Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing. -- Redd Foxx

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Interesting boiler wiring issue

SubjectAuthor
* Interesting boiler wiring issueSargan
+* Re: Interesting boiler wiring issuealan_m
|`* Re: Interesting boiler wiring issueSargan
| `* Re: Interesting boiler wiring issueRoger Mills
|  `* Re: Interesting boiler wiring issueSargan
|   `* Re: Interesting boiler wiring issueDave Plowman (News)
|    `- Re: Interesting boiler wiring issueSargan
`* Re: Interesting boiler wiring issueDave Plowman (News)
 `* Re: Interesting boiler wiring issueSargan
  +- Re: Interesting boiler wiring issueDave Plowman (News)
  `* Re: Interesting boiler wiring issueRJH
   `- Re: Interesting boiler wiring issueDave Plowman (News)

1
Interesting boiler wiring issue

<tuvk13$1du03$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=92226&group=uk.d-i-y#92226

From: rick_hug...@gmx.com (Sargan)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Interesting boiler wiring issue
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2023 17:35:31 +0000
 by: Sargan - Thu, 16 Mar 2023 17:35 UTC

Since my boiler was replaced (to Viessmannn Vitodens 100-W) have been
having an intermittent fault, boiler would shut down and a pair of
alarms .... over temp, and low voltage. Sometimes 2 or 3 weeks with no
issue then, 5 or 6 times in a day ?

Fun to run in a new 5 core cable to boiler all overhead, but got it done.

Viessmann connected it at the boiler .... initiated call for heat from
system .,.. run up OK, cancelled call for heat ..... RCD tripped.

Repeated - and the same result each time.

After some investigation found the L,N,E which were the feed for the
previous BAXI, was supposed to have been used for this boiler, the
installers though decided only to connect the L (to perform switched
live) They needed permanent live so it took that from nearby mains
outlet, and also used N from that.

The issue was traced to System controls (switched Live) being on one RCD
and the main socket (ring main) was on another RCD ..... the crossed
Neutrals were causing the RCD's to trip.

Must have been just on edge of N imbalance threshold as was
intermittent, untill pump overrun added.

If we had not added in the pump overrun and made this a repeatable fault
could have been chasing this for months.

Luckily had run in a new 5 core cable so could provide permanent L&N as
well as pump overrun form my system, and remove the local socket
permanent live.

Fair play to Viessmann - they knew it was not a boiler fault, but were
prepared to work with me to find the cause, installer had just passed
the issue direct to Viessmann.

Re: Interesting boiler wiring issue

<k7jm4uFqdenU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=92358&group=uk.d-i-y#92358

From: jun...@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Interesting boiler wiring issue
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2023 17:25:50 +0000
 by: alan_m - Fri, 17 Mar 2023 17:25 UTC

On 16/03/2023 17:35, Sargan wrote:

> If we had not added in the pump overrun and made this a repeatable fault
> could have been chasing this for months.

How to wire an intermittent boiler suicide plug

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQ_XKCf5NTQ

Re: Interesting boiler wiring issue

<tv2c6b$21evr$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=92370&group=uk.d-i-y#92370

From: rick_hug...@gmx.com (Sargan)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2023 18:40:11 +0000
 by: Sargan - Fri, 17 Mar 2023 18:40 UTC

On 17/03/2023 17:25, alan_m wrote:
> On 16/03/2023 17:35, Sargan wrote:
>
>> If we had not added in the pump overrun and made this a repeatable
>> fault could have been chasing this for months.
>

> How to wire an intermittent boiler suicide plug
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQ_XKCf5NTQ

Yep watched that - almost identical scenario.

Re: Interesting boiler wiring issue

<k7mc9kF8h0hU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=92440&group=uk.d-i-y#92440

From: mills37....@gmail.com (Roger Mills)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2023 17:56:04 +0000
 by: Roger Mills - Sat, 18 Mar 2023 17:56 UTC

On 17/03/2023 18:40, Sargan wrote:
> On 17/03/2023 17:25, alan_m wrote:
>> On 16/03/2023 17:35, Sargan wrote:
>>
>>> If we had not added in the pump overrun and made this a repeatable
>>> fault could have been chasing this for months.
>>

>> How to wire an intermittent boiler suicide plug
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQ_XKCf5NTQ
>>

> Yep watched that - almost identical scenario.

I suppose that if the electrician involved was a general domestic
electrician and not one well versed in heating system wiring, it's
perhaps not unreasonable that he took a long time to find the problem
and then declared that he had not seen anything like it before.

