Dreams are free, but you get soaked on the connect time.

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / It's more Rock 'n Roll": Reaction to that dodgy graffiti

SubjectAuthor
* It's more Rock 'n Roll": Reaction to that dodgy graffitiswldx...@gmail.com
+* Anyone know what this rambling piece was about?Spike
+- Re: It's more Rock 'n Roll": Reaction to that dodgy graffitiswldx...@gmail.com
+* Re: It's more Rock 'n Roll": Reaction to that dodgy graffitiswldx...@gmail.com
|`* NAPOLEON SYNDROME WELL SHOWN BY CYCLISTS:Spike
| +- Re: NAPOLEON SYNDROME WELL SHOWN BY FAIRY-CYCLISTS:JNugent
| `* Re: NAPOLEON SYNDROME WELL SHOWN BY CYCLISTS:Peter Keller
|  `- Re: NAPOLEON SYNDROME WELL SHOWN BY CYCLISTS:Spike
+- Re: It's more Rock 'n Roll": Reaction to that dodgy graffitiswldx...@gmail.com
+* Re: It's more Rock 'n Roll": Reaction to that dodgy graffitiswldx...@gmail.com
|`- Re: It's more Rock 'n Roll": Reaction to that dodgy graffitiJNugent
+* Re: It's more Rock 'n Roll": Reaction to that dodgy graffitiswldx...@gmail.com
|`- Re: It's more Rock 'n Roll": Reaction to that dodgy graffitiJNugent
+- Re: It's more Rock 'n Roll": Reaction to that dodgy graffitiswldx...@gmail.com
`- Re: It's more Rock 'n Roll": Reaction to that dodgy graffitiswldx...@gmail.com

1
It's more Rock 'n Roll": Reaction to that dodgy graffiti

<04604baf-f542-442b-b79b-065bb1ae9d05n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8849&group=uk.rec.cycling#8849

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2022 09:32:36 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: It's more Rock 'n Roll": Reaction to that dodgy graffiti
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Mon, 25 Apr 2022 16:32 UTC

Our favourite take on that sign-defacing intellectual's day out with a sharpie...

"I'd prefer to be called a spandex-clad twat, instead of a Lycra-clad one.
It's more Rock 'n Roll 🤘," 0-0 commented. 0-0? Nah, it's 1-0 now....

OnYerBike made a good point about how the message actually reads. Forgive me, it's like trying to decrypt some ancient code..."Pretty sure the first line of that vandalised sign reads "Devil'sINGLE FILE". We'll go with that....whatever it means.

mdavidford spotted another: "Strictly speaking, I think there probably ought to be some punctuation between 'file' and 'you' - a comma, at the very least. Also, it actually says 'Devil's ingle file', which is presumably something to do with the fire[place]s of hell."

Clem Fandango made a wider point about suitability of transport to certain spots..."I've had verbal abuse and dangerous passes (including around the hairpin bends) on Box Hill loads of times - always makes me laugh how some drivers consciously drive to Box Hill* (* insert name of local cycling hotspot here) on a weekend, when the weather is good, and are somehow 'surprised' to encounter cyclists. Before losing their sh*t at having to drive slowly safely for a bit. I mean how could they be expected to have foreseen or be expected to tolerate anything but clear roads and a serene, uninterrupted driving experience, the poor lambs?"

brooksby said: "Imagine being so angry, and yet also having the spare time, to go and vandalise a road sign like that..." To which, Shake added: "You slowed me down by nine seconds so I'm going to waste 120 seconds to write this."

https://road.cc/content/news/cycling-live-blog-25-april-2022-292199#live-blog-item-33551

Anyone know what this rambling piece was about?

<jco3ptFbr00U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8852&group=uk.rec.cycling#8852

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Anyone know what this rambling piece was about?
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2022 17:24:14 +0000
 by: Spike - Mon, 25 Apr 2022 17:24 UTC

--
Spike

Re: It's more Rock 'n Roll": Reaction to that dodgy graffiti

<4d1e99c5-38e2-40c9-9ff6-439b1c51692fn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8853&group=uk.rec.cycling#8853

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2022 10:30:33 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Mon, 25 Apr 2022 17:30 UTC

> brooksby said: "Imagine being so angry, and yet also having the spare time, to go and vandalise a road sign like that..." To which, Shake added: "You slowed me down by nine seconds so I'm going to waste 120 seconds to write this."

The same tossers that have no time to wait until it's safe to overtake, but then have all the time in the world to argue the toss.

