The unrecognized minister of propaganda, E -- seen in an email from Ean Schuessler

aus+uk / uk.rec.sheds / arj stamps

SubjectAuthor
* arj stampsTease'n'Seize
`* arj stampsJohn Williamson
 +- arj stampsTease'n'Seize
 +- arj stampsTease'n'Seize
 `* arj stampsmaus
  +* arj stampsJohn Williamson
  |+* arj stampsTone
  ||+- arj stampsmaus
  ||`* arj stampsJohn Williamson
  || `* arj stampsAhem A Rivet's Shot
  ||  `- arj stampsJohn Williamson
  |`* arj stampsTone
  | `- arj stampsJohn Williamson
  `- arj stampsMike Fleming

1
arj stamps

<37GdnSog0bYjJsv_nZ2dnUU7-S3NnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9124&group=uk.rec.sheds#9124

Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2022 13:02:05 +0100
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: tease-an...@invalid (Tease'n'Seize)
Subject: arj stamps
 by: Tease'n'Se - Wed, 13 Apr 2022 12:02 UTC

These new barcode stamps are /huge/ aren't they?

The normal 1st/2nd class are biggerer than the old 1st class large letter

I has rounded up all my old ones and sent them off to be traded-in.

Re: arj stamps

<jbntgpF5ogtU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9125&group=uk.rec.sheds#9125

From: johnwill...@btinternet.com (John Williamson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Subject: Re: arj stamps
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2022 13:20:38 +0100
 by: John Williamson - Wed, 13 Apr 2022 12:20 UTC

On 13/04/2022 13:02, Tease'n'Seize wrote:
> These new barcode stamps are /huge/ aren't they?
>
> The normal 1st/2nd class are biggerer than the old 1st class large letter
>
> I has rounded up all my old ones and sent them off to be traded-in.

I have just ohled most of this year's stamp supply in a siop, and they
were the old type. They will still be valid at Xmyth for the crads.

let's see, that's four burpday crads and half a dozen Xmyth crads plus
whatever I need to send to the solicitator about the purchase of the flat.

I was vexed a few weeks back when I had to actually post my car and bus
aiming permit to DVLA as the address I used to live at was not on the PO
database. (I still live on the same boat, but it "accidentally" moved
150 miles a while ago, and now the postie can't find it.)

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Re: arj stamps

<_I-dna2l7OrfVMv_nZ2dnUU7-V3NnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9127&group=uk.rec.sheds#9127

Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2022 13:59:44 +0100
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: tease-an...@invalid (Tease'n'Seize)
 by: Tease'n'Se - Wed, 13 Apr 2022 12:59 UTC

John Williamson wrote:

> the old type. They will still be valid at Xmyth

I have quite a collection of 1p/19p/20p of the lickable variety, wot I haven't
used any of for years, so I doubt I'll use them before January neither.

No doubt they'll round 'em up into the smallest number of zbarly class

Re: arj stamps

<AMWdndJD0dPGRsv_nZ2dnUU7-N_NnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9130&group=uk.rec.sheds#9130

Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2022 15:16:57 +0100
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: tease-an...@invalid (Tease'n'Seize)
 by: Tease'n'Se - Wed, 13 Apr 2022 14:16 UTC

John Williamson wrote:

> I have just ohled most of this year's stamp supply in a siop

Just noticed the new book are "notched" so the blind can tell them apart, one
notch for 1st class, two notches for 2nd class and a large notch for large 1st
class (presumably two large notches for large 2nd class, but I ain't bought any
of them).

Re: arj stamps

<slrnt5dodg.2vf.maus@dmaus.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9136&group=uk.rec.sheds#9136

From: mau...@dmaus.org (maus)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: 13 Apr 2022 14:44:00 GMT
 by: maus - Wed, 13 Apr 2022 14:44 UTC

On 2022-04-13, John Williamson <johnwilliamson@btinternet.com> wrote:
> On 13/04/2022 13:02, Tease'n'Seize wrote:
>> These new barcode stamps are /huge/ aren't they?
>>
>> The normal 1st/2nd class are biggerer than the old 1st class large letter
>>
>> I has rounded up all my old ones and sent them off to be traded-in.
>>
> I have just ohled most of this year's stamp supply in a siop, and they
> were the old type. They will still be valid at Xmyth for the crads.
>
> let's see, that's four burpday crads and half a dozen Xmyth crads plus
> whatever I need to send to the solicitator about the purchase of the flat.
>
> I was vexed a few weeks back when I had to actually post my car and bus
> aiming permit to DVLA as the address I used to live at was not on the PO
> database. (I still live on the same boat, but it "accidentally" moved
> 150 miles a while ago, and now the postie can't find it.)

