What orators lack in depth they make up in length.

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Neighbour's extension

SubjectAuthor
* Neighbour's extensionJoeJoe
+* Re: Neighbour's extensionDavey
|+* Re: Neighbour's extensionJoeJoe
||`* Re: Neighbour's extensionFredxx
|| `* Re: Neighbour's extensionSteveW
||  `* Re: Neighbour's extensionLawrence
||   `- Re: Neighbour's extensionSteveW
|`* Re: Neighbour's extensionJNugent
| +* Re: Neighbour's extensionRod Speed
| |`- Re: Neighbour's extensionJNugent
| +- Re: Neighbour's extensionClive Arthur
| `* Re: Neighbour's extensionSteveW
|  `* Re: Neighbour's extensionJoeJoe
|   `* Re: Neighbour's extensionClive Arthur
|    `- Re: Neighbour's extensionJoeJoe
+* Re: Neighbour's extensionRoger Mills
|+- Re: Neighbour's extensionJoeJoe
|`* Re: Neighbour's extensionFredxx
| `- Re: Neighbour's extensionJoeJoe
+* Re: Neighbour's extensionAnimal
|+* Re: Neighbour's extensionfarter
||`* Re: Neighbour's extensionAnimal
|| `* Re: Neighbour's extensionfarter
||  `* Re: Neighbour's extensionAnimal
||   `- Re: Neighbour's extensionfarter
|+* Re: Neighbour's extensionRobin
||`* Re: Neighbour's extensionFredxx
|| `* Re: Neighbour's extensionRobin
||  `- Re: Neighbour's extensionClive Arthur
|+- Re: Neighbour's extensionJoeJoe
|`* Re: Neighbour's extensionSteveW
| `- Re: Neighbour's extensioncharles
+* Re: Neighbour's extensionMichael Chare
|`- Re: Neighbour's extensionJoeJoe
+* Re: Neighbour's extensionColin Bignell
|`- Re: Neighbour's extensionJoeJoe
+* Re: Neighbour's extensionBrian Gaff
|`- Re: Neighbour's extensionJoeJoe
+* Re: Neighbour's extensionJoeJoe
|+* Re: Neighbour's extensionAndy Burns
||+* Re: Neighbour's extensionJoeJoe
|||+- Re: Neighbour's extensionAndy Burns
|||+- Re: Neighbour's extensionRobin
|||`- Re: Neighbour's extensionRod Speed
||`- Re: Neighbour's extensionRod Speed
|+- Re: Neighbour's extensionRobin
|+* Re: Neighbour's extensionTricky Dicky
||`- Re: Neighbour's extensionRobin
|`* Re: Neighbour's extensionLawrence
| `- Re: Neighbour's extensionJoeJoe
+* Re: Neighbour's extensionBrian
|`- Re: Neighbour's extensionJoeJoe
+- Re: Neighbour's extensionTricky Dicky
`* Re: Neighbour's extensionJNugent
 +* Re: Neighbour's extensionRod Speed
 |`* Re: Neighbour's extensionJNugent
 | `- Re: Neighbour's extensionRod Speed
 `- Re: Neighbour's extensionJoeJoe

Pages:123
Neighbour's extension

<34udnQ8Le9vQonT-nZ2dnZfqn_udnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=88294&group=uk.d-i-y#88294

Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2023 19:34:36 +0000
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
From: no...@mail.com (JoeJoe)
Subject: Neighbour's extension
 by: JoeJoe - Sun, 12 Feb 2023 19:34 UTC

New neighbours moved in next door. They immediately submitted an
application for a kitchen/dining room extension that will take their
house right to the boundary (minus 30cm to allow for a gutter...).

Photos are here:

https://ibb.co/FVs3xyD
https://ibb.co/Lt9Ccsm

No windows in the extension will face us, but a 5.4m long wall, around
3m+ high or so, alongside our garage and garden shed, leaving us on our
side with a narrow, very dark path (corridor) around 1.2m wide where we
keep our bins.

They sit east of us, both houses are detached, reasonably large, as are
all the houses in the neighbourhood.

Houses are on a slight slope – our house is slightly higher than theirs.
The lowest point of our land – the path above, is around 50cm higher
than the highest point of their land – where the wall of the new
extension will be. There is a retaining wall around 50cm high on our
boundary, holding the path mentioned above in place. We also have a low
wooden fence on our side, marking the boundary, at the top of the
retaining wall.

These are the point under which our local council is prepared to
entertain comments/objections:
• Amenity (e.g. noise, traffic, impact on sunlight or privacy)
• Design (e.g. height of building, density of development, detailing and
materials, or how the proposed development takes account of its surrounding)
• Environmental Impact (e.g. loss of trees or open space, flooding or
impact on wildlife)
• Policy (e.g. has the proposal taken account of the development plan)
• Access (e.g. public transport access, adequacy of parking provision or
cycle and footpath provision)
It doesn’t look as if we have any real ground for a major objection, right?

The real issue I see is that under the plan they will have a 30cm wide,
5.4m long, gap between our lowish retaining wall and the wall of their
extension. They claim that they will install some sort of drainage along
the gap (similar to the one you put in front of a garage door?).

We get *a lot* of leaves in the autumn. And I mean a lot. They plan to
have flat/felt roof, so should be able to clean the gutter of the
extension from above, but the gap between the extension and our
retaining wall is guaranteed to be filled with leaves in no time, and
there is no way that I can think of that they will be able to clear it
without standing on our land (what if we choose to raise our fence along
it to 1.8m for example?).

