"The most important thing in a man is not what he knows, but what he is." -- Narciso Yepes

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Washing Machine filter puzzle

SubjectAuthor
* Washing Machine filter puzzleMike Halmarack
+* Re: Washing Machine filter puzzleJeff Layman
|`* Re: Washing Machine filter puzzleMike Halmarack
| `* Re: Washing Machine filter puzzleBrian Gaff
|  +- Re: Washing Machine filter puzzleAndy Burns
|  +- Re: Washing Machine filter puzzleCustos Custodum
|  +- Re: Washing Machine filter puzzlealan_m
|  +- Re: Washing Machine filter puzzleClive Arthur
|  `- Re: Washing Machine filter puzzleRob Morley
+* Re: Washing Machine filter puzzleClive Arthur
|`- Re: Washing Machine filter puzzleMike Halmarack
`* Re: Washing Machine filter puzzleBrian
 `* Re: Washing Machine filter puzzleMike Halmarack
  `* Re: Washing Machine filter puzzleBrian
   `* Re: Washing Machine filter puzzleBob Eager
    `* Re: Washing Machine filter puzzleAndy Burns
     `- Re: Washing Machine filter puzzleBob Eager

1
Washing Machine filter puzzle

<smp1vht0hih9gqdnekeli7lg854b9j0pqk@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=88857&group=uk.d-i-y#88857

From: mikehalm...@gmail.com (Mike Halmarack)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Washing Machine filter puzzle
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2023 15:10:09 +0000
 by: Mike Halmarack - Sat, 18 Feb 2023 15:10 UTC

My Belling Sensicare FW714 washing machine, about five years old has
never shown any sign of filtered dross.
This may be because of what screws out from the filter port, which is
this:
https://postimg.cc/gallery/MfSwbyG

No previous washing machine I've had has such a minimal looking filter
arrangement. I poked around inside the housing to see if there was
another withdrawable part of the filter that had become detached and
left inside but everything else seems solidly fixed in place.
The manual just shows the screw cap location, nothing illustrating the
filter itself.
Any suggestions?
--

Mike

Re: Washing Machine filter puzzle

<tsqs7m$3ufbl$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=88861&group=uk.d-i-y#88861

From: Jef...@invalid.invalid (Jeff Layman)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Washing Machine filter puzzle
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2023 15:52:22 +0000
 by: Jeff Layman - Sat, 18 Feb 2023 15:52 UTC

On 18/02/2023 15:10, Mike Halmarack wrote:
> My Belling Sensicare FW714 washing machine, about five years old has
> never shown any sign of filtered dross.
> This may be because of what screws out from the filter port, which is
> this:
> https://postimg.cc/gallery/MfSwbyG
>
> No previous washing machine I've had has such a minimal looking filter
> arrangement. I poked around inside the housing to see if there was
> another withdrawable part of the filter that had become detached and
> left inside but everything else seems solidly fixed in place.
> The manual just shows the screw cap location, nothing illustrating the
> filter itself.
> Any suggestions?

The photos don't seem to be too far removed from spare filters sold by
Amazon:
<https://www.amazon.co.uk/Washing-Machine-Filter/s?k=Washing+Machine+Filter>

--

Jeff

Re: Washing Machine filter puzzle

<tsqtfv$29v6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=88863&group=uk.d-i-y#88863

From: cli...@nowaytoday.co.uk (Clive Arthur)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2023 16:13:49 +0000
 by: Clive Arthur - Sat, 18 Feb 2023 16:13 UTC

It's just to catch anything major which would stop the pump working and
to provide a drain point to access your coins. The pumps I've seen are
fairly robust and don't so much pump the water as harass it.

When our washing machine was in the cellar and too far below the drain,
I plumbed a spare pump in near the top and simply wired it across the
existing pump.

--
Cheers
Clive

On 18/02/2023 15:10, Mike Halmarack wrote:
> My Belling Sensicare FW714 washing machine, about five years old has
> never shown any sign of filtered dross.
> This may be because of what screws out from the filter port, which is
> this:
> https://postimg.cc/gallery/MfSwbyG
>
> No previous washing machine I've had has such a minimal looking filter
> arrangement. I poked around inside the housing to see if there was
> another withdrawable part of the filter that had become detached and
> left inside but everything else seems solidly fixed in place.
> The manual just shows the screw cap location, nothing illustrating the
> filter itself.
> Any suggestions?

