A fool and his honey are soon parted.

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / MP who called cyclists "law-breaking Lycra Louts" fined for driving through red light

SubjectAuthor
* MP who called cyclists "law-breaking Lycra Louts" fined for drivingswldx...@gmail.com
+- Re: MP who called cyclists "law-breaking Lycra Louts" fined forSpike
+* Re: MP who called cyclists "law-breaking Lycra Louts" fined forswldx...@gmail.com
|`- Re: MP who called fairy-cyclists "law-breaking Lycra Louts" fined forJNugent
`- Re: MP who called cyclists "law-breaking Lycra Louts" fined forswldx...@gmail.com

1
MP who called cyclists "law-breaking Lycra Louts" fined for driving through red light

<7b48bec9-2ec5-4ac3-af3f-86c48a8219b2n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8860&group=uk.rec.cycling#8860

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2022 02:40:37 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: MP who called cyclists "law-breaking Lycra Louts" fined for driving
through red light
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Tue, 26 Apr 2022 09:40 UTC

Labour MP and former Minister for Sport Kate Hoey, who once launched a diatribe in a national newspaper against cyclists she described as “law-breaking Lycra Louts,” has been fined £240 – for illegally driving her car through a traffic signal while it was red.

Hoey, an MP since 1989, was stopped by police after driving her Mini through the red light on London’s Victoria Embankment on 3 July this year, reports BikeBiz (link is external).

The 67-year-old pleaded guilty by post to City of London Magistrates’ Court, which imposed the fine.

In a 2003 article for the Mail on Sunday, Hoey claimed that “The real menance on Britain's roads are selfish, aggressive, law-breaking and infuriatingly smug Lyrca Louts."

The original article no longer appears to be available on the Mail Online website, although it is referred to here (link is external).

According to a post at the time on the website CycleBanter.com (link is external), Hoey went on to say: "Lycra louts don't just break the law; they often do so in an aggressive and threatening manner.

"How many times have you seen a cyclist deliberately riding in the middle of the road, preventing any car passing and then screaming abuse at the poor driver who dares to try?

"Another trick of theirs is to slip through on the inside just as you try turning left, or flying by so near that they knock against the wing (SIC) mirror."

The Belfast-born MP’s tirade was apparently triggered on an RAC survey that claimed that 50 per cent of cyclists in London ignored red lights.

A Traffic Note published in 2007 (link is external) by Transport for London’s Road Network Performance & Research Team following observation of 7,502 cyclists at five locations in London found that 16 per cent ignored traffic signals – but 84 per cent obeyed them.

An opponent of the hunting ban introduced by her party when it was in power, Hoey, who is MP for distinctly non-rural Vauxhall in inner London, is chair of the pro-hunting Countryside Alliance, which has its offices in her constituency.

https://road.cc/content/news/98035-mp-who-called-cyclists-law-breaking-lycra-louts-fined-driving-through-red-light

Re: MP who called cyclists "law-breaking Lycra Louts" fined for driving through red light

<jcq1h6Fn2quU2@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8862&group=uk.rec.cycling#8862

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: MP who called cyclists "law-breaking Lycra Louts" fined for
driving through red light
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2022 10:57:43 +0000
 by: Spike - Tue, 26 Apr 2022 10:57 UTC

On 26/04/2022 09:40, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

> A Traffic Note published in 2007 (link is external) by Transport for London’s Road Network Performance & Research Team following observation of 7,502 cyclists at five locations in London found that 16 per cent ignored traffic signals – but 84 per cent obeyed them.

So, that's all right then. But suppose 16% of drivers jumped red
lights...road.cc would explode.

--
Spike

Re: MP who called cyclists "law-breaking Lycra Louts" fined for driving through red light

<83c1c723-503b-456d-8889-5aaef3a91620n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8863&group=uk.rec.cycling#8863

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2022 05:15:08 -0700 (PDT)
driving through red light
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Tue, 26 Apr 2022 12:15 UTC

FluffyKittenofT...
1 like

Kate Hoey representing part of Lambeth (an entirely urban area with a significant level of gun crime, no fox hunting, and a somewhat higher-than-average proportion of utility-cyclists) has to be one of the most mismatched MP-constituency pairings ever.

Her pet causes seem to be: Northern Irish Protestants, supporting farmers and country people generally, supporting fox-hunting, supporting the right to own guns, banging on about sport, and expressing pig-ignorant bigotry towards cyclists.

Regardless of whether one agrees with any of those (I range from strongly disagreeing to just not caring either way), who decided she was a good match for this particular parliamentary seat?

Re: MP who called fairy-cyclists "law-breaking Lycra Louts" fined for driving through red light

<jcqaigFor15U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8865&group=uk.rec.cycling#8865

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: MP who called fairy-cyclists "law-breaking Lycra Louts" fined for
driving through red light
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2022 14:31:59 +0100
 by: JNugent - Tue, 26 Apr 2022 13:31 UTC

> FluffyKittenofT...

> Kate Hoey representing part of Lambeth (an entirely urban area with a significant level of gun crime, no fox hunting, and a somewhat higher-than-average proportion of fairy-cyclists) has to be one of the most mismatched MP-constituency pairings ever.

Really?

> Her pet causes seem to be: Northern Irish Protestants, supporting farmers and country people generally, supporting fox-hunting, supporting the right to own guns, banging on about sport, and expressing the truth about fairy-cyclists.

You forgot her longstanding commitment to, and support for, the United
Kingdom's independence from the European Union.

Or did you?

> Regardless of whether one agrees with any of those (I range from strongly disagreeing to just not caring either way), who decided she was a good match for this particular parliamentary seat?

The members of the relevant local Labour Party association, of course.

It's certainly got nothing to do with *you* (or Mason) unless you live
in that constituency and are a member of that party.

Re: MP who called cyclists "law-breaking Lycra Louts" fined for driving through red light

<444a7bf7-9aee-4532-9499-30de136c0590n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8870&group=uk.rec.cycling#8870

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2022 08:38:38 -0700 (PDT)
driving through red light
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Tue, 26 Apr 2022 15:38 UTC

Northernbike | 229 posts | 8 years ago
1 like
Poor old kate must be doubly pissed off because not only did she earn a traffic conviction and the ridicule of the cycling world but the fox she was speeding to run over at the time got away when the police stopped her as well