Also, the wall facing us is intended to be rendered, meaning that they
will have to do it from or land as well... Are we obliged to give them
permission to do that?

I don’t know them, only bumped into them for a quick chat a couple of
weeks ago, and am generally quite pissed off that they didn’t have the
courtesy to mention it to us at all at all before submitting the plans,
so am not particularly inclined to be helpful.

Any thought will be much appreciated.

Re: Neighbour's extension

<tsbgee$1qhud$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=88298&group=uk.d-i-y#88298

From: dav...@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Neighbour's extension
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2023 19:59:10 +0000
 by: Davey - Sun, 12 Feb 2023 19:59 UTC

On Sun, 12 Feb 2023 19:34:36 +0000
JoeJoe <no@mail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>
> We get *a lot* of leaves in the autumn. And I mean a lot. They plan
> to have flat/felt roof, so should be able to clean the gutter of the
> extension from above, but the gap between the extension and our
> retaining wall is guaranteed to be filled with leaves in no time,
> and there is no way that I can think of that they will be able to
> clear it without standing on our land (what if we choose to raise our
> fence along it to 1.8m for example?).
>
> Also, the wall facing us is intended to be rendered, meaning that
> they will have to do it from or land as well... Are we obliged to
> give them permission to do that?
>
> I don’t know them, only bumped into them for a quick chat a couple of
> weeks ago, and am generally quite pissed off that they didn’t have
> the courtesy to mention it to us at all at all before submitting the
> plans, so am not particularly inclined to be helpful.

Not much help, but I feel for you. Our neighbours built a two-storey
extension at the rear of their house, completely spoiling the view from
one of our bedrooms, and blocking the sky off. On a sunny day, bright
light is reflected into our house from the new white render, almost
blinding us. The Planning Dept. was totally unsympathetic to us, saying
that there was no issue with the loss of daylight or amenity, it fell
within the vague rules. We were only informed of the plan when the
planning notice went up on the telegraph pole outside.
--
Davey.

Re: Neighbour's extension

<R0GdnW4Xy4hBynT-nZ2dnZfqn_ednZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=88315&group=uk.d-i-y#88315

Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2023 21:19:06 +0000
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
From: no...@mail.com (JoeJoe)
 by: JoeJoe - Sun, 12 Feb 2023 21:19 UTC

On 12/02/2023 19:59, Davey wrote:
> [...]
>> give them permission to do that?
>>
>> I don’t know them, only bumped into them for a quick chat a couple of
>> weeks ago, and am generally quite pissed off that they didn’t have
>> the courtesy to mention it to us at all at all before submitting the
>> plans, so am not particularly inclined to be helpful.
>>
>> Any thought will be much appreciated.
>
> Not much help, but I feel for you. Our neighbours built a two-storey
> extension at the rear of their house, completely spoiling the view from
> one of our bedrooms, and blocking the sky off. On a sunny day, bright
> light is reflected into our house from the new white render, almost
> blinding us. The Planning Dept. was totally unsympathetic to us, saying
> that there was no issue with the loss of daylight or amenity, it fell
> within the vague rules. We were only informed of the plan when the
> planning notice went up on the telegraph pole outside.

Thanks.

Luckily we have no window facing that way. We are not holding our
breath when it comes to the planning department.

Re: Neighbour's extension

<tsbltn$1sht3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=88317&group=uk.d-i-y#88317

From: fre...@spam.uk (Fredxx)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2023 21:32:39 +0000
 by: Fredxx - Sun, 12 Feb 2023 21:32 UTC

On 12/02/2023 21:19, JoeJoe wrote:
> [...]
>>> the courtesy to mention it to us at all at all before submitting the
>>> plans, so am not particularly inclined to be helpful.
>>>
>>> Any thought will be much appreciated.
>>
>> Not much help, but I feel for you. Our neighbours built a two-storey
>> extension at the rear of their house, completely spoiling the view from
>> one of our bedrooms, and blocking the sky off. On a sunny day, bright
>> light is reflected into our house from the new white render, almost
>> blinding us. The Planning Dept. was totally unsympathetic to us, saying
>> that there was no issue with the loss of daylight or amenity, it fell
>> within the vague rules. We were only informed of the plan when the
>> planning notice went up on the telegraph pole outside.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Luckily we have no window facing that way.  We are not holding our
> breath when it comes to the planning department.

I'm not experienced in these matters but I can't see any justification
for objecting. 300mm isn't a lot for access, and that would be my issue.

On the other hand why not ask them to move the wall onto the boundary
and making it a party wall, one that you have the right to use for your
own purposes, ensure the footings are wide enough for your internal
wall. You then have the option if to make you garage wider at reduced
cost, or convert it into a bigger room?

There would need to be a communal valley to take water from both properties.

Put in planing at the same time. Keep renewing every 5 years if you
don't start work.

Re: Neighbour's extension

<k4t865FebqbU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=88323&group=uk.d-i-y#88323

From: mills37....@gmail.com (Roger Mills)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2023 22:40:06 +0000
 by: Roger Mills - Sun, 12 Feb 2023 22:40 UTC

On 12/02/2023 19:34, JoeJoe wrote:

> [...]
> have flat/felt roof, so should be able to clean the gutter of the
> extension from above, but the gap between the extension and our
> retaining wall  is guaranteed to be filled with leaves in no time, and
> there is no way that I can think of that they will be able to clear it
> without standing on our land (what if we choose to raise our fence along
> it to 1.8m for example?).
>
> Also, the wall facing us is intended to be rendered, meaning that they
> will have to do it from or land as well... Are we obliged to give them
> permission to do that?
>
> I don’t know them, only bumped into them for a quick chat a couple of
> weeks ago, and am generally quite pissed off that they didn’t have the
> courtesy to mention it to us at all at all before submitting the plans,
> so am not particularly inclined to be helpful.

