Optimism is the content of small men in high places. -- F. Scott Fitzgerald, "The Crack Up"

aus+uk / uk.rec.sheds / Tooth Faries

SubjectAuthor
* Tooth FariesTone
+* Tooth FariesTease'n'Seize
|+* Tooth FariesMike Fleming
||+- Tooth FariesDon Stockbauer
||`* Tooth FariesDennis Davis
|| `- Tooth FariesNicholas D. Richards
|`* Tooth FariesTone
| `* Tooth FariesKerr-Mudd, John
|  `- Tooth FariesTone
`- Tooth FariesPeter

1
Tooth Faries

<t36tou$2tm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9151&group=uk.rec.sheds#9151

From: ton...@email.com (Tone)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Subject: Tooth Faries
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2022 17:29:17 +0100
 by: Tone - Wed, 13 Apr 2022 16:29 UTC

Bloody hell! I have a NHS dentist. I am in accute pain. Haven't seen a
dentist for three years due to covid.

Got an appointment today. It took two months! Originally it was for
last week but it was cancelled by them.

They did their checks and X-rays. Agreed a back upper tooth should come
out (it's painful and loose). Given an appointment for the extraction on
30th April!

I pointed out that I am in extreme pain.

Okay, we'll book you in over other bookings next Wednesday, but can't
guarantee you'll be attended to!

Phoned a private practice. Appointment tomorrow for checks.

If urgent may do the extraction immediately!

Okay it'll cost more, but not that much more.

What do you actually save by being a NHS dental client?

Not much apparently.

https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/dentists/article/private-and-nhs-dental-charges-al0jA6J1Swyl

Tone

Re: Tooth Faries

<K6qdnSPeK-O-Ycv_nZ2dnUU7-VfNnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9153&group=uk.rec.sheds#9153

Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2022 17:36:49 +0100
Subject: Re: Tooth Faries
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: tease-an...@invalid (Tease'n'Seize)
 by: Tease'n'Se - Wed, 13 Apr 2022 16:36 UTC

Tone wrote:

> What do you actually save by being a NHS dental client?
> Not much apparently.

With the NHS, you get as many fillings as you need for a fixed rate 65zu,
for private mine's more than double that per filling.

Re: Tooth Faries

<XnsAE78B45D0CC59Factura3476@144.76.35.252>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9154&group=uk.rec.sheds#9154

From: mys...@prune.org.uk (Peter)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2022 16:43:48 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Peter - Wed, 13 Apr 2022 16:43 UTC

Tone <tone@email.com> wrote in news:t36tou$2tm$1@dont-email.me:

> What do you actually save by being a NHS dental client?
>
> Not much apparently.
>
> https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/dentists/article/private-and-nhs-dental
> -charges-al0jA6J1Swyl

My tooth-wrangler will do basic check-ups on the NHS, anything else has to
be private. Last mumf I had an old filling drilled out, the decay
underneath sorted and a new filling put in. 175zu ('ow much?).

Excavated sheep I felt no discomfort - he even numbed my gums with a swab
before injecting the local so I didn't feel the needle going in - and he
spent a lot of time getting the bite (not byte) just right. It *feels* like
a good job.

--
Peter
-----

Re: Tooth Faries

<jbp6r0FdgboU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9179&group=uk.rec.sheds#9179

From: mik...@tauzero.co.uk (Mike Fleming)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2022 01:05:46 +0100
 by: Mike Fleming - Thu, 14 Apr 2022 00:05 UTC

On 13/04/2022 17:36, Tease'n'Seize wrote:
> Tone wrote:
>
>> What do you actually save by being a NHS dental client?
>> Not much apparently.
>
> With the NHS, you get as many fillings as you need for a fixed rate 65zu,
> for private mine's more than double that per filling.

I've had two root canals done. One was done by my dad so was SFP, the
other was done privately as it was on upper right 7 which also had a cap
on it and my NHS dentist didn't want to do it, cost me about 600ZU I
think and involved having a sort of frame in my mouth to keep it open
for two hours. Now I know how those sex dolls feel.