Simple. Get someone you trust, and receive and post mail through them.

That's how Irish Gypsies manage.

--
greymausg@mail.com
General "Buck" Turgidson; `ten to twenty million killed, tops.'

Re: arj stamps

<jbo6nkF7gqfU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9139&group=uk.rec.sheds#9139

From: johnwill...@btinternet.com (John Williamson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2022 15:57:54 +0100
 by: John Williamson - Wed, 13 Apr 2022 14:57 UTC

On 13/04/2022 15:44, maus wrote:

> Simple. Get someone you trust, and receive and post mail through them.

The boat was on a residential mooring, which legally works the same way
as renting a house or flat, and the licence was registered there while I
was moored there. I then moved the boat and successfully changed the
address on the licence to an accountant who deals with my snail mail
reception. I now need to change the address again, and as the system
could not find the residential mooring address from 18 months ago, so
could not confirm all my addresses for the past 3 years, it would not
let me do the change on line, so I had to use a slice of dead tree to do
the job. They posted the slice of tree to my new address with no
questions asked.

The new licence actually arrived at the new address this morning, about
a month after all this happened. I will now also change the address on
the paperwork for the Lard Roller, but as I have a V5 with a magic
number on it, I can do that on line.

> That's how Irish Gypsies manage.

I have done similar in the past, when I was living in a caravan at jbex.
I have had both family help and a series of very helpful bosses.

I've not spent much time living in bricks and mortar.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Re: arj stamps

<t37268$84q$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9160&group=uk.rec.sheds#9160

From: ton...@email.com (Tone)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2022 18:44:39 +0100
 by: Tone - Wed, 13 Apr 2022 17:44 UTC

On 13/04/2022 15:57, John Williamson wrote:
> On 13/04/2022 15:44, maus wrote:
>
>> Simple. Get someone you trust, and receive and post mail through them.
>>
> The boat was on a residential mooring, which legally works the same way
> as renting a house or flat, and the licence was registered there while I
> was moored there. I then moved the boat and successfully changed the
> address on the licence to an accountant who deals with my snail mail
> reception. I now need to change the address again, and as the system
> could not find the residential mooring address from 18 months ago, so
> could not confirm all my addresses for the past 3 years, it would not
> let me do the change on line, so I had to use a slice of dead tree to do
> the job. They posted the slice of tree to my new address with no
> questions asked.
>
> The new licence actually arrived at the new address this morning, about
> a month after all this happened. I will now also change the address on
> the paperwork for the Lard Roller, but as I have a V5 with a magic
> number on it, I can do that on line.
>
>> That's how Irish Gypsies manage.
>>
> I have done similar in the past, when I was living in a caravan at jbex.
> I have had both family help and a series of very helpful bosses.
>
> I've not spent much time living in bricks and mortar.

I once made the mistake of using my elderly mother's address. But they
halved the winter heating allowance for both of us because ther said we
were living under the same roof.

Tone

Re: arj stamps

<slrnt5e7nq.67d.maus@dmaus.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9164&group=uk.rec.sheds#9164

From: mau...@dmaus.org (maus)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: 13 Apr 2022 19:05:30 GMT
 by: maus - Wed, 13 Apr 2022 19:05 UTC

On 2022-04-13, Tone <tone@email.com> wrote:
> On 13/04/2022 15:57, John Williamson wrote:
>> On 13/04/2022 15:44, maus wrote:
>>

> I once made the mistake of using my elderly mother's address. But they
> halved the winter heating allowance for both of us because ther said we
> were living under the same roof.
>
> Tone

Happens, and is to be avoided. My daughters were always changing flats,
and getting mail through home address. It confused nosey parkers and
divorcing husbands. Year ago now.

--
greymausg@mail.com
General "Buck" Turgidson; `ten to twenty million killed, tops.'

Re: arj stamps

<jbp46jFd0cpU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9177&group=uk.rec.sheds#9177

From: mik...@tauzero.co.uk (Mike Fleming)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2022 00:20:50 +0100
 by: Mike Fleming - Wed, 13 Apr 2022 23:20 UTC

On 13/04/2022 15:44, maus wrote:
> On 2022-04-13, John Williamson <johnwilliamson@btinternet.com> wrote:
>>
>> I was vexed a few weeks back when I had to actually post my car and bus
>> aiming permit to DVLA as the address I used to live at was not on the PO
>> database. (I still live on the same boat, but it "accidentally" moved
>> 150 miles a while ago, and now the postie can't find it.)
>
> Simple. Get someone you trust, and receive and post mail through them.
>
> That's how Irish Gypsies manage.