It would have been courteous to have consulted you before making the
planning application, but there's no legal obligation to do that.

I can't really see any planning reasons which would cause the
application to be refused. The space which you have for getting to the
back of the garage isn't being reduced. The main issue seems to be
leaves collecting on the other side of your fence, which will be
difficult to remove. Could you come to some agreement to box in that
space to stop it filling up with leaves? Or even, what about removing
your fence to give you a bit more elbow room, and treating their
extension wall as the effective Boundary?
--
Cheers,
Roger

Re: Neighbour's extension

<1d77f6a7-323a-428b-b650-48fe95d4d039n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=88324&group=uk.d-i-y#88324

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2023 14:42:14 -0800 (PST)
From: tabbyp...@gmail.com (Animal)
 by: Animal - Sun, 12 Feb 2023 22:42 UTC

On Sunday, 12 February 2023 at 19:34:46 UTC, JoeJoe wrote:
> [...]
> have flat/felt roof, so should be able to clean the gutter of the
> extension from above, but the gap between the extension and our
> retaining wall is guaranteed to be filled with leaves in no time, and
> there is no way that I can think of that they will be able to clear it
> without standing on our land (what if we choose to raise our fence along
> it to 1.8m for example?).
>
> Also, the wall facing us is intended to be rendered, meaning that they
> will have to do it from or land as well... Are we obliged to give them
> permission to do that?
>
> I don’t know them, only bumped into them for a quick chat a couple of
> weeks ago, and am generally quite pissed off that they didn’t have the
> courtesy to mention it to us at all at all before submitting the plans,
> so am not particularly inclined to be helpful.

A foot gap isn't enough to maintain the wall, so it will eventually become dangerous.

Re: Neighbour's extension

<tsbq4e$1t2dl$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=88325&group=uk.d-i-y#88325

From: mUNDERSC...@chareDOTorg.uk (Michael Chare)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2023 22:44:29 +0000
 by: Michael Chare - Sun, 12 Feb 2023 22:44 UTC

> [...]
> have flat/felt roof, so should be able to clean the gutter of the
> extension from above, but the gap between the extension and our
> retaining wall  is guaranteed to be filled with leaves in no time, and
> there is no way that I can think of that they will be able to clear it
> without standing on our land (what if we choose to raise our fence along
> it to 1.8m for example?).
>
> Also, the wall facing us is intended to be rendered, meaning that they
> will have to do it from or land as well... Are we obliged to give them
> permission to do that?
>
> I don’t know them, only bumped into them for a quick chat a couple of
> weeks ago, and am generally quite pissed off that they didn’t have the
> courtesy to mention it to us at all at all before submitting the plans,
> so am not particularly inclined to be helpful.

Phone the planning department and ask them what they think. You could
also speak to the building inspectors especially regarding any drainage.

--
Michael Chare

Re: Neighbour's extension

<op.1z9zgqnmsj0x4p@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=88326&group=uk.d-i-y#88326

From: tsr...@gmail.com (farter)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2023 09:59:04 +1100
 by: farter - Sun, 12 Feb 2023 22:59 UTC

On Mon, 13 Feb 2023 09:42:14 +1100, Animal <tabbypurr@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>> extension from above, but the gap between the extension and our
>> retaining wall is guaranteed to be filled with leaves in no time, and
>> there is no way that I can think of that they will be able to clear it
>> without standing on our land (what if we choose to raise our fence along
>> it to 1.8m for example?).
>>
>> Also, the wall facing us is intended to be rendered, meaning that they
>> will have to do it from or land as well... Are we obliged to give them
>> permission to do that?
>>
>> I don’t know them, only bumped into them for a quick chat a couple of
>> weeks ago, and am generally quite pissed off that they didn’t have the
>> courtesy to mention it to us at all at all before submitting the plans,
>> so am not particularly inclined to be helpful.
>>
>> Any thought will be much appreciated.
>
> A foot gap isn't enough to maintain the wall,

A properly built wall doesnt need any maintenance.

> so it will eventually become dangerous.

Bullshit.

Re: Neighbour's extension

<X6qcnRRs_8ty7XT-nZ2dnZeNn_qdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=88328&group=uk.d-i-y#88328

Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2023 23:06:43 +0000
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
From: cpb...@bignellREMOVETHIS.me.uk (Colin Bignell)
 by: Colin Bignell - Sun, 12 Feb 2023 23:06 UTC

On 12/02/2023 19:34, JoeJoe wrote:

> New neighbours moved in next door. They immediately submitted an
> application for a kitchen/dining room extension that will take their
> house right to the boundary (minus 30cm to allow for a gutter...).
>
> Photos are here:
>
> https://ibb.co/FVs3xyD
> https://ibb.co/Lt9Ccsm
>
> No windows in the extension will face us, but a  5.4m long wall, around
> 3m+ high or so, alongside our garage and garden shed, leaving us on our
> side with a narrow, very dark path (corridor) around 1.2m wide where we
> keep our bins.
>
> They sit east of us, both houses are detached, reasonably large, as are
> all the houses in the neighbourhood.
>
> Houses are on a slight slope – our house is slightly higher than theirs.
> The lowest point of our land – the path above, is around 50cm higher
> than the highest point of their land – where the wall of the new
> extension will be. There is a retaining wall around 50cm high on our
> boundary, holding the path mentioned above in place. We also have a low
> wooden fence on our side, marking the boundary, at the top of the
> retaining wall.
>
> These are the point under which our local council is prepared to
> entertain comments/objections:
> •    Amenity (e.g. noise, traffic, impact on sunlight or privacy)
> •    Design (e.g. height of building, density of development, detailing
> and materials, or how the proposed development takes account of its
> surrounding)
> •    Environmental Impact  (e.g. loss of trees or open space, flooding
> or impact on wildlife)
> •    Policy (e.g. has the proposal taken account of the development plan)
> •    Access (e.g. public transport access, adequacy of parking provision
> or cycle and footpath provision)
> It doesn’t look as if we have any real ground for a major objection, right?
>
> The real issue I see is that under the plan they will have a 30cm wide,
> 5.4m long, gap between our lowish retaining wall and the wall of their
> extension. They claim that they will install some sort of drainage along
> the gap (similar to the one you put in front of a garage door?).
>
> We get *a lot* of leaves in the autumn. And I mean a lot. They plan to
> have flat/felt roof, so should be able to clean the gutter of the
> extension from above, but the gap between the extension and our
> retaining wall  is guaranteed to be filled with leaves in no time, and
> there is no way that I can think of that they will be able to clear it
> without standing on our land (what if we choose to raise our fence along
> it to 1.8m for example?).

Why not ask the neighbour what plans he has to remove leaves from that
space? He might have not thought about the problem, or he might have
already have an answer you hadn't thought of. Perhaps a 30cm wide rake
with a very long handle.

> Also, the wall facing us is intended to be rendered, meaning that they
> will have to do it from or land as well... Are we obliged to give them
> permission to do that?
>
> I don’t know them, only bumped into them for a quick chat a couple of
> weeks ago, and am generally quite pissed off that they didn’t have the
> courtesy to mention it to us at all at all before submitting the plans,
> so am not particularly inclined to be helpful.
>
> Any thought will be much appreciated.

--
Colin Bignell

Re: Neighbour's extension

<tsbruo$1tbg1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=88329&group=uk.d-i-y#88329

From: ste...@walker-family.me.uk (SteveW)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2023 23:15:37 +0000
 by: SteveW - Sun, 12 Feb 2023 23:15 UTC

On 12/02/2023 21:32, Fredxx wrote:
> On 12/02/2023 21:19, JoeJoe wrote:
>> On 12/02/2023 19:59, Davey wrote:

>>> Not much help, but I feel for you. Our neighbours built a two-storey
>>> extension at the rear of their house, completely spoiling the view from
>>> one of our bedrooms, and blocking the sky off. On a sunny day, bright
>>> light is reflected into our house from the new white render, almost
>>> blinding us. The Planning Dept. was totally unsympathetic to us, saying
>>> that there was no issue with the loss of daylight or amenity, it fell
>>> within the vague rules. We were only informed of the plan when the
>>> planning notice went up on the telegraph pole outside.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Luckily we have no window facing that way.  We are not holding our
>> breath when it comes to the planning department.
>
> I'm not experienced in these matters but I can't see any justification
> for objecting. 300mm isn't a lot for access, and that would be my issue.
>
> On the other hand why not ask them to move the wall onto the boundary
> and making it a party wall, one that you have the right to use for your
> own purposes, ensure the footings are wide enough for your internal
> wall. You then have the option if to make you garage wider at reduced
> cost, or convert it into a bigger room?

Our house (semi-detached) already has both extensions built right up to
each other on the boundary. When the neighbours applied for permission
for a further extension (they later abandoned the idea), my response to
the council was to build it up to the boundary, instead of just off it,
in case we extended in the future.

> There would need to be a communal valley to take water from both
> properties.

It wouldn't have been a problem in our case, as the existing extensions
have flat roofs and drain backwards from the house and not to the side.

> Put in planing at the same time. Keep renewing every 5 years if you
> don't start work.

We didn't bother, as we couldn't afford it at the time and the
neighbours also gave up on their plans.

Re: Neighbour's extension

<84bc4e96-7794-e1dd-1558-cd120bde2310@outlook.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=88333&group=uk.d-i-y#88333

From: rbw...@outlook.com (Robin)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2023 00:13:24 +0000
 by: Robin - Mon, 13 Feb 2023 00:13 UTC

On 12/02/2023 22:42, Animal wrote:
> [...]
>> extension from above, but the gap between the extension and our
>> retaining wall is guaranteed to be filled with leaves in no time, and
>> there is no way that I can think of that they will be able to clear it
>> without standing on our land (what if we choose to raise our fence along
>> it to 1.8m for example?).
>>
>> Also, the wall facing us is intended to be rendered, meaning that they
>> will have to do it from or land as well... Are we obliged to give them
>> permission to do that?
>>
>> I don’t know them, only bumped into them for a quick chat a couple of
>> weeks ago, and am generally quite pissed off that they didn’t have the
>> courtesy to mention it to us at all at all before submitting the plans,
>> so am not particularly inclined to be helpful.
>>
>> Any thought will be much appreciated.
>
> A foot gap isn't enough to maintain the wall, so it will eventually become dangerous.

As I read it any essential maintenance could be carried out from the
OP's land - for which the neighbours could if required seek an access
order under the Access to Neighbouring Land Act 1992.

The trickier issue is if the OP extends. Hence the potential benefit of
building to the boundary.