But I would like to think that a few us in this NG might have got to the
bottom of it a bit sooner.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Re: Interesting boiler wiring issue

<tvc7g7$3h1c$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=92644&group=uk.d-i-y#92644

From: rick_hug...@gmx.com (Sargan)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2023 12:21:27 +0000
 by: Sargan - Tue, 21 Mar 2023 12:21 UTC

On 18/03/2023 17:56, Roger Mills wrote:

> I suppose that if the electrician involved was a general domestic
> electrician and not one well versed in heating system wiring, it's
> perhaps not unreasonable that he took a long time to find the problem
> and then declared that he had not seen anything like it before.
>
> But I would like to think that a few us in this NG might have got to the
> bottom of it a bit sooner.

There was no electrician such just the Viessmann Heating Engineer.

The issue was it did not become a repeatable fault until the boiler
overrun was added, then the fault was found reasonably quickly.
Boiler installers fault for not connecting in the original neutral,
which would probably have shown hard fault from the beginning.

Re: Interesting boiler wiring issue

<5a88a73ba4dave@davenoise.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=92669&group=uk.d-i-y#92669

From: dav...@davenoise.co.uk (Dave Plowman (News))
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2023 14:19:38 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Dave Plowman (News) - Tue, 21 Mar 2023 14:19 UTC

In article <tvc7g7$3h1c$1@dont-email.me>,
Sargan <rick_hughes@gmx.com> wrote:
> On 18/03/2023 17:56, Roger Mills wrote:

> > I suppose that if the electrician involved was a general domestic
> > electrician and not one well versed in heating system wiring, it's
> > perhaps not unreasonable that he took a long time to find the problem
> > and then declared that he had not seen anything like it before.
> >
> > But I would like to think that a few us in this NG might have got to the
> > bottom of it a bit sooner.

> There was no electrician such just the Viessmann Heating Engineer.

> The issue was it did not become a repeatable fault until the boiler
> overrun was added, then the fault was found reasonably quickly.
> Boiler installers fault for not connecting in the original neutral,
> which would probably have shown hard fault from the beginning.

At least they were gas safe. Not having a clue about the electric side
doesn't matter, as electricity can't kill.

--
*All generalizations are false.

Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Re: Interesting boiler wiring issue

<5a88a79d87dave@davenoise.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=92670&group=uk.d-i-y#92670

From: dav...@davenoise.co.uk (Dave Plowman (News))
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2023 14:23:48 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Dave Plowman (News) - Tue, 21 Mar 2023 14:23 UTC

In article <tuvk13$1du03$1@dont-email.me>,
Sargan <rick_hughes@gmx.com> wrote:
> Fair play to Viessmann - they knew it was not a boiler fault, but were
> prepared to work with me to find the cause, installer had just passed
> the issue direct to Viessmann.

I self installed a 200-w system boiler. Viessmann technical were very good
indeed with help. Mainly with the (then) near unfathomable weather
compensation software.

--
*Life is hard; then you nap

Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Re: Interesting boiler wiring issue

<tvcfaf$5038$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=92674&group=uk.d-i-y#92674

From: rick_hug...@gmx.com (Sargan)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2023 14:34:55 +0000
 by: Sargan - Tue, 21 Mar 2023 14:34 UTC

> In article <tvc7g7$3h1c$1@dont-email.me>,
> Sargan <rick_hughes@gmx.com> wrote:
>> On 18/03/2023 17:56, Roger Mills wrote:
>

>>> I suppose that if the electrician involved was a general domestic
>>> electrician and not one well versed in heating system wiring, it's
>>> perhaps not unreasonable that he took a long time to find the problem
>>> and then declared that he had not seen anything like it before.
>>>
>>> But I would like to think that a few us in this NG might have got to the
>>> bottom of it a bit sooner.
>
>> There was no electrician such just the Viessmann Heating Engineer.
>
>> The issue was it did not become a repeatable fault until the boiler
>> overrun was added, then the fault was found reasonably quickly.
>> Boiler installers fault for not connecting in the original neutral,
>> which would probably have shown hard fault from the beginning.
>
> At least they were gas safe. Not having a clue about the electric side
> doesn't matter, as electricity can't kill.