Re: Washing Machine filter puzzle

<5rv1vh5vt5nf6inehcbu1ade0iq7j6r1hs@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=88866&group=uk.d-i-y#88866

From: mikehalm...@gmail.com (Mike Halmarack)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2023 16:41:23 +0000
 by: Mike Halmarack - Sat, 18 Feb 2023 16:41 UTC

On Sat, 18 Feb 2023 15:52:22 +0000, Jeff Layman <Jeff@invalid.invalid>
wrote:

>On 18/02/2023 15:10, Mike Halmarack wrote:
>> My Belling Sensicare FW714 washing machine, about five years old has
>> never shown any sign of filtered dross.
>> This may be because of what screws out from the filter port, which is
>> this:
>> https://postimg.cc/gallery/MfSwbyG
>>
>> No previous washing machine I've had has such a minimal looking filter
>> arrangement. I poked around inside the housing to see if there was
>> another withdrawable part of the filter that had become detached and
>> left inside but everything else seems solidly fixed in place.
>> The manual just shows the screw cap location, nothing illustrating the
>> filter itself.
>> Any suggestions?
>
>The photos don't seem to be too far removed from spare filters sold by
>Amazon:
><https://www.amazon.co.uk/Washing-Machine-Filter/s?k=Washing+Machine+Filter>

Thanks, that's just what I needed. Someone with a brain.
--

Mike

Re: Washing Machine filter puzzle

<9uv1vh9bicge28b21fn4q408h2oogcqjkb@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=88867&group=uk.d-i-y#88867

From: mikehalm...@gmail.com (Mike Halmarack)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2023 16:43:08 +0000
 by: Mike Halmarack - Sat, 18 Feb 2023 16:43 UTC

On Sat, 18 Feb 2023 16:13:49 +0000, Clive Arthur
<clive@nowaytoday.co.uk> wrote:

>It's just to catch anything major which would stop the pump working and
>to provide a drain point to access your coins. The pumps I've seen are
>fairly robust and don't so much pump the water as harass it.
>
>When our washing machine was in the cellar and too far below the drain,
>I plumbed a spare pump in near the top and simply wired it across the
>existing pump.
That's reassuring. Also inspiration for a nice little project should
I run out.
--

Mike

Re: Washing Machine filter puzzle

<tsre31$4gfo$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=88894&group=uk.d-i-y#88894

From: noi...@lid.org (Brian)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2023 20:57:05 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:7L/3MUVVH3sfYQWsPjJSlfJ7xmw=
 by: Brian - Sat, 18 Feb 2023 20:57 UTC

Mike Halmarack <mikehalmarack@gmail.com> wrote:
> My Belling Sensicare FW714 washing machine, about five years old has
> never shown any sign of filtered dross.
> This may be because of what screws out from the filter port, which is
> this:
> https://postimg.cc/gallery/MfSwbyG
>
> No previous washing machine I've had has such a minimal looking filter
> arrangement. I poked around inside the housing to see if there was
> another withdrawable part of the filter that had become detached and
> left inside but everything else seems solidly fixed in place.
> The manual just shows the screw cap location, nothing illustrating the
> filter itself.
> Any suggestions?

When you start looking at the reference give by the other poster, you will
find several makers use the same filter. You could try popping into a small
local repair shop to see if they can match it. It may be a bit more
expensive but you can check it is the same.

Re: Washing Machine filter puzzle

<f0q3vhhfat8958k5ubm4i79gm0l5p9ui0k@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=88906&group=uk.d-i-y#88906

From: mikehalm...@gmail.com (Mike Halmarack)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2023 09:18:21 +0000
 by: Mike Halmarack - Sun, 19 Feb 2023 09:18 UTC

On Sat, 18 Feb 2023 20:57:05 -0000 (UTC), Brian <noinv@lid.org> wrote:

>When you start looking at the reference give by the other poster, you will
>find several makers use the same filter. You could try popping into a small
>local repair shop to see if they can match it. It may be a bit more
>expensive but you can check it is the same.