--
Robin

Re: Neighbour's extension

<71ff795a-0fee-4160-b524-7c243e9149d9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=88334&group=uk.d-i-y#88334

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2023 17:07:54 -0800 (PST)
From: jj.coc...@gmail.com (JoeJoe)
 by: JoeJoe - Mon, 13 Feb 2023 01:07 UTC

On Sunday, February 12, 2023 at 10:40:10 PM UTC, Roger Mills wrote:
> [...]
> > retaining wall is guaranteed to be filled with leaves in no time, and
> > there is no way that I can think of that they will be able to clear it
> > without standing on our land (what if we choose to raise our fence along
> > it to 1.8m for example?).
> >
> > Also, the wall facing us is intended to be rendered, meaning that they
> > will have to do it from or land as well... Are we obliged to give them
> > permission to do that?
> >
> > I don’t know them, only bumped into them for a quick chat a couple of
> > weeks ago, and am generally quite pissed off that they didn’t have the
> > courtesy to mention it to us at all at all before submitting the plans,
> > so am not particularly inclined to be helpful.
> >
> > Any thought will be much appreciated.
> It would have been courteous to have consulted you before making the
> planning application, but there's no legal obligation to do that.

Fully awae of that. We are very good neighbours usually, never had any issue with anyone in decades. But I don't tend to have much time for people wo have no time for me...

We would have let it pass as is without any issue, but since they couldn't care less about our view, we may choose not to be helpful in retun

> I can't really see any planning reasons which would cause the
> application to be refused. The space which you have for getting to the
> back of the garage isn't being reduced. The main issue seems to be
> leaves collecting on the other side of your fence, which will be
> difficult to remove. Could you come to some agreement to box in that
> space to stop it filling up with leaves? Or even, what about removing
> your fence to give you a bit more elbow room, and treating their
> extension wall as the effective Boundary?

All are things that we would have been happy to suggest usually. We really are very easy going when it comes to neighbours. We feel less inclined to do so with the new lot. Especially as they will completely depend on us giving them access to our land to clear the gap so it does not damage their new wall.

Re: Neighbour's extension

<tsc2i1$1u1ui$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=88335&group=uk.d-i-y#88335

From: fre...@spam.uk (Fredxx)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2023 01:08:18 +0000
 by: Fredxx - Mon, 13 Feb 2023 01:08 UTC

On 12/02/2023 22:40, Roger Mills wrote:
> [...]
>> without standing on our land (what if we choose to raise our fence
>> along it to 1.8m for example?).
>>
>> Also, the wall facing us is intended to be rendered, meaning that they
>> will have to do it from or land as well... Are we obliged to give them
>> permission to do that?
>>
>> I don’t know them, only bumped into them for a quick chat a couple of
>> weeks ago, and am generally quite pissed off that they didn’t have the
>> courtesy to mention it to us at all at all before submitting the
>> plans, so am not particularly inclined to be helpful.
>>
>> Any thought will be much appreciated.
>
> It would have been courteous to have consulted you before making the
> planning application, but there's no legal obligation to do that.
>
> I can't really see any planning reasons which would cause the
> application to be refused. The space which you have for getting to the

I don't think 30cm is enough clearance to expect anyone to build the
wall without incursion into the OP's grounds. Similarly for post
maintenance. It also depends on who owns the fence, and if owned by the
neighbour, this will further encroach onto their grounds, reducing
access still further.

> The main issue seems to be
> leaves collecting on the other side of your fence, which will be
> difficult to remove. Could you come to some agreement to box in that
> space to stop it filling up with leaves? Or even, what about removing
> your fence to give you a bit more elbow room, and treating their
> extension wall as the effective Boundary?

That could be a good compromise if they agreed to it.

Re: Neighbour's extension

<tsc2l8$1u1ui$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=88336&group=uk.d-i-y#88336

From: fre...@spam.uk (Fredxx)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2023 01:10:01 +0000
 by: Fredxx - Mon, 13 Feb 2023 01:10 UTC

On 13/02/2023 00:13, Robin wrote:
> [...]
>>> it to 1.8m for example?).
>>>
>>> Also, the wall facing us is intended to be rendered, meaning that they
>>> will have to do it from or land as well... Are we obliged to give them
>>> permission to do that?
>>>
>>> I don’t know them, only bumped into them for a quick chat a couple of
>>> weeks ago, and am generally quite pissed off that they didn’t have the
>>> courtesy to mention it to us at all at all before submitting the plans,
>>> so am not particularly inclined to be helpful.
>>>
>>> Any thought will be much appreciated.
>>
>> A foot gap isn't enough to maintain the wall, so it will eventually
>> become dangerous.
>
> As I read it any essential maintenance could be carried out from the
> OP's land - for which the neighbours could if required seek an access
> order under the Access to Neighbouring Land Act 1992.

Which would be a genuine cause for opposing the application as-is.

> The trickier issue is if the OP extends. Hence the potential benefit of
> building to the boundary.

Hence my earlier post.

