Why don't you pair `em up in threes? -Yogi Berra

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: Drivers cause huge tailbacks at Richmond Park over bank holiday

SubjectAuthor
* Drivers cause huge tailbacks at Richmond Park over bank holidayswldx...@gmail.com
+- Re: Drivers cause huge tailbacks at Richmond Park over bank holidayMike Collins
+* Re: Drivers cause huge tailbacks at Richmond Park over bank holidayJNugent
+* Re: Drivers cause huge tailbacks at Richmond Park over bank holidayswldx...@gmail.com
|`* Re: Drivers cause huge tailbacks at Richmond Park over bank holidaySpike
| `* Re: Drivers cause huge tailbacks at Richmond Park over bank holidayJNugent
|  `- Re: Drivers cause huge tailbacks at Richmond Park over bank holidayPeter Keller
+* Re: Drivers cause huge tailbacks at Richmond Park over bank holidayswldx...@gmail.com
|`* Re: Drivers cause huge tailbacks at Richmond Park over bank holidaySpike
| `- Re: Drivers cause huge tailbacks at Richmond Park over bank holidayJNugent
+* Re: Drivers cause huge tailbacks at Richmond Park over bank holidayswldx...@gmail.com
|`- Re: Drivers cause huge tailbacks at Richmond Park over bank holidayJNugent
`- Re: Drivers cause huge tailbacks at Richmond Park over bank holidayswldx...@gmail.com

1
Drivers cause huge tailbacks at Richmond Park over bank holiday

<ef03cce2-8e1a-4a8c-b535-e7887695e7ffn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9258&group=uk.rec.cycling#9258

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 3 May 2022 11:27:48 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Drivers cause huge tailbacks at Richmond Park over bank holiday
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Tue, 3 May 2022 18:27 UTC

Bloody idiots.

For the second time in a month, drivers caused huge tailbacks in Richmond Park over the bank holiday weekend – with The Royal Parks, which manages the southwest London beauty spot, forced to close Kingston Gate due to the volume of motorists trying to enter the park through it.

A post on Twitter from the account Friends of Kingston Gate yesterday described the area as “gridlocked,” with “drivers getting very angry” and “lots of stand-offs, reversing back over mini roundabout.”

One person replying to the tweet, who lives locally, said that “The queue to Isabella plantation car park by 11.30 was the worst I think I’ve ever seen it and not sure they closed the gate but they need to warn people way before the gate.

“I really feel for those living by Kingston Gate as it was unpleasant chaos,” she added.

An earlier tweet from Friends of Kingston Gate, posted on Saturday, showed the damage to a parked car that happened when a driver hit a parked car close to the entrance to the park.

A video posted to Twitter the same day showed drivers queueing to get into one of the car parks in Richmond Park.

Under trial restrictions on motor traffic introduced in Richmond Park in 2020 when vehicles were allowed back in after being banned in the early months of the coronavirus pandemic, the road is permanently closed to them between Sheen Gate and Sheen Cross.

There are also restrictions operating on weekdays covering all through motor traffic from Broomfield Hill car park to Robin Hood car park, as well as restrictions on weekend traffic whilst a ‘quiet zone’ has been created on the north side of the park, restricting weekend traffic between Roehampton, Richmond and Sheen gates.

In common with all other boroughs across London, voters in Richmond-upon-Thames will go to the polls this Thursday for the local elections.

The position of different candidates on allowing motor vehicles into Richmond Park may help sway some voters one way or another, although the roads in the park – and Bushy Park, which also lies in the borough – are the responsibility of The Royal Parks rather than the council.

However, when The Royal Parks said in March last year that following a consultation it would extend the existing restrictions on motor vehicles in Richmond Park, introduced in 2020, by another 12 months, the Liberal Democrat controlled council said it backed the decision.

The council’s deputy leader Alexander Ehmann, who also chairs its transport and air quality committee said: “Richmond Council’s view was that it was desirable to extend the review period to ensure Royal Parks were able to obtain a clear understanding of how the park will be used after the current Covid-19 restrictions are lifted.

“That the Royal Parks reached the same view as this council is of course welcome.

“The Royal Parks were always popular destinations and all parks and open spaces have seen significant increases in use as a result of Covid-19’s impact on all our lives,” he added.

In its latest email bulletin, the group Richmond Park Cyclists (link is external), which is in regular dialogue with park management and other stakeholders said that “the traffic trials are finally due to conclude after the local elections following a delay of more than a year.

“We have been told an announcement will be made in a couple of weeks – and judging by the mood music, the current restrictions, which are hugely beneficial for safer, more enjoyable cycling, are likely to be made permanent.”

It added that its aim remains “removing through traffic, which we are convinced is now an achievable goal in the near future.”

https://road.cc/content/news/drivers-cause-huge-bank-holiday-tailbacks-richmond-park-292457

Re: Drivers cause huge tailbacks at Richmond Park over bank holiday

<44f8eccc-e6b6-4263-b6a4-9f8160f771a6n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9260&group=uk.rec.cycling#9260

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 3 May 2022 20:32:39 -0700 (PDT)
From: cmike8...@gmail.com (Mike Collins)
 by: Mike Collins - Wed, 4 May 2022 03:32 UTC

On Tuesday, 3 May 2022 at 19:27:49 UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> [...]
>
> “The Royal Parks were always popular destinations and all parks and open spaces have seen significant increases in use as a result of Covid-19’s impact on all our lives,” he added.
>
> In its latest email bulletin, the group Richmond Park Cyclists (link is external), which is in regular dialogue with park management and other stakeholders said that “the traffic trials are finally due to conclude after the local elections following a delay of more than a year.
>
> “We have been told an announcement will be made in a couple of weeks – and judging by the mood music, the current restrictions, which are hugely beneficial for safer, more enjoyable cycling, are likely to be made permanent.”
>
> It added that its aim remains “removing through traffic, which we are convinced is now an achievable goal in the near future.”

Clearly a cyclists fault because they don't worship the Great God Roadtax.

Re: Drivers cause huge tailbacks at Richmond Park over bank holiday

<jdep8mFmemjU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9263&group=uk.rec.cycling#9263

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 4 May 2022 08:45:27 +0100
 by: JNugent - Wed, 4 May 2022 07:45 UTC

> Bloody idiots.

Citizens wishing to enjoy the facilities of a Royal park on a Bank
Holiday weekend is "idiotic", is it?

Only in the minds of idiots.

> [...]
> “The Royal Parks were always popular destinations and all parks and open spaces have seen significant increases in use as a result of Covid-19’s impact on all our lives,” he added.
> In its latest email bulletin, the group Richmond Park Fairy-Cyclists (link is external), which is in regular dialogue with park management and other stakeholders said that “the traffic trials are finally due to conclude after the local elections following a delay of more than a year.
> “We have been told an announcement will be made in a couple of weeks – and judging by the mood music, the current restrictions, which are hugely beneficial for safer, more enjoyable fairy-cycling, are likely to be made permanent.”
> It added that its aim remains “removing through traffic, which we are convinced is now an achievable goal in the near future.”

What does any of it have to do with the illiterates who run road.cc?

What does it have to do with fairy-cyclists in any sense at all?

Re: Drivers cause huge tailbacks at Richmond Park over bank holiday

<jdeq8fFmkkuU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9268&group=uk.rec.cycling#9268

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 4 May 2022 08:02:24 +0000
 by: Spike - Wed, 4 May 2022 08:02 UTC

On 04/05/2022 07:45, JNugent wrote:
> On 03/05/2022 07:27 pm, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

>> For the second time in a month, drivers caused huge tailbacks in Richmond Park over the bank holiday weekend – with The Royal Parks, which manages the southwest London beauty spot, forced to close Kingston Gate due to the volume of motorists trying to enter the park through it.

>> Bloody idiots.

> Citizens wishing to enjoy the facilities of a Royal park on a Bank
> Holiday weekend is "idiotic", is it?

> Only in the minds of idiots.

Some people's two-faced attitude is sometimes amazing.

>> <https://road.cc/content/news/drivers-cause-huge-bank-holiday-tailbacks-richmond-park-292457>

> What does any of it have to do with the illiterates who run road.cc?

Quite.

> What does it have to do with fairy-cyclists in any sense at all?

Nothing, except perhaps to deflect attention away from cyclists' own
crimes and misdemeanours - which, for some reason, seems under-reported
in the pro-cycling social media.

--
Spike

Re: Drivers cause huge tailbacks at Richmond Park over bank holiday

<0add122f-904e-4a6f-b835-481a8b6e6500n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9278&group=uk.rec.cycling#9278

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 4 May 2022 02:45:13 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Wed, 4 May 2022 09:45 UTC

On Tuesday, May 3, 2022 at 7:27:49 PM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> Bloody idiots.

Mungecrundle | 2585 posts | 4 min ago
0 likes
I really don't understand the mentality of "It's a nice day, let's drive to the park, nobody else will have had the same idea".

Same with queuing to get to the top of Snowdon, or sitting in traffic for 3 hours hoping for a parking spot when you finally get near the beach.

reply quote

festina | 79 posts | 2 hours ago
4 likes

When will the parks realise they need to widen the roads and build more car parks. How are those poor drivers supposed to enjoy nature otherwise 😐

QUITE.

Re: Drivers cause huge tailbacks at Richmond Park over bank holiday

<jdf1iqFnudcU3@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9284&group=uk.rec.cycling#9284

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 4 May 2022 10:07:23 +0000
 by: Spike - Wed, 4 May 2022 10:07 UTC

On 04/05/2022 09:45, swldx...@gmail.com wrote in reply to himself:
> On Tuesday, May 3, 2022 at 7:27:49 PM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

>> Bloody idiots.

> Mungecrundle | 2585 posts | 4 min ago
> 0 likes

> I really don't understand the mentality of "It's a nice day, let's drive to the park, nobody else will have had the same idea".

Rather like mass trespasses on a road-closed Snake Pass, isn't it.

--
Spike

Re: Drivers cause huge tailbacks at Richmond Park over bank holiday

<jdf5l6FomfjU2@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9288&group=uk.rec.cycling#9288

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 4 May 2022 12:16:54 +0100
 by: JNugent - Wed, 4 May 2022 11:16 UTC

On 04/05/2022 11:07 am, Spike wrote:

> swldx...@gmail.com wrote in reply to himself:
>> swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
>
>>> Bloody idiots.

road.cc writers?

>> Mungecrundle | 2585 posts | 4 min ago

>> I really don't understand the mentality of "It's a nice day, let's drive to the park, nobody else will have had the same idea".

In similar vein, I refuse to understand the mentality of:

"It's a nice day, let's fairy-cycle to the park. Nobody else will have
had the idea of going there, whether by car or fairy-cycle".

> Rather like mass trespasses on a road-closed Snake Pass, isn't it.

:-)

Re: Drivers cause huge tailbacks at Richmond Park over bank holiday

<7cbd81e0-f7dc-4f91-b473-24a633b7247bn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9292&group=uk.rec.cycling#9292

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 4 May 2022 05:18:15 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Wed, 4 May 2022 12:18 UTC

On Tuesday, May 3, 2022 at 7:27:49 PM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> Bloody idiots.

Robert Hardy | 56 posts | 58 min ago
0 likes

London has the best public transport of any city in the country, maybe time to get rid of the cars altogether?

reply quote

OldRidgeback | 4005 posts | 1 hour ago
1 like
If only it wasn't for those pesky cyclists....

QUITE.

Re: Drivers cause huge tailbacks at Richmond Park over bank holiday

<jdhdnqF78pqU2@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9309&group=uk.rec.cycling#9309

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 5 May 2022 07:47:09 +0000
 by: Spike - Thu, 5 May 2022 07:47 UTC

On 04/05/2022 12:18, swldx...@gmail.com wrote in repoly to himself:
> On Tuesday, May 3, 2022 at 7:27:49 PM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

> Robert Hardy | 56 posts | 58 min ago
> 0 likes

> London has the best public transport of any city in the country, maybe time to get rid of the cars altogether?

I take it 'Robert Hardy' doesn't travel on public transport in London.

--
Spike

Re: Drivers cause huge tailbacks at Richmond Park over bank holiday

<t505dg$m34$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9314&group=uk.rec.cycling#9314

From: muzhm...@centrum.sk (Peter Keller)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 5 May 2022 21:29:20 +1200
 by: Peter Keller - Thu, 5 May 2022 09:29 UTC

On 4/05/22 23:16, JNugent wrote:
> On 04/05/2022 11:07 am, Spike wrote:
>
>> swldx...@gmail.com wrote in reply to himself:

> road.cc writers?
>
>>> Mungecrundle | 2585 posts | 4 min ago
>
>>> I really don't understand the mentality of "It's a nice day, let's
>>> drive to the park, nobody else will have had the same idea".
>
> In similar vein, I refuse to understand the mentality of:
>
> "It's a nice day, let's fairy-cycle to the park. Nobody else will have
> had the idea of going there, whether by car or fairy-cycle".
>
>> Rather like mass trespasses on a road-closed Snake Pass, isn't it.
>
> :-)

In such circumstances I fairy-bicycle on the road. Glorious, seeing
everyone else has gone to the park.

