The only "ism" Hollywood believes in is plagiarism. -- Dorothy Parker

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: National newspaper warns of "cycling wars" after near miss video sparks media meltdown

SubjectAuthor
* National newspaper warns of "cycling wars" after near miss video sparks media meswldx...@gmail.com
+* Re: National newspaper warns of "cycling wars" after near miss videoswldx...@gmail.com
|+* Re: National newspaper warns of "cycling wars" after near miss videoJNugent
||`* Re: National newspaper warns of "cycling wars" after near miss videoSpike
|| `- Re: National newspaper warns of "fairy-cycling wars" after near missJNugent
|`* Re: National newspaper warns of "cycling wars" after near miss videoSpike
| `- Re: National newspaper warns of "fairy-cycling wars" after near missJNugent
+* Re: National newspaper warns of "cycling wars" after near miss videoswldx...@gmail.com
|`- Re: National newspaper warns of "fairy-cycling wars" after near missJNugent
`- Re: National newspaper warns of "cycling wars" after near miss videoswldx...@gmail.com

1
National newspaper warns of "cycling wars" after near miss video sparks media meltdown

<2f36b01b-5090-465d-bf82-621a2689bcben@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8959&group=uk.rec.cycling#8959

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2022 09:48:08 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: National newspaper warns of "cycling wars" after near miss video sparks media meltdown
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Wed, 27 Apr 2022 16:48 UTC

Last week our Near Miss of the Day 752 showed footage released by Sheffield North West Neighbourhood Policing Team, in which an approaching driver passed a group of cyclists too closely, resulting in a £417 fine and five penalty points.

The force added that "if anyone thinks this is an acceptable manner of driving, let this be your warning". However, despite the police, Crown Prosecution Service, and court finding fault with the driving, the footage has been reported less definitively by many media outlets who have since shared the video.

A quick search of news stories relating to the incident reveals several written from the angle of the video "splitting opinion" or the punishment being controversial.

Yorkshire Live (link is external) published one such article headlined: "Sheffield driver fined £417 for getting too close to cyclist as punishment splits opinion", before a follow-up piece went live this morning, titled "Angry drivers say 'cyclist to blame' as Sheffield motorist hit with £417 fine for overtaking bike".

Likewise, The Scottish Sun (link is external) opted for: "Driver fined £400 for being ‘too close’ to cyclists on other side of country road – but it has divided opinion", while Manchester Evening News (link is external) asked "Do you think that this driver deserved his fine or not?"

Most eye-catchingly, however, was The Telegraph's coverage, (link is external) which warned of "the cycling wars taking over the countryside", and compared January's Highway Code changes, brought in to better protect vulnerable road users, as feeling like a "relegation to serfdom on the streets" for "miserable drivers".

Writer Harry de Quetteville said there had been a dispute between motorists and cyclists about who was at fault and "far from settling the issue, however, the film inevitably inflamed the spat between fans of four wheels or two".
Telegraph story

Part of the "digital collision" over videos like the one from Sheffield, he argues, is: "Because, according to the new Highway Code, there is indeed a new hierarchy of culpability, with cars one up from the bottom (above only lorries) and cyclists one down from the top (one down from pedestrians). It is a pecking order based, logically enough, on the vulnerability of potential victims.

"But for miserable drivers already sucking up rampant petrol price rises, never-ending (or never beginning) roadworks, and general gridlock, the result can feel like relegation to serfdom on the streets. Gone are the princely postwar dreams of independence behind the wheel, replaced by demonisation as a manic pedestrian – or planet-killer. It all seems a bit unfair.."

Elsewhere in the piece, De Quetteville, without nuance, says the new Highway Code encourages cyclists to ride two abreast, or in the middle of the road.

The Highway Code actually states, as per Rule 66:

Be considerate of the needs of other road users when riding in groups. You can ride two abreast and it can be safer to do so, particularly in larger groups or when accompanying children or less experienced riders. Be aware of drivers behind you and allow them to overtake (for example, by moving into single file or stopping) when you feel it is safe to let them do so

Inspector Kevin Smith, lead of the Sheffield Northwest Neighbourhood Policing Team, commented on our story explaining how the close pass case played out: "I can't take all the credit though I was just sent the footage, realised it was very close to the NIP (Notice of Intended Prosecution) date and sent officers out to personally serve the S59 warning and the NIP.

