You roll my log, and I will roll yours. -- Lucius Annaeus Seneca

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Re: Kettle won’t stay on

SubjectAuthor
* Kettle won’t stay onTim+
+* Re: Kettle won’t stay onBob Eager
|`* Re: Kettle won´t stay onTim+
| +* Re: Kettle won´t stay onBob Eager
| |`- Re: Kettle won´t stay onGB
| `- Re: Kettle wont stay onBrian Gaff
+* Re: Kettle won't stay onNick Odell
|+- Re: Kettle won't stay onDavey
|+* Re: Kettle won't stay onTim+
||`- Re: Kettle won't stay onGB
|`* Re: Kettle won't stay onTim+
| +- Re: Kettle won't stay onDavey
| `* Re: Kettle won't stay onJoe
|  +* Re: Kettle won't stay onTim+
|  |+- Re: Kettle won't stay onJoe
|  |+- Re: Kettle won't stay onAnimal
|  |`* Re: Kettle won't stay onPaul
|  | +- Re: Kettle won't stay onTim+
|  | `- Re: Kettle won't stay onAnimal
|  `* Re: Kettle won't stay onThe Natural Philosopher
|   `- Re: Kettle won't stay onJeff Gaines
+* Re: Kettle won’t stay onJohn J
|+- Re: Kettle won’t stay onTim+
|`- Re: Kettle won’t stay onAnimal
+* Re: Kettle won't stay onBrian Gaff
|`* Re: Kettle won't stay onMax Demian
| `* Re: Kettle won't stay on (update)Tim+
|  +- Re: Kettle won't stay on (update)Max Demian
|  `- Re: Kettle won't stay on (update)Paul
`- Re: Kettle won’t stay onSargan

Pages:12
Re: Kettle won’t stay on

<4f10c5a6-b4a3-47f6-b5e6-1970b7a19affn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=87523&group=uk.d-i-y#87523

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2023 13:14:51 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re:_Kettle_won’t_stay_on
From: tabbyp...@gmail.com (Animal)
 by: Animal - Sun, 5 Feb 2023 21:14 UTC

On Sunday, 5 February 2023 at 07:18:14 UTC, johnje...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Saturday, 4 February 2023 at 14:31:44 UTC, Tim+ wrote:
> > Our previously reliable electric kettle has taken to turning itself off a
> > few seconds after turning it on. If I hold the switch down it boils as
> > normal. It’s turning itself off long before and steam is generated so it
> > can’t be the normal cut-out that’s tripping and only if the kettle is
> > powered so it seems unlikely that it’s a simple mechanical fault.
> >
> > Anyone got any ideas as to what might be wrong? I’ve had a quick shufty
> > and there’s some surface corrosion on a spring disk that forms part of the
> > switch but not a lot. Can’t see how/why that would limit the switch to a
> > few seconds of functioning.
> >
> > Tim

> At current cost to replace with an El cheapo supermarket kettle I wouldn't waste more than five minutes of my time on it.

5 minutes for £20 = £240 an hour. I daresay most diyers don't make that much. The days of £3 kettles are over.

Re: Kettle won't stay on

<6b5442cc-8f0e-4604-8947-6d1b38af9337n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=87524&group=uk.d-i-y#87524

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2023 13:16:57 -0800 (PST)
From: tabbyp...@gmail.com (Animal)
 by: Animal - Sun, 5 Feb 2023 21:16 UTC

On Sunday, 5 February 2023 at 08:11:11 UTC, Paul wrote:
> On 2/4/2023 4:23 PM, Tim+ wrote:
> > Joe <j...@jretrading.com> wrote:

> >> Not being very helpful, but the switch mechanism has the extra
> >> complication of responding to the state of boiling, so the mechanical
> >> state keeping the switch on gets flipped off by a relatively small
> >> movement. You might be looking either for a fastening having loosened
> >> and made the mechanism 'hair trigger', or possibly that something has
> >> distorted with time and heat and now sits much closer to the 'turn it
> >> off' state.
> >>
> >> It may take only ten seconds for a turned-on kettle to start making
> >> noise, and I suspect that low-level vibration will occur before it
> >> actually becomes audible.
> >>

> > Except, it’s not the main kettle switch that’s clicking off, it’s something
> > else in the base of the kettle that’s cutting the power.
> >
> > Tim
> >
> There's an example of a thermal cutoff in the bottom of this one.
>
> https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Ovente+Electric+Kettle+KS88+Series+Disassembly/137016
>
> Not that seeing it open, is helping me.
>
> I presume a worn item with wear and tear on it,
> would give away its secret that way.
>
> It could be that the element has come loose of the base (corrosion),
> and the water is no longer sinking the heat.
>
> Paul

can't see the pics, but usually there's a bimetal switch plus a one shot overheat cutout. It can't be the latter misbehaving in this case, it can only really be the bimetal.

Re: Kettle won't stay on (update)

<trqrnc$32oqh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=87586&group=uk.d-i-y#87586

From: max_dem...@bigfoot.com (Max Demian)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Kettle won't stay on (update)
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2023 12:27:24 +0000
 by: Max Demian - Mon, 6 Feb 2023 12:27 UTC

On 05/02/2023 18:54, Tim+ wrote:
> Max Demian <max_demian@bigfoot.com> wrote:
>> On 05/02/2023 12:00, Brian Gaff wrote:
>>
>>> I had this with a Murphy Richards one, and after a few squirts of wd 40, it
>>> worked. The normal kettle switch will not stay on if there is no power, so I
>>> can only assume that there is some way this is detected, and muck and
>>> limescale probably wedges this so it does not lock properly and hence it
>>> randomly falls out of lock.
>>
>> My £13 ASDA kettle doesn't flip the switch off if you turn off the
>> power; it comes back on when power is resumed. The main switch flips if
>> you raise it manually, remove the kettle from the stand, or when it
>> boils. There is also a lever in the circular contact thing on the base
>> that cuts the power to the contacts when raised. It is pressed down by
>> the neutral ring.
>>

> Ditto with mine. I can fill it and switch it on with no power and turn it
> on later with a Wi-Fi switch.
>
> Anyway, an update.
>
> I was able to loosen the kettle’s power receiving socket and on the
> underside there were two spring discs that seemed to be linked by push-rods
> to some inaccessible contacts. There was some dried up thermal paste
> around so I thought it couldn’t hurt to try replacing this. This had the
> opposite effect though. Kettle wouldn’t turn on at all! Just the briefest
> of flashes from the LEDs.
>
> So, then I tried removing all the paste but again this made no difference.
> I’m sure it should have some paste but clearly I’ve disturbed something
> during my repeated disassembly and assembly.
>
> I’ve given up. ;-)

Well new ones are cheap enough. ASDA still sell a similar one to mine:
https://direct.asda.com/george/home/kettles-toasters/black-kettle-17l/050462862,default,pd.html

(Previously I had a Wilko one but the stirrup that works the switch fell
off so I glued it back on with Araldite but now it only switches on from
completely cold, so I keep it as a spare.)

--
Max Demian

Re: Kettle won't stay on (update)

<truorh$3u7bm$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=87717&group=uk.d-i-y#87717

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2023 19:02:58 -0500
 by: Paul - Wed, 8 Feb 2023 00:02 UTC

On 2/5/2023 1:54 PM, Tim+ wrote:
> Max Demian <max_demian@bigfoot.com> wrote:
>> On 05/02/2023 12:00, Brian Gaff wrote:
>>
>>> I had this with a Murphy Richards one, and after a few squirts of wd 40, it
>>> worked. The normal kettle switch will not stay on if there is no power, so I
>>> can only assume that there is some way this is detected, and muck and
>>> limescale probably wedges this so it does not lock properly and hence it
>>> randomly falls out of lock.
>>
>> My £13 ASDA kettle doesn't flip the switch off if you turn off the
>> power; it comes back on when power is resumed. The main switch flips if
>> you raise it manually, remove the kettle from the stand, or when it
>> boils. There is also a lever in the circular contact thing on the base
>> that cuts the power to the contacts when raised. It is pressed down by
>> the neutral ring.
>>

> Ditto with mine. I can fill it and switch it on with no power and turn it
> on later with a Wi-Fi switch.
>
> Anyway, an update.
>
> I was able to loosen the kettle’s power receiving socket and on the
> underside there were two spring discs that seemed to be linked by push-rods
> to some inaccessible contacts. There was some dried up thermal paste
> around so I thought it couldn’t hurt to try replacing this. This had the
> opposite effect though. Kettle wouldn’t turn on at all! Just the briefest
> of flashes from the LEDs.
>
> So, then I tried removing all the paste but again this made no difference.
> I’m sure it should have some paste but clearly I’ve disturbed something
> during my repeated disassembly and assembly.
>
> I’ve given up. ;-)
>
> Tim

That must be the "invisible tampering sensor" :-)

Paul

Re: Kettle won’t stay on

<tsgasd$2iem3$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=88478&group=uk.d-i-y#88478

From: rick_hug...@gmx.com (Sargan)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2023 15:54:53 +0000
 by: Sargan - Tue, 14 Feb 2023 15:54 UTC

On 04/02/2023 14:31, Tim+ wrote:

> Our previously reliable electric kettle has taken to turning itself off a
> few seconds after turning it on. If I hold the switch down it boils as
> normal. It’s turning itself off long before and steam is generated so it
> can’t be the normal cut-out that’s tripping and only if the kettle is
> powered so it seems unlikely that it’s a simple mechanical fault.
>
> Anyone got any ideas as to what might be wrong? I’ve had a quick shufty
> and there’s some surface corrosion on a spring disk that forms part of the
> switch but not a lot. Can’t see how/why that would limit the switch to a
> few seconds of functioning.
>
> Tim

superglue the switch down