Newsgroups: aus.electronics
Date: Wed, 19 May 2021 07:37:12 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Dontronics Closure
From: don.norr...@gmail.com (Don Norris)
 by: Don Norris - Wed, 19 May 2021 14:37 UTC

On Sunday, June 10, 2018 at 7:11:31 AM UTC+10, Don McKenzie wrote:
> Hi Tim,
>
> thanks very much for your kind words.
>
> It is very pleasing to hear feed back on my efforts over the years.
>
> I remember when this Newsgroup platform started, (for me around 1993) and yes I was able to advertise right here. It was
> not only well received, but most welcomed. As the years progressed, it suddenly became spam, and I can understand why.
> Of course it finally destroyed the newsgroup and brought them down to what they are today.
>
> I founded many groups including the Australian Electronics web ring, and the very first AVR user group, about a month
> after the first AVR 1200 device was released.
>
> I estimate that I provided close to 4000 technical answers to people seeking information on Electronics in this group,
> and the aus.computers group.
>
> It was a lot of fun, but nothing is forever. Again thank you.
>
> Cheers Don...
> On 10/06/2018 12:00 AM, geogr...@gmail.com wrote:
> > Hi Don,
> > Just wanted to say, I still have my DT001 Rev C board (1997) and a bunch of its accessory boards. I learned a lot from assembling and programming them.
> > Good luck and thanks for all you've done.
> > Best regards,
> > Tim
> >
> --
> Don McKenzie
>
> https://www.shop-dontronics.com
> https://www.shop-dontronics.com/Dontronics-Box-of-Goodies
Hi Don,
I worked for ATL in the late 70s I think we meet in Brisbane when I installed second tape drives in the vans. I also had to fix a machine I had not touched but which had a dead DMR asserting on the NPG line. Always thought you guys were playing me!
Anyway, I had to go down to Gladesville to pick up something today, so I also went to have a look at the old family home (totally rebuilt).. As that is not far from Meadowbank I decided to go and have look at the ATL building. I thought it had a heritage listing but no it is gone! The area we used for car parking down to the river, Nev Mitchell said would never be built on is now built out. Nancarrow Ave is like a canyon now, nowhere to park just like Hong Kong (yes I was dragged into the Shatin disaster).

Anyway All the Best in Retirement don.norris@hotmail.com

Re: Dontronics Closure

<s87f58$1c5s$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=897&group=aus.electronics#897

From: cjb+use...@brushtail.apana.org.au (Chris Baird)
Newsgroups: aus.electronics
Date: Fri, 21 May 2021 15:06:46 +1000
 by: Chris Baird - Fri, 21 May 2021 05:06 UTC

>> Hi Tim,
>> thanks very much for your kind words.
>> It is very pleasing to hear feed back on my efforts over the years.

>> I remember when this Newsgroup platform started, (for me around
>> 1993) and yes I was able to advertise right here.

...and did not care what it cost to those of us on the pre-1994 Aussie
Internet were using long-distance dial-up, and actively ignoring the
non-commerical traffic rules on CSIRO and other networks to email
their accounts with novice-level gear like BASIC Stamps.

>> It was not only well received, but most welcomed.

Don also lied constantly. Especially in posts from people reporting
their orders were missing/RMA/etc.

A couple of absolutely clueless old guys on their new Windows box were
over the moon for their first internet contact, but the network abuse
had the rest of the aus.electronics newsgroup telling him to stop, and
every Australian provider deleted his accounts for violating their
AUPs from us reporting it. After that happened about 3 times, Don took
to an overseas to continue scraping email addresses and spamming
everyone.

Naturally, he lavished praise on the old guys; they were maybe
5% (but growing) of the newsgroups users, but enough to fake a
perception his scraping emails and spamming emails were okay and he
was like everyone's Internet Friend. Don did the complete "HA HA FUCK
YOU" to anyone who complained in email. He stills owes me about $90
for the bill I sent from his mailbombing of my long-distance UUCP link.

Dontronics was Australia's first 'Canter & Siegel'-spec spammer.

--
Chris
bushwire!werple!scorch!glencoe!cjb