Thanks, fortunately I don't need a repair. I was just hoping to avoid
future problems by assuring that the minimalist filter structure was
doing it's job. From the answers and links I got in reply it seems
that all is as it should be.
--

Mike

Re: Washing Machine filter puzzle

<tssv5o$cf4q$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=88910&group=uk.d-i-y#88910

From: noi...@lid.org (Brian)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2023 10:54:48 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:sUnb5Ej6ViXFs9W7ARnqAtDOPO0=
 by: Brian - Sun, 19 Feb 2023 10:54 UTC

Mike Halmarack <mikehalmarack@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Feb 2023 20:57:05 -0000 (UTC), Brian <noinv@lid.org> wrote:
>

>> When you start looking at the reference give by the other poster, you will
>> find several makers use the same filter. You could try popping into a small
>> local repair shop to see if they can match it. It may be a bit more
>> expensive but you can check it is the same.
>>
> Thanks, fortunately I don't need a repair. I was just hoping to avoid
> future problems by assuring that the minimalist filter structure was
> doing it's job. From the answers and links I got in reply it seems
> that all is as it should be.

Ok.

Some look very much the same but have a number of plastic fingers in the
chamber.

They are intended to catch coins, buttons, keys etc.

In practice, they get clogged with fluff and gunge.

I thing idea now is things just settle in the chamber.

Re: Washing Machine filter puzzle

<k5egenFrgdgU5@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=88917&group=uk.d-i-y#88917

From: news0...@eager.cx (Bob Eager)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 19 Feb 2023 11:45:27 GMT
 by: Bob Eager - Sun, 19 Feb 2023 11:45 UTC

On Sun, 19 Feb 2023 10:54:48 +0000, Brian wrote:

> Mike Halmarack <mikehalmarack@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, 18 Feb 2023 20:57:05 -0000 (UTC), Brian <noinv@lid.org> wrote:
>>

>>> When you start looking at the reference give by the other poster, you
>>> will find several makers use the same filter. You could try popping
>>> into a small local repair shop to see if they can match it. It may be
>>> a bit more expensive but you can check it is the same.
>>>
>> Thanks, fortunately I don't need a repair. I was just hoping to avoid
>> future problems by assuring that the minimalist filter structure was
>> doing it's job. From the answers and links I got in reply it seems that
>> all is as it should be.
>
> Ok.
>
> Some look very much the same but have a number of plastic fingers in the
> chamber.
>
> They are intended to catch coins, buttons, keys etc.
>
> In practice, they get clogged with fluff and gunge.
>
> I thing idea now is things just settle in the chamber.

I was unlucky. Similar kind of filter here. But it wouldn't unscrew
because of thick lumps of scale combined with fluff. I had no way of
getting it free.

In the end I bought another pump and fitted that. I've Dremel'd off the
old cover/filter and got a new one, so I have a spare pump now...

Re: Washing Machine filter puzzle

<k5ehdiF501kU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=88918&group=uk.d-i-y#88918

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2023 12:01:53 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Sun, 19 Feb 2023 12:01 UTC

Bob Eager wrote:

> I was unlucky. Similar kind of filter here. But it wouldn't unscrew
> because of thick lumps of scale combined with fluff. I had no way of
> getting it free.

Before disposing of my old machine, I thought I might as well remove the
filter as a spare, it turned a few degrees and then jammed, felt like it
had wedged a coin or button, I couldn't get it out.

Re: Washing Machine filter puzzle

<k5enlqFrgdgU6@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=88927&group=uk.d-i-y#88927

From: news0...@eager.cx (Bob Eager)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 19 Feb 2023 13:48:42 GMT
 by: Bob Eager - Sun, 19 Feb 2023 13:48 UTC

On Sun, 19 Feb 2023 12:01:53 +0000, Andy Burns wrote:

> Bob Eager wrote:
>
>> I was unlucky. Similar kind of filter here. But it wouldn't unscrew
>> because of thick lumps of scale combined with fluff. I had no way of
>> getting it free.
>
> Before disposing of my old machine, I thought I might as well remove the
> filter as a spare, it turned a few degrees and then jammed, felt like it
> had wedged a coin or button, I couldn't get it out.

That's exactly it. When I got the top off, it wasn't a coin or button, but
two lumps of scale.

I have a diary reminder to clean it out every few months.

Re: Washing Machine filter puzzle

<tstcjt$dski$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=88931&group=uk.d-i-y#88931

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2023 14:44:13 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Sun, 19 Feb 2023 14:44 UTC

Why are washing machine filters always at floor level?
Its almost impossible to open on without flooding the floor. You end up
loosening it a bit with a shallow tray underneath it and emptying it several
times before you can take it out.

