You have an ambitious nature and may make a name for yourself.

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: Eight-year sentence for drink driver who killed cyclist after emptying vodka bottle

SubjectAuthor
* Eight-year sentence for drink driver who killed cyclist afterswldx...@gmail.com
+* Re: Eight-year sentence for drink driver who killed cyclist afterswldx...@gmail.com
|`- Re: Eight-year sentence for drink driver who killed cyclist afterJNugent
+* Re: Eight-year sentence for drink driver who killed cyclist afterswldx...@gmail.com
|+- Re: Eight-year sentence for drink driver who killed cyclist afterSpike
|`- Re: Eight-year sentence for drink driver who killed cyclist afterJNugent
+- Re: Eight-year sentence for drink driver who killed cyclist afterswldx...@gmail.com
+* Re: Eight-year sentence for drink driver who killed cyclist afterswldx...@gmail.com
|`- Re: Eight-year sentence for drink driver who killed cyclist afterJNugent
+- Re: Eight-year sentence for drink driver who killed cyclist afterswldx...@gmail.com
`* Re: Eight-year sentence for drink driver who killed cyclist afterMike Collins
 +* Re: Eight-year sentence for drink driver who killed cyclist afterswldx...@gmail.com
 |`- Re: Eight-year sentence for drink driver who killed cyclist afterSpike
 +- Re: Eight-year sentence for drink driver who killed cyclist afterSpike
 `- Re: Eight-year sentence for drink driver who killed cyclist afterswldx...@gmail.com

1
Eight-year sentence for drink driver who killed cyclist after emptying vodka bottle

<0794b706-71c2-4a85-99d5-db2376682338n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8874&group=uk.rec.cycling#8874

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2022 08:49:51 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Eight-year sentence for drink driver who killed cyclist after
emptying vodka bottle
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Tue, 26 Apr 2022 15:49 UTC

ROT IN HELL, YOU SICK BASTARD.

A drink driver who killed a cyclist and only stopped when he crashed into another vehicle has been sentenced to eight years imprisonment at Cardiff Crown Court.

Matthew Clemo, 51, killed Michael Partridge as the 76-year-old grandfather cycled in Bedwas, Caerphilly, on September 25 last year. Despite treatment by paramedics and air ambulance, the cyclist died at the scene having been crushed between Clemo's van and a parked vehicle.

The court heard that Clemo also had low levels of cannabis and painkillers in his system, and had driven from work in Bristol, Wales Online (link is external) reports. The drink driver later registered 96mg (SIC)of alcohol per 100ml of breath (legal limit is 35mg (SIC), and police found an empty vodka bottle in his van.

Officers also reported Clemo had been so drunk he was unable to stand up without assistance, and said he had no recollection of the collision under interview.

The defendant pleaded guilty to causing death by dangerous driving, prompting Judge Nicola Saffman to sentence him to eight years imprisonment, half of which is to be served in custody, and disqualify him from driving for 12 years.

Clemo crashed his Ford Transit van into a parked car but continued driving and soon after collided with the cyclist. Despite the second collision, the alcohol-fuelled motorist continued driving and hit more parked cars, only stopping once his airbags deployed.

The sentencing hearing heard that Clemo had drifted onto the wrong side of the road on the busy residential street, Pandy Road, and was slightly over the 30mph speed limit when he hit Mr Partridge.

Clemo had 25 previous convictions, with 26 driving offences, including dangerous driving, vehicle taking and driving with excess alcohol. In defence, Jeffrey Jones said Clemo was an alcoholic who had been feeling "low" about work.

The court also heard that since conviction, Clemo has divorced his wife and moved away from her and their 10-year-old son. Mr Jones said the drink driver is "remorseful and upset" and resigned from his job.

However, Judge Saffman said: "Mr Partridge was a 76-year-old retired gentleman who worked hard all his life in the steelworks. He was a beloved husband, father and grandfather and his family have been severely impacted."

