"One size fits all": Doesn't fit anyone.

aus+uk / aus.cars / Ping keith - Bruce Hwy Fixed Speeding Cam

SubjectAuthor
* Ping keith - Bruce Hwy Fixed Speeding Camalvey
`* Ping keith - Bruce Hwy Fixed Speeding Camkeithr0
 `* Ping keith - Bruce Hwy Fixed Speeding CamXeno
  `* Ping keith - Bruce Hwy Fixed Speeding Camkeithr0
   +- Ping keith - Bruce Hwy Fixed Speeding CamXeno
   `* Ping keith - Bruce Hwy Fixed Speeding Camalvey
    +- Ping keith - Bruce Hwy Fixed Speeding CamXeno
    `- Ping keith - Bruce Hwy Fixed Speeding Camkeithr0

1
Ping keith - Bruce Hwy Fixed Speeding Cam

<1be558e6jx9g5.162mkwjaqg7yl$.dlg@40tude.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9043&group=aus.cars#9043

From: alv...@is.invalid (alvey)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Subject: Ping keith - Bruce Hwy Fixed Speeding Cam
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2022 08:53:57 +1000
 by: alvey - Thu, 6 Jan 2022 22:53 UTC

I've often been told by locals that some of the pigeon house cameras on the
Bruce south of Caloundra are of the 'Point to Point' variety. Data from the
QPol site reveals that the number of offences under that heading over the
last five f/ys have totalled one. A clerical mistake almost certainly.
Furthermore, I'm of the opinion that they're actually empty, having gone
through several well above the limit over the last few years and am yet to
get anything nasty in the mail.

alvey

Re: Ping keith - Bruce Hwy Fixed Speeding Cam

<j3qpmeFae94U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9083&group=aus.cars#9083

From: use...@account.invalid (keithr0)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Subject: Re: Ping keith - Bruce Hwy Fixed Speeding Cam
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2022 22:23:38 +1000
 by: keithr0 - Fri, 7 Jan 2022 12:23 UTC

On 7/01/2022 8:53 am, alvey wrote:
> I've often been told by locals that some of the pigeon house cameras on the
> Bruce south of Caloundra are of the 'Point to Point' variety. Data from the
> QPol site reveals that the number of offences under that heading over the
> last five f/ys have totalled one.

The question is whether offenses caught by the speed cams would show up
on the police record, AFAIK the police have nothing to do with the fixed
speed cameras

> A clerical mistake almost certainly.
> Furthermore, I'm of the opinion that they're actually empty, having gone
> through several well above the limit over the last few years and am yet to
> get anything nasty in the mail.

Last time I drove up to Caloundra just before Xmas, the camera at the
northern end of the northbound lane was still in the process of being
installed. Going south, the end camera of the average speed system just
north of Pumistone road has been removed because of the road works.

So it's open slather, but watch out for the mobile units, they have all
sorts of vehicles these days. There is a spot just by the "Welcome to
the Sunshine Coast" sign where they particularly like to hang out, and,
of course, the fixed cameras at Wild Horse Mountain.

I am surprised how slowly most people drive up the Bruce, even keeping
more or less to the limit, I would overtake ten times as many as
overtake me.

Re: Ping keith - Bruce Hwy Fixed Speeding Cam

<j3qrhbFao0tU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9092&group=aus.cars#9092

From: xenol...@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2022 23:55:06 +1100
 by: Xeno - Fri, 7 Jan 2022 12:55 UTC

On 7/1/22 11:23 pm, keithr0 wrote:
> On 7/01/2022 8:53 am, alvey wrote:
>> I've often been told by locals that some of the pigeon house cameras
>> on the
>> Bruce south of Caloundra are of the 'Point to Point' variety. Data
>> from the
>> QPol site reveals that the number of offences under that heading over the
>> last five f/ys have totalled one.
>
> The question is whether offenses caught by the speed cams would show up
> on the police record, AFAIK the police have nothing to do with the fixed
> speed cameras

The management of the cameras, no, but the records, they go straight
into the person's file.

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: Ping keith - Bruce Hwy Fixed Speeding Cam

<j3s2d3Fhu8hU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9123&group=aus.cars#9123

From: use...@account.invalid (keithr0)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2022 09:58:27 +1000
 by: keithr0 - Fri, 7 Jan 2022 23:58 UTC

On 7/01/2022 10:55 pm, Xeno wrote:
> On 7/1/22 11:23 pm, keithr0 wrote:
>> On 7/01/2022 8:53 am, alvey wrote:
>>> I've often been told by locals that some of the pigeon house cameras
>>> on the
>>> Bruce south of Caloundra are of the 'Point to Point' variety. Data
>>> from the
>>> QPol site reveals that the number of offences under that heading over
>>> the
>>> last five f/ys have totalled one.
>>
>> The question is whether offenses caught by the speed cams would show
>> up on the police record, AFAIK the police have nothing to do with the
>> fixed speed cameras
>
> The management of the cameras, no, but the records, they go straight
> into the person's file.

