Q: What's tan and black and looks great on a lawyer? A: A doberman.

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: Clackmannanshire cyclist voices frustration over dangerous fly tipping

SubjectAuthor
* Clackmannanshire cyclist voices frustration over dangerous fly tippingswldx...@gmail.com
+- Re: Clackmannanshire cyclist voices frustration over dangerous flySpike
+* Re: Clackmannanshire cyclist voices frustration over dangerous fly tippingswldx...@gmail.com
> [...]
+* Re: Clackmannanshire cyclist voices frustration over dangerous fly tippingswldx...@gmail.com
|`- Re: Clackmannanshire cyclist voices frustration over dangerous flySpike
+* Re: Clackmannanshire cyclist voices frustration over dangerous fly tippingswldx...@gmail.com
|`- Re: Clackmannanshire cyclist voices frustration over dangerous flySpike
+* Re: Clackmannanshire cyclist voices frustration over dangerous fly tippingswldx...@gmail.com
|`- Re: Clackmannanshire cyclist voices frustration over dangerous flySpike
+* Re: Clackmannanshire cyclist voices frustration over dangerous fly tippingswldx...@gmail.com
|`- Re: Clackmannanshire cyclist voices frustration over dangerous flySpike
+* Re: Clackmannanshire cyclist voices frustration over dangerous fly tippingswldx...@gmail.com
|`- Re: Clackmannanshire cyclist voices frustration over dangerous flySpike

Pages:123
Re: Clackmannanshire cyclist voices frustration over dangerous fly tipping

<jd4kf0Fo74hU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9094&group=uk.rec.cycling#9094

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Clackmannanshire cyclist voices frustration over dangerous fly
tipping
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2022 12:22:08 +0100
 by: JNugent - Sat, 30 Apr 2022 11:22 UTC

On 29/04/2022 10:26 pm, TMS320 wrote:

> On 23/04/2022 14:37, JNugent wrote:

>>> I use the word "lorry" because I am English. Well, surprise,
>>> surprise, when you realised that you had used an Americanism you had
>>> to devize a face saving measure.
>
>> Have you been out of the country for the last sixty-five years? Had
>> you not been, you'd have perhaps known that over that period (and no
>> doubt earlier) the British motor vehicle industry produced pick-up
>> truck versions of various popular British cars and light commercial
>> vehicles. Nothing directly to do with the USA.
>
> Wriggle, wriggle, wriggle. Your original phrase was - "vans and small
> trucks"
>
> Translated into English - vans and small lorries.

What is a "small lorry"?

Are you thinking of Corgi or Moko-Lesney?

> I have spent my life using the term "truck" to refer to something that
> is part of a vehicle, not the vehicle.

That's your own fault.

>>> Thank you for accepting that I never discussed the case other than
>>> the two matters I have just mentioned.
>
>> You may have given up on trying to defend his despicable behaviour.
>> You have switched to attacking any mention or reminder of it,
>> especially as we all know that he is not the only fairy-cyclist who
>> behaves that badly.
>
> Wriggle, wriggle, wriggle. First, you accepted what I said but when you
> realised what you had written, you had to turn to accuse me of lying.

Fairy-cyclists, eh? It's impossible for any of them to conceive of one
of their number doing anything wrong... it's always their victim's fault...

Re: Clackmannanshire cyclist voices frustration over dangerous fly tipping

<83350d44-c950-4e9e-a777-e00eb2f80c6cn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9100&group=uk.rec.cycling#9100

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2022 06:02:19 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Clackmannanshire cyclist voices frustration over dangerous fly tipping
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sat, 30 Apr 2022 13:02 UTC

On Tuesday, April 12, 2022 at 1:17:18 PM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> Dirty drivers yet again.

Fines for fly-tipping must be significantly increased to act as a suitable deterrent, the LGA says.

Proposed changes to fly-tipping fines have been outlined in a letter to the Sentencing Council, which has been co-signed by the LGA alongside 158 local authorities and 10 professional bodies.

Currently, the Sentencing Guideline for Environmental Offences sets out a 12-step process to determine the sentence for a fly-tipping offence. A deliberate fly-tipping offence designated to incur ‘minor’ environmental harm brings with it a fine with a starting point of Band F, which is 600 per cent of weekly earnings. Based on average UK earnings, this should amount to over £3,000, but from the 2,671 court fines issued in 2019/20, the total value of these was £1,170,000 – an average of £438 per fine.

