From: i.love.s...@spam.com (SH)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: Buffalo Terastation Rack mount NAS with 4 off 500 GB SATA drives
Date: Sun, 16 May 2021 17:11:25 +0100
 by: SH - Sun, 16 May 2021 16:11 UTC

Right I have one of these for disposal....

which is likely to be more profitable on Gumtree or Ebay?

Sell the whole thing complete?

or

Sell the 500 GB drives separately and the now emply terasation (this
unit can take up to 4 off 2TB drives)

Re: Buffalo Terastation Rack mount NAS with 4 off 500 GB SATA drives

<yqf*jEfky@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=928&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#928

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 16 May 2021 19:02:12 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Sun, 16 May 2021 18:02 UTC

SH <i.love.spam@spam.com> wrote:
> Right I have one of these for disposal....
>
> which is likely to be more profitable on Gumtree or Ebay?

Go onto ebay sold listings and see what they go for in each state. My guess
would be that 3.5" 500GB aren't worth much, especially with postage and fees
taken into account. 2.5" maybe a bit more.

You might find selling them with the unit gives a slight price uplift over
the bare unit, and fewer postage hassles.

Are you sure 2TB is the max drive size though? Sometimes the max on the spec
is just the largest drive available at the time. It would be more useful as
a NAS if it could take more than a single recent drive is capable of.

Theo

Re: Buffalo Terastation Rack mount NAS with 4 off 500 GB SATA drives

<s7rnb2$782$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=929&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#929

From: i.love.s...@spam.com (SH)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Sun, 16 May 2021 19:12:51 +0100
 by: SH - Sun, 16 May 2021 18:12 UTC

On 16/05/2021 19:02, Theo wrote:
> SH <i.love.spam@spam.com> wrote:
>> Right I have one of these for disposal....
>>
>> which is likely to be more profitable on Gumtree or Ebay?
>
> Go onto ebay sold listings and see what they go for in each state. My guess
> would be that 3.5" 500GB aren't worth much, especially with postage and fees
> taken into account. 2.5" maybe a bit more.
>
> You might find selling them with the unit gives a slight price uplift over
> the bare unit, and fewer postage hassles.
>
> Are you sure 2TB is the max drive size though? Sometimes the max on the spec
> is just the largest drive available at the time. It would be more useful as
> a NAS if it could take more than a single recent drive is capable of.
>
> Theo

IIRC, the 2TB limit comes about because the Terastation has Linux
underneath and only has LBA32 support.

In order to support drives greater than 2TB, you need LBA48 support.

The Terastation is EOLed so I cannot see it getting LBA48 support as no
new firmware since 2016.

https://www.buffalotech.com/products/terastation-pro-ii

Howvever, there is this:

https://community.spiceworks.com/how_to/78543-adding-larger-drives-to-a-buffalo-terastation-pro

Its not the fastest NAS, I think i was getting 25 MB/s from it, so with
4 off 3TB drives, that NAS is going to be slooow?

Re: Buffalo Terastation Rack mount NAS with 4 off 500 GB SATA drives

<s7rq5n$n16$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=930&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#930

From: NOTsome...@microsoft.com (GB)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Sun, 16 May 2021 20:01:12 +0100
 by: GB - Sun, 16 May 2021 19:01 UTC

On 16/05/2021 19:12, SH wrote:
> On 16/05/2021 19:02, Theo wrote:
>> SH <i.love.spam@spam.com> wrote:
>>> Right I have one of these for disposal....
>>>
>>> which is likely to be more profitable on Gumtree or Ebay?
>>
>> Go onto ebay sold listings and see what they go for in each state. My
>> guess
>> would be that 3.5" 500GB aren't worth much, especially with postage
>> and fees
>> taken into account.  2.5" maybe a bit more.
>>
>> You might find selling them with the unit gives a slight price uplift
>> over
>> the bare unit, and fewer postage hassles.
>>
>> Are you sure 2TB is the max drive size though? Sometimes the max on
>> the spec
>> is just the largest drive available at the time.  It would be more
>> useful as
>> a NAS if it could take more than a single recent drive is capable of.
>>
>> Theo
>

> IIRC, the 2TB limit comes about because the Terastation has Linux
> underneath and only has LBA32 support.
>
> In order to support drives greater than 2TB, you need LBA48 support.
>
> The Terastation is EOLed so I cannot see it getting LBA48 support as no
> new firmware since 2016.
>
> https://www.buffalotech.com/products/terastation-pro-ii
>

> Howvever, there is this:
>
> https://community.spiceworks.com/how_to/78543-adding-larger-drives-to-a-buffalo-terastation-pro
>

> Its not the fastest NAS, I think i was getting 25 MB/s from it, so with
> 4 off 3TB drives, that NAS is going to be slooow?

I've more or less given up on ebay, as there are too many scammers
around. I've recently sold a couple of items on Facebook, and that
worked well. No fees, and cash buyers, who came and collected stuff.

A secondhand 500GB hard drive is not worth the postage, quite frankly.
If you are quite sure they are wiped, then leave them in the machine.
I've just bought a couple of 3TB HDDs for £55 each, so a secondhand
0.5TB drive is worth £2-3, say? Perhaps you'll prove me wrong, and sell
them for a tenner each?

Re: Buffalo Terastation Rack mount NAS with 4 off 500 GB SATA drives

<yqf*z1fky@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=931&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#931

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 16 May 2021 20:41:24 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Sun, 16 May 2021 19:41 UTC

SH <i.love.spam@spam.com> wrote:
> The Terastation is EOLed so I cannot see it getting LBA48 support as no
> new firmware since 2016.
>
> https://www.buffalotech.com/products/terastation-pro-ii
>

> Howvever, there is this:
>
> https://community.spiceworks.com/how_to/78543-adding-larger-drives-to-a-buffalo-terastation-pro
>
> Its not the fastest NAS, I think i was getting 25 MB/s from it, so with
> 4 off 3TB drives, that NAS is going to be slooow?

Oh, so it's from 2008. 500GB drives have sold prices of £5-10 including
postage, so I imagine you'd get a couple of pounds maximum per drive. I
can't imagine a 13 year old NAS is worth anything, especially not if postage
is involved. ebay has no sold listings for it.

I'd throw it on gumtree or some other local site for say £20 all in and see
if you get any takers. If not I think it would be Freecycle territory.

Theo