Anger kills as surely as the other vices.

aus+uk / aus.electronics / Re: Jaycar owner passes

SubjectAuthor
* Jaycar owner passesPhil Allison
+- Re: Jaycar owner passeskeithr0
+- Re: Jaycar owner passesPhil Allison
+* Re: Jaycar owner passesSylvia Else
|`* Re: Jaycar owner passesComputer Nerd Kev
| +* Re: Jaycar owner passesSylvia Else
| |`* Re: Jaycar owner passesXeno
| | `- Re: Jaycar owner passesClocky
| `* Re: Jaycar owner passesXeno
|  +- Re: Jaycar owner passesClifford Heath
|  `* Re: Jaycar owner passesSylvia Else
|   +* Re: Jaycar owner passesClifford Heath
|   |`- Re: Jaycar owner passesSylvia Else
|   `- Re: Jaycar owner passesClocky
`* Re: Jaycar owner passesPhil Allison
 `* Re: Jaycar owner passesNews 2021
  `* Re: Jaycar owner passesXeno
   `- Re: Jaycar owner passesPhil Allison

1
Jaycar owner passes

<b0fecf8e-6403-4033-9036-151ee96e6122n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=904&group=aus.electronics#904

Newsgroups: aus.electronics
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2021 02:40:59 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Jaycar owner passes
From: palliso...@gmail.com (Phil Allison)
 by: Phil Allison - Tue, 29 Jun 2021 09:40 UTC

Hi,

just found out the Gary Johnston passed away in February this year.
While a Dick Smith manager, he arranged to purchase a small electronic components outlet in the Sydney CBD called " John Car and Co" - aka Jaycar. This was in 1891.

He later bought Bill Edge's Electronics Agencies ( formerly "Edge Electrics" ) in Parramatta Road and made that into his headquarters.

For a few months in the early 70's I worked for Bill Edge in Burwood Road - then moved on to "Pre-pak" for a short while.

Bill was the son of Norm Edge, long time manager of "Radio Dispatch Service " in Broadway. I worked there for just one day, filling in for a missing staffer.

See news item re Gary:

https://www.smh.com.au/national/jaycar-founder-gary-johnston-dies-after-a-short-illness-20210311-p579x3.html

Last time I saw anything of Gary he was on Sky News complaining about the shit awful submarine deal Australia made.

....... Phil

Re: Jaycar owner passes

<ik08aqFav0aU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=905&group=aus.electronics#905

From: use...@account.invalid (keithr0)
Newsgroups: aus.electronics
Subject: Re: Jaycar owner passes
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2021 19:43:54 +1000
 by: keithr0 - Tue, 29 Jun 2021 09:43 UTC

On 29/06/2021 7:40 pm, Phil Allison wrote:

> Hi,
>
> just found out the Gary Johnston passed away in February this year.
> While a Dick Smith manager, he arranged to purchase a small electronic components outlet in the Sydney CBD called " John Car and Co" - aka Jaycar. This was in 1891.

1891?

> He later bought Bill Edge's Electronics Agencies ( formerly "Edge Electrics" ) in Parramatta Road and made that into his headquarters.
>
> For a few months in the early 70's I worked for Bill Edge in Burwood Road - then moved on to "Pre-pak" for a short while.
>
> Bill was the son of Norm Edge, long time manager of "Radio Dispatch Service " in Broadway. I worked there for just one day, filling in for a missing staffer.
>
> See news item re Gary:
>
> https://www.smh.com.au/national/jaycar-founder-gary-johnston-dies-after-a-short-illness-20210311-p579x3.html
>
> Last time I saw anything of Gary he was on Sky News complaining about the shit awful submarine deal Australia made.
>

> ...... Phil

Re: Jaycar owner passes

<ebe8f49f-1885-4927-ac25-2269bd8f2cadn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=906&group=aus.electronics#906

Newsgroups: aus.electronics
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2021 02:44:20 -0700 (PDT)
From: palliso...@gmail.com (Phil Allison)
 by: Phil Allison - Tue, 29 Jun 2021 09:44 UTC

Phil Allison wrote:
--------------------------
" This was in 1891. "

** Haha - 1981 of course.

Re: Jaycar owner passes

<ik1spmFkocgU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=907&group=aus.electronics#907

From: syl...@email.invalid (Sylvia Else)
Newsgroups: aus.electronics
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2021 10:39:21 +1000
 by: Sylvia Else - Wed, 30 Jun 2021 00:39 UTC

On 29-Jun-21 7:40 pm, Phil Allison wrote:

> Hi,
>
> just found out the Gary Johnston passed away in February this year.
> While a Dick Smith manager, he arranged to purchase a small electronic components outlet in the Sydney CBD called " John Car and Co" - aka Jaycar. This was in 1891.
>
> He later bought Bill Edge's Electronics Agencies ( formerly "Edge Electrics" ) in Parramatta Road and made that into his headquarters.
>
> For a few months in the early 70's I worked for Bill Edge in Burwood Road - then moved on to "Pre-pak" for a short while.
>
> Bill was the son of Norm Edge, long time manager of "Radio Dispatch Service " in Broadway. I worked there for just one day, filling in for a missing staffer.
>
> See news item re Gary:
>
> https://www.smh.com.au/national/jaycar-founder-gary-johnston-dies-after-a-short-illness-20210311-p579x3.html
>
> Last time I saw anything of Gary he was on Sky News complaining about the shit awful submarine deal Australia made.
>

> ...... Phil

I was in JayCar the other day. They tried to sell me a fridge.

<https://www.jaycar.com.au/95l-brass-monkey-dual-zone-fridge-freezer/p/GH1682>

Seems on odd thing for JayCar to be into. Failed attempt to profit from
people stocking up during the pandemic?

Sylvia.

Re: Jaycar owner passes

<c89c574e-d8ee-4f6d-be69-771c97e43feen@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=908&group=aus.electronics#908

Newsgroups: aus.electronics
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2021 01:47:53 -0700 (PDT)
From: palliso...@gmail.com (Phil Allison)
 by: Phil Allison - Wed, 30 Jun 2021 08:47 UTC

Phil Allison wrote:
==============
> Hi,
> For a few months in the early 70's I worked for Bill Edge in Burwood Road - then moved on to "Pre-pak" for a short while.
>
> Bill was the son of Norm Edge, long time manager of "Radio Dispatch Service " in Broadway.

** Forgot to mention:

Norm Edge served in the Australian Army in WW2.
Driving a tank.
Told me he didn't like it much.

....... Phil

Re: Jaycar owner passes

<sbiri9$nht$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=909&group=aus.electronics#909

From: not...@telling.you.invalid (Computer Nerd Kev)
Newsgroups: aus.electronics
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2021 22:34:51 +0000 (UTC)
 by: Computer Nerd Kev - Wed, 30 Jun 2021 22:34 UTC

Sylvia Else <sylvia@email.invalid> wrote:

> I was in JayCar the other day. They tried to sell me a fridge.
>
> <https://www.jaycar.com.au/95l-brass-monkey-dual-zone-fridge-freezer/p/GH1682>
>
> Seems on odd thing for JayCar to be into. Failed attempt to profit from
> people stocking up during the pandemic?

12/24V, so looks more like something that's meant to sit alongside
their range of vehicle accessories (and the wires to connect them
all up). I'm surprised that even things like that are talking to
smart phones these days, no idea why.

--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _#

Re: Jaycar owner passes

<ik4db6F53puU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=910&group=aus.electronics#910

From: syl...@email.invalid (Sylvia Else)
Newsgroups: aus.electronics
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2021 09:34:03 +1000
 by: Sylvia Else - Wed, 30 Jun 2021 23:34 UTC

On 01-Jul-21 8:34 am, Computer Nerd Kev wrote:
> Sylvia Else <sylvia@email.invalid> wrote:
>>
>> I was in JayCar the other day. They tried to sell me a fridge.
>>
>> <https://www.jaycar.com.au/95l-brass-monkey-dual-zone-fridge-freezer/p/GH1682>
>>
>> Seems on odd thing for JayCar to be into. Failed attempt to profit from
>> people stocking up during the pandemic?
>
> 12/24V, so looks more like something that's meant to sit alongside
> their range of vehicle accessories (and the wires to connect them
> all up). I'm surprised that even things like that are talking to
> smart phones these days, no idea why.

Yes, I hadn't noticed the voltage.

Sylvia.

Re: Jaycar owner passes

<ik4nktF6sc5U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=911&group=aus.electronics#911

From: xenol...@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.electronics
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2021 12:29:48 +1000
 by: Xeno - Thu, 1 Jul 2021 02:29 UTC

On 1/7/21 8:34 am, Computer Nerd Kev wrote:
> Sylvia Else <sylvia@email.invalid> wrote:
>>
>> I was in JayCar the other day. They tried to sell me a fridge.
>>
>> <https://www.jaycar.com.au/95l-brass-monkey-dual-zone-fridge-freezer/p/GH1682>
>>
>> Seems on odd thing for JayCar to be into. Failed attempt to profit from
>> people stocking up during the pandemic?
>
> 12/24V, so looks more like something that's meant to sit alongside
> their range of vehicle accessories (and the wires to connect them
> all up). I'm surprised that even things like that are talking to
> smart phones these days, no idea why.

A friend recently bought one of those fridges, not sure of the model,
and he was waxing lyrical about controlling it from his phone. He did
use it for a *camping trip* to Cairns from NSW so maybe he could see a
benefit in phone control. I still can't see the need.

--

Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: Jaycar owner passes

<ik4o3kF6vvlU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=912&group=aus.electronics#912

From: xenol...@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.electronics
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2021 12:37:37 +1000
 by: Xeno - Thu, 1 Jul 2021 02:37 UTC

On 1/7/21 9:34 am, Sylvia Else wrote:
> On 01-Jul-21 8:34 am, Computer Nerd Kev wrote:
>> Sylvia Else <sylvia@email.invalid> wrote:
>>>
>>> I was in JayCar the other day. They tried to sell me a fridge.
>>>
>>> <https://www.jaycar.com.au/95l-brass-monkey-dual-zone-fridge-freezer/p/GH1682>
>>>

>>> Seems on odd thing for JayCar to be into. Failed attempt to profit from
>>> people stocking up during the pandemic?
>>
>> 12/24V, so looks more like something that's meant to sit alongside
>> their range of vehicle accessories (and the wires to connect them
>> all up). I'm surprised that even things like that are talking to
>> smart phones these days, no idea why.
>>

> Yes, I hadn't noticed the voltage.
>
> Sylvia.

They also run off 240V as well though that is through a *wall wart*.
Handy, I suppose, if you are camping at a powered site.

--

Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: Jaycar owner passes

<168d91182042d7f3$1$1356503$70dd7a6b@news.thecubenet.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=913&group=aus.electronics#913

Newsgroups: aus.electronics
From: no.s...@please.net (Clifford Heath)
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2021 14:42:53 +1000
 by: Clifford Heath - Thu, 1 Jul 2021 04:42 UTC

On 1/7/21 12:29 pm, Xeno wrote:
> On 1/7/21 8:34 am, Computer Nerd Kev wrote:
>> Sylvia Else <sylvia@email.invalid> wrote:
>>>
>>> I was in JayCar the other day. They tried to sell me a fridge.
>>>
>>> <https://www.jaycar.com.au/95l-brass-monkey-dual-zone-fridge-freezer/p/GH1682>
>>>

>>> Seems on odd thing for JayCar to be into. Failed attempt to profit from
>>> people stocking up during the pandemic?
>>
>> 12/24V, so looks more like something that's meant to sit alongside
>> their range of vehicle accessories (and the wires to connect them
>> all up). I'm surprised that even things like that are talking to
>> smart phones these days, no idea why.
>>
> A friend recently bought one of those fridges, not sure of the model,
> and he was waxing lyrical about controlling it from his phone. He did
> use it for a *camping trip* to Cairns from NSW so maybe he could see a
> benefit in phone control. I still can't see the need.

If might be nice to be alerted that your battery is nearly flat and the
fridge is about to defrost.