A statement from Mr Partridge's family after the incident said: "It is with great sadness that we announce the passing of Michael Vernon Partridge, our beloved husband, father and grandfather, who died on Saturday, September 25. He was taken from us too early in tragic circumstances doing what he loved. Dedicated to his family, he loved his time with his grandchildren, often playing and teasing them into fits of laughter.

"He was also a devoted husband who loved the harbour in Weymouth, watching boats and listening to the ocean waves with wife Pamela. A former Llanwern steelworker, painter and decorator, he was a man who worked hard and loved life. His other passions were music – he was involved with Aber Valley Male Voice Choir for many years and until recently Caerphilly Male Voice Choir – and rugby, where he volunteered and was a committee member with Bedwas Rugby Club."

https://road.cc/content/news/eight-year-sentence-drink-driver-who-killed-cyclist-292257

Re: Eight-year sentence for drink driver who killed cyclist after emptying vodka bottle

<ffadd9b5-c455-4e02-aa00-7771d011edd0n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8890&group=uk.rec.cycling#8890

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2022 11:16:36 -0700 (PDT)
emptying vodka bottle
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Tue, 26 Apr 2022 18:16 UTC

On Tuesday, April 26, 2022 at 4:49:52 PM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> ROT IN HELL, YOU SICK BASTARD.
The drink driver later registered 96mg (SIC) of alcohol per 100ml of breath (legal limit is 35mg (SIC), and police found an empty vodka bottle in his van.

It's μg in breath, not "mg" - you're a 1000 times out - SJM.

Re: Eight-year sentence for drink driver who killed cyclist after emptying vodka bottle

<38df388f-b46b-464d-b83f-0993ef06ab35n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8920&group=uk.rec.cycling#8920

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2022 06:34:51 -0700 (PDT)
emptying vodka bottle
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Wed, 27 Apr 2022 13:34 UTC

eburtthebike | 3098 posts | 22 hours ago
10 likes

"Clemo had 25 previous convictions, with 26 driving offences, including dangerous driving, vehicle taking and driving with excess alcohol."

Neatly summing up what is wrong with our ridiculously mis-named justice system. Anyone with a record that bad should never have been allowed to drive again, let alone driving for their job. If they were caught that many times, how many times had they actually broken the law? Judging by what many motorists get away with, it must have been thousands.

I'd suggest that if you've been convicted five times for driving offences, it is clear that you are a serial offender who is unable to control themself so the ability to re-offend should be removed forever.

Re: Eight-year sentence for drink driver who killed cyclist after emptying vodka bottle

<jcsv90F9qllU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8921&group=uk.rec.cycling#8921

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
emptying vodka bottle
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2022 13:37:38 +0000
 by: Spike - Wed, 27 Apr 2022 13:37 UTC

On 27/04/2022 13:34, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

> I'd suggest that if you've been convicted five times for driving offences, it is clear that you are a serial offender who is unable to control themself so the ability to re-offend should be removed forever.

Would that applied to cyclists.

But what did that Labour peer Baroness say, again?

--
Spike

Re: Eight-year sentence for drink driver who killed cyclist after emptying vodka bottle

<1ed5dca7-8f32-4d75-9f51-d9d4d94e2ccfn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8923&group=uk.rec.cycling#8923

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2022 06:42:05 -0700 (PDT)
emptying vodka bottle
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Wed, 27 Apr 2022 13:42 UTC

Mr Jones said the drink driver is "remorseful and upset" . . . . . . that he got caught yet again, that this might impinge on his life in the future and that the world now knows what a selfish, murderous p***k he is.
reply quote

OldRidgeback replied to NOtotheEU | 4002 posts | 4 hours ago
2 likes

Going by his record I doubt a ban would've stopped him from driving. With people like this, they often don't stop driving until something really serious happens, like a fatality.

My condolences go to the family of his victim.

