I had pancake makeup for brunch!

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Re: Driving a sound bar

SubjectAuthor
* Driving a sound barpinnerite
+* Re: Driving a sound barPaul
|`* Re: Driving a sound barSargan
| `* Re: Driving a sound barpinnerite
|  `* Re: Driving a sound barPaul
|   `* Re: Driving a sound barJohn Rumm
|    `* Re: Driving a sound barPaul
|     `- Re: Driving a sound barJohn Rumm
+- Re: Driving a sound barJohn Rumm
+* Re: Driving a sound barWoody
|+- Re: Driving a sound barThe Natural Philosopher
|`- Re: Driving a sound barJohn Rumm
+- Re: Driving a sound barUnsteadyken
+- Re: Driving a sound barAdrian Caspersz
`* Re: Driving a sound barMax Demian
 `* Re: Driving a sound barPaul
  `* Re: Driving a sound barMax Demian
   `* Re: Driving a sound barPaul
    `* Re: Driving a sound barMax Demian
     `* Re: Driving a sound barMax Demian
      `* Re: Driving a sound barAdrian Caspersz
       `* Re: Driving a sound barMax Demian
        +* Re: Driving a sound barRod Speed
        |`* Re: Driving a sound barMax Demian
        | `- Re: Driving a sound barRod Speed
        `- Re: Driving a sound barJohn Rumm

Pages:12
Re: Driving a sound bar

<ttj1d4$3bacu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=90032&group=uk.d-i-y#90032

From: see.my.s...@nowhere.null (John Rumm)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Driving a sound bar
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2023 19:47:47 +0000
 by: John Rumm - Mon, 27 Feb 2023 19:47 UTC

On 25/02/2023 15:44, Paul wrote:
> On 2/21/2023 5:10 AM, John Rumm wrote:

>>> Does the product line include a sub to go with it ?
>>>
>>> Here is a short discussion about the sub option.
>>>
>>> https://www.avforums.com/threads/sub-for-dali-kubik-soundbar.2074867/
>>>
>>> This is an example of a bottom-firing sub. 150W.
>>> You can set the cutoff frequency, so the bottom end of the Kubic
>>> meshes with the top end of the sub.
>>>
>>> https://www.amazon.co.uk/BK-Subwoofers-Gemini-II-Black-Ash/dp/B00KGC0VII
>>>
>>> It's a box the cat can sleep on top of.
>>>
>>> The problem with subs, where the amp is integral to the speaker cabinet,
>>> is the amp runs hot because there's no cooling for it. This one could
>>> be Class-D though, so it won't be as inefficient as older amps. The
>>> capacitors inside units like this, are glued to one another, so the
>>> vibration from the sub, doesn't snap the legs off the caps. One of the
>>> failure modes, is the glue is actually conductive, and if it comes
>>> in contact with conductors inside the design, it can short stuff.
>>> (The glue ages when it is heated.)
>>
>> On ones like my Monolith DF, the amp is built on a large heatsink
>> which pokes out of the case:
>>
>> http://www.bkelec.com/HiFi/Sub_Woofers/monolith-df_Plus.htm
>>
>> It seems to run at most "warm" for AV use... (heavy music use might
>> push it harder).
>
> Some of the audio systems in cars, use two alternators for power.
> That's to make the panels on the car rattle a bit more.
>
> If your speaker is ported, that might double as an "air exchange"
> feature.

Yup mine (Monolith) is - but it is also a 300W amp!

> but the one above that runs at 150W, I didn't see a
> port on it. The poor amp must be frying in there.

I don't think the Gemini is ported... I would guess that is kind of the
spiritual successor to the compact form factor REL units like the Q-Bass
(the box is about 1ft^3)

(the designer at BK is the same chap who designed most of the REL subs -
I had a chat with him before I bought mine since I was trying to work
out if it was worth repairing my old Q-Bass (not really was the answer))

> Having fins on the back of the sub, at least gives the amp a chance.
>
> I did see a home sub that runs at 1200W. What are they thinking ???
> The cat won't be able to stay on top of that for too long.
:-)

--
Cheers,

John.