Re: Anyone know what this rambling piece was about?

<jcobpjFdd4qU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8854&group=uk.rec.cycling#8854

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Anyone know what this rambling piece was about?
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2022 20:40:34 +0100
 by: JNugent - Mon, 25 Apr 2022 19:40 UTC

On 25/04/2022 06:24 pm, Spike wrote:

> On 25/04/2022 16:32, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
>
>> Our favourite take on that sign-defacing intellectual's day out with a sharpie...
>
>> "I'd prefer to be called a spandex-clad twat, instead of a Lycra-clad one.
>> It's more Rock 'n Roll 🤘," 0-0 commented. 0-0? Nah, it's 1-0 now...
>
>> OnYerBike made a good point about how the message actually reads. Forgive me, it's like trying to decrypt some ancient code..."Pretty sure the first line of that vandalised sign reads "Devil'sINGLE FILE". We'll go with that...whatever it means.
>
>> mdavidford spotted another: "Strictly speaking, I think there probably ought to be some punctuation between 'file' and 'you' - a comma, at the very least. Also, it actually says 'Devil's ingle file', which is presumably something to do with the fire[place]s of hell."
>
>> Clem Fandango made a wider point about suitability of transport to certain spots..."I've had verbal abuse and dangerous passes (including around the hairpin bends) on Box Hill loads of times - always makes me laugh how some drivers consciously drive to Box Hill* (* insert name of local cycling hotspot here) on a weekend, when the weather is good, and are somehow 'surprised' to encounter cyclists. Before losing their sh*t at having to drive slowly safely for a bit. I mean how could they be expected to have foreseen or be expected to tolerate anything but clear roads and a serene, uninterrupted driving experience, the poor lambs?"
>
>> brooksby said: "Imagine being so angry, and yet also having the spare time, to go and vandalise a road sign like that..." To which, Shake added: "You slowed me down by nine seconds so I'm going to waste 120 seconds to write this."
>
>> <https://road.cc/content/news/cycling-live-blog-25-april-2022-292199#live-blog-item-33551>

It's road.cc, isn't it?

Don't expect it to make any sense. It isn't meant to.

Re: It's more Rock 'n Roll": Reaction to that dodgy graffiti

<c14cea2f-02f4-43da-a419-f3ad1bd4225en@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8855&group=uk.rec.cycling#8855

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2022 12:47:45 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Mon, 25 Apr 2022 19:47 UTC

Karlt | 9 posts | 3 hours ago
4 likes

"Genuine question...why are so many so annoyed by someone riding a bicycle?"

I wish I fucking knew, I really do. It's not new; forty years ago a school acquaintance told me (knowing I cycled to school) how much his father enjoyed getting really close to cyclists in his car to scare them.

There really is a damned good psychology PhD in this because it's pathological, it really is. It's like a shared psychosis.

SMALL DICK SYNDROME.

NAPOLEON SYNDROME WELL SHOWN BY CYCLISTS:

<jcpqtcFlr65U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8857&group=uk.rec.cycling#8857

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: NAPOLEON SYNDROME WELL SHOWN BY CYCLISTS:
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2022 09:04:45 +0000
 by: Spike - Tue, 26 Apr 2022 09:04 UTC

On 25/04/2022 19:47, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> Karlt | 9 posts | 3 hours ago
> 4 likes

> "Genuine question...why are so many so annoyed by someone riding a bicycle?"

> I wish I fucking knew, I really do. It's not new; forty years ago a school acquaintance told me (knowing I cycled to school) how much his father enjoyed getting really close to cyclists in his car to scare them.

> There really is a damned good psychology PhD in this because it's pathological, it really is. It's like a shared psychosis.

> SMALL DICK SYNDROME.

"The "Napoleon complex" is a syndrome characterized by overly-aggressive
or domineering social behaviour, typically displayed in recent 'mass
trespasses','taking the primary position', 'red light jumping', 'cycling
on pavements' and other anti-social behaviour by cyclists, and carries
the implication that such behaviour is compensatory for the subject's
physical or social shortcomings.

Technically it is a form of inferiority complex in which the person
attempts to overcompensate for their perceived shortcomings. In
psychology, the Napoleon complex is regarded as a derogatory social
stereotype"

--
Spike

Re: It's more Rock 'n Roll": Reaction to that dodgy graffiti

<a8505204-f1c2-4774-8bc0-6d12d44edcb7n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8858&group=uk.rec.cycling#8858

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2022 02:33:52 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Tue, 26 Apr 2022 09:33 UTC

Its not about slowing them down. Its about your existence being an unpleasant reminder that they aren't the only people in the world who matter.