Of course they go to your file, but do they appear on the police statistics?

>>> A clerical mistake almost certainly.
>>> Furthermore, I'm of the opinion that they're actually empty, having gone
>>> through several well above the limit over the last few years and am
>>> yet to
>>> get anything nasty in the mail.
>>
>> Last time I drove up to Caloundra just before Xmas, the camera at the
>> northern end of the northbound lane was still in the process of being
>> installed. Going south, the end camera of the average speed system
>> just north of Pumistone road has been removed because of the road works.
>>
>> So it's open slather, but watch out for the mobile units, they have
>> all sorts of vehicles these days. There is a spot just by the "Welcome
>> to the Sunshine Coast" sign where they particularly like to hang out,
>> and, of course, the fixed cameras at Wild Horse Mountain.
>>
>> I am surprised how slowly most people drive up the Bruce, even keeping
>> more or less to the limit, I would overtake ten times as many as
>> overtake me.

Re: Ping keith - Bruce Hwy Fixed Speeding Cam

<j3s671FiksrU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9129&group=aus.cars#9129

From: xenol...@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2022 12:03:29 +1100
 by: Xeno - Sat, 8 Jan 2022 01:03 UTC

On 8/1/22 10:58 am, keithr0 wrote:
> On 7/01/2022 10:55 pm, Xeno wrote:
>>>
>>> The question is whether offenses caught by the speed cams would show
>>> up on the police record, AFAIK the police have nothing to do with the
>>> fixed speed cameras
>>
>> The management of the cameras, no, but the records, they go straight
>> into the person's file.
>
> Of course they go to your file, but do they appear on the police
> statistics?

If you lost points, of course it will appear in police statistics.

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: Ping keith - Bruce Hwy Fixed Speeding Cam

<18ma826h3tsxs$.1s3hd391dwv3l.dlg@40tude.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9134&group=aus.cars#9134

From: alv...@is.invalid (alvey)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2022 11:49:11 +1000
 by: alvey - Sat, 8 Jan 2022 01:49 UTC

On Sat, 8 Jan 2022 09:58:27 +1000, keithr0 wrote:

> On 7/01/2022 10:55 pm, Xeno wrote:
>>>
>>> The question is whether offenses caught by the speed cams would show
>>> up on the police record, AFAIK the police have nothing to do with the
>>> fixed speed cameras
>>
>> The management of the cameras, no, but the records, they go straight
>> into the person's file.
>
> Of course they go to your file, but do they appear on the police statistics?

Why wouldn't they?
For a whole mess of reasons, budgetary, cost-efficiency, planning etc,
'police' is the most logical bucket. *Also*, who else has the legal power
to issue offence notices?

alvey

Re: Ping keith - Bruce Hwy Fixed Speeding Cam

<j3s9p3Fj9cmU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9137&group=aus.cars#9137

From: xenol...@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2022 13:04:15 +1100
 by: Xeno - Sat, 8 Jan 2022 02:04 UTC

On 8/1/22 12:49 pm, alvey wrote:
> On Sat, 8 Jan 2022 09:58:27 +1000, keithr0 wrote:

>>> The management of the cameras, no, but the records, they go straight
>>> into the person's file.
>>
>> Of course they go to your file, but do they appear on the police statistics?
>
> Why wouldn't they?
> For a whole mess of reasons, budgetary, cost-efficiency, planning etc,
> 'police' is the most logical bucket. *Also*, who else has the legal power
> to issue offence notices?
>

> alvey

In Victoria, the police have full oversight on speed cameras. This
ranges from selection of locations right through to reviewing of offences.

https://www.camerassavelives.vic.gov.au/how-cameras-work/camera-types/mobile-cameras

https://www.camerassavelives.vic.gov.au/how-cameras-work/camera-accuracy/speed-verification

In Victoria, the Road Safety Camera Commissioner does not have the power
to review or withdraw a traffic fine. Victoria Police is the only
authority with the power to review traffic fines.

I see no reason why the same wouldn't apply in Queensland since the
police have the remit to police road traffic in Qld.

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: Ping keith - Bruce Hwy Fixed Speeding Cam

<j3sd0dFjr4bU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9147&group=aus.cars#9147

From: use...@account.invalid (keithr0)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2022 12:59:23 +1000
 by: keithr0 - Sat, 8 Jan 2022 02:59 UTC

On 8/01/2022 11:49 am, alvey wrote:
> On Sat, 8 Jan 2022 09:58:27 +1000, keithr0 wrote:

>>> The management of the cameras, no, but the records, they go straight
>>> into the person's file.
>>
>> Of course they go to your file, but do they appear on the police statistics?
>
> Why wouldn't they?

Because the cameras are run by the TMR not the police, there was an
announcement in the paper today about the seat belt/phone cameras, it
was made by the TMR minister not the police minister.

> For a whole mess of reasons, budgetary, cost-efficiency, planning etc,
> 'police' is the most logical bucket. *Also*, who else has the legal power
> to issue offence notices?

The TMR.