The words fly away, the writings remain.

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: Video submissions to police rise after Highway Code changes

SubjectAuthor
* Video submissions to police rise after Highway Code changesswldx...@gmail.com
+* Re: Video submissions to police rise after Highway Code changesSpike
+* Re: Video submissions to police rise after Highway Code changesswldx...@gmail.com
|`- Re: Video submissions to police rise after Highway Code changesSpike
`- Re: Video submissions to police rise after Highway Code changesswldx...@gmail.com

1
Video submissions to police rise after Highway Code changes

<e42f0e9f-4a57-43ca-bd58-839c8ca54af1n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9195&group=uk.rec.cycling#9195

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 1 May 2022 13:57:16 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Video submissions to police rise after Highway Code changes
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sun, 1 May 2022 20:57 UTC

Submissions to police of video evidence of poor driving have risen since the Highway Code was updated at the end of January according to dashcam manufacturer Nextbase, which also operates the portal many forces use to allow people to upload footage.

Meanwhile, Detective Chief Superintendent Andy Cox of Lincolnshire Police, who is the national lead on fatal collision investigation reporting at the National Police Chiefs’ Council (NPCC) says that “the police can’t be everywhere all the time, but the public can be” – and is urging cyclists to use cameras on their helmets or handlebars to catch law-breaking drivers.

Our own Near Miss of the Day feature now runs to more than 750 articles. Not all of the videos we have shown in the series have resulted in action being taken against the driver, but many have – including some cases where footage has been re-examined after being highlighted on road.cc.

Speaking to Telegraph.co.uk (link is external), DCS Cox – who also raises funds through charity runs and bike rides for the road collision victims’ charity RoadPeace – said: “It’s an individual choice, and it’s a choice to report any footage that they may capture.

“But the feedback I have from cyclists and drivers, who find some of the driving standards unacceptable and are deeply frustrated by it, is that they welcome the opportunity to provide footage for us.”

Bryn Brooker of Nextbase told the newspaper that submissions through its portal had risen since changes to the Highway Code – including a Hierarchy of Road Users aimed at protecting the most vulnerable, and motorists being advised to leave at least 1.5 metres when overtaking cyclists – were introduced in late January.

He said that whereas drivers who put other road users at risk “just got away with it,” the availability of footage from dashcams in cars or through videos shot by cyclists mean it is now easier to bring law-breakers to justice.

He added that Nextbase is “really aimed at dangerous drivers, not drivers who made a simple mistake.”

Police forces across the country have faced a funding crisis since the Conservative and Lib Dem coalition – which also scrapped targets to reduce road casualties – came to power in 2010.

As a result, many roads policing units throughout the UK are under-resourced, making third party footage captured by motorists and cyclists an essential tool in combatting poor driving that puts others in danger.

Cycling UK policy director Roger Geffen told Telegraph.co.uk: “I wish cyclists didn't feel the need to have helmet cameras. The world would be a better place if they didn't feel the need to do so.

“If we want to normalise cycling, not just for the battle-hardened, Lycra-wearing stereotype of cyclists but as a normal thing that grandparents and grandchildren alike can do as a way of getting from A to B, then we need to take dangerous drivers off the road.

“If dashcam and helmetcam footage is part of the means to do that, in the absence of proper road policing, then so be it,” he added.

https://road.cc/content/news/video-submissions-police-rise-after-highway-code-changes-292391

Re: Video submissions to police rise after Highway Code changes

<jd9knpFmncqU6@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9203&group=uk.rec.cycling#9203

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 2 May 2022 08:57:29 +0000
 by: Spike - Mon, 2 May 2022 08:57 UTC

On 01/05/2022 20:57, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

> Submissions to police of video evidence of poor driving have risen since the Highway Code was updated at the end of January according to dashcam manufacturer Nextbase, which also operates the portal many forces use to allow people to upload footage.

> <https://road.cc/content/news/video-submissions-police-rise-after-highway-code-changes-292391>

Where do we upload videos of poor cyclist behaviour?