Re: Neighbour's extension

<95a1c94b-c07d-48bd-91fe-c5d991849232n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=88337&group=uk.d-i-y#88337

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2023 17:15:35 -0800 (PST)
From: jj.coc...@gmail.com (JoeJoe)
 by: JoeJoe - Mon, 13 Feb 2023 01:15 UTC

On Sunday, February 12, 2023 at 10:42:16 PM UTC, Animal wrote:
> [...]
> > extension from above, but the gap between the extension and our
> > retaining wall is guaranteed to be filled with leaves in no time, and
> > there is no way that I can think of that they will be able to clear it
> > without standing on our land (what if we choose to raise our fence along
> > it to 1.8m for example?).
> >
> > Also, the wall facing us is intended to be rendered, meaning that they
> > will have to do it from or land as well... Are we obliged to give them
> > permission to do that?
> >
> > I don’t know them, only bumped into them for a quick chat a couple of
> > weeks ago, and am generally quite pissed off that they didn’t have the
> > courtesy to mention it to us at all at all before submitting the plans,
> > so am not particularly inclined to be helpful.
> >
> > Any thought will be much appreciated.
> A foot gap isn't enough to maintain the wall, so it will eventually become dangerous.

Their new wall will have a foot of rotting leaves against it within one year. If not higher than that. If we choose to leave the low fence that we have there now if will fill to the top of it (1m or so up their new wall). With the only access to clear it for them is by coming from our property. It will also block the drainage that they intend to install.

I spend considerable time every year collecting and clearing leaves - something in the region of between half to a whole skip in volume every year. Plus cleaning the gutters 3 times until all the leaves are down and the drainage in front of our garage. Every year.

Re: Neighbour's extension

<a0291b21-490f-43b3-a144-591fae1cab14n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=88338&group=uk.d-i-y#88338

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2023 17:17:54 -0800 (PST)
From: jj.coc...@gmail.com (JoeJoe)
 by: JoeJoe - Mon, 13 Feb 2023 01:17 UTC

On Monday, February 13, 2023 at 1:08:24 AM UTC, Fredxx wrote:
> [...]
> >> weeks ago, and am generally quite pissed off that they didn’t have the
> >> courtesy to mention it to us at all at all before submitting the
> >> plans, so am not particularly inclined to be helpful.
> >>
> >> Any thought will be much appreciated.
> >
> > It would have been courteous to have consulted you before making the
> > planning application, but there's no legal obligation to do that.
> >
> > I can't really see any planning reasons which would cause the
> > application to be refused. The space which you have for getting to the
> > back of the garage isn't being reduced.

> I don't think 30cm is enough clearance to expect anyone to build the
> wall without incursion into the OP's grounds. Similarly for post
> maintenance. It also depends on who owns the fence, and if owned by the
> neighbour, this will further encroach onto their grounds, reducing

The fence is on our land - on the top of the retaining wall.

> > The main issue seems to be
> > leaves collecting on the other side of your fence, which will be
> > difficult to remove. Could you come to some agreement to box in that
> > space to stop it filling up with leaves? Or even, what about removing
> > your fence to give you a bit more elbow room, and treating their
> > extension wall as the effective Boundary?
> That could be a good compromise if they agreed to it.

Re: Neighbour's extension

<266c2ce5-d4b8-c61b-2c02-8e75a53233bc@outlook.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=88343&group=uk.d-i-y#88343

From: rbw...@outlook.com (Robin)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2023 08:54:58 +0000
 by: Robin - Mon, 13 Feb 2023 08:54 UTC

On 13/02/2023 01:10, Fredxx wrote:
> On 13/02/2023 00:13, Robin wrote:

>>> A foot gap isn't enough to maintain the wall, so it will eventually
>>> become dangerous.
>>
>> As I read it any essential maintenance could be carried out from the
>> OP's land - for which the neighbours could if required seek an access
>> order under the Access to Neighbouring Land Act 1992.
>
> Which would be a genuine cause for opposing the application as-is.

Planning Policy Guidance Note 1 used to say that access for maintenance
was not a material planning consideration. I'd be interested to know if
that's changed - as I think would the many councils who say the same in
their current guidance.

There is of course the separate issue of access to build which is also
not a matter for the planners - and not covered by the 1992 Act.

--
Robin

Re: Neighbour's extension

<tsd37n$24bmt$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=88358&group=uk.d-i-y#88358

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2023 10:25:59 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Mon, 13 Feb 2023 10:25 UTC

I think you will need to at least be diplomatic first off, as with all the
other things that are probably being done to the property, they may well
just have not got round to mentioning it. If you could both get your heads
together, you might be able to reach a compromise.
The original neighbours next to my house have shot themselves in the foot,
since the downpipes from their bathroom and the ability to paint and re
render the wall have been ruined by the amount of room left between an
existing wall and their building line. as far as people can see, some
rather messy render was put on obviously by a very thin man, but we never
saw it done. Shortly afterwards they moved out and every occupant since has
cursed the builders decision. I don't see why our wall should be taken down
because of somebody elses cock-up.

I guess the other side of our wall is a mess by now, also but as I cannot
see it who cares.

Beware if your sewer will run under their extension. The builders completely
cocked this up as well, and the building inspector made them dig up the
kitchen floor with a pneumatic drill and fix it. That was a very noisy
weekend and must have cost a packet. It had to be done as all the houses are
joined together by this sewer.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"JoeJoe" <no@mail.com> wrote in message

> [...]
> have flat/felt roof, so should be able to clean the gutter of the
> extension from above, but the gap between the extension and our retaining
> wall is guaranteed to be filled with leaves in no time, and there is no
> way that I can think of that they will be able to clear it without
> standing on our land (what if we choose to raise our fence along it to
> 1.8m for example?).
>
> Also, the wall facing us is intended to be rendered, meaning that they
> will have to do it from or land as well... Are we obliged to give them
> permission to do that?
>
> I don't know them, only bumped into them for a quick chat a couple of
> weeks ago, and am generally quite pissed off that they didn't have the
> courtesy to mention it to us at all at all before submitting the plans, so
> am not particularly inclined to be helpful.