"Chap responsible clearly thought he had done nothing wrong and took it to court. The courts agreed with me and not the driver. By putting the videos out there I hope there is a bit of a database of what constitutes an offence to encourage other forces to have confidence in prosecuting videos like this.

"I have issued hundreds of TORs and very few elect to go to court. When they do, and the court agrees with my assessment, that is worth sharing as validation especially where there is video evidence. Anyway, the Telegraph has now gone with it."

The "splits opinion" headlines surrounding last week's video are not the first time the national press has taken an interest in issues of cycle safety this year.

Following the aforementioned Highway Code update in January, two major newspapers wrongly claimed drivers face fines if they do not use the Dutch Reach technique when opening car doors.

https://road.cc/content/news/media-meltdown-over-near-miss-video-292289

Re: National newspaper warns of "cycling wars" after near miss video sparks media meltdown

<ff9c4a19-b4ba-440e-a047-e0fd6a741094n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8969&group=uk.rec.cycling#8969

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2022 13:19:40 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: National newspaper warns of "cycling wars" after near miss video
sparks media meltdown
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Wed, 27 Apr 2022 20:19 UTC

open_roads | 137 posts | 1 hour ago
2 likes

People might find their opinion was less "split" if they had to stand in the middle of one carriageway whilst a car was deliberately driven at them at 50-70mph and only missing them by 20cm.

For starters this should be a mandated experience for all drivers prosecuted for close passes - and also for most drivers prosecuted for exceeding the relevant speed limit by more than 15%.

Re: National newspaper warns of "cycling wars" after near miss video sparks media meltdown

<jcu1q3Fg78qU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8970&group=uk.rec.cycling#8970

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
sparks media meltdown
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2022 00:26:59 +0100
 by: JNugent - Wed, 27 Apr 2022 23:26 UTC

> open_roads | 137 posts | 1 hour ago
> 2 likes
>
> People might find their opinion was less "split" if they had to stand in the middle of one carriageway whilst a car was deliberately driven at them at 50-70mph and only missing them by 20cm.

Which fairy-cyclist ever "had" to stand in the middle of a carriageway
(which means on the centre line)?

> For starters this should be a mandated experience for all drivers
prosecuted for close passes - and also for most drivers prosecuted for
exceeding the relevant speed limit by more than 15%.

Why?

Re: National newspaper warns of "cycling wars" after near miss video sparks media meltdown

<jcv00uFliivU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8973&group=uk.rec.cycling#8973

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
sparks media meltdown
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2022 08:02:42 +0000
 by: Spike - Thu, 28 Apr 2022 08:02 UTC

On 27/04/2022 23:26, JNugent wrote:
> On 27/04/2022 09:19 pm, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

>> open_roads | 137 posts | 1 hour ago
>> 2 likes

>> People might find their opinion was less "split" if they had to stand in the middle of one carriageway whilst a car was deliberately driven at them at 50-70mph and only missing them by 20cm.

> Which fairy-cyclist ever "had" to stand in the middle of a carriageway
> (which means on the centre line)?

> > For starters this should be a mandated experience for all drivers
> prosecuted for close passes - and also for most drivers prosecuted for
> exceeding the relevant speed limit by more than 15%.

> Why?

To fulfil a mixture of entitlement, small-mindedness, vindictiveness and
spite?

--
Spike

Re: National newspaper warns of "cycling wars" after near miss video sparks media meltdown

<jcv0qfFljumU5@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8978&group=uk.rec.cycling#8978

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
sparks media meltdown
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2022 08:16:19 +0000
 by: Spike - Thu, 28 Apr 2022 08:16 UTC

On 27/04/2022 20:19, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> open_roads | 137 posts | 1 hour ago
> 2 likes

> People might find their opinion was less "split" if they had to stand in the middle of one carriageway whilst a car was deliberately driven at them at 50-70mph and only missing them by 20cm.

> For starters this should be a mandated experience for all drivers prosecuted for close passes - and also for most drivers prosecuted for exceeding the relevant speed limit by more than 15%.

In order to satisfy a mixture of entitlement, small-mindedness,
vindictiveness and
spite?