The LGA says that current sentences handed down fail to match the severity of the offence committed and do not act as a suitable deterrent, highlighted by the fact that almost 20,000 incidents of fly-tipping occur each week in England.

The letter to the Sentencing Council highlights that in order to encourage the use of FPNs, which are quicker and cheaper to administer, and reduce pressure on the courts, court fines should always exceed the £400 maximum FPN and include costs incurred by the public purse and the police in bringing the defendant to court.

It also calls for fly-tipping to be looked at by the court as an offence first, rather than at the individual and their ability to pay, as well as more use of suspended sentences, or custodial sentences for anyone convicted of a second fly-tipping offence.

Cllr Darren Rodwell, environment spokesperson for the Local Government Association, said:

“Fly-tipping is inexcusable.

“Councils are working tirelessly to counter the thousands of incidents every year and are determined to crack down on the problem. However, prosecution requires a high threshold of proof and even when found guilty, the current fines fail to act as a deterrent.

“Fly-tipping currently costs local taxpayers almost £50 million a year to clean up which could be better spent on other vital services in our communities, but until the fine matches the crime, the burden will continue to fall on residents.

“We are eager to work with government to update its sentencing guidelines to ensure that those caught and prosecuted for fly-tipping receive significant fines that help to offset the huge costs to councils and ensure they never offend again.”

Case studies

Mid Devon District Council discovered 40 bags of hazardous material that was fly-tipped on the public highway, including asbestos insulation board. Due to its dangerous nature, the material had to be removed by a licensed asbestos contractor at a cost to the taxpayer.

Luton Council’s campaign to help tackle fly-tipping has proven a success, with 191 Fixed Penalty Notices being issued and paid over the last year. Residents are being asked to help identify offenders through the Wall of Shame campaign making regular appeals on social media.

Enfield Council declared a major campaign on grime this July, aimed at halting an increase in fly-tipping during the pandemic and asking residents to report fly-tips and given information on those who are seen dumping it.

Durham County Council saw a man fined £320 after pleading guilty to fly-tipping. He was unable to pay the Fixed Penalty Notice offered to him and was taken to court where he admitted to the crime and paid over £650 including legal costs.

Thurrock Council’s Environmental Enforcement Officers found and seized a vehicle suspected of having been used to carry out a series of fly-tips in the area. A Fixed Penalty Notice was issued to the registered keeper of the driver.

https://www.local.gov.uk/about/news/lga-increase-fly-tipping-fines-act-suitable-deterrent

Re: Clackmannanshire cyclist voices frustration over dangerous fly tipping

<jd6vcqF78h9U3@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9124&group=uk.rec.cycling#9124

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
tipping
Date: Sun, 1 May 2022 08:41:03 +0000
 by: Spike - Sun, 1 May 2022 08:41 UTC

On 30/04/2022 13:02, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

> Fines for fly-tipping must be significantly increased to act as a suitable deterrent, the LGA says.

Let's hope it spreads to littering by cyclists.

--
Spike

Re: Clackmannanshire cyclist voices frustration over dangerous fly tipping

<d9ef1575-a159-41ba-a1fc-68a99f4867ebn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9131&group=uk.rec.cycling#9131

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 1 May 2022 02:26:45 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sun, 1 May 2022 09:26 UTC

On Tuesday, April 12, 2022 at 1:17:18 PM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> Dirty drivers yet again.

Fly-tipping is defined as the ‘illegal deposit of any waste onto land that does not have a licence to accept it’.

Tipping a mattress, electrical items or a bin bag full of rubbish in the street causes a local nuisance and makes an area look ugly and run down. At the larger end of the scale fly-tipping can involve several truckloads of construction and demolition waste being tipped on different types of land.

Uncontrolled illegal waste disposal can be hazardous to the public, especially if it contains toxic material or asbestos. There could be a risk of damage to watercourses and soil quality from the dumped waste.

In 2016/17 more than one million incidences of fly-tipping were dealt with by councils in England. The estimated cost of clearing up this waste was over £58 million.

Fly-tipping is a serious criminal offence for which you can be prosecuted. The courts have various powers available to them to tackle fly-tipping, including imprisonment, unlimited fines and an order to deprive rights to a vehicle used to commit the offence.

