All the troubles you have will pass away very quickly.

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Woodburner soot

SubjectAuthor
* Woodburner sootTim+
+* Re: Woodburner sootalan_m
|`* Re: Woodburner sootwasbit
| +* Re: Woodburner sootAndy Burns
| |+- Re: Woodburner sootThe Natural Philosopher
| |`* Re: Woodburner sootTim Lamb
| | `- Re: Woodburner sootJonathan Ward
| `- Re: Woodburner sootNick Odell
+- Re: Woodburner sootBrian Gaff
`* Re: Woodburner sootVir Campestris
 `- Re: Woodburner sootTim Lamb

1
Woodburner soot

<1168307823.700258146.936282.tim.downie-gmail.com@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=91479&group=uk.d-i-y#91479

From: tim.dow...@gmail.com (Tim+)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Woodburner soot
Date: 11 Mar 2023 20:11:47 GMT
 by: Tim+ - Sat, 11 Mar 2023 20:11 UTC

Does the nature of the soot tell you anything about the quality of your
fuel or combustion?

I swept my chimney the other day and the soot wasn’t fine black dust but
rather coarser gritty brownish stuff. Is this good or bad?

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Re: Woodburner soot

<k746biFebb5U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=91480&group=uk.d-i-y#91480

From: jun...@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Woodburner soot
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2023 20:24:18 +0000
 by: alan_m - Sat, 11 Mar 2023 20:24 UTC

On 11/03/2023 20:11, Tim+ wrote:

> Does the nature of the soot tell you anything about the quality of your
> fuel or combustion?

Yes, dry hard wood burns hotter, wetter wood burns cooler and results in
more soot. A hot fire will burn off the tar products more efficiently.
Different woods can also burn at different temperatures
Burning scrap wood that may have been treated or painted releases more
shit up the flue that can stick to the sides.

Re: Woodburner soot

<tukonp$33rrb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=91543&group=uk.d-i-y#91543

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2023 14:48:25 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Sun, 12 Mar 2023 14:48 UTC

The point is, that if you could get to zero soot then its very clean. Back
in the old days of chimneys and sweeps. If you burned wood often there was a
brown kind of sticky stuff left. If you burned nutty slack coal, it was
black but glued up a lot, as it had more sulphur in it. I've never had a
wood burner myself, but some people say that a resin residue occurs if you
burn old fir type tree wood, and has has been said elsewhere, you can get a
lot of smoke from damp or treated wood.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"Tim+" <tim.downie@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Does the nature of the soot tell you anything about the quality of your
> fuel or combustion?
>
> I swept my chimney the other day and the soot wasn't fine black dust but
> rather coarser gritty brownish stuff. Is this good or bad?
>
> Tim
>
> --
> Please don't feed the trolls

Re: Woodburner soot

<tul6sc$36aeo$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=91601&group=uk.d-i-y#91601

From: was...@nowhere.com (wasbit)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2023 18:49:50 +0000
 by: wasbit - Sun, 12 Mar 2023 18:49 UTC

On 11/03/2023 20:24, alan_m wrote:
> On 11/03/2023 20:11, Tim+ wrote:
>>
>> Does the nature of the soot tell you anything about the quality of your
>> fuel or combustion?
>
> Yes, dry hard wood burns hotter, wetter wood burns cooler and results in
> more soot. A hot fire will burn off the tar products more efficiently.
> Different woods can also burn at different temperatures
> Burning scrap wood that may have been treated or painted releases more
> shit up the flue that can stick to the sides.

Sorry, don't see the OP.

Beechwood fires are bright and clear If the logs are kept a year,
Chestnut’s only good they say, If for logs ’tis laid away.
Make a fire of Elder tree, Death within your house will be;
But ash new or ash old, Is fit for a queen with crown of gold.
Birch and fir logs burn too fast Blaze up bright and do not last,
it is by the Irish said Hawthorn bakes the sweetest bread.
Elm wood burns like churchyard mould, E’en the very flames are c old
But ash green or ash brown Is fit for a queen with golden crown
Poplar gives a bitter smoke, Fills your eyes and makes you choke,
Apple wood will scent your room
Pear wood smells like flowers in bloom
Oaken logs, if dry and old keep away the winter’s cold
But ash wet or ash dry a king shall warm his slippers by.

