From: notha...@aolbin.com
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Makita 18V second fix nail gun - expensive!
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2023 21:09:57 +0000
 by: notha...@aolbin.com - Sat, 11 Mar 2023 21:09 UTC

I've had a Rapesco 181el nail gun for years and, although it's needed a
couple of repairs, it has been great. The only real gripe is the need
for a mains supply and that it's hard to get up close to a perpendicular
surface. I've become a bit of an 18V Makita fan boy so thought I'd treat
myself to a cordless second fix gun (DFN350) to replace the Rapesco -
then I saw the price! Ouch! I'll stick with the Rapesco.

Re: Makita 18V second fix nail gun - expensive!

<tuirnn$2mh6u$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=91493&group=uk.d-i-y#91493

From: see.my.s...@nowhere.null (John Rumm)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Makita 18V second fix nail gun - expensive!
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2023 21:27:19 +0000
 by: John Rumm - Sat, 11 Mar 2023 21:27 UTC

On 11/03/2023 21:09, nothanks@aolbin.com wrote:
> I've had a Rapesco 181el nail gun for years and, although it's needed a
> couple of repairs, it has been great. The only real gripe is the need
> for a mains supply and that it's hard to get up close to a perpendicular
> surface. I've become a bit of an 18V Makita fan boy so thought I'd treat
> myself to a cordless second fix gun (DFN350) to replace the Rapesco -
> then I saw the price! Ouch! I'll stick with the Rapesco.

Yup, Makita nail guns are not cheap, and they don't have the range of
electric only models.

I would probably be tempted by Hitachi / Hikoki for a nailer...

--
Cheers,

John.

Re: Makita 18V second fix nail gun - expensive!

<k74af1Feng3U3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=91495&group=uk.d-i-y#91495

From: notha...@aolbin.com
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2023 21:34:26 +0000
 by: notha...@aolbin.com - Sat, 11 Mar 2023 21:34 UTC

On 11/03/2023 21:27, John Rumm wrote:
> On 11/03/2023 21:09, nothanks@aolbin.com wrote:
>> I've had a Rapesco 181el nail gun for years and, although it's needed
>> a couple of repairs, it has been great. The only real gripe is the
>> need for a mains supply and that it's hard to get up close to a
>> perpendicular surface. I've become a bit of an 18V Makita fan boy so
>> thought I'd treat myself to a cordless second fix gun (DFN350) to
>> replace the Rapesco - then I saw the price! Ouch! I'll stick with the
>> Rapesco.
>
> Yup, Makita nail guns are not cheap, and they don't have the range of
> electric only models.
>
> I would probably be tempted by Hitachi / Hikoki for a nailer...

They seem to be a similar price, and (presumably) introduce another
battery form factor and charger

Re: Makita 18V second fix nail gun - expensive!

<tujl00$2timc$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=91512&group=uk.d-i-y#91512

From: see.my.s...@nowhere.null (John Rumm)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2023 04:38:24 +0000
 by: John Rumm - Sun, 12 Mar 2023 04:38 UTC

On 11/03/2023 21:34, nothanks@aolbin.com wrote:
> On 11/03/2023 21:27, John Rumm wrote:
>> On 11/03/2023 21:09, nothanks@aolbin.com wrote:
>>> I've had a Rapesco 181el nail gun for years and, although it's needed
>>> a couple of repairs, it has been great. The only real gripe is the
>>> need for a mains supply and that it's hard to get up close to a
>>> perpendicular surface. I've become a bit of an 18V Makita fan boy so
>>> thought I'd treat myself to a cordless second fix gun (DFN350) to
>>> replace the Rapesco - then I saw the price! Ouch! I'll stick with the
>>> Rapesco.
>>
>> Yup, Makita nail guns are not cheap, and they don't have the range of
>> electric only models.
>>
>> I would probably be tempted by Hitachi / Hikoki for a nailer...
>>

> They seem to be a similar price, and (presumably) introduce another
> battery form factor and charger

Hitachi do a battery only framing nailer - Makita's framing nailers are
still either pneumatic or gas powered (like Paslode). I expect they will
come out with some new ones soon, since there are lots of other vendors
getting into the market.

But yup buying into another platform is not ideal. I will still with my
air nailers for now!

--
Cheers,

John.

Re: Makita 18V second fix nail gun - expensive!

<3Ab*WS2az@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=91525&group=uk.d-i-y#91525

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 12 Mar 2023 10:43:15 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Theo - Sun, 12 Mar 2023 10:43 UTC

John Rumm <see.my.signature@nowhere.null> wrote:
> Hitachi do a battery only framing nailer - Makita's framing nailers are
> still either pneumatic or gas powered (like Paslode). I expect they will
> come out with some new ones soon, since there are lots of other vendors
> getting into the market.
>
> But yup buying into another platform is not ideal. I will still with my
> air nailers for now!

There is:
https://www.aldi.co.uk/18v-cordless-electric-nail-gun/p/720188620353700
although the nails might be too small, depending on what you want it for.

Theo