Re: Clackmannanshire cyclist voices frustration over dangerous fly tipping

<jd72f5F7oboU6@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9139&group=uk.rec.cycling#9139

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
tipping
Date: Sun, 1 May 2022 09:33:25 +0000
 by: Spike - Sun, 1 May 2022 09:33 UTC

On 01/05/2022 09:26, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

> Fly-tipping is defined as the ‘illegal deposit of any waste onto land that does not have a licence to accept it’.

So, it applies to to the rubbish that cyclists throw away, then.

<https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/selfish-cyclists-slammed-for-dropping-litter-after-richmond-park-deer-deaths-a3350046.html>

--
Spike

Re: Clackmannanshire cyclist voices frustration over dangerous fly tipping

<2d4c293d-9194-4c6a-95a4-ceafdc642dfbn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9141&group=uk.rec.cycling#9141

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 1 May 2022 02:35:17 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sun, 1 May 2022 09:35 UTC

On Tuesday, April 12, 2022 at 1:17:18 PM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> Dirty drivers yet again.

Anyone caught illegally dumping waste could soon face an on-the spot penalty of up to £400, the Environment Minister Rory Stewart announced today..

From Monday 9 May local authorities will be given greater powers to tackle the crime by issuing penalty notices of between £150 and £400 to those caught in the act of fly-tipping anything from old fridges or sofas to garden waste or rubble.

Introducing fixed penalty notices for fly-tipping is the latest move in a government crackdown on waste crime, which costs the economy millions of pounds a year in clean-up costs, undermines legitimate business, and poses serious risks to our environment.

Environment Minister Rory Stewart said:

It’s beyond me that anyone feels it’s acceptable to simply dump their waste by the road – whether in our cities or our countryside. The new fixed penalty notices will provide local authorities with another tool to crack down on the selfish individuals who blight our neighbourhoods and ruin our beautiful landscape.

The fines will also act as a deterrent and we will continue to work with local authorities to tackle the root cause of the crime and change the mentality of the few who commit it.

While acting as a deterrent, the fixed penalty notices will also save local authorities time and money in punishing offenders as they will provide a quicker alternative to prosecuting fly-tippers through the courts. However, prosecutions will remain an option for local authorities in punishing large scale waste criminals.

The introduction of the fixed penalty notices for fly-tipping was a manifesto commitment and comes ahead of the forthcoming launch of our national litter strategy.

Re: Clackmannanshire cyclist voices frustration over dangerous fly tipping

<jd73aqF7upoU5@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9150&group=uk.rec.cycling#9150

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
tipping
Date: Sun, 1 May 2022 09:48:10 +0000
 by: Spike - Sun, 1 May 2022 09:48 UTC

On 01/05/2022 09:35, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

> Anyone caught illegally dumping waste could soon face an on-the spot penalty of up to £400, the Environment Minister Rory Stewart announced today.

Fly-tipping apples to cyclists rubbish:

Fly-tipping is defined as the ‘illegal deposit of any waste onto land
that does not have a licence to accept it’.

<https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/selfish-cyclists-slammed-for-dropping-litter-after-richmond-park-deer-deaths-a3350046.html>

--
Spike

Re: Clackmannanshire cyclist voices frustration over dangerous fly tipping

<4f0fb609-2ad4-43a8-a184-a0747d6b2215n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9151&group=uk.rec.cycling#9151

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 1 May 2022 02:49:13 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sun, 1 May 2022 09:49 UTC

On Tuesday, April 12, 2022 at 1:17:18 PM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> Dirty drivers yet again.
Fly-tipping has increased by 50% in the last six years, prompting councils to call for much bigger penalties for offenders.

More than a million incidents of illegal rubbish dumping were recorded in the financial year 2018-19, which cost councils £58m to clean up. Most incidents involved household waste being jettisoned from cars or vans by the side of a road.

The maximum fine for fly-tipping is £50,000 and/or a five-year prison sentence. But 83% of the court-imposed fines in the last six years were below £500. Only two people have been given the maximum fine since new guidelines were introduced in 2014.

Councils are handing out more on-the-spot fines and pursuing more prosecutions. Offending vehicles can be seized and in some cases are crushed. The number seized jumped to 207 last year. However, councils have lost 60% of their central government funding since 2010, meaning less money is available for action against fly-tippers.