Re: Jaycar owner passes

<ik53g8F8v99U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=914&group=aus.electronics#914

From: syl...@email.invalid (Sylvia Else)
Newsgroups: aus.electronics
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2021 15:52:13 +1000
 by: Sylvia Else - Thu, 1 Jul 2021 05:52 UTC

On 01-Jul-21 12:29 pm, Xeno wrote:
> On 1/7/21 8:34 am, Computer Nerd Kev wrote:
>> Sylvia Else <sylvia@email.invalid> wrote:
>>>
>>> I was in JayCar the other day. They tried to sell me a fridge.
>>>
>>> <https://www.jaycar.com.au/95l-brass-monkey-dual-zone-fridge-freezer/p/GH1682>
>>>

>>> Seems on odd thing for JayCar to be into. Failed attempt to profit from
>>> people stocking up during the pandemic?
>>
>> 12/24V, so looks more like something that's meant to sit alongside
>> their range of vehicle accessories (and the wires to connect them
>> all up). I'm surprised that even things like that are talking to
>> smart phones these days, no idea why.
>>
> A friend recently bought one of those fridges, not sure of the model,
> and he was waxing lyrical about controlling it from his phone. He did
> use it for a *camping trip* to Cairns from NSW so maybe he could see a
> benefit in phone control. I still can't see the need.

Probably won't be so happy when hackers work their way around the very
likely flawed security, and defrost all the food in them everywhere.

Sylvia.

Re: Jaycar owner passes

<168d99b8189de841$1$2262039$72dd786b@news.thecubenet.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=915&group=aus.electronics#915

Newsgroups: aus.electronics
From: no.s...@please.net (Clifford Heath)
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2021 17:20:56 +1000
 by: Clifford Heath - Thu, 1 Jul 2021 07:20 UTC

On 1/7/21 3:52 pm, Sylvia Else wrote:
> On 01-Jul-21 12:29 pm, Xeno wrote:

>>> 12/24V, so looks more like something that's meant to sit alongside
>>> their range of vehicle accessories (and the wires to connect them
>>> all up). I'm surprised that even things like that are talking to
>>> smart phones these days, no idea why.
>>>
>> A friend recently bought one of those fridges, not sure of the model,
>> and he was waxing lyrical about controlling it from his phone. He did
>> use it for a *camping trip* to Cairns from NSW so maybe he could see a
>> benefit in phone control. I still can't see the need.
>>

> Probably won't be so happy when hackers work their way around the very
> likely flawed security, and defrost all the food in them everywhere.

Such a profitable target! I'm sure the Russkies will be all over it

Re: Jaycar owner passes

<ik5pbgFd2neU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=916&group=aus.electronics#916

From: syl...@email.invalid (Sylvia Else)
Newsgroups: aus.electronics
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2021 22:05:10 +1000
 by: Sylvia Else - Thu, 1 Jul 2021 12:05 UTC

On 01-Jul-21 5:20 pm, Clifford Heath wrote:
> On 1/7/21 3:52 pm, Sylvia Else wrote:

>>> A friend recently bought one of those fridges, not sure of the model,
>>> and he was waxing lyrical about controlling it from his phone. He did
>>> use it for a *camping trip* to Cairns from NSW so maybe he could see
>>> a benefit in phone control. I still can't see the need.
>>>

>> Probably won't be so happy when hackers work their way around the very
>> likely flawed security, and defrost all the food in them everywhere.
>
> Such a profitable target! I'm sure the Russkies will be all over it
They'll be paid by a consortium of grocers.

Sylvia.

Re: Jaycar owner passes

<sblk55$3qp$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=917&group=aus.electronics#917

From: notgo...@happen.com (Clocky)
Newsgroups: aus.electronics
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2021 07:46:47 +0800
 by: Clocky - Thu, 1 Jul 2021 23:46 UTC

On 1/07/2021 10:37 am, Xeno wrote:
> On 1/7/21 9:34 am, Sylvia Else wrote:

>>> 12/24V, so looks more like something that's meant to sit alongside
>>> their range of vehicle accessories (and the wires to connect them
>>> all up). I'm surprised that even things like that are talking to
>>> smart phones these days, no idea why.
>>>

>> Yes, I hadn't noticed the voltage.
>>
>> Sylvia.
>
> They also run off 240V as well though that is through a *wall wart*.
> Handy, I suppose, if you are camping at a powered site.

They are probably garbage at that price point but then again you're not
paying for a name so maybe OK.

