From: s...@home.net (Smolley)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Smaller human populations are neither a necessary nor
sufficient condition for biodiversity conservation
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2023 16:14:26 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Smolley - Thu, 16 Feb 2023 16:14 UTC

On Wed, 15 Feb 2023 09:42:33 -0800, David P wrote:

> Smaller human populations are neither a necessary nor sufficient
> condition for biodiversity conservation
>
> https://overpopulation-project.com/smaller-human-populations-are-neither-
a-necessary-nor-sufficient-condition-for-biodiversity-conservation
> [...]
> These journals and their contributors are still locked in the
> post-Enlightenment liberal worldview, where Progress is linear and the
> only way is up and Growth is limitless and Motion is perpetual. Meantime
> millions of illiterate people know what happens when your population
> goes from 21.5 million in 1950 to 84.5 million in 2020 (Turkey, not
> counting huge Diaspora), or 3.5 million in 1950 to 17.5 million in 2020
> (Syria, not counting huge Diaspora). Everything non-artificial starts to
> run out – including Water. Then ethnic hatred, civil war, and even war,
> arrive. But even so, human numbers do not shrink much.
> Ask the millions pouring across the border between North and South
> America, or between Africa and Europe, or between Asia and anywhere, to
> say truthfully why they are forced to flee. They know why, in their
> heart of hearts. They blame civil war, or gang warfare, or lack of jobs,
> or drought, but they know perfectly well what the ultimate cause of all
> these things is. They can’t say so, but at least they know. It strikes
> me that many academics not only can’t say it, they don’t even know it –
> they operate in a cocoon, even though they travel the world constantly
> in pursuit of Knowledge at considerable cost to governments and funding
> corporations. Eventually, the physical realities of Overshoot will
> overtake these happy academics and they will change their tune. Until
> then, there is little point in contradicting them.
> One day too, Overpopulation realists will lose the spar they cling to –
> contraception and the liberation of women – which they imagine will
> bring about the necessary reduction in human population, in a controlled
> and civilized manner which will enable Progress to continue (though at a
> slower rate), or at least stay steady and not decline. But here again,
> it makes little difference when or if those claiming that plummeting
> Total Fertility Rates BY CHOICE are the answer. Because soon the fact
> that they are not the answer will become all too apparent. Not unless
> they are caused by uncontrolled and unchosen near-total sterility of
> humans (including men) caused by pollution. We know that DBCP has caused
> sterility in male banana growers in Latin America, the Caribbean and
> Africa (and in men at plants manufacturing it) – but other chemicals
> causing male sterility are not so dramatically effective, though they do
> have an effect.
> It is useless trying to convince activist groups trying to reduce human
> numbers in a nice kind way that something rather nasty and uncivilized
> is going to have to do this, in the end. And it is equally useless
> trying to convince those who are convinced that Malthus was wrong that
> Malthus was right.
> One would have to be like King Canute who was obliged to show his
> courtiers that he was not all-powerful by actually sitting amidst the
> incoming tide. Even then, I bet quite a few were not convinced.

Yes, subduction is a bugger.

Re: Smaller human populations are neither a necessary nor sufficient condition for biodiversity conservation

<tslopk$3adkm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=88680&group=uk.d-i-y#88680

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Smaller human populations are neither a necessary nor sufficient condition for biodiversity conservation
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2023 17:22:57 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Thu, 16 Feb 2023 17:22 UTC

Yes and while universities churn out people with great knowledge but little
common sense or the ability to apply their knowledge to all the problems of
the world.
Brian

--

--: