What fools these mortals be. -- Lucius Annaeus Seneca

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: Near Miss of the Day 758: Council apologises for “embarrassing” close pass

SubjectAuthor
* Near Miss of the Day 758: Council apologises for “swldx...@gmail.com
+* Re: Near Miss of the Day 758: Council apologises forMike Collins
|+- Re: Near Miss of the Day 758: Council apologises forJNugent
|+- Re: Near Miss of the Day 758: Council apologises forswldx...@gmail.com
|`- Non-Event of the Day 758: Council apologises for not colliding withSpike
+- Non=Event of the Day 758: Council apologises for not colliding withSpike
`- Re: Near Miss of the Day 758: Council apologises forswldx...@gmail.com

1
Near Miss of the Day 758: Council apologises for “embarrassing” close pass

<6a3d56fd-b985-4df9-9c0a-ebac156c1685n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9178&group=uk.rec.cycling#9178

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 1 May 2022 09:18:14 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Near_Miss_of_the_Day_758:_Council_apologises_for_“
embarrassing”_close_pass_
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sun, 1 May 2022 16:18 UTC

A nice touch!

A cyclist who was on the receiving end of a very close pass by the driver of a van belonging to Brighton & Hove City Council received an apology from a council official, who acknowledged how “embarrassing” the footage was, given its aim to make roads safer for cyclists and other vulnerable road users.

Tom, the road.cc reader who submitted the footage, told us: “I was on my usual commute from Brighton to Lewes. I submitted a report to Sussex Police's Operation Crackdown but never heard anything other than the initial automated response.

“I also emailed Brighton and Hove Council and I did receive a nice reply from their road safety officer [see below]. I never heard anything else from anyone after this.

“I’ve caught lots of near misses on camera however I think this one captures the sudden nature and ‘closeness’ of the pass very well,” Tom continued.

“The road runs parallel to a main road, and just after an underpass, making it particularly difficult to judge how close a vehicle is.

“There was no oncoming traffic, it was a blind bend with a speed limit of 20mph,” he added.

A council official told Tom that the driver had been traced and would be spoken to about the incident.

“We do have a driving for work policy, obviously highlighting the need to be aware and cognisant of the needs of vulnerable road users such as cyclists,” the official said.

“As Road Safety I have been encouraging our fleet to put their drivers through the Safer Urban Driving CPC course (although with the class of vehicle passing you the driver does not need a CPC).

“We were hoping to start this before the pandemic took grip but it has disrupted this amongst many things. I have raised this again – it puts drivers in the position of cyclists for a half day in the centre of the city, with appropriate instruction, to fully understand the problems cyclists have.

“We do want to encourage riders onto the streets and are fully aware how embarrassing this is,” the official added.

https://road.cc/content/news/nmotd-758-council-apologises-close-pass-292377

Re: Near Miss of the Day 758: Council apologises for “embarrassing” close pass

<0afbd9ae-ccc9-427e-b654-b6ab86476b51n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9185&group=uk.rec.cycling#9185

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 1 May 2022 11:04:51 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re:_Near_Miss_of_the_Day_758:_Council_apologises_for
_“embarrassing”_close_pass
From: cmike8...@gmail.com (Mike Collins)
 by: Mike Collins - Sun, 1 May 2022 18:04 UTC