“Fly-tipping is not only an illegal, inexcusable and ugly blight on society, it is a serious public health risk,” said David Renard, the environment spokesman for the Local Government Association and leader of Swindon borough council. “Councils are determined to crack down on the problem. However, tougher sentences are needed to act as a stronger deterrent to criminals dumping waste.

“This is why we want to work with the government on reviewing sentencing guidelines for fly-tipping, so offenders are given bigger fines for more serious offences, and ensure councils have the funding needed to investigate incidents.”
Dumped paint contaminating the environment
Waste crime is 'the new narcotics', says Environment Agency chief
Read more

The underlying causes of the rising trend in fly-tipping are not known for certain, but council officials say they have seen a rise in “man in a van” incidents, where unlicensed operators collect rubbish then dump it.

Stricter rules at council tips and charges for some refuse disposal may also be a factor. However, an increase in reporting could be responsible for part of the rise, as councils are providing more ways in which members of the public can report rubbish dumping.

Fly-tipping incidents in England fell from 1.3m in 2007-08 to 0.7m in 2012-13, according to government data. But there has been a steady rise since then to 1.1m in 2018-19. Total fines of £1m were levied last year.

Re: Clackmannanshire cyclist voices frustration over dangerous fly tipping

<jd754oF88gbU4@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9155&group=uk.rec.cycling#9155

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
tipping
Date: Sun, 1 May 2022 10:19:04 +0000
 by: Spike - Sun, 1 May 2022 10:19 UTC

On 01/05/2022 09:49, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

> Fly-tipping incidents in England fell from 1.3m in 2007-08 to 0.7m in 2012-13, according to government data. But there has been a steady rise since then to 1.1m in 2018-19. Total fines of £1m were levied last year.

So ninety p per fly tip - cyclists get off cheap.

--
Spike

Re: Clackmannanshire cyclist voices frustration over dangerous fly tipping

<152d114b-d32c-4811-80c6-ab189a495d72n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9170&group=uk.rec.cycling#9170

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 1 May 2022 09:06:12 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sun, 1 May 2022 16:06 UTC

On Tuesday, April 12, 2022 at 1:17:18 PM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> Dirty drivers yet again.

Residents in Redbridge are waking up thankful as a serial fly-tipper has been handled with a fine. Nicu Ilie from Seven Kings was ordered by the courts to pay £1,254 after being found guilty of four counts of fly-tipping over several months.

Ilie illegally dumped piles of rubbish on New Road, a street adjacent to where he lived. With help from local residents and witnesses and Redbridge Enforcement officers, they were able to bring Mr Ilie to justice. Following a detailed investigation by Redbridge Enforcement Officers and statements from three eagle-eyed local witnesses who came forward to describe the fly-tipper and the vehicle used to discard the waste, the council was able to identify Ilie as the culprit.

A warrant for his arrest was issued after Ilie missed his summons to Barkingside Magistrates Court. After moving addresses and returning to Romania for a period, he returned to the UK in March 2022 and was arrested. He appeared at Barkingside Magistrates Court on Tuesday 26 April and pleaded guilty to four charges of fly-tipping. He was sentenced to fines, court and council costs totalling £1,254.

https://www.mylondon.news/news/east-london-news/serial-rubbish-dumper-gets-massive-23828873

Re: Clackmannanshire cyclist voices frustration over dangerous fly tipping

<jd9j38FmhspU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9197&group=uk.rec.cycling#9197

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
tipping
Date: Mon, 2 May 2022 08:29:29 +0000
 by: Spike - Mon, 2 May 2022 08:29 UTC

On 01/05/2022 16:06, swldx...@gmail.com wrote in reply to himself:
> On Tuesday, April 12, 2022 at 1:17:18 PM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

> Residents in Redbridge are waking up thankful as a serial fly-tipper has been handled with a fine. Nicu Ilie from Seven Kings was ordered by the courts to pay £1,254 after being found guilty of four counts of fly-tipping over several months.

> https://www.mylondon.news/news/east-london-news/serial-rubbish-dumper-gets-massive-23828873

The most encouraging part of this story is that at least one person
knows what a fine is.

Some people think that an FPN is a fine, when it isn't.

