A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. -- Winston Churchill

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: Near Miss of the Day 760: “Idiot lorry driver” nearly takes out five cyclists

SubjectAuthor
* Near Miss of the Day 760: “Idiot lorry driver” nswldx...@gmail.com
+- Re: Near Miss of the Day 760: “Idiot lorry driverSpike
+* Re: Near Miss of the Day 760: “Idiot lorry driverswldx...@gmail.com
|+- Re: Near Miss of the Day 760: “Idiot lorry drJNugent
|`- One solution to avoiding danger...Spike
+* Re: Near Miss of the Day 760: “Idiot lorry driverswldx...@gmail.com
|`- Re: Near Miss of the Day 760: “Idiot lorry driverSpike
+* Re: Near Miss of the Day 760: “Idiot lorry driverswldx...@gmail.com
|`- Re: Near Miss of the Day 760: “Idiot lorry driverSpike
`* Re: Near Miss of the Day 760: “Idiot lorryRob Morley
 `- Re: Near Miss of the Day 760: “Idiot lorry driverswldx...@gmail.com

1
Near Miss of the Day 760: “Idiot lorry driver” nearly takes out five cyclists

<d411cdc0-73e3-481c-b9f1-21f347f00902n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9252&group=uk.rec.cycling#9252

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 3 May 2022 09:15:48 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Near_Miss_of_the_Day_760:_“Idiot_lorry_driver”_n
early_takes_out_five_cyclists
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Tue, 3 May 2022 16:15 UTC

An “idiot lorry driver” almost knocked five cyclists from their bikes in our latest Near Miss of the Day video.

It was filmed at Devoran, Truro in Cornwall by road.cc reader Wayne, who told us: “The lorry driver decided to overtake approaching road furniture then cuts in and is within 50 millimetres of the lead cyclist,” he told us.

“This has been reported to the police and the haulage company pending response, I am hoping that the driver is reprimanded because this is not to be tolerated.”

https://road.cc/content/news/nmotd-760-hgv-driver-nearly-takes-out-five-cyclists-292445

Re: Near Miss of the Day 760: “Idiot lorry driver” nearly takes out five cyclists

<jdd6llFdaefU3@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9256&group=uk.rec.cycling#9256

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re:_Near_Miss_of_the_Day_760:_“Idiot_lorry_driver
”_nearly_takes_out_five_cyclists
Date: Tue, 3 May 2022 17:21:58 +0000
 by: Spike - Tue, 3 May 2022 17:21 UTC

On 03/05/2022 16:15, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

> An “idiot lorry driver” almost knocked five cyclists from their bikes in our latest Near Miss of the Day video.

> It was filmed at Devoran, Truro in Cornwall by road.cc reader Wayne, who told us: “The lorry driver decided to overtake approaching road furniture then cuts in and is within 50 millimetres of the lead cyclist,” he told us.

> “This has been reported to the police and the haulage company pending response, I am hoping that the driver is reprimanded because this is not to be tolerated.”

><https://road.cc/content/news/nmotd-760-hgv-driver-nearly-takes-out-five-cyclists-292445>

Who measured the 50mm, and what with?

--
Spike

Re: Near Miss of the Day 760: “Idiot lorry driver” nearly takes out five cyclists

<7d783174-4013-4a39-80c3-1c8240126ff1n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9257&group=uk.rec.cycling#9257

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 3 May 2022 10:27:56 -0700 (PDT)
”_nearly_takes_out_five_cyclists
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Tue, 3 May 2022 17:27 UTC

ndel Harris replied to Secret_squirrel | 2301 posts | 4 hours ago
2 likes
Secret_squirrel wrote:

Wasnt every pass in that clip pretty bad?

That car behind the lorry, driving at a less than a 0.5 second following distance into a cloud of dust and missing the traffic island seemingly by inches...I've always been more worried that I'll check out not from a close pass, terrifying as they can be, but from some weapon like that taking a stupid risk, clipping another car or road furniture and rebounding across the road over me.

Re: Near Miss of the Day 760: “Idiot lorry driver” nearly takes out five cyclists

<jdeph6FmemjU4@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9266&group=uk.rec.cycling#9266

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re:_Near_Miss_of_the_Day_760:_“Idiot_lorry_dr
iver”_nearly_takes_out_five_cyclists
Date: Wed, 4 May 2022 08:49:58 +0100
 by: JNugent - Wed, 4 May 2022 07:49 UTC

> ndel Harris replied to Secret_squirrel | 2301 posts | 4 hours ago
> 2 likes
>
> Secret_squirrel wrote:
>
> Wasnt every pass in that clip pretty bad?
>
> That car behind the lorry, driving at a less than a 0.5 second following distance into a cloud of dust and missing the traffic island seemingly by inches...I've always been more worried that I'll check out not from a close pass, terrifying as they can be, but from some weapon like that taking a stupid risk, clipping another car or road furniture and rebounding across the road over me.