Re: Eight-year sentence for drink driver who killed cyclist after emptying vodka bottle

<jct8c8Fbg8aU4@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8946&group=uk.rec.cycling#8946

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
emptying vodka bottle
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2022 17:12:56 +0100
 by: JNugent - Wed, 27 Apr 2022 16:12 UTC

Telling himself off for getting his metric weights and measures wrong:

> On Tuesday, April 26, 2022 at 4:49:52 PM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

>> ROT IN HELL, YOU SICK BASTARD.
> The drink driver later registered 96mg (SIC) of alcohol per 100ml of breath (legal limit is 35mg (SIC), and police found an empty vodka bottle in his van.

> It's μg in breath, not "mg" - you're a 1000 times out - SJM.

Re: Eight-year sentence for drink driver who killed cyclist after emptying vodka bottle

<jct8gnFbg8aU5@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8948&group=uk.rec.cycling#8948

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
emptying vodka bottle
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2022 17:15:19 +0100
 by: JNugent - Wed, 27 Apr 2022 16:15 UTC

> eburtthebike | 3098 posts | 22 hours ago

> "Clemo had 25 previous convictions, with 26 driving offences, including dangerous driving, vehicle taking and driving with excess alcohol."
>
> Neatly summing up what is wrong with our ridiculously mis-named [sic] justice system. Anyone with a record that bad should never have been allowed to drive again, let alone driving for their job. If they were caught that many times, how many times had they actually broken the law? Judging by what many motorists get away with, it must have been thousands.
>
> I'd suggest that if you've been convicted five times for driving offences, it is clear that you are a serial offender who is unable to control themself so the ability to re-offend should be removed forever.

With that number (and scale) of convictions on his sheet, the odds have
to be high that he was nothing but a qualified fairy-cyclist anyway.

There are frequent reports of fully-qualified fairy-cyclists posing as
qualified drivers, often with tragic outcomes.

Re: Eight-year sentence for drink driver who killed cyclist after emptying vodka bottle

<d9905280-8b21-40a3-be85-1f665d683d0bn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8949&group=uk.rec.cycling#8949

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2022 09:15:57 -0700 (PDT)
emptying vodka bottle
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Wed, 27 Apr 2022 16:15 UTC

On Tuesday, April 26, 2022 at 4:49:52 PM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> ROT IN HELL, YOU SICK BASTARD.

LOOK AT HIS MUGSHOT - UTTER SCUM PERSONIFIED:

https://cdn.road.cc/sites/default/files/styles/main_width/public/screenshot-236_0.png

Re: Eight-year sentence for drink driver who killed cyclist after emptying vodka bottle

<jct92vFbmmsU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8952&group=uk.rec.cycling#8952

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
emptying vodka bottle
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2022 17:25:02 +0100
 by: JNugent - Wed, 27 Apr 2022 16:25 UTC

> On Tuesday, April 26, 2022 at 4:49:52 PM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

>> ROT IN HELL, YOU SICK BASTARD.

> LOOK AT HIS MUGSHOT - UTTER SCUM PERSONIFIED:
> https://cdn.road.cc/sites/default/files/styles/main_width/public/screenshot-236_0.png

Would you describe him as a "gibbering idiot"?

Re: Eight-year sentence for drink driver who killed cyclist after emptying vodka bottle

<c2d44b2f-7682-450f-b7d9-60ba6d7450acn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8953&group=uk.rec.cycling#8953

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2022 09:26:19 -0700 (PDT)
emptying vodka bottle
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Wed, 27 Apr 2022 16:26 UTC

Wingguy replied to John Stevenson | 112 posts | 5 hours ago
2 likes
To be honest I find it really annoying when the press in general quotes 'x times over the limit' because those figures come from his BAC when he is tested at the police station (or hospital?) which could be hours and hours and hours later.
Like in this case - a long time alcoholic too drunk to stand unassisted and we're saying he's only 2 times over the limit? It's absurd. When he was actually driving he would have been far worse, 5, 6, 7 times or more.

