From: max...@val.morgan (Max)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Subject: IPv6
Date: Sun, 30 May 2021 21:32:18 +1000
 by: Max - Sun, 30 May 2021 11:32 UTC

When will IPv6 start being used? Currently the internet is mainly IPv4.

I heard that part of an IPv6 address is derived from the MAC address,
which means that your IP address could pin point the exact device you
are using.

Bit of a worry if you are trying to keep private on the internet.

Re: IPv6

<vmncoh-pqm.ln1@paranoia.mcleod-schmidt.id.au>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=914&group=aus.computers#914

From: grschm...@acm.org (Gary R. Schmidt)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Subject: Re: IPv6
Date: Mon, 31 May 2021 01:31:11 +1000
 by: Gary R. Schmidt - Sun, 30 May 2021 15:31 UTC

On 30/05/2021 21:32, Max wrote:
> When will IPv6 start being used?  Currently the internet is mainly IPv4.
>
> I heard that part of an IPv6 address is derived from the MAC address,
> which means that your IP address could pin point the exact device you
> are using.
>
> Bit of a worry if you are trying to keep private on the internet.

It's already in use, all over the world.

It's just that we don't notice it here in Oz because most RSPs are still
using IPv4, and unless you make an effort to use IPv6 addresses it just
doesn't happen.

Although the MAC address thingie is sort of bogus - yes, IPv6 addresses
/can/ be generated using the MAC address of the network device - but MAC
addresses can be determined via IPv4 anyway, so you'll be no more or
less public than you were.

Cheers,
Gary B-)

--
Waiting for a new signature to suggest itself...

Re: IPv6

<vq88bgp614s7k2c92n7299ri3r0s1473ur@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=916&group=aus.computers#916

From: pet...@gmail.com (Petzl)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Mon, 31 May 2021 09:45:25 +1000
 by: Petzl - Sun, 30 May 2021 23:45 UTC

On Sun, 30 May 2021 21:32:18 +1000, Max <max@val.morgan> wrote:

>When will IPv6 start being used? Currently the internet is mainly IPv4.
>
>I heard that part of an IPv6 address is derived from the MAC address,
>which means that your IP address could pin point the exact device you
>are using.
>
>Bit of a worry if you are trying to keep private on the internet.

I just turn off IPv6 for years no troubles
--
Petzl
ALWAYS Vote oligarchies Coalition, Labor, "Greens"

Re: IPv6

<s918so$1g9e$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=919&group=aus.computers#919

From: max...@val.morgan (Max)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Mon, 31 May 2021 09:59:21 +1000
 by: Max - Sun, 30 May 2021 23:59 UTC

On 31/05/2021 1:31 am, Gary R. Schmidt wrote:
> On 30/05/2021 21:32, Max wrote:
>> When will IPv6 start being used?  Currently the internet is mainly IPv4.
>>
>> I heard that part of an IPv6 address is derived from the MAC address,
>> which means that your IP address could pin point the exact device you
>> are using.
>>
>> Bit of a worry if you are trying to keep private on the internet.
>
> It's already in use, all over the world.
>
> It's just that we don't notice it here in Oz because most RSPs are still
> using IPv4, and unless you make an effort to use IPv6 addresses it just
> doesn't happen.

How long do you think it will take for IPv6 to become widespread in
Australia?

> Although the MAC address thingie is sort of bogus - yes, IPv6 addresses
> /can/ be generated using the MAC address of the network device - but MAC
> addresses can be determined via IPv4 anyway, so you'll be no more or
> less public than you were.

I thought with IPv4 you can only get the MAC address of IP addresses in
your local network, by using ARP. You can't get the MAC address of an
IP Address located on the internet. But with IPv6 you would be able to.

Re: IPv6

<s91okl$lj7$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=923&group=aus.computers#923

From: max...@val.morgan (Max)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Mon, 31 May 2021 14:28:02 +1000
 by: Max - Mon, 31 May 2021 04:28 UTC

On 31/05/2021 9:59 am, Max wrote:
> On 31/05/2021 1:31 am, Gary R. Schmidt wrote:
>> On 30/05/2021 21:32, Max wrote:
>>> When will IPv6 start being used?  Currently the internet is mainly IPv4.
>>>
>>> I heard that part of an IPv6 address is derived from the MAC address,
>>> which means that your IP address could pin point the exact device you
>>> are using.
>>>
>>> Bit of a worry if you are trying to keep private on the internet.
>>
>> It's already in use, all over the world.
>>
>> It's just that we don't notice it here in Oz because most RSPs are
>> still using IPv4, and unless you make an effort to use IPv6 addresses
>> it just doesn't happen.
>>

> How long do you think it will take for IPv6 to become widespread in
> Australia?
>

>> Although the MAC address thingie is sort of bogus - yes, IPv6
>> addresses /can/ be generated using the MAC address of the network
>> device - but MAC addresses can be determined via IPv4 anyway, so
>> you'll be no more or less public than you were.
>>

> I thought with IPv4 you can only get the MAC address of IP addresses in
> your local network, by using ARP.  You can't get the MAC address of an
> IP Address located on the internet.  But with IPv6 you would be able to.

I've done some further reading and apparently from Windows Vista
onwards, a random number is used instead of the MAC address to form that
part of the IPv6 address.

It is called Privacy Extensions for SLAAC. I assume all mobile phones
nowadays would use this as well.