Try not to be so paranoid.

The lorry driver will probably never recognise you after all this time.

One solution to avoiding danger...

<jdeqk0FmmjgU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9269&group=uk.rec.cycling#9269

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: One solution to avoiding danger...
Date: Wed, 4 May 2022 08:08:33 +0000
 by: Spike - Wed, 4 May 2022 08:08 UTC

> ndel Harris replied to Secret_squirrel | 2301 posts | 4 hours ago

>> I've always been more worried that I'll check out not from a close pass, terrifying as they can be, but from some weapon like that taking a stupid risk, clipping another car or road furniture and rebounding across the road over me.

Solution to your avoiding danger: Don't get out of bed. HTH

--
Spike

Re: Near Miss of the Day 760: “Idiot lorry driver” nearly takes out five cyclists

<2efe126b-ff4e-4f3c-bff8-9798ea1e39c1n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9279&group=uk.rec.cycling#9279

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 4 May 2022 02:47:00 -0700 (PDT)
”_nearly_takes_out_five_cyclists
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Wed, 4 May 2022 09:47 UTC

Balthazar | 43 posts | 14 hours ago
8 likes
I watched this, wincing. I've ridden this road for decades, though I invariably try to avoid this specific section. The only alternative is a hilly detour through a couple of villages that adds some distance and a fair amount more altitude.

A couple of hundred metres beyond this incident is a roundabout at which point the main road continues with two lanes and dual carriageway. Presumably the driver knew this.

Whenever I've found myself riding here, even though it's flat and only a mile or so long, and I'm usually going flat out on purpose so at least 20mph for my little spindles, I invariably experience angry close passes. Like you lot - I've had a lifetime of this stuff, everywhere.

I've heard plenty of local people who commute in cars between Falmouth and Truro complaining about cyclists here and commiserating with each other, in their shared experience of being incovenienced daily. I think it's created a micro-culture where people in vehicles arrive at this road prepped for intolerance and aggression. Obviously those micro-cultures are everywhere. It's pretty terrifying.

> https://road.cc/content/news/nmotd-760-hgv-driver-nearly-takes-out-five-cyclists-292445

Re: Near Miss of the Day 760: “Idiot lorry driver” nearly takes out five cyclists

<jdf1n2FnudcU4@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9285&group=uk.rec.cycling#9285

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
”_nearly_takes_out_five_cyclists
Date: Wed, 4 May 2022 10:09:40 +0000
 by: Spike - Wed, 4 May 2022 10:09 UTC

On 04/05/2022 09:47, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> Balthazar | 43 posts | 14 hours ago
> 8 likes

> I watched this, wincing. I've ridden this road for decades, though I invariably try to avoid this specific section. The only alternative is a hilly detour through a couple of villages that adds some distance and a fair amount more altitude.

> A couple of hundred metres beyond this incident is a roundabout at which point the main road continues with two lanes and dual carriageway. Presumably the driver knew this.

> Whenever I've found myself riding here, even though it's flat and only a mile or so long, and I'm usually going flat out on purpose so at least 20mph for my little spindles, I invariably experience angry close passes. Like you lot - I've had a lifetime of this stuff, everywhere.

> I've heard plenty of local people who commute in cars between Falmouth and Truro complaining about cyclists here and commiserating with each other, in their shared experience of being incovenienced daily. I think it's created a micro-culture where people in vehicles arrive at this road prepped for intolerance and aggression. Obviously those micro-cultures are everywhere. It's pretty terrifying.

>> https://road.cc/content/news/nmotd-760-hgv-driver-nearly-takes-out-five-cyclists-292445

Fascinating. The complainer had already mentioned a solution to the
'problem' at the start of his piece,

--
Spike

Re: Near Miss of the Day 760: “Idiot lorry driver” nearly takes out five cyclists

<c36e61c6-3c6a-4d6a-ae13-f01d96f0e4b1n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9291&group=uk.rec.cycling#9291

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 4 May 2022 05:16:11 -0700 (PDT)
”_nearly_takes_out_five_cyclists
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Wed, 4 May 2022 12:16 UTC

I'm with you on that one, unfortunately in a growing number of cases we are living in a world where people need to be spoon fed information all the time because they are unwilling or unable to think clearly for themselves.

The number of times roads are labelled as bad or dangerous just because drivers can't pay attention to the road markings and signs.

