Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2021 12:26:30 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Drivers face dangerous driving cautions for getting too near cyclists
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Tue, 1 Jun 2021 19:26 UTC

DRIVERS who overtake cyclists too closely may be pulled over and cautioned for dangerous driving under a new policing operation this summer.

Under Operation Close Pass, Police Scotland will deploy plain-clothes officers on bikes to snare reckless motorists who put cyclists at risk.

Motorists will then be pulled over and given a talking-to, and “if someone is unreceptive to education then they will be cautioned for careless or dangerous driving and receive a court summons”, said a statement from Cycling Scotland. It comes as the national cycling organisation launches a new campaign to improve road safety, with figures showing at least three cyclists per week suffer serious injuries on Scotland’s roads..

Research from the Near Miss Project has also suggested that every year people who regularly cycle in the UK will “experience an event that is so frightening that it alone makes them consider giving up cycling”..

It is a careless driving offence for motorists to “close-pass” a cyclist – meaning to overtake with less than a car’s width.

Drivers found to have done this can be given three points and be fined £100, or receive a criminal conviction for more serious offences.

Denise Hamilton, communications chief at Cycling Scotland, said of its Give Cycle Space campaign: “Every week in Scotland, at least three people are seriously injured while cycling. Dedicated cycling lanes, separated from road traffic, are the number one priority to make our roads safer for cycling.

“The Give Cycle Space campaign educates drivers about leaving at least a car’s width when passing people on bikes, supported by Police Scotland’s Operation Close Pass. Greater enforcement activity, both by police and cameras, has a proven impact on improving driver behaviour.

“We support the campaign for an online third-party reporting system in Scotland so dashcam footage can be used to detect and tackle dangerous driving.

“With more people taking up cycling in the last year, it’s more crucial than ever that we improve safety on our roads.

https://www.thenational.scot/news/19340711.drivers-face-dangerous-driving-cautions-getting-near-cyclists/

Re: Drivers face dangerous driving cautions for getting too near cyclists

<iho0jaFcghlU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=938&group=uk.rec.cycling#938

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Drivers face dangerous driving cautions for getting too near
cyclists
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2021 01:10:18 +0100
 by: JNugent - Wed, 2 Jun 2021 00:10 UTC

> DRIVERS who overtake cyclists too closely may be pulled over and cautioned for dangerous driving under a new policing operation this summer.
>
> Under Operation Close Pass, Police Scotland will deploy plain-clothes officers on bikes to snare reckless motorists who put cyclists at risk.
>
> Motorists will then be pulled over and given a talking-to, and “if someone is unreceptive to education then they will be cautioned for careless or dangerous driving and receive a court summons”, said a statement from Cycling Scotland. It comes as the national cycling organisation launches a new campaign to improve road safety, with figures showing at least three cyclists per week suffer serious injuries on Scotland’s roads.
>
> Research from the Near Miss Project has also suggested that every year people who regularly cycle in the UK will “experience an event that is so frightening that it alone makes them consider giving up cycling”.
>
> It is a careless driving offence for motorists to “close-pass” a cyclist – meaning to overtake with less than a car’s width.
>
> Drivers found to have done this can be given three points and be fined £100, or receive a criminal conviction for more serious offences.
>
> Denise Hamilton, communications chief at Cycling Scotland, said of its Give Cycle Space campaign: “Every week in Scotland, at least three people are seriously injured while cycling. Dedicated cycling lanes, separated from road traffic, are the number one priority to make our roads safer for cycling.
>
> “The Give Cycle Space campaign educates drivers about leaving at least a car’s width when passing people on bikes, supported by Police Scotland’s Operation Close Pass. Greater enforcement activity, both by police and cameras, has a proven impact on improving driver behaviour.
>
> “We support the campaign for an online third-party reporting system in Scotland so dashcam footage can be used to detect and tackle dangerous driving.
>
> “With more people taking up cycling in the last year, it’s more crucial than ever that we improve safety on our roads.
>
> https://www.thenational.scot/news/19340711.drivers-face-dangerous-driving-cautions-getting-near-cyclists/

What is a "dangerous driving caution?

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Drivers face dangerous driving cautions for getting too near cyclists