24 Apr, 2024: Testing a new version of the Overboard here. If you have an issue post about it to rocksolid.nodes.help (I know. Everyone on Usenet has issues)

aus+uk / uk.rec.sheds / Might be worth a watch

SubjectAuthor
* Might be worth a watchJohn Williamson
`* Might be worth a watchDon Stockbauer
 +- Might be worth a watchJohn Williamson
 `* Might be worth a watchAhem A Rivet's Shot
  +- Might be worth a watchJohn Williamson
  `* Might be worth a watchRustyHinge
   `* Might be worth a watchNick Odell
    `* Might be worth a watchDon Stockbauer
     `* Might be worth a watchTone
      `- Might be worth a watchDon Stockbauer

1
Might be worth a watch

<jb8r9nF90d2U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8870&group=uk.rec.sheds#8870

From: johnwill...@btinternet.com (John Williamson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Subject: Might be worth a watch
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2022 20:10:47 +0100
 by: John Williamson - Thu, 7 Apr 2022 19:10 UTC

Article with spoilers for a WWP show necks tweak about a very
interesting fossil site possibly dating from the day the big meteor hit.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-61013740
--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Re: Might be worth a watch

<6c65fead-df13-43a7-86c1-0c7882b526d9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8871&group=uk.rec.sheds#8871

Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2022 12:41:41 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Might be worth a watch
From: donstock...@hotmail.com (Don Stockbauer)
 by: Don Stockbauer - Thu, 7 Apr 2022 19:41 UTC

On Thursday, April 7, 2022 at 2:10:49 PM UTC-5, John Williamson wrote:
> Article with spoilers for a WWP show necks tweak about a very
> interesting fossil site possibly dating from the day the big meteor hit.
>
> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-61013740
> --
> Tciao for Now!
>
> John.

yeah I saw this somewhere else and it's like they're trying to claim that this fossil proves that the astroid killed the dinosaur's but I thought like that astroid threw up debris all over the place and in fact made a layer over the entire earth and that you could go by that in that that layer of debris caused by the explosion that that would've definitely killed the dinosaurs I guess.

Re: Might be worth a watch

<jb8uphF9m1hU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8872&group=uk.rec.sheds#8872

From: johnwill...@btinternet.com (John Williamson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2022 21:10:25 +0100
 by: John Williamson - Thu, 7 Apr 2022 20:10 UTC

On 07/04/2022 20:41, Don Stockbauer wrote:
> On Thursday, April 7, 2022 at 2:10:49 PM UTC-5, John Williamson wrote:
>> Article with spoilers for a WWP show necks tweak about a very
>> interesting fossil site possibly dating from the day the big meteor hit.
>>
>> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-61013740
>> --
>> Tciao for Now!
>>
>> John.
>
> yeah I saw this somewhere else and it's like they're trying to claim that this fossil proves that the astroid killed the dinosaur's but I thought like that astroid threw up debris all over the place and in fact made a layer over the entire earth and that you could go by that in that that layer of debris caused by the explosion that that would've definitely killed the dinosaurs I guess.

The main suggestion from Tanis seems to be that even two thousand miles
away from the impact site, there was massive destruction immediately
after the impact, and droplets of molten rock from the impact site
raining down.

Then came the very long Winter as the dust settled, which killed off a
lot of the plant life on land and at sea, which removed the base of the
food chain for many animals.

(My theory, others may contradict it.)

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Re: Might be worth a watch

<20220407211039.f76b4ff40bc36965c0f35f0d@eircom.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8873&group=uk.rec.sheds#8873

From: ste...@eircom.net (Ahem A Rivet's Shot)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2022 21:10:39 +0100
 by: Ahem A Rivet's - Thu, 7 Apr 2022 20:10 UTC

On Thu, 7 Apr 2022 12:41:41 -0700 (PDT)
Don Stockbauer <donstockbauer@hotmail.com> wrote:

> yeah I saw this somewhere else and it's like they're trying to claim that
> this fossil proves that the astroid killed the dinosaur's but I thought
> like that astroid threw up debris all over the place and in fact made a
> layer over the entire earth and that you could go by that in that that
> layer of debris caused by the explosion that that would've definitely
> killed the dinosaurs I guess.

The identifiable layer all over the Earth is how we know that there
was a big asteroid impact 65 million years ago. We don't know that it
killed off the dinosaurs, just that we've found no dinosaur remains above
the line. They might already have been gone when it hit. So remains from
very close in time to the impact strengthen the idea that it was
responsible, of course remains from after the impact would blow the theory
out of the water.