Re: Drivers cause huge tailbacks at Richmond Park over bank holiday

<241bf017-ebaa-4fcc-b121-1df597b43b94n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9318&group=uk.rec.cycling#9318

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 5 May 2022 03:05:50 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Thu, 5 May 2022 10:05 UTC

> Bloody idiots.
Simon E replied to Muddy Ford | 4791 posts | 21 hours ago
0 likes
Muddy Ford wrote:

The IQ and EQ is rapidly reducing with each generation. With role models from reality shows 'Housewives of...', 'Love Island', 'The only way is..' , etc. it is no surprise. People are just thick.

Are so many people really that stupid? I'm not so sure.

Maybe they have been dumbed down for so long - by education, TV, MSM and social media to see their main purpose is consuming junk entertainment, junk food, too much alcohol (and/or other chemicals) and live a life seemingly devoid of any deeper meaning.

Regarding the queues and tailbacks in Richmond Park and elsewhere, it really is very, very simple: You're not stuck in traffic, you ARE traffic.

And to paraphrase Eldridge Cleaver: If you are not part of the solution then you are part of the problem.

INDEED.

Re: Drivers cause huge tailbacks at Richmond Park over bank holiday

<jdho9oF983oU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9321&group=uk.rec.cycling#9321

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 5 May 2022 11:47:21 +0100
 by: JNugent - Thu, 5 May 2022 10:47 UTC

On 05/05/2022 11:05 am, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Tuesday, May 3, 2022 at 7:27:49 PM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
>> Bloody idiots.
> Simon E replied to Muddy Ford | 4791 posts | 21 hours ago
> 0 likes
>
> Muddy Ford wrote:
>
> The IQ and EQ is rapidly reducing with each generation. With role models from reality shows 'Housewives of...', 'Love Island', 'The only way is..' , etc. it is no surprise. People are just thick.
>
> Are so many people really that stupid? I'm not so sure.
>
> Maybe they have been dumbed down for so long - by education, TV, MSM and social media to see their main purpose is consuming junk entertainment, junk food, too much alcohol> (and/or other chemicals) and live a life seemingly devoid of any deeper meaning.

Is the "too much alcohol" consumed whilst stitting ina hole in the floor
of their garages?

We've always been very careful not to dig such a hole through the
concrete floor of ours.

> Regarding the queues and tailbacks in Richmond Park and elsewhere, it really is very, very simple: You're not stuck in traffic, you ARE traffic.
>
> And to paraphrase Eldridge Cleaver: If you are not part of the solution then you are part of the problem.

What "problem"?

Would being under self-imposed house arrest and not daring to go
anywhere be non-problematic?

Re: Drivers cause huge tailbacks at Richmond Park over bank holiday

<jdhoaqF983oU2@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9322&group=uk.rec.cycling#9322

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 5 May 2022 11:47:55 +0100

On 05/05/2022 08:47 am, Spike wrote:
> On 04/05/2022 12:18, swldx...@gmail.com wrote in repoly to himself:
>> On Tuesday, May 3, 2022 at 7:27:49 PM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
>
>> Robert Hardy | 56 posts | 58 min ago
>> 0 likes
>
>> London has the best public transport of any city in the country, maybe time to get rid of the cars altogether?
>
> I take it 'Robert Hardy' doesn't travel on public transport in London.

....especially in the area round Richmond Park.

Re: Drivers cause huge tailbacks at Richmond Park over bank holiday

<694eefe1-2051-41a7-addf-e388d81e94cfn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9325&group=uk.rec.cycling#9325

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 5 May 2022 06:47:52 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Thu, 5 May 2022 13:47 UTC

Oldfatgit | 285 posts | 19 hours ago
0 likes

So where was the greeting of two cyclists passing each other?
No acknowledgement at all from either side of the road.

Do you guys not do that in 'civilised' London then?

Not clear which bit that's in reference to, but perhaps concentrating on safely negotiating / not getting taken out by motor traffic was taking priority.

You'd be doing that every 20 seconds in Richmond Park at the weekend!