Surely a pump function on the display could be used to raise the water up
enough for you to be able to put a bowl or jug under it.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"Mike Halmarack" <mikehalmarack@gmail.com> wrote in message
> On Sat, 18 Feb 2023 15:52:22 +0000, Jeff Layman <Jeff@invalid.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>>On 18/02/2023 15:10, Mike Halmarack wrote:
>>> My Belling Sensicare FW714 washing machine, about five years old has
>>> never shown any sign of filtered dross.
>>> This may be because of what screws out from the filter port, which is
>>> this:
>>> https://postimg.cc/gallery/MfSwbyG
>>>
>>> No previous washing machine I've had has such a minimal looking filter
>>> arrangement. I poked around inside the housing to see if there was
>>> another withdrawable part of the filter that had become detached and
>>> left inside but everything else seems solidly fixed in place.
>>> The manual just shows the screw cap location, nothing illustrating the
>>> filter itself.
>>> Any suggestions?
>>
>>The photos don't seem to be too far removed from spare filters sold by
>>Amazon:
>><https://www.amazon.co.uk/Washing-Machine-Filter/s?k=Washing+Machine+Filter>
>
> Thanks, that's just what I needed. Someone with a brain.
> --
>
> Mike

Re: Washing Machine filter puzzle

<k5err1F6hgiU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=88935&group=uk.d-i-y#88935

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2023 14:59:43 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Sun, 19 Feb 2023 14:59 UTC

Brian Gaff wrote:

> Why are washing machine filters always at floor level?
> Its almost impossible to open on without flooding the floor.

The new machine has an extra my previous machines haven't had, an
extendable pipe at the base where you can empty into a suitable
container, easier than using all the grotty old towels on the floor

Re: Washing Machine filter puzzle

<kje4vhtgg1vgqhcl6dlo4g2rhpjv67rkne@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=88937&group=uk.d-i-y#88937

From: me...@privacy.net (Custos Custodum)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2023 15:09:47 +0000
 by: Custos Custodum - Sun, 19 Feb 2023 15:09 UTC

On Sun, 19 Feb 2023 14:44:13 -0000, "Brian Gaff"
<brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote:

>Why are washing machine filters always at floor level?

Because that's where the pump is.

> Its almost impossible to open on without flooding the floor. You end up
>loosening it a bit with a shallow tray underneath it and emptying it several
>times before you can take it out.
>
>Surely a pump function on the display could be used to raise the water up
>enough for you to be able to put a bowl or jug under it.

Modern machines of any quality have a small "emergency" drain hose
built in for that purpose.

> Brian

Re: Washing Machine filter puzzle

<k5grniFfcrlU4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=88985&group=uk.d-i-y#88985

From: jun...@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2023 09:10:10 +0000
 by: alan_m - Mon, 20 Feb 2023 09:10 UTC

On 19/02/2023 14:44, Brian Gaff wrote:
> Why are washing machine filters always at floor level?
> Its almost impossible to open on without flooding the floor. You end up
> loosening it a bit with a shallow tray underneath it and emptying it several
> times before you can take it out.

So that you can open the filter cover when all else fails to drain the
water from your machine?

Re: Washing Machine filter puzzle

<tsvdnu$namb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=88986&group=uk.d-i-y#88986

From: cli...@nowaytoday.co.uk (Clive Arthur)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2023 09:15:41 +0000
 by: Clive Arthur - Mon, 20 Feb 2023 09:15 UTC

On 19/02/2023 14:44, Brian Gaff wrote:
> Why are washing machine filters always at floor level?

<snip>

Ours wasn't. Our washing machine was on a platform above the dryer in
the former coal cellar. The dryer vent used the coal chute.

--
Cheers
Clive

Re: Washing Machine filter puzzle

<20230220232707.18fdb2d1@Mars>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=89033&group=uk.d-i-y#89033

From: nos...@ntlworld.com (Rob Morley)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2023 23:27:07 +0000
H2J3@n:NH)h+HQQv-jP3EYU|.*HZ6q6nwd5N7uOFIr+@
 by: Rob Morley - Mon, 20 Feb 2023 23:27 UTC

On Sun, 19 Feb 2023 14:44:13 -0000
"Brian Gaff" <brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote:

> Why are washing machine filters always at floor level?
> Its almost impossible to open on without flooding the floor. You end
> up loosening it a bit with a shallow tray underneath it and emptying
> it several times before you can take it out.

I just use a wet vac, also handy when defrosting the freezer, another
situation that can result in a soggy kitchen floor.