Between infinite and short there is a big difference. -- G. H. Gonnet

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: Notorious Derby road is only dangerous because of 'idiots that can't obey a speed limit'

SubjectAuthor
* Notorious Derby road is only dangerous because of 'idiots that can'tswldx...@gmail.com
+- Re: Notorious Derby road is only dangerous because of 'idiots thatJNugent
`- Re: Notorious Derby road is only dangerous because of 'idiots thatswldx...@gmail.com

1
Notorious Derby road is only dangerous because of 'idiots that can't obey a speed limit'

<1dc2725b-4d8e-4b74-8064-815cda6d13d2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9015&group=uk.rec.cycling#9015

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2022 14:17:54 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Notorious Derby road is only dangerous because of 'idiots that can't
obey a speed limit'
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Thu, 28 Apr 2022 21:17 UTC

Residents demanding action for a notoriously dangerous Derby road have been challenged by other locals claiming the road isn't dangerous, it is just the people speeding that make it accident prone. Warwick Avenue is somewhat of a crash blackspot, with a local councillor claiming the road sees at least an incident a week.

This follows a recent incident which involved a car hitting a lamp post leaving three people injured, and one local suggesting speed cameras should be installed on the road. The 40mph section of the inner ring road has had at least four car related fatalities in the last 20 years, yet a lot of Derbyshire Live readers believe it is other drivers that are the real problem.

Although some Derbyshire Live readers did support the idea of introducing speed cameras to the stretch, many blamed the people behind the wheel. Laura Marshall commented: "If you stick to the speed limit it’s absolutely fine, it’s the wombles that undertake, overtake and speed that are the problem."

Nadeem Khan, a reader of Derbyshire Live, said: "It's actually a really pleasant drive, the issue is drivers who have no road sense or judgement. It would be a shame to ruin one of the only remaining roads in Derby city centre which doesn't have traffic lights or speed cameras at every 200 yards."

Alan Walker said: "Everyone blaming the road. It's not the road that's the issue, it's the idiots that can't obey a speed limit that's the issue."

Jon Smith: "Time the government did something about the bad standard of British drivers rather than the council spending needless thousands of pounds on road improvements."

Liam Cattigan added: "Yep I drive on that road all the time never crashed as I keep too the speed limit I always see people undertaking and overtaking its the drivers not the road to blame."

Local resident and councillor Ajit Atwal told Derbyshire Live: "It's a massive problem and a real cause for concern."

"I don't think anyone has ever seen it this bad and it seems to have gotten increasingly worse since the lockdown was lifted. On fine days, there are families walking to the park and I really fear for them even on the pavement, as well as crossing the road.

"And where have the police mobile speed camera vans gone? They used to be a regular feature but we don't see them any more. It's a dire situation and only last week someone crashed into a tree and then legged it before the police could come.

"Some drivers have a complete disregard for anything. The boy-racers in particular drive too fast and cannot take the bend, losing control. Cameras of some kind are needed and action must be taken as a matter of urgency. We do not want any more people to die."

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/news/notorious-derby-road-only-dangerous-7003124?fbclid=IwAR3Rt8MOCJHRHC8P8WVY_p2S48lymeCilCEdxb8Qo2NDq-_qFE3ucx2oBMQ#comments-wrapper

Re: Notorious Derby road is only dangerous because of 'idiots that can't obey a speed limit'

<jd0nt5F1he4U4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9016&group=uk.rec.cycling#9016

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Notorious Derby road is only dangerous because of 'idiots that
can't obey a speed limit'
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2022 00:56:21 +0100
 by: JNugent - Thu, 28 Apr 2022 23:56 UTC

> Residents demanding action for a notoriously dangerous Derby road have been challenged by other locals claiming the road isn't dangerous, it is just the people speeding that make it accident prone. Warwick Avenue is somewhat of a crash blackspot, with a local councillor claiming the road sees at least an incident a week.
>
> This follows a recent incident which involved a car hitting a lamp post leaving three people injured, and one local suggesting speed cameras should be installed on the road. The 40mph section of the inner ring road has had at least four car related fatalities in the last 20 years, yet a lot of Derbyshire Live readers believe it is other drivers that are the real problem.
>
> Although some Derbyshire Live readers did support the idea of introducing speed cameras to the stretch, many blamed the people behind the wheel. Laura Marshall commented: "If you stick to the speed limit it’s absolutely fine, it’s the wombles that undertake, overtake and speed that are the problem."
>
> Nadeem Khan, a reader of Derbyshire Live, said: "It's actually a really pleasant drive, the issue is drivers who have no road sense or judgement. It would be a shame to ruin one of the only remaining roads in Derby city centre which doesn't have traffic lights or speed cameras at every 200 yards."
>
> Alan Walker said: "Everyone blaming the road. It's not the road that's the issue, it's the idiots that can't obey a speed limit that's the issue."
>
> Jon Smith: "Time the government did something about the bad standard of British drivers rather than the council spending needless thousands of pounds on road improvements."
>
> Liam Cattigan added: "Yep I drive on that road all the time never crashed as I keep too the speed limit I always see people undertaking and overtaking its the drivers not the road to blame."
>
> Local resident and councillor Ajit Atwal told Derbyshire Live: "It's a massive problem and a real cause for concern."
>
> "I don't think anyone has ever seen it this bad and it seems to have gotten increasingly worse since the lockdown was lifted. On fine days, there are families walking to the park and I really fear for them even on the pavement, as well as crossing the road.
>
> "And where have the police mobile speed camera vans gone? They used to be a regular feature but we don't see them any more. It's a dire situation and only last week someone crashed into a tree and then legged it before the police could come.
>
> "Some drivers have a complete disregard for anything. The boy-racers in particular drive too fast and cannot take the bend, losing control. Cameras of some kind are needed and action must be taken as a matter of urgency. We do not want any more people to die."
>
> https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/news/notorious-derby-road-only-dangerous-7003124?fbclid=IwAR3Rt8MOCJHRHC8P8WVY_p2S48lymeCilCEdxb8Qo2NDq-_qFE3ucx2oBMQ#comments-wrapper

Which one of those correspondents and commentators was riding the
fairy-cycle?

Re: Notorious Derby road is only dangerous because of 'idiots that can't obey a speed limit'

<5ff3ae19-9331-41e6-9219-76c24986767en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9024&group=uk.rec.cycling#9024

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2022 02:39:48 -0700 (PDT)
can't obey a speed limit'
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Fri, 29 Apr 2022 09:39 UTC

1 day ago

Perhaps the fact that speeding drivers keep on crashing on this section of road suggests that the speed limit should not be increased.

QUITE.