<8NadnRxdLYIGj3f-nZ2dnZfqnPednZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=88362&group=uk.d-i-y#88362

Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2023 10:36:11 +0000
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
From: no...@mail.com (JoeJoe)
 by: JoeJoe - Mon, 13 Feb 2023 10:36 UTC

On 12/02/2023 22:44, Michael Chare wrote:
> [...]
>> retaining wall  is guaranteed to be filled with leaves in no time, and
>> there is no way that I can think of that they will be able to clear it
>> without standing on our land (what if we choose to raise our fence
>> along it to 1.8m for example?).
>>
>> Also, the wall facing us is intended to be rendered, meaning that they
>> will have to do it from or land as well... Are we obliged to give them
>> permission to do that?
>>
>> I don’t know them, only bumped into them for a quick chat a couple of
>> weeks ago, and am generally quite pissed off that they didn’t have the
>> courtesy to mention it to us at all at all before submitting the
>> plans, so am not particularly inclined to be helpful.
>>
>> Any thought will be much appreciated.
>
> Phone the planning department and ask them what they think.  You could
> also speak to the building inspectors especially regarding any drainage.

Good advice - will do that!

Re: Neighbour's extension

<8NadnR9dLYK5jnf-nZ2dnZfqnPcAAAAA@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=88363&group=uk.d-i-y#88363

Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!usenet.blueworldhosting.com!feed1.usenet.blueworldhosting.com!peer02.iad!feed-me.highwinds-media.com!news.highwinds-media.com!feeder.usenetexpress.com!tr2.iad1.usenetexpress.com!69.80.99.18.MISMATCH!border-1.nntp.ord.giganews.com!border-2.nntp.ord.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!Xl.tags.giganews.com!local-1.nntp.ord.giganews.com!nntp.brightview.co.uk!news.brightview.co.uk.POSTED!not-for-mail
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2023 10:38:28 +0000
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
From: no...@mail.com (JoeJoe)
 by: JoeJoe - Mon, 13 Feb 2023 10:38 UTC

On 12/02/2023 23:06, Colin Bignell wrote:
> On 12/02/2023 19:34, JoeJoe wrote:
>>
>> New neighbours moved in next door. They immediately submitted an
>> application for a kitchen/dining room extension that will take their
>> house right to the boundary (minus 30cm to allow for a gutter...).
>>
>> Photos are here:
>>
>> https://ibb.co/FVs3xyD
>> https://ibb.co/Lt9Ccsm
>>
>> No windows in the extension will face us, but a  5.4m long wall,
>> around 3m+ high or so, alongside our garage and garden shed, leaving
>> us on our side with a narrow, very dark path (corridor) around 1.2m
>> wide where we keep our bins.
>>
>> They sit east of us, both houses are detached, reasonably large, as
>> are all the houses in the neighbourhood.
>>
>> Houses are on a slight slope – our house is slightly higher than
>> theirs. The lowest point of our land – the path above, is around 50cm
>> higher than the highest point of their land – where the wall of the
>> new extension will be. There is a retaining wall around 50cm high on
>> our boundary, holding the path mentioned above in place. We also have
>> a low wooden fence on our side, marking the boundary, at the top of
>> the retaining wall.
>>
>> These are the point under which our local council is prepared to
>> entertain comments/objections:
>> •    Amenity (e.g. noise, traffic, impact on sunlight or privacy)
>> •    Design (e.g. height of building, density of development,
>> detailing and materials, or how the proposed development takes account
>> of its surrounding)
>> •    Environmental Impact  (e.g. loss of trees or open space, flooding
>> or impact on wildlife)
>> •    Policy (e.g. has the proposal taken account of the development plan)
>> •    Access (e.g. public transport access, adequacy of parking
>> provision or cycle and footpath provision)
>> It doesn’t look as if we have any real ground for a major objection,
>> right?
>>
>> The real issue I see is that under the plan they will have a 30cm
>> wide, 5.4m long, gap between our lowish retaining wall and the wall of
>> their extension. They claim that they will install some sort of
>> drainage along the gap (similar to the one you put in front of a
>> garage door?).
>>
>> We get *a lot* of leaves in the autumn. And I mean a lot. They plan to
>> have flat/felt roof, so should be able to clean the gutter of the
>> extension from above, but the gap between the extension and our
>> retaining wall  is guaranteed to be filled with leaves in no time, and
>> there is no way that I can think of that they will be able to clear it
>> without standing on our land (what if we choose to raise our fence
>> along it to 1.8m for example?).
>
> Why not ask the neighbour what plans he has to remove leaves from that
> space? He might have not thought about the problem, or he might have
> already have an answer you hadn't thought of. Perhaps a 30cm wide rake
> with a very long handle.

I doubt they have. Planning to speak to them sooner rather than later
and will discuss that too.

>> Also, the wall facing us is intended to be rendered, meaning that they
>> will have to do it from or land as well... Are we obliged to give them
>> permission to do that?
>>
>> I don’t know them, only bumped into them for a quick chat a couple of
>> weeks ago, and am generally quite pissed off that they didn’t have the
>> courtesy to mention it to us at all at all before submitting the
>> plans, so am not particularly inclined to be helpful.
>>
>> Any thought will be much appreciated.