--
Regards
wasbit

Re: Woodburner soot

<k78k82F4nv6U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=91715&group=uk.d-i-y#91715

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2023 12:45:55 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Mon, 13 Mar 2023 12:45 UTC

wasbit wrote:

> Beechwood fires are bright and clear If the logs are kept a year,
> Chestnut’s only good they say, If for logs ’tis laid away.
> Make a fire of Elder tree, Death within your house will be;
> But ash new or ash old, Is fit for a queen with crown of gold.
> Birch and fir logs burn too fast Blaze up bright and do not last,
> it is by the Irish said Hawthorn bakes the sweetest bread.
> Elm wood burns like churchyard mould, E’en the very flames are c old
> But ash green or ash brown Is fit for a queen with golden crown
> Poplar gives a bitter smoke, Fills your eyes and makes you choke,
> Apple wood will scent your room
> Pear wood smells like flowers in bloom
> Oaken logs, if dry and old keep away the winter’s cold
> But ash wet or ash dry a king shall warm his slippers by.

But what about Willow?

Re: Woodburner soot

<tunat6$3pm5o$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=91735&group=uk.d-i-y#91735

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2023 14:10:46 +0000
 by: The Natural Philosop - Mon, 13 Mar 2023 14:10 UTC

On 13/03/2023 12:45, Andy Burns wrote:
> wasbit wrote:
>
>> Beechwood fires are bright and clear If the logs are kept a year,
>> Chestnut’s only good they say, If for logs ’tis laid away.
>> Make a fire of Elder tree, Death within your house will be;
>> But ash new or ash old, Is fit for a queen with crown of gold.
>> Birch and fir logs burn too fast Blaze up bright and do not last,
>> it is by the Irish said Hawthorn bakes the sweetest bread.
>> Elm wood burns like churchyard mould, E’en the very flames are c old
>> But ash green or ash brown Is fit for a queen with golden crown
>> Poplar gives a bitter smoke, Fills your eyes and makes you choke,
>> Apple wood will scent your room
>> Pear wood smells like flowers in bloom
>> Oaken logs, if dry and old keep away the winter’s cold
>> But ash wet or ash dry a king shall warm his slippers by.
>
> But what about Willow?

Willow wood takes years to dry,
Burns your eyes and makes you cry

its shoes.

Re: Woodburner soot

<3Uz2V7TDjyDkFw0+@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=91790&group=uk.d-i-y#91790

From: tim...@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk (Tim Lamb)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2023 13:44:35 +0000
 by: Tim Lamb - Mon, 13 Mar 2023 13:44 UTC

In message <k78k82F4nv6U1@mid.individual.net>, Andy Burns
<usenet@andyburns.uk> writes
>wasbit wrote:
>
>> Beechwood fires are bright and clear If the logs are kept a year,
>> Chestnut’s only good they say, If for logs ’tis laid away.
>> Make a fire of Elder tree, Death within your house will be;
>> But ash new or ash old, Is fit for a queen with crown of gold.
>> Birch and fir logs burn too fast Blaze up bright and do not last,
>> it is by the Irish said Hawthorn bakes the sweetest bread.
>> Elm wood burns like churchyard mould, E’en the very flames are c old
>> But ash green or ash brown Is fit for a queen with golden crown
>> Poplar gives a bitter smoke, Fills your eyes and makes you choke,
>> Apple wood will scent your room
>> Pear wood smells like flowers in bloom
>> Oaken logs, if dry and old keep away the winter’s cold
>> But ash wet or ash dry a king shall warm his slippers by.
>
>But what about Willow?

Not safe on an open fire. Inclined to explosive splitting.

--
Tim Lamb

Re: Woodburner soot

<24274b27-0083-4f0b-a190-f23bef0d3f2bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=91890&group=uk.d-i-y#91890

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2023 07:53:16 -0700 (PDT)
From: ward...@gmail.com (Jonathan Ward)
 by: Jonathan Ward - Tue, 14 Mar 2023 14:53 UTC

On Monday, 13 March 2023 at 18:57:33 UTC, Tim Lamb wrote:
> In message <k78k82...@mid.individual.net>, Andy Burns
> <use...@andyburns.uk> writes
> >wasbit wrote:
> >
> >> Beechwood fires are bright and clear If the logs are kept a year,
> >> Chestnut’s only good they say, If for logs ’tis laid away.
> >> Make a fire of Elder tree, Death within your house will be;
> >> But ash new or ash old, Is fit for a queen with crown of gold.
> >> Birch and fir logs burn too fast Blaze up bright and do not last,
> >> it is by the Irish said Hawthorn bakes the sweetest bread.
> >> Elm wood burns like churchyard mould, E’en the very flames are c old
> >> But ash green or ash brown Is fit for a queen with golden crown
> >> Poplar gives a bitter smoke, Fills your eyes and makes you choke,
> >> Apple wood will scent your room
> >> Pear wood smells like flowers in bloom
> >> Oaken logs, if dry and old keep away the winter’s cold
> >> But ash wet or ash dry a king shall warm his slippers by.
> >
> >But what about Willow?
> Not safe on an open fire. Inclined to explosive splitting.
> >

> --
> Tim Lamb
Not if it's two years old and dried outside.

