From: pet...@parksidewood.nospam (Peter Johnson)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: B&Q new store plans
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2023 18:43:48 +0000
 by: Peter Johnson - Thu, 23 Mar 2023 18:43 UTC

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/mar/21/bq-open-uk-stores-bq-local-profits

Re: B&Q new store plans

<tvjqna$1jvc8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=93176&group=uk.d-i-y#93176

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: B&Q new store plans
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2023 09:32:21 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Fri, 24 Mar 2023 09:32 UTC

Well, its hardly surprising given the economic conditions that non essential
purchase will drop, is it? Shops need to base their profit forecasts on the
real world of normal people, not on attempting growth all the time.
So why don't they use Screwfix as click and collect for BE/Q?

Also in my view they did not give the Asda idea anywhere near long enough
for people to realise what they were doing. One has also to remember that
far from everyone being on line hanging on their every word, people tend
only to go there for things they already know they want. They still want to
inspect stuff up close and personal before making a significant purchase.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"Peter Johnson" <peter@parksidewood.nospam> wrote in message
> https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/mar/21/bq-open-uk-stores-bq-local-profits

Re: B&Q new store plans

<k85affFhu6tU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=93180&group=uk.d-i-y#93180

From: jun...@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2023 09:57:03 +0000
 by: alan_m - Fri, 24 Mar 2023 09:57 UTC

On 24/03/2023 09:32, Brian Gaff wrote:
> Well, its hardly surprising given the economic conditions that non essential
> purchase will drop, is it? Shops need to base their profit forecasts on the
> real world of normal people, not on attempting growth all the time.
> So why don't they use Screwfix as click and collect for BE/Q?

Possibly they want to keep the price differential between SF and B&Q
outlets for people who only shop at B&Q. SF don't tend to sell the
bulkier items and therefore can operate in much smaller premises. When I
went into the warehouse of my local SF there wasn't any spare room. I
backed my car into the delivery doorway to pick up a heavy radiator.

I went into B&Q last week for a bag of sharp sand and the majority of
customers were buying gardening items like bags of compost and plants or
white van man using the trade exit with various building materials-
sand, cement, plaster, plasterboard etc.

I have never found B&Q to be that competitively priced apart from when I
purchased a large plastic storage shed and they had an offer that was
30% cheaper than I could find eleswhere. I tend to use it for one off
items such as a single bag of sand or plaster where the cost of petrol
to drive to another retailer would probably exceed the cost of the savings.

Re: B&Q new store plans

<tvks3s$1pir5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=93267&group=uk.d-i-y#93267