A narcissist is someone better looking than you are. -- Gore Vidal

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Has anyone got experience with underfloor heating for lofts?

SubjectAuthor
* Has anyone got experience with underfloor heating for lofts?Alex B
+- Re: Has anyone got experience with underfloor heating for lofts?Animal
`* Re: Has anyone got experience with underfloor heating for lofts?leen...@yahoo.co.uk
 `* Re: Has anyone got experience with underfloor heating for lofts?Tim Lamb
  +- Re: Has anyone got experience with underfloor heating for lofts?Andy Burns
  `* Re: Has anyone got experience with underfloor heating for lofts?Theo
   `* Re: Has anyone got experience with underfloor heating for lofts?Andrew
    `- Re: Has anyone got experience with underfloor heating for lofts?Tim Lamb

1
Has anyone got experience with underfloor heating for lofts?

<3517ef59-e14f-4fb1-8a13-e1e93621908en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=89336&group=uk.d-i-y#89336

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2023 13:50:42 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Has anyone got experience with underfloor heating for lofts?
From: alebleic...@gmail.com (Alex B)
 by: Alex B - Wed, 22 Feb 2023 21:50 UTC

I was trying to find concrete/screed floorboards that can be used as the structural floorboard and at the same have the grooves for the underfloor heating pipes.

The idea of using a concrete/screed floorboard is to have better thermal conductivity and less height instead of using floorboards and then a underfloor heating panel on top.

There are regular chipboards for underfloor heating that I'm also researching about, but considering the pricing, it may be better to just use regular chipboard and then additional underfloor heating panels on top.

If anyone has some advice on best options for underfloor heating in a loft, that would be great. I'm planning to use the same procedure on the 1st floor of the house later once we work our way down.

Re: Has anyone got experience with underfloor heating for lofts?

<71bfad16-c3e3-4daf-96c9-3d6fb1fb98ben@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=89343&group=uk.d-i-y#89343

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2023 16:53:51 -0800 (PST)
From: tabbyp...@gmail.com (Animal)
 by: Animal - Thu, 23 Feb 2023 00:53 UTC

On Wednesday, 22 February 2023 at 21:50:45 UTC, Alex B wrote:
> I was trying to find concrete/screed floorboards that can be used as the structural floorboard and at the same have the grooves for the underfloor heating pipes.
>
> The idea of using a concrete/screed floorboard is to have better thermal conductivity and less height instead of using floorboards and then a underfloor heating panel on top.
>
> There are regular chipboards for underfloor heating that I'm also researching about, but considering the pricing, it may be better to just use regular chipboard and then additional underfloor heating panels on top.
>
> If anyone has some advice on best options for underfloor heating in a loft, that would be great. I'm planning to use the same procedure on the 1st floor of the house later once we work our way down.

This is all very unclear

Re: Has anyone got experience with underfloor heating for lofts?

<72103ace-2611-4b23-a367-50e9088f719an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=89346&group=uk.d-i-y#89346

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2023 22:49:06 -0800 (PST)
From: leenow...@yahoo.co.uk (leen...@yahoo.co.uk)
 by: leen...@yahoo.co.uk - Thu, 23 Feb 2023 06:49 UTC

On Wednesday, 22 February 2023 at 21:50:45 UTC, Alex B wrote:
> I was trying to find concrete/screed floorboards that can be used as the structural floorboard and at the same have the grooves for the underfloor heating pipes.
>
> The idea of using a concrete/screed floorboard is to have better thermal conductivity and less height instead of using floorboards and then a underfloor heating panel on top.
>
> There are regular chipboards for underfloor heating that I'm also researching about, but considering the pricing, it may be better to just use regular chipboard and then additional underfloor heating panels on top.
>
> If anyone has some advice on best options for underfloor heating in a loft, that would be great. I'm planning to use the same procedure on the 1st floor of the house later once we work our way down.

What about the first 2 options here

https://www.theunderfloorheatingstore.com/knowledge-hub/guides/between-joists-or-suspended-floors

Re: Has anyone got experience with underfloor heating for lofts?