Incidentally, the infection that caused that root canal returned about
four years later at my last checkup. Dentist prescribed antibiotics and
it cleared up. Returned ten days before the next (most recent) checkup,
and dentist said it's extract or redo the root canal. I opted for the
latter, and just before the letter came through to tell me to get in
touch for an appointment, it started to clear up. It has now got
betterer on its own, so I think the idea of shelling out close to 1kZU
acted as a placebo.

Anyroadup, yes, treatment is similar at the lower levels, but there's
things like fillings being charged per filling rather than en bloc.
Choice of materials for crowns is restricted for 280ZU when you can get
a more cosmetically friendly one for 400ZU privately.

There is also the issue that dentists aren't doing very well out of NHS
contracts, and so less and less are doing NHS work. Unfortunately my dad
isn't around any more to ask about the situation, but John Major started
the long slide with his NHS dental reforms three decades or so ago.

Re: Tooth Faries

<c628f60e-6579-48b8-bbed-260cbdf348bbn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9184&group=uk.rec.sheds#9184

Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2022 21:03:40 -0700 (PDT)
From: donstock...@hotmail.com (Don Stockbauer)
 by: Don Stockbauer - Thu, 14 Apr 2022 04:03 UTC

On Wednesday, April 13, 2022 at 7:05:54 PM UTC-5, Mike Fleming wrote:
> On 13/04/2022 17:36, Tease'n'Seize wrote:
> > Tone wrote:
> >
> >> What do you actually save by being a NHS dental client?
> >> Not much apparently.
> >
> > With the NHS, you get as many fillings as you need for a fixed rate 65zu,
> > for private mine's more than double that per filling.
> I've had two root canals done. One was done by my dad so was SFP, the
> other was done privately as it was on upper right 7 which also had a cap
> on it and my NHS dentist didn't want to do it, cost me about 600ZU I
> think and involved having a sort of frame in my mouth to keep it open
> for two hours. Now I know how those sex dolls feel.
>
> Incidentally, the infection that caused that root canal returned about
> four years later at my last checkup. Dentist prescribed antibiotics and
> it cleared up. Returned ten days before the next (most recent) checkup,
> and dentist said it's extract or redo the root canal. I opted for the
> latter, and just before the letter came through to tell me to get in
> touch for an appointment, it started to clear up. It has now got
> betterer on its own, so I think the idea of shelling out close to 1kZU
> acted as a placebo.
>
> Anyroadup, yes, treatment is similar at the lower levels, but there's
> things like fillings being charged per filling rather than en bloc.
> Choice of materials for crowns is restricted for 280ZU when you can get
> a more cosmetically friendly one for 400ZU privately.
>
> There is also the issue that dentists aren't doing very well out of NHS
> contracts, and so less and less are doing NHS work. Unfortunately my dad
> isn't around any more to ask about the situation, but John Major started
> the long slide with his NHS dental reforms three decades or so ago.

I had a wisdom tooth taken out about a week ago the socket where it was still hurts I only had two wisdom teeth form the two on the bottom now they both have been extracted there's some people around that will make very unkind comments about someone that only has two wisdom tooth

Re: Tooth Faries

<t38fff$1aor$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9185&group=uk.rec.sheds#9185

From: dennisda...@fastmail.fm (Dennis Davis)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2022 06:37:35 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dennis Davis - Thu, 14 Apr 2022 06:37 UTC

In article <jbp6r0FdgboU1@mid.individual.net>,
Mike Fleming <mike@tauzero.co.uk> wrote:

> and involved having a sort of frame in my mouth to keep it open
>for two hours. Now I know how those sex dolls feel.

Too much detail, far too much detail. I'll now have to eat my
breakfast again.

Why not go all arty-farty and say you now feel how the artist's
model for "The Scream"[1] must have felt?

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Scream
--
Dennis Davis <dennisdavis@fastmail.fm>

Re: Tooth Faries

<t38kda$g0h$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9186&group=uk.rec.sheds#9186

From: ton...@email.com (Tone)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2022 09:01:46 +0100
 by: Tone - Thu, 14 Apr 2022 08:01 UTC

On 13/04/2022 17:36, Tease'n'Seize wrote:
> Tone wrote:
>
>> What do you actually save by being a NHS dental client?
>> Not much apparently.
>
> With the NHS, you get as many fillings as you need for a fixed rate 65zu,
> for private mine's more than double that per filling.