--
Spike

Re: Video submissions to police rise after Highway Code changes

<4cb80cae-07e1-4b04-956d-628ba95caccbn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9208&group=uk.rec.cycling#9208

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 2 May 2022 02:36:14 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Mon, 2 May 2022 09:36 UTC

Fignon's ghost | 49 posts | 3 hours ago
2 likes
It should be read that ALL road cyclists have a responsibility to bring those rule breakers to account.
By doing so, you could be saving the life of a fellow cyclist.
If we cannot hold motorists to account for the terrible consequences their illegal driving has then we may as well stay on our paddleboards.
Your camera footage could mean the difference:
In a guilty verdict.
A criminal conviction.
The payment of personal injury compensation.
The mindset change of ALL those drivers out there who will have to face the fact their actions will no longer only have consequences for OTHER road users.

It's essential that we help our underfunded road traffic police and put forward evidence to arrest irresponsible driving.

If it's not today. It could be you on that future ride that succumbs to that moment of breathtaking motoring ignorance. It could be you...

Road cyclist. It's not about weight, cost or tedium.
That's why YOU always wear a camera. Front and back!

WELL SAID.

Re: Video submissions to police rise after Highway Code changes

<jd9om5FniufU3@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9213&group=uk.rec.cycling#9213

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 2 May 2022 10:04:54 +0000
 by: Spike - Mon, 2 May 2022 10:04 UTC

On 02/05/2022 09:36, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> Fignon's ghost | 49 posts | 3 hours ago
> 2 likes

> It should be read that ALL road users have a responsibility to bring those rule breakers to account.
> By doing so, you could be saving the life of a fellow road user.
> If we cannot hold such users to account for the terrible consequences their illegal road use has, then we may as well stay on our paddleboards.
> Your camera footage could mean the difference:
> In a guilty verdict.
> A criminal conviction.
> The payment of personal injury compensation.
> The mindset change of ALL those road users out there who will have to face the fact their actions will no longer only have consequences for OTHER road users.

> It's essential that we help our underfunded road traffic police and put forward evidence to arrest irresponsible road use.

> If it's not today. It could be you on that future trip that succumbs to that moment of breathtaking road-user ignorance. It could be you...

> Road user. It's not about weight, cost or tedium.

> That's why YOU always use a camera. Front and back!

> WELL SAID.

I fixed his post for him.

--
Spike

Re: Video submissions to police rise after Highway Code changes

<jd9qfdFo0loU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9216&group=uk.rec.cycling#9216

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 2 May 2022 11:35:26 +0100
 by: JNugent - Mon, 2 May 2022 10:35 UTC

On 02/05/2022 09:57 am, Spike wrote:

> On 01/05/2022 20:57, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
>
>> Submissions to police of video evidence of poor driving have risen since the Highway Code was updated at the end of January according to dashcam manufacturer Nextbase, which also operates the portal many forces use to allow people to upload footage.
>
>> <https://road.cc/content/news/video-submissions-police-rise-after-highway-code-changes-292391>
>
> Where do we upload videos of poor cyclist behaviour?

Is there a server big enough?

Re: Video submissions to police rise after Highway Code changes

<b6d4572c-4354-4e82-8c31-bb1d441880a4n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9221&group=uk.rec.cycling#9221

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 2 May 2022 04:54:27 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Mon, 2 May 2022 11:54 UTC

AlsoSomniloquism | 3114 posts | 15 hours ago
6 likes
Although I potentially have 5-6 on a 25 mile ride. Still need to review them all to see how they come out but I was obviously invisible today as had 3 people pull out on my as I'm travelling at 20+mph and almost on top of them. Also one phone user but not sure if helmet cam caught that one (in a sporty Audi with "3d" plates natch), one speeder doing at least 30mph in a 20, and one woman who decided last second (as is she had already turned almost into it) that she didn't want to go right at the lights but straight on and almost took out the other car who knew which direction they were going.

Did have a MGIF as well but they did give me plenty of room even if the manouvre was pointless as the lights ahead were red.