One thing we can be sure about - that asteroid impact was a heap of
a lot of no fun for everything on the planet and it would be amazing if it
didn't wipe out a lot of species. I want to be elsewhere when the next one
hits.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/

Re: Might be worth a watch

<jb90cmFa02lU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8874&group=uk.rec.sheds#8874

From: johnwill...@btinternet.com (John Williamson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2022 21:37:41 +0100
 by: John Williamson - Thu, 7 Apr 2022 20:37 UTC

On 07/04/2022 21:10, Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Apr 2022 12:41:41 -0700 (PDT)
> Don Stockbauer <donstockbauer@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> yeah I saw this somewhere else and it's like they're trying to claim that
>> this fossil proves that the astroid killed the dinosaur's but I thought
>> like that astroid threw up debris all over the place and in fact made a
>> layer over the entire earth and that you could go by that in that that
>> layer of debris caused by the explosion that that would've definitely
>> killed the dinosaurs I guess.
>
> The identifiable layer all over the Earth is how we know that there
> was a big asteroid impact 65 million years ago. We don't know that it
> killed off the dinosaurs, just that we've found no dinosaur remains above
> the line. They might already have been gone when it hit. So remains from
> very close in time to the impact strengthen the idea that it was
> responsible, of course remains from after the impact would blow the theory
> out of the water.

Ignoring current thinking about birds being surviving dinosaurs?

They may not have been entirely extincted in the Southern hemisphere.

Reading the article, fish breathing apparatus found in the area contains
actual rock droplets as do the dinosaur fossil skin, and some of the
fossilised resin.

> One thing we can be sure about - that asteroid impact was a heap of
> a lot of no fun for everything on the planet and it would be amazing if it
> didn't wipe out a lot of species. I want to be elsewhere when the next one
> hits.

Join the queueueue.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Re: Might be worth a watch

<t2nktg$q72$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8878&group=uk.rec.sheds#8878

From: rusty.hi...@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2022 22:26:07 +0100
 by: RustyHinge - Thu, 7 Apr 2022 21:26 UTC

On 07/04/2022 21:10, Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Apr 2022 12:41:41 -0700 (PDT)
> Don Stockbauer <donstockbauer@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> yeah I saw this somewhere else and it's like they're trying to claim that
>> this fossil proves that the astroid killed the dinosaur's but I thought
>> like that astroid threw up debris all over the place and in fact made a
>> layer over the entire earth and that you could go by that in that that
>> layer of debris caused by the explosion that that would've definitely
>> killed the dinosaurs I guess.

They posit that because this leg was violently torn off the dinosaur and
was found entangled in débris which included solidified magma in the
right layer of fallout from the mass extinction that this particular
animal was killed by the actual asteroid strike.

> The identifiable layer all over the Earth is how we know that there
> was a big asteroid impact 65 million years ago. We don't know that it
> killed off the dinosaurs, just that we've found no dinosaur remains above
> the line. They might already have been gone when it hit. So remains from
> very close in time to the impact strengthen the idea that it was
> responsible, of course remains from after the impact would blow the theory
> out of the water.

Many dinosaurs *did* survive, and their descendants survive to this day
in the shape of birds.

> One thing we can be sure about - that asteroid impact was a heap of
> a lot of no fun for everything on the planet and it would be amazing if it
> didn't wipe out a lot of species. I want to be elsewhere when the next one
> hits.

I goove it's possible that there will never be another one, as improved
technology will be able automagically to detect any dangerous trajectory
and to influence its trajectory sufficiently to throw it off-course -
that is, if the unpleasantness initiated by Sputum doesn't pre-empt it.

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: Might be worth a watch

<rhpu4h1goorkr9gptilu6034k5h5m5n8rf@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8881&group=uk.rec.sheds#8881

From: nic...@themusicworkshop.plus.com (Nick Odell)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2022 23:35:58 +0100
 by: Nick Odell - Thu, 7 Apr 2022 22:35 UTC

On Thu, 7 Apr 2022 22:26:07 +0100, RustyHinge
<rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote:

