From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: DANGEROUS CLOSE PASSES NEEDED? EVERY LITTLE HELPS...
Date: Wed, 4 May 2022 17:31:22 +0000
 by: Spike - Wed, 4 May 2022 17:31 UTC

Wind turbines to make electricity from passing cars on Telford's A442

By Dominic Robertson

Lampposts in Telford will be getting wind turbines to make electricity
from passing cars.

The pilot project will see the turbines attached to street lighting
along the A442.

The trial project is a partnership between British wind turbine company
Alpha 311 and Telford & Wrekin Council.

The idea behind the plan is that the turbines generate enough
electricity to power the lights, with any remaining able to power other
lighting or go back into the national grid.

Alpha 311 CEO Barry Thompson said: “While we already have our turbines
mounted on buildings, this marks the first installation alongside a
road, which is really the sweet spot for the Alpha 311 turbine. It’s
very bold for a council to be a first-mover, and I’m delighted that
Telford & Wrekin is the first.”

Councillor Carolyn Healy, Telford & Wrekin Council's cabinet member for
climate change, green spaces, natural and historic environment and
cultural services, said: “This is an absolutely phenomenal pilot and I’m
so proud that Telford & Wrekin Council is leading the way
internationally in trialling this technology.

“As a council, we have a strong track record on innovative
sustainability, having built the UK’s second only publicly owned solar
farm in 2014. More recently, in January we ranked in the top three of UK
local authorities for climate change action planning. This new
partnership with Alpha 311 restates our commitment to tackling the
climate emergency and reinforces our approach: that actions speak louder
than words.”

The council said the new wind turbines will be attached to selected
street lighting on the A442, and will be "harvesting the wind generated
by passing vehicles".

A statement from the authority said that if successful then more
turbines could be added to the road.

A spokesman said: "The pilot begins later in the year and, depending on
its success, could include more turbines along this section of route."

<https://www.shropshirestar.com/news/local-hubs/telford/2022/05/04/wind-turbines-to-be-added-to-lamp-posts-on-busy-road-to-make-electricity-from-passing-cars/>

--
Spike

Re: DANGEROUS CLOSE PASSES NEEDED? EVERY LITTLE HELPS...

<jdk2vsFmokhU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9345&group=uk.rec.cycling#9345

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 6 May 2022 08:02:06 +0000
 by: Spike - Fri, 6 May 2022 08:02 UTC

On 06/05/2022 06:07, Mike Collins wrote:
> On Wednesday, 4 May 2022 at 18:31:23 UTC+1, Spike wrote:

>> Wind turbines to make electricity from passing cars on Telford's A442

>> By Dominic Robertson

>> Lampposts in Telford will be getting wind turbines to make electricity
>> from passing cars.

>> <https://www.shropshirestar.com/news/local-hubs/telford/2022/05/04/wind-turbines-to-be-added-to-lamp-posts-on-busy-road-to-make-electricity-from-passing-cars/>

> Wouldn't it be better if people used SUV's rather than motorised wombs?

I thought that cyclists might be encouraged to fart as the passed the
turbines, after all, every little helps.

--
Spike