On Sunday, 1 May 2022 at 17:18:16 UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> A nice touch!
>
> A cyclist who was on the receiving end of a very close pass by the driver of a van belonging to Brighton & Hove City Council received an apology from a council official, who acknowledged how “embarrassing” the footage was, given its aim to make roads safer for cyclists and other vulnerable road users.
>
> Tom, the road.cc reader who submitted the footage, told us: “I was on my usual commute from Brighton to Lewes. I submitted a report to Sussex Police's Operation Crackdown but never heard anything other than the initial automated response.
>
> “I also emailed Brighton and Hove Council and I did receive a nice reply from their road safety officer [see below]. I never heard anything else from anyone after this.
>
> “I’ve caught lots of near misses on camera however I think this one captures the sudden nature and ‘closeness’ of the pass very well,” Tom continued.
>
> “The road runs parallel to a main road, and just after an underpass, making it particularly difficult to judge how close a vehicle is.
>
> “There was no oncoming traffic, it was a blind bend with a speed limit of 20mph,” he added.
>
> A council official told Tom that the driver had been traced and would be spoken to about the incident.
>
> “We do have a driving for work policy, obviously highlighting the need to be aware and cognisant of the needs of vulnerable road users such as cyclists,” the official said.
>
> “As Road Safety I have been encouraging our fleet to put their drivers through the Safer Urban Driving CPC course (although with the class of vehicle passing you the driver does not need a CPC).
>
> “We were hoping to start this before the pandemic took grip but it has disrupted this amongst many things. I have raised this again – it puts drivers in the position of cyclists for a half day in the centre of the city, with appropriate instruction, to fully understand the problems cyclists have.
>
> “We do want to encourage riders onto the streets and are fully aware how embarrassing this is,” the official added.
>
> https://road.cc/content/news/nmotd-758-council-apologises-close-pass-292377

A mere apology is not acceptable. Life driving ban and 10 years jail for assault with a deadly weapon.

Re: Near Miss of the Day 758: Council apologises for “embarrassing” close pass

<jd83j7Fe3ffU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9189&group=uk.rec.cycling#9189

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
“embarrassing” close pass
Date: Sun, 1 May 2022 19:58:46 +0100
 by: JNugent - Sun, 1 May 2022 18:58 UTC

On 01/05/2022 07:04 pm, Mike Collins wrote:

> On Sunday, 1 May 2022 at 17:18:16 UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

>> A nice touch!
>>
>> A fairy-cyclist who was on the receiving end of a very close pass by the driver of a van belonging to Brighton & Hove City Council received an apology from a council official, who acknowledged how “embarrassing” the footage was, given its aim to make roads safer for fairy-cyclists and other vulnerable road users.
>>
>> Tom, the road.cc reader who submitted the footage, told us: “I was on my usual commute from Brighton to Lewes. I submitted a report to Sussex Police's Operation Crackdown but never heard anything other than the initial automated response.
>>
>> “I also emailed Brighton and Hove Council and I did receive a nice reply from their road safety officer [see below]. I never heard anything else from anyone after this.
>>
>> “I’ve caught lots of near misses on camera however I think this one captures the sudden nature and ‘closeness’ of the pass very well,” Tom continued.
>>
>> “The road runs parallel to a main road, and just after an underpass, making it particularly difficult to judge how close a vehicle is.
>>
>> “There was no oncoming traffic, it was a blind bend with a speed limit of 20mph,” he added.
>>
>> A council official told Tom that the driver had been traced and would be spoken to about the incident.
>>
>> “We do have a driving for work policy, obviously highlighting the need to be aware and cognisant of the needs of vulnerable road users such as fairy-cyclists,” the official said.
>>
>> “As Road Safety I have been encouraging our fleet to put their drivers through the Safer Urban Driving CPC course (although with the class of vehicle passing you the driver does not need a CPC).
>>
>> “We were hoping to start this before the pandemic took grip but it has disrupted this amongst many things. I have raised this again – it puts drivers in the position of fairy-cyclists for a half day in the centre of the city, with appropriate instruction, to fully understand the problems fairy-cyclists have.
>>
>> “We do want to encourage riders onto the streets and are fully aware how embarrassing this is,” the official added.
>>
>> https://road.cc/content/news/nmotd-758-council-apologises-close-pass-292377
>
> A mere apology is not acceptable. Life driving ban and 10 years jail for assault with a deadly weapon.

How amusing of you.

Re: Near Miss of the Day 758: Council apologises for “embarrassing” close pass

<78f0d092-3db2-4a08-9c5b-290cd034799fn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9192&group=uk.rec.cycling#9192

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 1 May 2022 12:13:39 -0700 (PDT)
_“embarrassing”_close_pass
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sun, 1 May 2022 19:13 UTC

On Sunday, May 1, 2022 at 7:04:53 PM UTC+1, Mike Collins wrote:

> > “We do want to encourage riders onto the streets and are fully aware how embarrassing this is,” the official added.
> >
> > https://road.cc/content/news/nmotd-758-council-apologises-close-pass-292377
> A mere apology is not acceptable. Life driving ban and 10 years jail for assault with a deadly weapon.