--
Spike

Re: Clackmannanshire cyclist voices frustration over dangerous fly tipping

<3d7e96bb-dd7b-423a-a37a-603d9b00c1bfn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9204&group=uk.rec.cycling#9204

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 2 May 2022 02:28:49 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Mon, 2 May 2022 09:28 UTC

On Tuesday, April 12, 2022 at 1:17:18 PM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> Dirty drivers yet again.
>Fly-tipping in England and Wales

Fly-tipping is the illegal disposal of waste without a waste management licence and is a wide-ranging offence. It covers dumping of a single black bin bag, up to thousands of tonnes of waste. Fly-tipping can be dangerous, pollutes land and waterways and costs the council tax payer significant amounts of money to clear away. The legislation tackling fly-tipping is complex and can generally be found in the Environmental Protection Act 1990, as amended by the Clean Neighbourhoods and Environment Act 2005.

Fly-tipping legislation deals with all matters relating to 'controlled waste'. 'Controlled waste' means household, industrial and commercial waste including:

General household waste
Larger domestic items, such as fridges and mattresses
Garden refuse
Commercial waste such as builders' rubble, clinical waste and tyres

Fly-tipping is a criminal offence which is committed if controlled waste is:

Deposited, or caused or allowed to be deposited, in a way or place not allowed by a waste management licence
Kept or managed in a way that is likely to cause pollution or harm to human health

It is an offence to transport controlled waste without being registered under Section 1 of the Control of Pollution (Amendment) Act 1989. There is also a Fixed Penalty Notice of up to £300 for failure to produce registration documents on request.

Note that employees of businesses who are caught transporting or handling controlled waste for profit in a vehicle without the business being a registered carrier of controlled waste, cannot use the defence that they were acting under their employers' instructions.

The deliberate mis-description of waste and the abuse of the exemptions regime available to people or companies in the waste disposal business are also offences.

In addition, there is an obligation on any producer of waste to make sure that waste is disposed of properly. This extends to an obligation on householders to take reasonable measures to ensure that their waste is disposed of lawfully, by providing it to a local authority or business that has registered itself with the Environmental Agency. When disposing of waste to anyone other than your local authority, you should ask for the waste disposer's 'waste carrier number' which can be checked on the Environment Agencies Public Register. Anyone breaching this obligation could face prosecution and a fine.
Penalties

The harshness of the penalty for fly-tipping depends on the seriousness of the offence, its impact on the environment and the cost of cleaning and dealing with any resulting pollution.
Households

Householders can face a fine if they do not take reasonable measures to ensure that their waste is lawfully disposed of. Repeated fly-tipping may result in an Anti-Social Behaviour Order (ASBO) being made against an individual in Scotland and Northern Ireland or an injunction.

A fixed penalty of between £150 and £400 can be made against any householder who fails to comply with a notice issued for failing to properly use the facilities available to them to legally dispose of their waste. This includes failing to follow publicised collection arrangements, leaving waste out on the wrong day and/or at the wrong time or in the wrong receptacle. The local authority will need to ensure that collection arrangements have been well publicised and are reasonable. Most local councils provide waste disposal sites and recycling centres where you can safely and legally dispose of unwanted items.
Businesses

Minor offences, such as failing to provide required documentation or failure of a small business to register as a waste carrier, may result in a fixed penalty of between £150 and £400.

A breach of a business's duty of care to ensure that its waste is disposed of properly may result in a fine. Repeated offending may result in an ASBO (Scotland or Northern Ireland), an injunction and/or forfeiture of a vehicle to interrupt or prevent the illegal activities of the business (usually done if the driver of the vehicle could not be identified) and/or the removal of a driving licence.
Vehicles used for fly-tipping

The Environment Agency has the power to seize and dispose of vehicles used for fly-tipping. Local authorities can stop, search and seize vehicles they suspect are being used for fly-tipping (this must be done in the presence of a police officer). Vehicles which have been used for fly-tipping can also be forfeited to cover the local authority's costs for investigation, enforcement and cleaning-up of any pollution caused by the fly-tipping.
Payment of the authority's enforcement costs

The courts may order an offender convicted of fly-tipping to pay costs in relation to the enforcement authority's costs.
What to do about fly-tipped waste

If you discover fly-tipped waste, do not:

Touch the waste - it may contain syringes, broken glass, asbestos, toxic chemicals or other hazardous substances
Disturb the site - there may be evidence that could help identify the fly-tippers and lead to their prosecution

