From: tre...@rageaudio.com.au (Trevor Wilson)
Newsgroups: aus.electronics
Subject: Re: anybody here familiar with 3D printers from ALDI/office works?
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2021 08:20:28 +1000
 by: Trevor Wilson - Sun, 13 Jun 2021 22:20 UTC

On 28/01/2019 11:47 am, Taupe wrote:
> I have a auto. coffee machine with a busted Gear & was wondering if it was
> possible to replace the gear by 3D printing it.
>
> It is a significant piece as it compresses the ground coffee with plunger
> before hot water forced through.
>
> with age/ over-use/misalignment? the teeth on the gears have broken off (as
> it
> is made of plastic )
>
> Is it possible to make a solid gear able to withstand the above forces or is
> the method of 3D printing (i.e built up droplets at a time) make it
> structurally week, not as strong as "injection moulding"?

**I wandered into my local public library about a year ago and was
surprised to see a rather expensive 3D printer available for (free) use.
Perhaps that might be a better option.

Re: anybody here familiar with 3D printers from ALDI/office works?

<sa65o0$940$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=899&group=aus.electronics#899

From: not...@telling.you.invalid (Computer Nerd Kev)
Newsgroups: aus.electronics
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2021 23:52:33 +0000 (UTC)
 by: Computer Nerd Kev - Sun, 13 Jun 2021 23:52 UTC

Trevor Wilson <trevor@rageaudio.com.au> wrote:
> On 28/01/2019 11:47 am, Taupe wrote:
>> I have a auto. coffee machine with a busted Gear & was wondering if it was
>> possible to replace the gear by 3D printing it.
>>
>> It is a significant piece as it compresses the ground coffee with plunger
>> before hot water forced through.
>>
>> with age/ over-use/misalignment? the teeth on the gears have broken off (as
>> it
>> is made of plastic )
>>
>> Is it possible to make a solid gear able to withstand the above forces or is
>> the method of 3D printing (i.e built up droplets at a time) make it
>> structurally week, not as strong as "injection moulding"?
>>

> **I wandered into my local public library about a year ago and was
> surprised to see a rather expensive 3D printer available for (free) use.

Obviously a lot quieter than my Makerbot Cupcake (most are) -
pretty funny to imagine it in a library screeching away.

As noted originally, the materials available will likely be
important for a high-strength application. The library might only
have PLA available, which would be a poor choice.

> Perhaps that might be a better option.

After more than two years, I doubt that new options are of much
relevance to the OP.

--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _#

Re: anybody here familiar with 3D printers from ALDI/office works?

<iipup6Fu7o1U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=900&group=aus.electronics#900

From: tre...@rageaudio.com.au (Trevor Wilson)
Newsgroups: aus.electronics
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2021 07:07:51 +1000
 by: Trevor Wilson - Mon, 14 Jun 2021 21:07 UTC

On 14/06/2021 9:52 am, Computer Nerd Kev wrote:
> Trevor Wilson <trevor@rageaudio.com.au> wrote:
>> On 28/01/2019 11:47 am, Taupe wrote:
>>> I have a auto. coffee machine with a busted Gear & was wondering if it was
>>> possible to replace the gear by 3D printing it.
>>>
>>> It is a significant piece as it compresses the ground coffee with plunger
>>> before hot water forced through.
>>>
>>> with age/ over-use/misalignment? the teeth on the gears have broken off (as
>>> it
>>> is made of plastic )
>>>
>>> Is it possible to make a solid gear able to withstand the above forces or is
>>> the method of 3D printing (i.e built up droplets at a time) make it
>>> structurally week, not as strong as "injection moulding"?
>>>

>> **I wandered into my local public library about a year ago and was
>> surprised to see a rather expensive 3D printer available for (free) use.
>
> Obviously a lot quieter than my Makerbot Cupcake (most are) -
> pretty funny to imagine it in a library screeching away.
>
> As noted originally, the materials available will likely be
> important for a high-strength application. The library might only
> have PLA available, which would be a poor choice.
>
>> Perhaps that might be a better option.
>
> After more than two years, I doubt that new options are of much
> relevance to the OP.

**YIKES! That'll learn me. I had to reinstall my newsreader and forgot
to re-organise stuff.

Re: anybody here familiar with 3D printers from ALDI/office works?

<uLidncpBP80L0lX9nZ2dnUU7-I2dnZ2d@westnet.com.au>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=901&group=aus.electronics#901

Newsgroups: aus.electronics
From: rhei...@bigslong.com (Rheilly Phoull)
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2021 14:58:29 +0800
 by: Rheilly Phoull - Tue, 15 Jun 2021 06:58 UTC

On 15/06/2021 5:07 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:
> On 14/06/2021 9:52 am, Computer Nerd Kev wrote:
>> Trevor Wilson <trevor@rageaudio.com.au> wrote:

>>> **I wandered into my local public library about a year ago and was
>>> surprised to see a rather expensive 3D printer available for (free) use.
>>
>> Obviously a lot quieter than my Makerbot Cupcake (most are) -
>> pretty funny to imagine it in a library screeching away.
>>
>> As noted originally, the materials available will likely be
>> important for a high-strength application. The library might only
>> have PLA available, which would be a poor choice.
>>
>>> Perhaps that might be a better option.
>>
>> After more than two years, I doubt that new options are of much
>> relevance to the OP.
>>

> **YIKES! That'll learn me. I had to reinstall my newsreader and forgot
> to re-organise stuff.

You're not alone Trevor ;-)