"How dare this other person exist?" is clearly irrational so it becomes "How dare this person make my journey slower?"

Its the same reason people get angry with traffic jams or places they want to go being busy.

Re: NAPOLEON SYNDROME WELL SHOWN BY FAIRY-CYCLISTS:

<jcqancFor15U2@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8866&group=uk.rec.cycling#8866

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: NAPOLEON SYNDROME WELL SHOWN BY FAIRY-CYCLISTS:
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2022 14:34:36 +0100
 by: JNugent - Tue, 26 Apr 2022 13:34 UTC

On 26/04/2022 10:04 am, Spike wrote:

> On 25/04/2022 19:47, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
>> Karlt | 9 posts | 3 hours ago

>> "Genuine question...why are so many so annoyed by someone riding a fairy-bicycle?"

>> I wish I fucking knew, I really do. It's not new; forty years ago a school acquaintance told me (knowing I fairy-cycled to school) how much his father enjoyed getting really close to fairy-cyclists in his car to scare them.

>> There really is a damned good psychology PhD in this because it's pathological, it really is. It's like a shared psychosis.
>
>> SMALL DICK SYNDROME.
>
> "The "Napoleon complex" is a syndrome characterized by overly-aggressive
> or domineering social behaviour, typically displayed in recent 'mass
> trespasses','taking the primary position', 'red light jumping', 'fairy-cycling
> on pavements' and other anti-social behaviour by fairy-cyclists, and carries
> the implication that such behaviour is compensatory for the subject's
> physical or social shortcomings.
>
> Technically it is a form of inferiority complex in which the person
> attempts to overcompensate for their perceived shortcomings. In
> psychology, the Napoleon complex is regarded as a derogatory social
> stereotype"

The complex has a more snappy name in modern street argot.

Re: It's more Rock 'n Roll": Reaction to that dodgy graffiti

<eb19834d-5a03-4815-9337-4a71dc341c07n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8871&group=uk.rec.cycling#8871

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2022 08:41:07 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Tue, 26 Apr 2022 15:41 UTC

Elise
@Rainbowpeas3
·
Apr 24
Replying to
@andykeetch
Be sympathetic somebody has took all the effort to heave themselves out of the car to do that probably most exercise this year so far #cyclinglife #haters

QUITE.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FRF00J1X0AAnWmp?format=jpg&name=large

Re: It's more Rock 'n Roll": Reaction to that dodgy graffiti

<jcqk9lFqjf2U2@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8877&group=uk.rec.cycling#8877

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2022 17:17:57 +0100
 by: JNugent - Tue, 26 Apr 2022 16:17 UTC

> Be sympathetic somebody has took all the effort to heave themselves out of the car to do that probably most exercise this year so far #cyclinglife #haters

> QUITE.

> https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FRF00J1X0AAnWmp?format=jpg&name=large

It's couched in the sort of terms that most of us would never use.

But you can't say the writer wasn't on the right lines.

Re: It's more Rock 'n Roll": Reaction to that dodgy graffiti

<f5d30729-1407-49df-be88-de60d116d713n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8879&group=uk.rec.cycling#8879

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2022 09:22:43 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Tue, 26 Apr 2022 16:22 UTC

There's two perfectly functional A roads for cars to use to cross there: the A23 dual carriageway about 500m to the east, and the A283 about 1500m to the west. Anyone driving up Devil's Dyke and getting annoyed at cyclists has made their own bad decisions.

— Georgina Wilcox (@GeorginaWilcox)

Re: It's more Rock 'n Roll": Reaction to that dodgy graffiti

<jcqkteFqpouU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8880&group=uk.rec.cycling#8880

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2022 17:28:30 +0100
 by: JNugent - Tue, 26 Apr 2022 16:28 UTC

> There's two perfectly functional A roads for cars to use to cross there: the A23 dual carriageway about 500m to the east, and the A283 about 1500m to the west. Anyone driving up Devil's Dyke and getting annoyed at cyclists has made their own bad decisions.
>
> — Georgina Wilcox (@GeorginaWilcox)

Do either the A23 or the A283 lead to the golf club, Georgina?

Or to the Dyke Walking Trail?

If so, how?

Or are those reserved for fairy-cyclists?

As an alternative, has it ever occurred to you to keep your nose out of
other peoples' business and concentrate only on your own?