>On 07/04/2022 21:10, Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote:
>> On Thu, 7 Apr 2022 12:41:41 -0700 (PDT)
>> Don Stockbauer <donstockbauer@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> yeah I saw this somewhere else and it's like they're trying to claim that
>>> this fossil proves that the astroid killed the dinosaur's but I thought
>>> like that astroid threw up debris all over the place and in fact made a
>>> layer over the entire earth and that you could go by that in that that
>>> layer of debris caused by the explosion that that would've definitely
>>> killed the dinosaurs I guess.
>
>They posit that because this leg was violently torn off the dinosaur and
>was found entangled in débris which included solidified magma in the
>right layer of fallout from the mass extinction that this particular
>animal was killed by the actual asteroid strike.
>
>> The identifiable layer all over the Earth is how we know that there
>> was a big asteroid impact 65 million years ago. We don't know that it
>> killed off the dinosaurs, just that we've found no dinosaur remains above
>> the line. They might already have been gone when it hit. So remains from
>> very close in time to the impact strengthen the idea that it was
>> responsible, of course remains from after the impact would blow the theory
>> out of the water.
>
>Many dinosaurs *did* survive, and their descendants survive to this day
>in the shape of birds.
>
>> One thing we can be sure about - that asteroid impact was a heap of
>> a lot of no fun for everything on the planet and it would be amazing if it
>> didn't wipe out a lot of species. I want to be elsewhere when the next one
>> hits.
>
>I goove it's possible that there will never be another one, as improved
>technology will be able automagically to detect any dangerous trajectory
>and to influence its trajectory sufficiently to throw it off-course -
>that is, if the unpleasantness initiated by Sputum doesn't pre-empt it.

I presume they must have the same sort of evidence/correlations of
dinosaur/asteroid/extinction event at that particular time as we have
for the volcano/human/extinction event in Pompeii in 79AD

Nick

Re: Might be worth a watch

<2bfbc6c2-da2b-4ba1-aa61-af9013d0bf5dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8882&group=uk.rec.sheds#8882

Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2022 16:51:12 -0700 (PDT)
From: donstock...@hotmail.com (Don Stockbauer)
 by: Don Stockbauer - Thu, 7 Apr 2022 23:51 UTC

On Thursday, April 7, 2022 at 5:36:01 PM UTC-5, Nick Odell wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Apr 2022 22:26:07 +0100, RustyHinge
> <rusty...@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote:
>
> >On 07/04/2022 21:10, Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote:

> >They posit that because this leg was violently torn off the dinosaur and
> >was found entangled in débris which included solidified magma in the
> >right layer of fallout from the mass extinction that this particular
> >animal was killed by the actual asteroid strike.
> >
> >> The identifiable layer all over the Earth is how we know that there
> >> was a big asteroid impact 65 million years ago. We don't know that it
> >> killed off the dinosaurs, just that we've found no dinosaur remains above
> >> the line. They might already have been gone when it hit. So remains from
> >> very close in time to the impact strengthen the idea that it was
> >> responsible, of course remains from after the impact would blow the theory
> >> out of the water.
> >
> >Many dinosaurs *did* survive, and their descendants survive to this day
> >in the shape of birds.
> >
> >> One thing we can be sure about - that asteroid impact was a heap of
> >> a lot of no fun for everything on the planet and it would be amazing if it
> >> didn't wipe out a lot of species. I want to be elsewhere when the next one
> >> hits.
> >
> >I goove it's possible that there will never be another one, as improved
> >technology will be able automagically to detect any dangerous trajectory
> >and to influence its trajectory sufficiently to throw it off-course -
> >that is, if the unpleasantness initiated by Sputum doesn't pre-empt it.
> I presume they must have the same sort of evidence/correlations of
> dinosaur/asteroid/extinction event at that particular time as we have
> for the volcano/human/extinction event in Pompeii in 79AD
>
> Nick

It just never pays to post prematurely before one has read all the facts and apparently that is exactly what I did and I apologize and I here by retract all my comments

Re: Might be worth a watch

<t2o1b3$2h6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8883&group=uk.rec.sheds#8883

From: ton...@email.com (Tone)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2022 01:58:11 +0100
 by: Tone - Fri, 8 Apr 2022 00:58 UTC

On 08/04/2022 00:51, Don Stockbauer wrote:
> Many dinosaurs*did* survive, and their descendants survive to this day
> in the shape of birds.

Also councillors.

Tone

Re: Might be worth a watch

<754fdcab-47b0-4797-9439-f44418895611n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8885&group=uk.rec.sheds#8885

Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2022 21:24:22 -0700 (PDT)
From: donstock...@hotmail.com (Don Stockbauer)
 by: Don Stockbauer - Fri, 8 Apr 2022 04:24 UTC

On Thursday, April 7, 2022 at 7:58:13 PM UTC-5, Tone wrote:
> On 08/04/2022 00:51, Don Stockbauer wrote:
> > Many dinosaurs*did* survive, and their descendants survive to this day
> > in the shape of birds.
> Also councillors.
>
> Tone

Do you mean those really pretty birds that you can see on the streets of London?