--
Spike

Re: National newspaper warns of "cycling wars" after near miss video sparks media meltdown

<27933ae5-241d-4845-bdab-9c93840630fbn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8983&group=uk.rec.cycling#8983

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2022 02:52:43 -0700 (PDT)
sparks media meltdown
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Thu, 28 Apr 2022 09:52 UTC

Surreyrider | 166 posts | 34 min ago
0 likes

The (factually inaccurate) Telegraph piece (& many others across the national media) is tantamount to inciting hatred until the final third that nobody but cyclists will read.
But what is even more alarming is the number of comments that the driver did nothing wrong and the cyclists were at fault, despite being on their side of the road the whole time.
I went for a ride after the video was released and took notice of the huge number of vehicles in my area of Surrey that treated road markings as decoration.

Awavey replied to open_roads | 2517 posts | 11 hours ago
3 likes
ask them to stand them on a railway platform the wrong side of the yellow line with their back to a train coming through at full speed, then ask them to do it again in the same spot riding a bike.

Re: National newspaper warns of "fairy-cycling wars" after near miss video sparks media meltdown

<jcvhrcFosdaU3@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8986&group=uk.rec.cycling#8986

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: National newspaper warns of "fairy-cycling wars" after near miss
video sparks media meltdown
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2022 14:06:52 +0100
 by: JNugent - Thu, 28 Apr 2022 13:06 UTC

On 28/04/2022 10:52 am, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

> Surreyrider | 166 posts | 34 min ago
> 0 likes
>
> The (factually inaccurate) Telegraph piece (& many others across the national media) is tantamount to inciting hatred until the final third that nobody but fairy-cyclists will read.
> But what is even more alarming is the number of comments that the driver did nothing wrong and the fairy-cyclists were at fault, despite being on their side of the road the whole time.
> I went for a ride after the video was released and took notice of the huge number of vehicles in my area of Surrey that treated road markings as decoration.
>
> Awavey replied to open_roads | 2517 posts | 11 hours ago
> 3 likes
>
> ask them to stand them on a railway platform the wrong side of the yellow line with their back to a train coming through at full speed, then ask them to do it again in the same spot riding a bike.

Why?

Re: National newspaper warns of "fairy-cycling wars" after near miss video sparks media meltdown

<jcvhtvFosdaU4@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8987&group=uk.rec.cycling#8987

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
video sparks media meltdown
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2022 14:08:15 +0100
 by: JNugent - Thu, 28 Apr 2022 13:08 UTC

On 28/04/2022 09:02 am, Spike wrote:

> On 27/04/2022 23:26, JNugent wrote:
>> On 27/04/2022 09:19 pm, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

>>> open_roads | 137 posts | 1 hour ago

>>> People might find their opinion was less "split" if they had to stand in the middle of one carriageway whilst a car was deliberately driven at them at 50-70mph and only missing them by 20cm.

>> Which fairy-cyclist ever "had" to stand in the middle of a carriageway
>> (which means on the centre line)?

>>> For starters this should be a mandated experience for all drivers
>>> prosecuted for close passes - and also for most drivers prosecuted for
>>> exceeding the relevant speed limit by more than 15%.

>> Why?

> To fulfil a mixture of entitlement, small-mindedness, vindictiveness and
> spite?

Those would be the only reasons (and only in the minds of
fairy-cyclists, of course).

Re: National newspaper warns of "fairy-cycling wars" after near miss video sparks media meltdown

<jcvhvbFosdaU5@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8988&group=uk.rec.cycling#8988

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
video sparks media meltdown
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2022 14:08:59 +0100

On 28/04/2022 09:16 am, Spike wrote:

> On 27/04/2022 20:19, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
>> open_roads | 137 posts | 1 hour ago

>> People might find their opinion was less "split" if they had to stand in the middle of one carriageway whilst a car was deliberately driven at them at 50-70mph and only missing them by 20cm.
>
>> For starters this should be a mandated experience for all drivers prosecuted for close passes - and also for most drivers prosecuted for exceeding the relevant speed limit by more than 15%.
>
> In order to satisfy a mixture of entitlement, small-mindedness,
> vindictiveness and spite?

For fairy-cyclists, that sounds about right.

Re: National newspaper warns of "cycling wars" after near miss video sparks media meltdown

<029fff96-81d9-4fea-a64d-1d478fe2de88n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8992&group=uk.rec.cycling#8992

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2022 08:52:02 -0700 (PDT)
sparks media meltdown
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Thu, 28 Apr 2022 15:52 UTC

Quote:
The driver of this vehicle decided to pass a group of cyclists at excessive speed and far too closely.

Neither the speed nor crossing the white line would be an offence if there was no oncoming traffic, the driver was sanctioned for careless driving for making a close pass. Not sure what point you're trying to make but this site is right and you're not.