From: kinvig.n...@ntlworld.com (jim.gm4dhj)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: K-E-Y-N-S-H-A-M
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2023 13:37:27 +0000
 by: jim.gm4dhj - Thu, 16 Feb 2023 13:37 UTC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydQ8I-qLH4o

Re: K-E-Y-N-S-H-A-M

<tslldk$39vle$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=88673&group=uk.d-i-y#88673

From: s...@home.net (Smolley)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: K-E-Y-N-S-H-A-M
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2023 16:25:24 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Smolley - Thu, 16 Feb 2023 16:25 UTC

On Thu, 16 Feb 2023 13:37:27 +0000, jim.gm4dhj wrote:

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydQ8I-qLH4o

Radio Luxembourg was a multilingual commercial broadcaster in Luxembourg.
It is known in most non-English languages as RTL (for Radio Television
Luxembourg).

The English-language service of Radio Luxembourg began in 1933 as one of
the earliest commercial radio stations broadcasting to the UK and Ireland.
The station provided a way to circumvent British legislation which until
1973 gave the BBC a monopoly of radio broadcasting on UK territory and
prohibited all forms of advertising over the domestic radio spectrum. It
boasted the most powerful privately owned transmitter in Europe (200 kW,
broadcasting on medium wave). In the late 1930s, and again in the 1950s
and 1960s, it had large audiences in Britain and Ireland with its
programmes of popular entertainment, and was an important forerunner of
pirate radio and modern commercial radio in the United Kingdom.

Radio Luxembourg's parent company, RTL Group, continued its involvement in
broadcasts to a UK audience with the British TV channel then known as Five
until it was sold in July 2010.

Background and origins
In 1922, the British government awarded a monopoly broadcasting licence to
the British Broadcasting Company, whose shares were owned by British and
American electrical companies. Although in theory the BBC could have sold
sponsored airtime, instead its income came from selling its own brand of
licensed radio receivers manufactured by its owners. This arrangement
lasted until 1927, when the broadcasting licence of the original BBC was
allowed to expire. The assets of the former commercial company were then
sold to a new non-commercial British Broadcasting Corporation, which
operated under a UK charter from the Crown.

With no possibility of commercial broadcasting available from inside the
UK, Leonard F. Plugge – a former British Royal Air Force captain and
entrepreneur (and from 1935 Conservative Party member of parliament) – set
up his own International Broadcasting Company, which leased time on
transmitters in continental Europe and resold it as sponsored English-
language programming aimed at audiences in Britain and Ireland. Because
Plugge successfully demonstrated that state monopolies such as that of the
BBC could be broken, other parties became attracted to the idea of
creating a new commercial radio station specifically for this purpose.

Formation of Radio Luxembourg
In 1924, radio technician François Anen built a 100-watt transmitter in
his home in the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg.[citation needed] Within two
years, the government of Luxembourg had reached an agreement to subsidize
the station to broadcast military music concerts and plays performed in
the Luxembourgish language.[1] With its central location in western
Europe, the Grand Duchy was an ideal site for broadcasts to many nations,
including the United Kingdom.

Anen became inspired by the activities of Captain Plugge, who was using
transmitters licensed in other countries to broadcast English-language
radio programmes to Britain and Ireland, whose governments had not
licensed commercial broadcasting. On 11 May 1929, he brought together a
group of mainly French entrepreneurs[why?] to form the Luxembourg Society
for Radio Studies (La Société Luxembourgeoise d'Études Radiophoniques) as
a pressure group to force the Luxembourg government to issue them a
commercial broadcasting licence.[2][3]

On 19 December 1929, the government of Luxembourg passed a law awarding a
monopoly licence to operate a commercial radio broadcasting franchise from
the Grand Duchy. On 29 December, this licence was awarded to the Society,
which in turn created the Luxembourg Broadcasting Company (Compagnie
Luxembourgeoise de Radiodiffusion) to be identified on the air as Radio
Luxembourg.