Re: Neighbour's extension

<b35563eb-2cb2-47fe-861c-90ebd2bda4f7n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=88367&group=uk.d-i-y#88367

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2023 03:00:31 -0800 (PST)
From: jj.coc...@gmail.com (JoeJoe)
 by: JoeJoe - Mon, 13 Feb 2023 11:00 UTC

On Monday, February 13, 2023 at 10:26:03 AM UTC, Brian Gaff wrote:
> I think you will need to at least be diplomatic first off, as with all the
> other things that are probably being done to the property, they may well
> just have not got round to mentioning it. If you could both get your heads
> together, you might be able to reach a compromise.
> The original neighbours next to my house have shot themselves in the foot,
> since the downpipes from their bathroom and the ability to paint and re
> render the wall have been ruined by the amount of room left between an
> existing wall and their building line. as far as people can see, some
> rather messy render was put on obviously by a very thin man, but we never
> saw it done. Shortly afterwards they moved out and every occupant since has
> cursed the builders decision. I don't see why our wall should be taken down
> because of somebody elses cock-up.
>
> I guess the other side of our wall is a mess by now, also but as I cannot
> see it who cares.
>
> Beware if your sewer will run under their extension. The builders completely
> cocked this up as well, and the building inspector made them dig up the
> kitchen floor with a pneumatic drill and fix it. That was a very noisy
> weekend and must have cost a packet. It had to be done as all the houses are
> joined together by this sewer.
> Brian

All good points, thanks.

We are going to be diplomatic, but not necessarily as helpful as we would have been had they been better neighbours about it.

They have lost most/all our good will when they decided to present us with the drawn up plans and application yesterday without any warning.

Re: Neighbour's extension

<f7dcea8b-91ba-4a66-b31d-d813e5586f92n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=88380&group=uk.d-i-y#88380

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2023 05:26:04 -0800 (PST)
From: jj.coc...@gmail.com (JoeJoe)
 by: JoeJoe - Mon, 13 Feb 2023 13:26 UTC

On Sunday, February 12, 2023 at 7:34:46 PM UTC, JoeJoe wrote:
> [...]
> have flat/felt roof, so should be able to clean the gutter of the
> extension from above, but the gap between the extension and our
> retaining wall is guaranteed to be filled with leaves in no time, and
> there is no way that I can think of that they will be able to clear it
> without standing on our land (what if we choose to raise our fence along
> it to 1.8m for example?).
>
> Also, the wall facing us is intended to be rendered, meaning that they
> will have to do it from or land as well... Are we obliged to give them
> permission to do that?
>
> I don’t know them, only bumped into them for a quick chat a couple of
> weeks ago, and am generally quite pissed off that they didn’t have the
> courtesy to mention it to us at all at all before submitting the plans,
> so am not particularly inclined to be helpful.

Follow up question:

Are the neighbours allowed, without consulating with us and/or our approval, to build their extension up to the boundary between the properties?

Re: Neighbour's extension

<tsde42$25ihf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=88381&group=uk.d-i-y#88381

From: noi...@lid.org (Brian)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2023 13:31:46 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:3z+BhuSna1DQ/QT4kTFJQzpcV8Y=
 by: Brian - Mon, 13 Feb 2023 13:31 UTC

JoeJoe <no@mail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> have flat/felt roof, so should be able to clean the gutter of the
> extension from above, but the gap between the extension and our
> retaining wall is guaranteed to be filled with leaves in no time, and
> there is no way that I can think of that they will be able to clear it
> without standing on our land (what if we choose to raise our fence along
> it to 1.8m for example?).
>
> Also, the wall facing us is intended to be rendered, meaning that they
> will have to do it from or land as well... Are we obliged to give them
> permission to do that?
>
> I don’t know them, only bumped into them for a quick chat a couple of
> weeks ago, and am generally quite pissed off that they didn’t have the
> courtesy to mention it to us at all at all before submitting the plans,
> so am not particularly inclined to be helpful.

You could try arguing they should be not permitted to close the gap between
the properties, it may work if the other houses near by are generally well
spaced.

Some years back - maybe 200x - someone bought the old house house next door
to us, most houses in our road are relatively modern, detached, and
generally spaced out. The new owner wanted to build a new house and
approach us with the plans. I was quite happy, provide he maintained the
gap etc and when I mentioned this I’m sure he commented the planning people
had told him this would be required. I never measured the new gap but, if
it did change, I can’t tell.

Conversely, our previous house, a semi, only had a narrow gap to the next
house. I think that had been extended in the 60s but, while some houses
near by were spaced, others were not. It was never an issue to us, it was
like that when we bought it, there were no windows etc, or maintenance
issues. Our neighbour was amiable etc so we never had an issue.

Re: Neighbour's extension

<k4usf2FmdnkU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=88382&group=uk.d-i-y#88382

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2023 13:32:18 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Mon, 13 Feb 2023 13:32 UTC

JoeJoe wrote:

> Are the neighbours allowed, without consulating with us and/or our
> approval, to build their extension up to the boundary between the
> properties?

Would be difficult, likely to require foundations protruding into your
land ...

Re: Neighbour's extension

<67339c8a-2b01-477a-af61-e67b157b6420n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=88383&group=uk.d-i-y#88383

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2023 05:38:14 -0800 (PST)
From: jj.coc...@gmail.com (JoeJoe)
 by: JoeJoe - Mon, 13 Feb 2023 13:38 UTC

On Monday, February 13, 2023 at 1:32:23 PM UTC, Andy Burns wrote:
> JoeJoe wrote:
>
> > Are the neighbours allowed, without consulating with us and/or our
> > approval, to build their extension up to the boundary between the
> > properties?
> Would be difficult, likely to require foundations protruding into your
> land ...

Good ;-)