Do you have to pay for the stamps by flogging stolen lawnmowers?

Re: arj stamps

<jbq2suFigo6U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9187&group=uk.rec.sheds#9187

From: johnwill...@btinternet.com (John Williamson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2022 09:04:45 +0100
 by: John Williamson - Thu, 14 Apr 2022 08:04 UTC

On 13/04/2022 18:44, Tone wrote:
> On 13/04/2022 15:57, John Williamson wrote:
>> I've not spent much time living in bricks and mortar.

> I once made the mistake of using my elderly mother's address. But they
> halved the winter heating allowance for both of us because ther said we
> were living under the same roof.

That is why I wouldn't use my Mum's address without paying her what she
had lost. In my case, though, when the family were accepting mail for
me, there were 5 of them in the house and me on the boat. It turned out
that our local pub was happy to set up a load of mailboxes for us
liveaboard boaters (In the 1970s, and none of us had residentuial
moorings), as long as we kept drinking in there. It did, though, cause
some fun when I gave the pub address to the traffic commissioner when I
wanted a PSV licence. I still got one, though. <Grin>

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Re: arj stamps

<20220414094633.72b864f98c7bf4525b4c20d1@eircom.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9191&group=uk.rec.sheds#9191

From: ste...@eircom.net (Ahem A Rivet's Shot)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2022 09:46:33 +0100
 by: Ahem A Rivet's - Thu, 14 Apr 2022 08:46 UTC

On Thu, 14 Apr 2022 09:04:45 +0100
John Williamson <johnwilliamson@btinternet.com> wrote:

> That is why I wouldn't use my Mum's address without paying her what she
> had lost. In my case, though, when the family were accepting mail for
> me, there were 5 of them in the house and me on the boat. It turned out
> that our local pub was happy to set up a load of mailboxes for us
> liveaboard boaters (In the 1970s, and none of us had residentuial

I used to use an outfit called Boatmail for a fixed UK address
while I was in the Netherlands via a UK agency and needing a UK bank who
wanted a UK residential address.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/

Re: arj stamps

<jbq6b7Fj5fdU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9194&group=uk.rec.sheds#9194

From: johnwill...@btinternet.com (John Williamson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2022 10:03:33 +0100
 by: John Williamson - Thu, 14 Apr 2022 09:03 UTC

On 14/04/2022 09:46, Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Apr 2022 09:04:45 +0100
> John Williamson <johnwilliamson@btinternet.com> wrote:
>
>> That is why I wouldn't use my Mum's address without paying her what she
>> had lost. In my case, though, when the family were accepting mail for
>> me, there were 5 of them in the house and me on the boat. It turned out
>> that our local pub was happy to set up a load of mailboxes for us
>> liveaboard boaters (In the 1970s, and none of us had residentuial
>
> I used to use an outfit called Boatmail for a fixed UK address
> while I was in the Netherlands via a UK agency and needing a UK bank who
> wanted a UK residential address.

They still exist and offer the same services. When I was first on board,
they hadn't been invented yet.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Re: arj stamps

<t5bkde$h60$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10356&group=uk.rec.sheds#10356

From: ema...@address.com (Tone)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Mon, 9 May 2022 18:52:44 +0100
 by: Tone - Mon, 9 May 2022 17:52 UTC

On 13/04/2022 15:57, John Williamson wrote:
> I've not spent much time living in bricks and mortar.

'Surrounded by', shirley? 'In' would be rather restrictive.

Tone (From a caravan site somewhere in, um, West Yorkshire I think.)

Re: arj stamps

<jdt3g9FecjqU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10357&group=uk.rec.sheds#10357

From: johnwill...@btinternet.com (John Williamson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Mon, 9 May 2022 19:05:59 +0100
 by: John Williamson - Mon, 9 May 2022 18:05 UTC

On 09/05/2022 18:52, Tone wrote:
> On 13/04/2022 15:57, John Williamson wrote:
>> I've not spent much time living in bricks and mortar.
>
> 'Surrounded by', shirley? 'In' would be rather restrictive.

Hemmed in is the way I feel when I am "in bricks" as the boatmen used to
say.

> Tone (From a caravan site somewhere in, um, West Yorkshire I think.)

Freedom happens. :-)

--
Tciao for Now!

John.