Owd Big 'Ead | 122 posts | 2 hours ago
2 likes
QUOTE:
Terrible pass, one of the worst ive seen on here, as it was needless due to the empty road.

I'd drop Caroline Lucas an email at the House's of Parliament. Brighton is her constituency. I'm pretty sure she'd be horrified by both the local council and police response.

Non=Event of the Day 758: Council apologises for not colliding with cyclist

<jd9k1lFmncqU3@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9200&group=uk.rec.cycling#9200

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Non=Event of the Day 758: Council apologises for not colliding with
cyclist
Date: Mon, 2 May 2022 08:45:41 +0000
 by: Spike - Mon, 2 May 2022 08:45 UTC

--
Spike

Non-Event of the Day 758: Council apologises for not colliding with cyclist

<jd9k8iFmncqU4@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9201&group=uk.rec.cycling#9201

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
cyclist
Date: Mon, 2 May 2022 08:49:23 +0000
 by: Spike - Mon, 2 May 2022 08:49 UTC

On 01/05/2022 18:04, Mike Collins wrote:
> On Sunday, 1 May 2022 at 17:18:16 UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

>> A nice touch!

>> A cyclist who was on the receiving end of a very close pass by the driver of a van belonging to Brighton & Hove City Council received an apology from a council official, who acknowledged how “embarrassing” the footage was, given its aim to make roads safer for cyclists and other vulnerable road users.

>> Tom, the road.cc reader who submitted the footage, told us: “I was on my usual commute from Brighton to Lewes. I submitted a report to Sussex Police's Operation Crackdown but never heard anything other than the initial automated response.

>> “I also emailed Brighton and Hove Council and I did receive a nice reply from their road safety officer [see below]. I never heard anything else from anyone after this.

>> “I’ve caught lots of near misses on camera however I think this one captures the sudden nature and ‘closeness’ of the pass very well,” Tom continued.

>> “The road runs parallel to a main road, and just after an underpass, making it particularly difficult to judge how close a vehicle is.

>> “There was no oncoming traffic, it was a blind bend with a speed limit of 20mph,” he added.

>> A council official told Tom that the driver had been traced and would be spoken to about the incident.

>> “We do have a driving for work policy, obviously highlighting the need to be aware and cognisant of the needs of vulnerable road users such as cyclists,” the official said.

>> “As Road Safety I have been encouraging our fleet to put their drivers through the Safer Urban Driving CPC course (although with the class of vehicle passing you the driver does not need a CPC).

>> “We were hoping to start this before the pandemic took grip but it has disrupted this amongst many things. I have raised this again – it puts drivers in the position of cyclists for a half day in the centre of the city, with appropriate instruction, to fully understand the problems cyclists have.

>> “We do want to encourage riders onto the streets and are fully aware how embarrassing this is,” the official added.

>> https://road.cc/content/news/nmotd-758-council-apologises-close-pass-292377

> A mere apology is not acceptable. Life driving ban and 10 years jail for assault with a deadly weapon.

Let's hope they catch the bully of a cyclist that beat up an
octogenarian for walking on the pavement - he should get 25 years and
his licence taken away permanently.

--
Spike

Re: Near Miss of the Day 758: Council apologises for “embarrassing” close pass

<8bdda936-47b4-4fed-a114-57f1f715c1b0n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9207&group=uk.rec.cycling#9207

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 2 May 2022 02:35:07 -0700 (PDT)
_“embarrassing”_close_pass
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Mon, 2 May 2022 09:35 UTC

hawkinspeter | 8770 posts | 20 hours ago
9 likes
I appreciate the response from the Council, but this is a very dangerous pass and the police need to step up and do something. This driver needs to be taken off the roads until they can learn how to not put people in danger.

SPOT ON.