Re: Woodburner soot

<gjl31ipt3b6vcl47dsg5es2b31h4gpdlfq@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=92046&group=uk.d-i-y#92046

From: nic...@themusicworkshop.plus.com (Nick Odell)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2023 14:54:35 +0000
 by: Nick Odell - Wed, 15 Mar 2023 14:54 UTC

On Sun, 12 Mar 2023 18:49:50 +0000, wasbit <wasbit@nowhere.com> wrote:

>On 11/03/2023 20:24, alan_m wrote:
>> On 11/03/2023 20:11, Tim+ wrote:
>>>
>>> Does the nature of the soot tell you anything about the quality of your
>>> fuel or combustion?
>>
>> Yes, dry hard wood burns hotter, wetter wood burns cooler and results in
>> more soot. A hot fire will burn off the tar products more efficiently.
>> Different woods can also burn at different temperatures
>> Burning scrap wood that may have been treated or painted releases more
>> shit up the flue that can stick to the sides.
>>

>Sorry, don't see the OP.
>
>Beechwood fires are bright and clear If the logs are kept a year,
>Chestnut’s only good they say, If for logs ’tis laid away.
>Make a fire of Elder tree, Death within your house will be;
>But ash new or ash old, Is fit for a queen with crown of gold.
>Birch and fir logs burn too fast Blaze up bright and do not last,
>it is by the Irish said Hawthorn bakes the sweetest bread.
>Elm wood burns like churchyard mould, E’en the very flames are c old
>But ash green or ash brown Is fit for a queen with golden crown
>Poplar gives a bitter smoke, Fills your eyes and makes you choke,
>Apple wood will scent your room
>Pear wood smells like flowers in bloom
>Oaken logs, if dry and old keep away the winter’s cold
>But ash wet or ash dry a king shall warm his slippers by.

(Nice!)

I'm burning Apple, Rosemary and Bay - purely because I have all three
available in my own garden. The Rosemary is just a one-off uprooting
and the strands are twisted together to form a "trunk" about 5" dia
but the other two are regular prunings and loppings. I air dry all the
logs for at least a year before burning but the Rosemary - and
especially the Bay - seem to burn fiercely because of their natural
oils.

Nick

Re: Woodburner soot

<tuv0de$1d7kf$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=92187&group=uk.d-i-y#92187

From: vir.camp...@invalid.invalid (Vir Campestris)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2023 12:00:46 +0000
 by: Vir Campestris - Thu, 16 Mar 2023 12:00 UTC

On 11/03/2023 20:11, Tim+ wrote:

> Does the nature of the soot tell you anything about the quality of your
> fuel or combustion?
>
> I swept my chimney the other day and the soot wasn’t fine black dust but
> rather coarser gritty brownish stuff. Is this good or bad?

I take care to burn well dried wood. There's **** all soot up there - in
fact the only real reason for having it swept it to keep the insurance
company happy about having a woodburner and a thatched roof.

Any

Re: Woodburner soot

<NWXYVSEPj1EkFw6Z@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=92234&group=uk.d-i-y#92234

From: tim...@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk (Tim Lamb)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2023 17:58:39 +0000
 by: Tim Lamb - Thu, 16 Mar 2023 17:58 UTC

In message <tuv0de$1d7kf$2@dont-email.me>, Vir Campestris
<vir.campestris@invalid.invalid> writes
>On 11/03/2023 20:11, Tim+ wrote:
>> Does the nature of the soot tell you anything about the quality of
>>your
>> fuel or combustion?
>> I swept my chimney the other day and the soot wasn’t fine black
>>dust but
>> rather coarser gritty brownish stuff. Is this good or bad?
>>
>I take care to burn well dried wood. There's **** all soot up there -
>in fact the only real reason for having it swept it to keep the
>insurance company happy about having a woodburner and a thatched roof.

Our enclosed *clear view* log burner produced white/grey puffy stuff on
the sides of a 7" insulated flu. Ten years Winter use with no sweeping.
About 4mm thick.
Mostly dry Oak but some Birch and other softwood.

--
Tim Lamb