<7s61L5zcvy9jFwaI@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=89363&group=uk.d-i-y#89363

From: tim...@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk (Tim Lamb)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2023 09:03:24 +0000
 by: Tim Lamb - Thu, 23 Feb 2023 09:03 UTC

In message <72103ace-2611-4b23-a367-50e9088f719an@googlegroups.com>,
"leen...@yahoo.co.uk" <leenowell@yahoo.co.uk> writes
>On Wednesday, 22 February 2023 at 21:50:45 UTC, Alex B wrote:
>> I was trying to find concrete/screed floorboards that can be used as
>>the structural floorboard and at the same have the grooves for the
>>underfloor heating pipes.
>>
>> The idea of using a concrete/screed floorboard is to have better
>>thermal conductivity and less height instead of using floorboards and
>>then a underfloor heating panel on top.
>>
>> There are regular chipboards for underfloor heating that I'm also
>>researching about, but considering the pricing, it may be better to
>>just use regular chipboard and then additional underfloor heating
>>panels on top.
>>
>> If anyone has some advice on best options for underfloor heating in a
>>loft, that would be great. I'm planning to use the same procedure on
>>the 1st floor of the house later once we work our way down.
>
>What about the first 2 options here
>
>https://www.theunderfloorheatingstore.com/knowledge-hub/guides/between-j
>oists-or-suspended-floors

I used the *profloor* option for our second floor heating topped with
12mm ply. (pipe runs carefully marked!)

Curious about the concept of a heated loft floor. Grow-lights ?

--
Tim Lamb

Re: Has anyone got experience with underfloor heating for lofts?

<k5op3mFmlnlU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=89369&group=uk.d-i-y#89369

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2023 09:14:27 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Thu, 23 Feb 2023 09:14 UTC

Tim Lamb wrote:

> Curious about the concept of a heated loft floor.

Curious about the concept of a concrete loft floor.

Re: Has anyone got experience with underfloor heating for lofts?

<3Ab*KbD-y@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=89387&group=uk.d-i-y#89387

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 23 Feb 2023 10:36:03 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Theo - Thu, 23 Feb 2023 10:36 UTC

Tim Lamb <tim@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> Curious about the concept of a heated loft floor. Grow-lights ?

I assume it's a loft conversion, and because of the pitched roof there
aren't vertical walls on which to mount radiators. So UFH is another
option.

As per the recent 'noises in the loft conversion' thread, pay close
attention to the correct way to mount any panels to allow for expansion
movement.

Theo

Re: Has anyone got experience with underfloor heating for lofts?

<tt7qn3$1siag$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=89414&group=uk.d-i-y#89414

From: Andrew...@btinternet.com (Andrew)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2023 13:46:10 +0000
 by: Andrew - Thu, 23 Feb 2023 13:46 UTC

On 23/02/2023 10:36, Theo wrote:
> Tim Lamb <tim@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>> Curious about the concept of a heated loft floor. Grow-lights ?
>
> I assume it's a loft conversion, and because of the pitched roof there
> aren't vertical walls on which to mount radiators. So UFH is another
> option.
>
> As per the recent 'noises in the loft conversion' thread, pay close
> attention to the correct way to mount any panels to allow for expansion
> movement.
>
> Theo

A Grand Designs program of many years ago featured a modern
'box like' house in London that was fitted with hot wall
panels, which I think were pregrooved flooring panels with
inset 10mm polypex piping.

Re: Has anyone got experience with underfloor heating for lofts?

<yLsHiQ5GM39jFwpa@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=89417&group=uk.d-i-y#89417

From: tim...@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk (Tim Lamb)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2023 14:07:02 +0000
 by: Tim Lamb - Thu, 23 Feb 2023 14:07 UTC

In message <tt7qn3$1siag$1@dont-email.me>, Andrew
<Andrew97d@btinternet.com> writes
>On 23/02/2023 10:36, Theo wrote:
>> Tim Lamb <tim@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>>> Curious about the concept of a heated loft floor. Grow-lights ?
>> I assume it's a loft conversion, and because of the pitched roof
>>there
>> aren't vertical walls on which to mount radiators. So UFH is another
>> option.
>> As per the recent 'noises in the loft conversion' thread, pay close
>> attention to the correct way to mount any panels to allow for expansion
>> movement.
>> Theo
>
>A Grand Designs program of many years ago featured a modern
>'box like' house in London that was fitted with hot wall
>panels, which I think were pregrooved flooring panels with
>inset 10mm polypex piping.

The distribution manifolds come with auto air release provision. Unless
you have high flow rates, I see any vertical system being vulnerable to
air collection.

--
Tim Lamb