Visually try to work out what the waste consists of and how much there is
Make a note of the day, date and time you saw the tipping, its exact location, what was tipped and how much and whether it is in or near water
Take details (name and address) of any witnesses

If you see someone fly-tipping

Do not approach them
Make a note of how many people are involved and what they look like
Make a note of the details of any vehicles involved including make, colour and registration number if possible

Report fly-tipping

If you have witnessed anyone fly-tipping or know someone who does so, then you should report it to:

Re: Clackmannanshire cyclist voices frustration over dangerous fly tipping

<jd9nv4FnhkjU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9210&group=uk.rec.cycling#9210

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
tipping
Date: Mon, 2 May 2022 09:52:36 +0000
 by: Spike - Mon, 2 May 2022 09:52 UTC

On 02/05/2022 09:28, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

> A fixed penalty of between £150 and £400 can be made against any householder who fails to comply with a notice issued for failing to properly use the facilities available to them to legally dispose of their waste. This includes failing to follow publicised collection arrangements, leaving waste out on the wrong day and/or at the wrong time or in the wrong receptacle.

Fascinating.

My LA says that recycling must be put out before 7am on the day of
collection - which anyone can see is an ambiguous statement. If I, like
all my neighbours, put out the recycling the day before, that could
easily be seen as complying with the LA's statement.

But, recently, we all put out our weekly recycling - and it wasn't
collected for 10 days. The only mention on their website of the matter
referred to 'staff shortages due to illness'.

Was 'the law' broken, or not?

--
Spike

Re: Clackmannanshire cyclist voices frustration over dangerous fly tipping

<71cc33ad-f05e-4da5-8005-7a46353f9282n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9217&group=uk.rec.cycling#9217

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 2 May 2022 04:46:22 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Mon, 2 May 2022 11:46 UTC

On Tuesday, April 12, 2022 at 1:17:18 PM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> Dirty drivers yet again.
Fly-tipping

Fly-tipping is the illegal dumping of waste. We treat fly-tipping very seriously and we will investigate and prosecute anyone caught fly-tipping waste.. We will organise for the removal of fly-tipping from public land. Smaller amounts of waste, less than a bin bag full, are dealt with as litter.

See litter to find out about making a street cleaning request.
Fly-tipping on highway verge, blocking entrance to field.Penalty notice and fine for fly-tipping

We can issue a £200 fixed penalty notice to anyone who we believe has fly-tipped. Prosecution for fly-tipping carries a fine of up to £95,000 (unlimited if taken through the Crown Court) or an offender can be sent to prison or have their vehicle seized.
What to do if you see fly-tipped waste

Report fly-tipping online straight away or contact Customer Services.
If you see someone fly-tipping

Record as much information as possible to help us find the person responsible. Details such as:

Vehicle registration and description
Description of the person or persons seen fly-tipping
A photo, video or dashboard camera footage of the fly-tipping incident

NEVER touch the waste: fly-tipped waste can be dangerous - it may contain syringes, broken glass, asbestos, toxic chemicals or other hazardous substances.

NEVER disturb the site - we need to gather the evidence ourselves to help identify the fly-tippers and lead to their prosecution

NEVER approach anyone you see fly-tipping - they could become violent. If you witness it happening, call the police on 101.

Remember - Don't Put Yourself At Risk!
Fly-tipping on private land

You are responsible for securing your own land. We will not remove waste on private land, however we will investigate it for evidence and take enforcement action if we can. We receive several hundred reports of fly-tipping each year in Eden. They are mostly on public or council-owned land. Removal of waste is expensive, which is why we always try to identify those responsible.

When reporting fly-tipping please say if you believe the land is private and the name or address of the land owner if you know this information.

We close any reports of fly-tipping if the Environmental Enforcement Officers are unable to identify the owner of the land. Officers use local knowledge, notices and the land registry database to try to contact landowners, however in a rural area it is not always possible to identify someone.
Better ways of disposing of unwanted items

If someone can reuse an item:

Advertise on Freegle in Penrith and Eden District.

If you cannot reuse an item:

The household waste recycling centres at Flusco and Kirkby Stephen will recycle or dispose of most items taken there.

Find out about the bulky household waste collection, which will collect up to three large items of furniture for a set fee.

Find out about the appliance collection, which will collect a large electrical item for a set fee.

https://www.eden.gov.uk/your-environment/street-care-and-cleaning/fly-tipping/