Re: Jaycar owner passes

<sblk8k$3qp$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=918&group=aus.electronics#918

From: notgo...@happen.com (Clocky)
Newsgroups: aus.electronics
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2021 07:48:38 +0800
 by: Clocky - Thu, 1 Jul 2021 23:48 UTC

On 1/07/2021 1:52 pm, Sylvia Else wrote:
> On 01-Jul-21 12:29 pm, Xeno wrote:

>>> 12/24V, so looks more like something that's meant to sit alongside
>>> their range of vehicle accessories (and the wires to connect them
>>> all up). I'm surprised that even things like that are talking to
>>> smart phones these days, no idea why.
>>>
>> A friend recently bought one of those fridges, not sure of the model,
>> and he was waxing lyrical about controlling it from his phone. He did
>> use it for a *camping trip* to Cairns from NSW so maybe he could see a
>> benefit in phone control. I still can't see the need.
>>

> Probably won't be so happy when hackers work their way around the very
> likely flawed security, and defrost all the food in them everywhere.
>
> Sylvia.

All those commies hiding hiding under your camping bed?

Re: Jaycar owner passes

<sbmtpr$cmc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=919&group=aus.electronics#919

From: new...@woa.com.au (News 2021)
Newsgroups: aus.electronics
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2021 11:37:31 -0000 (UTC)
 by: News 2021 - Fri, 2 Jul 2021 11:37 UTC

On Wed, 30 Jun 2021 01:47:53 -0700, Phil Allison scribed:

> Phil Allison wrote:
> ==============
>> Hi,
>> For a few months in the early 70's I worked for Bill Edge in Burwood
>> Road - then moved on to "Pre-pak" for a short while.
>>
>> Bill was the son of Norm Edge, long time manager of "Radio Dispatch
>> Service " in Broadway.
>>

> ** Forgot to mention:
>
> Norm Edge served in the Australian Army in WW2.
> Driving a tank.
> Told me he didn't like it much.

Did he really ave anything to complain about?
I knew an old pommy tank driver that 'lost' six tanks during WWII.
He figured he had used up a lot of luck during that time.

Re: Jaycar owner passes

<2052131438.646967970.305877.xenolith-optusnet.com.au@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=920&group=aus.electronics#920

From: xenol...@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.electronics
Date: 3 Jul 2021 01:24:09 GMT
 by: Xeno - Sat, 3 Jul 2021 01:24 UTC

News 2021 <news21@woa.com.au> wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Jun 2021 01:47:53 -0700, Phil Allison scribed:
>
>> Phil Allison wrote:
>> ==============
>>> Hi,
>>> For a few months in the early 70's I worked for Bill Edge in Burwood
>>> Road - then moved on to "Pre-pak" for a short while.
>>>
>>> Bill was the son of Norm Edge, long time manager of "Radio Dispatch
>>> Service " in Broadway.
>>>

>> ** Forgot to mention:
>>
>> Norm Edge served in the Australian Army in WW2.
>> Driving a tank.
>> Told me he didn't like it much.
>
> Did he really ave anything to complain about?
> I knew an old pommy tank driver that 'lost' six tanks during WWII.
> He figured he had used up a lot of luck during that time.

The life expectancy of a tank crew in WWII was something in the order of 5
or 6 weeks. To have lost 6 tanks and *survived* the war was really rare and
lucky. No need for him to buy lotto tickets since he’d used all his luck
already.

β€”β€”β€”
Xeno

Re: Jaycar owner passes

<4d8ea181-e1b0-43ad-9360-a64f979139fen@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=921&group=aus.electronics#921

Newsgroups: aus.electronics
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2021 19:29:19 -0700 (PDT)
From: palliso...@gmail.com (Phil Allison)
 by: Phil Allison - Sat, 3 Jul 2021 02:29 UTC

Xeno = Google Monkey Fool:

> The life expectancy of a tank crew in WWII was something in the order of 5
> or 6 weeks.

** Only if you were in a Russian tank.

Allied tank crews had a very high war time survival rate.
About 80% for US, 90 % for UK and higher again for Aussies.

Air crew and foot soldiers had much higher loss rates.
Nearly half the Australian pilots who flew in the Battle of Britain were killed.
Bomber Command ( UK) had 45% death rate - 55,000 died.

..... Phil