I had a NHS check-up yesterday with my usual teeth fetler, for which
they haven't charged me (yet).

I have made a private appointment today, elsewhere, for a private
check-up, that they will charge me £65 for, cos they won't do any jbex
until they've done their own check-up.

I have a cunning plan.

I'm hoping to get the painful tooth extracted privately, very soon (!)
for about £200 and the rest of the fillings done eventually with the
NHS. They won't do the extraction until the end of the mumff.

Then when sorted, register with the private dentist who offers one
check-up and two hygienes at £14.20 per month/£170.40 per year.

Any further jbex needing doing, back to my NHS who are not offering
hygiene visits.

Tone

Re: Tooth Faries

<G2duVXAEG+ViFAJ8@salmiron.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9192&group=uk.rec.sheds#9192

From: nicho...@salmiron.com (Nicholas D. Richards)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2022 09:55:32 +0100
 by: Nicholas D. Richards - Thu, 14 Apr 2022 08:55 UTC

In article <t38fff$1aor$1@gioia.aioe.org>, Dennis Davis
<dennisdavis@fastmail.fm> on Thu, 14 Apr 2022 at 06:37:35 awoke
Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote
>In article <jbp6r0FdgboU1@mid.individual.net>,
>Mike Fleming <mike@tauzero.co.uk> wrote:

>> and involved having a sort of frame in my mouth to keep it open
>>for two hours. Now I know how those sex dolls feel.
>
>Too much detail, far too much detail. I'll now have to eat my
>breakfast again.
>
>Why not go all arty-farty and say you now feel how the artist's
>model for "The Scream"[1] must have felt?
>
>[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Scream

And there I always thought that the model was covering his/her ears to
keep out the sound of the of the world.
--
0sterc@tcher -

"Où sont les neiges d'antan?"

Re: Tooth Faries

<20220414123156.93cce42989c77755b83b19dc@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9203&group=uk.rec.sheds#9203

From: adm...@127.0.0.1 (Kerr-Mudd, John)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2022 12:31:56 +0100
GNU: Terry Pratchett
 by: Kerr-Mudd, John - Thu, 14 Apr 2022 11:31 UTC

On Thu, 14 Apr 2022 09:01:46 +0100
Tone <tone@email.com> wrote:

> On 13/04/2022 17:36, Tease'n'Seize wrote:
> > Tone wrote:
> >
> >> What do you actually save by being a NHS dental client?
> >> Not much apparently.
> >
> > With the NHS, you get as many fillings as you need for a fixed rate 65zu,
> > for private mine's more than double that per filling.
> >

> I had a NHS check-up yesterday with my usual teeth fetler, for which
> they haven't charged me (yet).
>
> I have made a private appointment today, elsewhere, for a private
> check-up, that they will charge me £65 for, cos they won't do any jbex
> until they've done their own check-up.
>
> I have a cunning plan.
>
> I'm hoping to get the painful tooth extracted privately, very soon (!)
> for about £200 and the rest of the fillings done eventually with the
> NHS. They won't do the extraction until the end of the mumff.

During Covid I had an Emergency tooth extracted. But I'd got as far as a swollen face for that - still had to pay £12.90 or whatever the NHS charge was. Certainly a lot less than £200!

(The tooth is now off emergency support, and prolly cremated)

--
Bah, and indeed Humbug.

Re: Tooth Faries

<t39nm5$11o$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9221&group=uk.rec.sheds#9221

From: ton...@email.com (Tone)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2022 19:03:48 +0100
 by: Tone - Thu, 14 Apr 2022 18:03 UTC

On 14/04/2022 12:31, Kerr-Mudd, John wrote:
> During Covid I had an Emergency tooth extracted. But I'd got as far as a swollen face for that - still had to pay £12.90 or whatever the NHS charge was. Certainly a lot less than £200!

It's snot really about the money (Not that I have that much). But it's
about the timing. The NHS dentist could get me in for an extraction on
30th April. The private one will do it this Tuesday. He would havd done
it today, but it is a holiday weekend, and he didn't want to risk me
needing help if I had problems with infection afer the extraction over
the holiday weekend. I can understand that.

Tone