Typical example where I grew up there was a particular right angled corner on an NSL road where there have been pretty regular incidents of drivers binning it into a field. My earliest memory of the corner had the black and white chevron signs and SLOW written on the road. Then the council had to add a warning sign about 100m further back, then they added the non-slip/rough surface to the road, then came the illuminated chevron signs which flashed when a car approached, then they added another warning sign about 200m back from the junction and a 50mph limit..... It won't be long til it gets reduced to a 40mph speed limit.

Everyone say's it's a bad section of road but in reality its just idiots who's ambition outweighs their ability to drive.

I've not looked yet but you can guarantee on the Facebook comment section for this clip it will be all about the fact that the cyclists are dressed in black and that they are riding as a group, that the cyclists shouldn't be riding on an NSL road etc etc etc.

It's going to make for depressing reading on social media.

Re: Near Miss of the Day 760: “Idiot lorry driver” nearly takes out five cyclists

<20220504170904.7c09291a@Mars>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9302&group=uk.rec.cycling#9302

From: nos...@ntlworld.com (Rob Morley)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Near Miss of the Day 760: “Idiot lorry
driver” nearly takes out five cyclists
Date: Wed, 4 May 2022 17:09:04 +0100
H2J3@n:NH)h+HQQv-jP3EYU|.*HZ6q6nwd5N7uOFIr+@
 by: Rob Morley - Wed, 4 May 2022 16:09 UTC

On Tue, 3 May 2022 09:15:48 -0700 (PDT)
"swldx...@gmail.com" <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:

> An “idiot lorry driver” almost knocked five cyclists from their bikes
> in our latest Near Miss of the Day video.
>
> It was filmed at Devoran, Truro in Cornwall by road.cc reader Wayne,
> who told us: “The lorry driver decided to overtake approaching road
> furniture then cuts in and is within 50 millimetres of the lead
> cyclist,” he told us.
>
> “This has been reported to the police and the haulage company pending
> response, I am hoping that the driver is reprimanded because this is
> not to be tolerated.”
>
> https://road.cc/content/news/nmotd-760-hgv-driver-nearly-takes-out-five-cyclists-292445

That's very close to where I nearly went under the wheels of badly
driven truck. The road has since been widened and straightened, clearly
the truck drivers' incompetence has expanded to fill the space created
by the road improvements. That seems to be a thing in road safety;
airbags, crumple zones, ABS and impact bars have made car occupants
safer, so they are happy to take greater risks, and that increases the
risk for anyone outside the car.

Re: Near Miss of the Day 760: “Idiot lorry driver” nearly takes out five cyclists

<jdhdndF78pqU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9308&group=uk.rec.cycling#9308

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
”_nearly_takes_out_five_cyclists
Date: Thu, 5 May 2022 07:46:56 +0000
 by: Spike - Thu, 5 May 2022 07:46 UTC

On 04/05/2022 12:16, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

> I'm with you on that one, unfortunately in a growing number of cases we are living in a world where people need to be spoon fed information all the time because they are unwilling or unable to think clearly for themselves.

[...]

> It's going to make for depressing reading on social media.

Stop reading it, then, and get a life.

--
Spike

Re: Near Miss of the Day 760: “Idiot lorry driver” nearly takes out five cyclists

<67172b68-b7eb-4fa1-8434-21658acb00c7n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9315&group=uk.rec.cycling#9315

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 5 May 2022 02:59:38 -0700 (PDT)
”_nearly_takes_out_five_cyclists
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Thu, 5 May 2022 09:59 UTC

On Wednesday, May 4, 2022 at 5:09:07 PM UTC+1, Rob Morley wrote:
> On Tue, 3 May 2022 09:15:48 -0700 (PDT)
> "swldx...@gmail.com" <swldx...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > An “idiot lorry driver” almost knocked five cyclists from their bikes
> > in our latest Near Miss of the Day video.
> >
> > It was filmed at Devoran, Truro in Cornwall by road.cc reader Wayne,
> > who told us: “The lorry driver decided to overtake approaching road
> > furniture then cuts in and is within 50 millimetres of the lead
> > cyclist,” he told us.
> >
> > “This has been reported to the police and the haulage company pending
> > response, I am hoping that the driver is reprimanded because this is
> > not to be tolerated.”
> >
> > https://road.cc/content/news/nmotd-760-hgv-driver-nearly-takes-out-five-cyclists-292445
> That's very close to where I nearly went under the wheels of badly
> driven truck. The road has since been widened and straightened, clearly
> the truck drivers' incompetence has expanded to fill the space created
> by the road improvements. That seems to be a thing in road safety;
> airbags, crumple zones, ABS and impact bars have made car occupants
> safer, so they are happy to take greater risks, and that increases the
> risk for anyone outside the car.

Yikes - glad things turned out OK. Lots of idiots about out there.