Re: K-E-Y-N-S-H-A-M

<tslobd$3ac59$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=88677&group=uk.d-i-y#88677

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2023 17:15:22 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Thu, 16 Feb 2023 17:15 UTC

Bonzo dog had an instrumental called that.
I always thought his voice sounded like Alfred Hitchcock.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"jim.gm4dhj" <kinvig.netta@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydQ8I-qLH4o

Re: K-E-Y-N-S-H-A-M

<tslokt$3ad84$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=88679&group=uk.d-i-y#88679

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2023 17:20:26 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Thu, 16 Feb 2023 17:20 UTC

Yes, but I never quite got why they decided to stop it. I think it had a
good 10 years to go back when it stopped. I know it had problems with fading
etc, and was only viable after dark, but still, people did listen.

Brian

--

--:
"Smolley" <s@home.net> wrote in message news:tslldk$39vle$1@dont-email.me...
> [...]
> transmitters licensed in other countries to broadcast English-language
> radio programmes to Britain and Ireland, whose governments had not
> licensed commercial broadcasting. On 11 May 1929, he brought together a
> group of mainly French entrepreneurs[why?] to form the Luxembourg Society
> for Radio Studies (La Soci�t� Luxembourgeoise d'�tudes Radiophoniques) as
> a pressure group to force the Luxembourg government to issue them a
> commercial broadcasting licence.[2][3]
>
> On 19 December 1929, the government of Luxembourg passed a law awarding a
> monopoly licence to operate a commercial radio broadcasting franchise from
> the Grand Duchy. On 29 December, this licence was awarded to the Society,
> which in turn created the Luxembourg Broadcasting Company (Compagnie
> Luxembourgeoise de Radiodiffusion) to be identified on the air as Radio

Re: K-E-Y-N-S-H-A-M

<bdb6cda9-9fc0-4d6e-8fa2-54d351c682c8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=88771&group=uk.d-i-y#88771

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2023 10:09:27 -0800 (PST)
From: johnjess...@gmail.com (John J)
 by: John J - Fri, 17 Feb 2023 18:09 UTC

On Thursday, 16 February 2023 at 16:25:29 UTC, Smolley wrote:
> [...]
> transmitters licensed in other countries to broadcast English-language
> radio programmes to Britain and Ireland, whose governments had not
> licensed commercial broadcasting. On 11 May 1929, he brought together a
> group of mainly French entrepreneurs[why?] to form the Luxembourg Society
> for Radio Studies (La Société Luxembourgeoise d'Études Radiophoniques) as
> a pressure group to force the Luxembourg government to issue them a
> commercial broadcasting licence.[2][3]
>
> On 19 December 1929, the government of Luxembourg passed a law awarding a
> monopoly licence to operate a commercial radio broadcasting franchise from
> the Grand Duchy. On 29 December, this licence was awarded to the Society,
> which in turn created the Luxembourg Broadcasting Company (Compagnie
> Luxembourgeoise de Radiodiffusion) to be identified on the air as Radio
Horace Bachelor and his Infra-draw method springs to mind.

Re: K-E-Y-N-S-H-A-M

<k5ai1tFrgdgU4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=88804&group=uk.d-i-y#88804

From: news0...@eager.cx (Bob Eager)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 17 Feb 2023 23:48:13 GMT
 by: Bob Eager - Fri, 17 Feb 2023 23:48 UTC

On Fri, 17 Feb 2023 10:09:27 -0800, John J wrote:

> Horace Bachelor and his Infra-draw method springs to mind.

Well, of course. Hence the Subject: line.

(it's BaTchelor)

Re: K-E-Y-N-S-H-A-M

<H8WHL.522715$t5W7.281735@fx13.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=88811&group=uk.d-i-y#88811

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
From: not...@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2023 01:49:26 +0000
 by: Sam Plusnet - Sat, 18 Feb 2023 01:49 UTC

On 17-Feb-23 23:48, Bob Eager wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Feb 2023 10:09:27 -0800, John J wrote:
>
>> Horace Bachelor and his Infra-draw method springs to mind.
>
> Well, of course. Hence the Subject: line.
>
> (it's BaTchelor)

But he only spelt out "Keynsham". Funny that.

--
Sam Plusnet