:-)

Re: Interesting boiler wiring issue

<tvcfd4$5037$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=92675&group=uk.d-i-y#92675

From: rick_hug...@gmx.com (Sargan)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2023 14:36:19 +0000
 by: Sargan - Tue, 21 Mar 2023 14:36 UTC

> In article <tuvk13$1du03$1@dont-email.me>,
> Sargan <rick_hughes@gmx.com> wrote:
>> Fair play to Viessmann - they knew it was not a boiler fault, but were
>> prepared to work with me to find the cause, installer had just passed
>> the issue direct to Viessmann.
>
> I self installed a 200-w system boiler. Viessmann technical were very good
> indeed with help. Mainly with the (then) near unfathomable weather
> compensation software.

How did you get on with the compensator - the engineer was suggesting
might be worth getting, but as boiler is for a Thermal store can't see
how its going to really help.

Re: Interesting boiler wiring issue

<5a88c12cc8dave@davenoise.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=92761&group=uk.d-i-y#92761

From: dav...@davenoise.co.uk (Dave Plowman (News))
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2023 19:02:59 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Dave Plowman (News) - Tue, 21 Mar 2023 19:02 UTC

In article <tvcfd4$5037$1@dont-email.me>,
Sargan <rick_hughes@gmx.com> wrote:
> On 21/03/2023 14:23, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
> > In article <tuvk13$1du03$1@dont-email.me>,
> > Sargan <rick_hughes@gmx.com> wrote:
> >> Fair play to Viessmann - they knew it was not a boiler fault, but were
> >> prepared to work with me to find the cause, installer had just passed
> >> the issue direct to Viessmann.
> >
> > I self installed a 200-w system boiler. Viessmann technical were very good
> > indeed with help. Mainly with the (then) near unfathomable weather
> > compensation software.
> >
> How did you get on with the compensator - the engineer was suggesting
> might be worth getting, but as boiler is for a Thermal store can't see
> how its going to really help.

Pretty happy with it on the whole. But I'm still not certain the software
is set spot on.

--
*CAN VEGETARIANS EAT ANIMAL CRACKERS?

Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Re: Interesting boiler wiring issue

<tvd01m$82sh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=92765&group=uk.d-i-y#92765

From: patchmo...@gmx.com (RJH)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2023 19:20:22 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RJH - Tue, 21 Mar 2023 19:20 UTC

On 21 Mar 2023 at 14:36:19 GMT, Sargan wrote:

> On 21/03/2023 14:23, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
>> In article <tuvk13$1du03$1@dont-email.me>,
>> Sargan <rick_hughes@gmx.com> wrote:
>>> Fair play to Viessmann - they knew it was not a boiler fault, but were
>>> prepared to work with me to find the cause, installer had just passed
>>> the issue direct to Viessmann.
>>
>> I self installed a 200-w system boiler. Viessmann technical were very good
>> indeed with help. Mainly with the (then) near unfathomable weather
>> compensation software.
>>
> How did you get on with the compensator - the engineer was suggesting
> might be worth getting, but as boiler is for a Thermal store can't see
> how its going to really help.

I've just disconnected mine (Ideal boiler). The gradient is such that the rads
get nowhere hot enough when outside temps are above c.10C
--
Cheers, Rob, Sheffield UK

Re: Interesting boiler wiring issue

<5a89307eb7dave@davenoise.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=92864&group=uk.d-i-y#92864

From: dav...@davenoise.co.uk (Dave Plowman (News))
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2023 15:18:54 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Dave Plowman (News) - Wed, 22 Mar 2023 15:18 UTC

In article <tvd01m$82sh$1@dont-email.me>,
RJH <patchmoney@gmx.com> wrote:
> On 21 Mar 2023 at 14:36:19 GMT, Sargan wrote:

> > On 21/03/2023 14:23, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
> >>
> >> I self installed a 200-w system boiler. Viessmann technical were very good
> >> indeed with help. Mainly with the (then) near unfathomable weather
> >> compensation software.
> >>
> > How did you get on with the compensator - the engineer was suggesting
> > might be worth getting, but as boiler is for a Thermal store can't see
> > how its going to really help.

> I've just disconnected mine (Ideal boiler). The gradient is such that the rads
> get nowhere hot enough when outside temps are above c.10C

My boiler is in the bathroom. I wanted the ability to control the basics
from the kitchen. Things like selecting hot water only - or using the
party mode to keep it on past normal switch off time.

Ideally, the programmer built into the boiler could have been moved and
the leads extended to allow this. But no - I had to fit a zone controller.
With nothing zoned. But that does duplicate all the facilities I wanted
handy. A side effect is altering the temperature setting on that 'trims'
the overall house temperature. Turning that full up does help on the
coldest day.

--
*In "Casablanca", Humphrey Bogart never said "Play it again, Sam" *