Re: Eight-year sentence for drink driver who killed cyclist after emptying vodka bottle

<befcc3e5-8357-40b0-b07b-66ec86599fe0n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8964&group=uk.rec.cycling#8964

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2022 10:32:40 -0700 (PDT)
emptying vodka bottle
From: cmike8...@gmail.com (Mike Collins)
 by: Mike Collins - Wed, 27 Apr 2022 17:32 UTC

On Tuesday, 26 April 2022 at 16:49:52 UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> [...]
>
> "He was also a devoted husband who loved the harbour in Weymouth, watching boats and listening to the ocean waves with wife Pamela. A former Llanwern steelworker, painter and decorator, he was a man who worked hard and loved life. His other passions were music – he was involved with Aber Valley Male Voice Choir for many years and until recently Caerphilly Male Voice Choir – and rugby, where he volunteered and was a committee member with Bedwas Rugby Club."

Take him out into international waters, give him a rubber boat and a paddle and let him go to hell in a fashion of his own choosing. If he does not want to obey the laws of this country let him find a new country.

Re: Eight-year sentence for drink driver who killed cyclist after emptying vodka bottle

<eff5e6cb-c279-4f46-9366-b74f91e0af0an@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8968&group=uk.rec.cycling#8968

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2022 12:25:50 -0700 (PDT)
emptying vodka bottle
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Wed, 27 Apr 2022 19:25 UTC

On Wednesday, April 27, 2022 at 6:32:41 PM UTC+1, Mike Collins wrote:
> On Tuesday, 26 April 2022 at 16:49:52 UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> > ROT IN HELL, YOU SICK BASTARD.

> Take him out into international waters, give him a rubber boat and a paddle and let him go to hell in a fashion of his own choosing. If he does not want to obey the laws of this country let him find a new country.

Sadly, thanks to the thicko racist brextards and their xenophobic wish to drag the UK back to the 1950's, his choice of countries to flee to is somewhat reduced. Let him pick rotting crops at 0500h instead - there's a massive shortage due to brexit.

Re: Eight-year sentence for drink driver who killed cyclist after emptying vodka bottle

<jcv0cjFljumU3@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8976&group=uk.rec.cycling#8976

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
emptying vodka bottle
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2022 08:08:55 +0000
 by: Spike - Thu, 28 Apr 2022 08:08 UTC

On 27/04/2022 17:32, Mike Collins wrote:

> Take him out into international waters, give him a rubber boat and a paddle and let him go to hell in a fashion of his own choosing. If he does not want to obey the laws of this country let him find a new country.

That would work well for criminal cyclists, too.

--
Spike

Re: Eight-year sentence for drink driver who killed cyclist after emptying vodka bottle

<jcv0npFljumU4@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8977&group=uk.rec.cycling#8977

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
emptying vodka bottle
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2022 08:14:53 +0000
 by: Spike - Thu, 28 Apr 2022 08:14 UTC

On 27/04/2022 19:25, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

> Sadly, thanks to the thicko racist brextards and their xenophobic wish to drag the UK back to the 1950's,

I thought that was the cyclists' agenda - a return to the glory days of
1950 and the 15bn miles cycled, before plummeting by 80% in 20 years,
/never/ to recover.

--
Spike

Re: Eight-year sentence for drink driver who killed cyclist after emptying vodka bottle

<68c0a59b-020c-481b-9221-628e25a76589n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8982&group=uk.rec.cycling#8982

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2022 02:48:38 -0700 (PDT)
emptying vodka bottle
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Thu, 28 Apr 2022 09:48 UTC

> Take him out into international waters, give him a rubber boat and a paddle and let him go to hell in a fashion of his own choosing.

I am not in favour of the death penalty - there have been too many innocent people found guilty by mistake.