A bit radical, I admit...

Re: It's more Rock 'n Roll": Reaction to that dodgy graffiti

<f023c572-d4d3-41c8-9731-e68abe49101fn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8882&group=uk.rec.cycling#8882

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2022 09:31:27 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Tue, 26 Apr 2022 16:31 UTC

Rory McCarron
@CyclingLawLDN
·
Apr 24
Replying to
@andykeetch
Because vandalism is perfectly justifiable and legal…

COUNCIL PROPERTY TOO.
TAXPAYERS SUFFER THE COST.

Re: NAPOLEON SYNDROME WELL SHOWN BY CYCLISTS:

<t4b2f0$qmr$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8901&group=uk.rec.cycling#8901

From: muzhm...@centrum.sk (Peter Keller)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: NAPOLEON SYNDROME WELL SHOWN BY CYCLISTS:
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2022 21:30:08 +1200
 by: Peter Keller - Wed, 27 Apr 2022 09:30 UTC

On 26/04/22 21:04, Spike wrote:
> On 25/04/2022 19:47, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
>> Karlt | 9 posts | 3 hours ago
>> 4 likes
>
>> "Genuine question...why are so many so annoyed by someone riding a bicycle?"
>
>> I wish I fucking knew, I really do. It's not new; forty years ago a school acquaintance told me (knowing I cycled to school) how much his father enjoyed getting really close to cyclists in his car to scare them.
>
>> There really is a damned good psychology PhD in this because it's pathological, it really is. It's like a shared psychosis.
>
>> SMALL DICK SYNDROME.
>
> "The "Napoleon complex" is a syndrome characterized by overly-aggressive
> or domineering social behaviour, typically displayed in recent 'mass
> trespasses','taking the primary position', 'red light jumping', 'cycling
> on pavements' and other anti-social behaviour by cyclists, and carries
> the implication that such behaviour is compensatory for the subject's
> physical or social shortcomings.
>
> Technically it is a form of inferiority complex in which the person
> attempts to overcompensate for their perceived shortcomings. In
> psychology, the Napoleon complex is regarded as a derogatory social
> stereotype"

You have described V.V. Putin fairly exactly.

Re: NAPOLEON SYNDROME WELL SHOWN BY CYCLISTS:

<jcsnf9F8ccdU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8913&group=uk.rec.cycling#8913

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2022 11:24:28 +0000
 by: Spike - Wed, 27 Apr 2022 11:24 UTC

On 27/04/2022 09:30, Peter Keller wrote:
> On 26/04/22 21:04, Spike wrote:
>> On 25/04/2022 19:47, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

>>> Karlt | 9 posts | 3 hours ago
>>> 4 likes

>>> "Genuine question...why are so many so annoyed by someone riding a bicycle?"

>>> I wish I fucking knew, I really do. It's not new; forty years ago a school acquaintance told me (knowing I cycled to school) how much his father enjoyed getting really close to cyclists in his car to scare them.

>>> There really is a damned good psychology PhD in this because it's pathological, it really is. It's like a shared psychosis.

>> "The "Napoleon complex" is a syndrome characterized by overly-aggressive
>> or domineering social behaviour, typically displayed in recent 'mass
>> trespasses','taking the primary position', 'red light jumping', 'cycling
>> on pavements' and other anti-social behaviour by cyclists, and carries
>> the implication that such behaviour is compensatory for the subject's
>> physical or social shortcomings.

>> Technically it is a form of inferiority complex in which the person
>> attempts to overcompensate for their perceived shortcomings. In
>> psychology, the Napoleon complex is regarded as a derogatory social
>> stereotype"

> You have described V.V. Putin fairly exactly.

I didn't know he rode a bicycle :-)

--
Spike

Re: It's more Rock 'n Roll": Reaction to that dodgy graffiti

<5ba67d3b-bd2d-43fe-b736-1dc9648f1e79n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8918&group=uk.rec.cycling#8918

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2022 06:26:25 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Wed, 27 Apr 2022 13:26 UTC

Cycle Advocacy Network - South East England
@CANSEEngland
·
Apr 25
Replying to
@andykeetch
This is also the #SouthDownsNationalPark. We've just had a consultation about National Parks and AONBs where we've called for less traffic and slower speeds due to fatal collisions and the inhospitable environment for #ActiveTravel

https://twitter.com/andykeetch/status/1518122997441306624?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1518122997441306624%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Froad.cc%2Fcontent%2Fnews%2Fcycling-live-blog-25-april-2022-292199