A pencil with no point needs no eraser.

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Re: OT - rechargeable virual debit card for phone?

SubjectAuthor
* OT - rechargeable virual debit card for phone?David
+- Re: OT - rechargeable virual debit card for phone?David Wade
+- Re: OT - rechargeable virual debit card for phone?Rod Speed
+* Re: OT - rechargeable virual debit card for phone?Roger Mills
|`* Re: OT - rechargeable virual debit card for phone?David
| `* Re: OT - rechargeable virual debit card for phone?Roger Mills
|  `* Re: OT - rechargeable virual debit card for phone?David
|   +- Re: OT - rechargeable virual debit card for phone?Rod Speed
|   `* Re: OT - rechargeable virual debit card for phone?Roger Mills
|    `- Re: OT - rechargeable virual debit card for phone?Chris B
+* Re: OT - rechargeable virual debit card for phone?Brian Gaff
|+- Re: OT - rechargeable virual debit card for phone?Rod Speed
|+* Re: OT - rechargeable virual debit card for phone?David
||+* Re: OT - rechargeable virual debit card for phone?Chris Green
|||`* Re: OT - rechargeable virual debit card for phone?farter
||| `* Re: OT - rechargeable virual debit card for phone?Chris Green
|||  +- Re: OT - rechargeable virual debit card for phone?farter
|||  +* Re: OT - rechargeable virual debit card for phone?farter
|||  |`* Re: OT - rechargeable virual debit card for phone?Chris Green
|||  | +- Re: OT - rechargeable virual debit card for phone?farter
|||  | `* Re: OT - rechargeable virual debit card for phone?Andrew
|||  |  `- Re: OT - rechargeable virual debit card for phone?Rod Speed
|||  `* Re: OT - rechargeable virual debit card for phone?Alan J. Wylie
|||   `- Re: OT - rechargeable virual debit card for phone?Andrew
||`* Re: OT - rechargeable virual debit card for phone?David Wade
|| `* Re: OT - rechargeable virual debit card for phone?Andrew
||  `- Re: OT - rechargeable virual debit card for phone?Rod Speed
|`* Re: OT - rechargeable virual debit card for phone?Andy Burns
| `- Re: OT - rechargeable virual debit card for phone?Murmansk
`- Re: OT - rechargeable virual debit card for phone?Andrew

Pages:12
Re: OT - rechargeable virual debit card for phone?

<tvvere$3se67$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=93769&group=uk.d-i-y#93769

From: Andrew...@btinternet.com (Andrew)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: OT - rechargeable virual debit card for phone?
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2023 20:23:26 +0100
 by: Andrew - Tue, 28 Mar 2023 19:23 UTC

On 27/03/2023 18:51, Chris Green wrote:
> farter <tsruhf@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Not as secure as my computer kept safely at home.
>>
>> Wrong with the best smartphones which can't be used
>> by anyone but the owner when properly set up.
>
> Yes, but most people don't do they!
>
> Anyway, if my computer is inaccessible then no one else but me can use
> it.

And you are unlikely to lose it or have it stolen.

It's the grief of having to get a new phone and reloading
it with all manner of stuff that worries me.

Re: OT - rechargeable virual debit card for phone?

<tvveud$3se67$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=93770&group=uk.d-i-y#93770

From: Andrew...@btinternet.com (Andrew)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2023 20:25:01 +0100
 by: Andrew - Tue, 28 Mar 2023 19:25 UTC

On 27/03/2023 20:01, Alan J. Wylie wrote:
> Chris Hogg <me@privacy.net> writes:
>
>> I know I've lived a comparatively sheltered life, but what are the
>> non-medical reasons that nitrous oxide is available in high-street
>> shops, only to result in kids buying it for 'recreational purposes'? I
>> accept that it might be required by some people for medical reasons
>> (but what, in particular?), in which case why is it not prescription
>> only?
>
> Medical reasons: Mountain and Cave Rescue carry it (Entonox) to help
> relieve the pain for people with e.g. broken limbs on a long stretcher
> carry. e.g. the recent big rescue in South Wales
>
> https://www.grough.co.uk/magazine/2013/01/03/cave-team-details-nine-hour-rescue-of-man-stuck-in-ogof-ffynon-ddu
>
> It's also used during childbirth, however it has nasty side effects
> if inhaled for too long, so where the hospital has inadequate
> ventilation the use has been suspended.
>
> https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/hospitals-suspend-gas-and-air-for-mothersto-be-over-midwife-safety-b1063188.html
>
> Dangerous effects: it can interfere with the metabolism of vitamin B12
> and cause nerve damage:
>
> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-65067196

Are posters on the Nitrous oxide ?. Replies seem to be
popping up in the wrong place ?

Re: OT - rechargeable virual debit card for phone?

<k8h3ubFcnf6U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=93794&group=uk.d-i-y#93794

From: mills37....@gmail.com (Roger Mills)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2023 22:19:05 +0100
 by: Roger Mills - Tue, 28 Mar 2023 21:19 UTC

On 27/03/2023 18:19, David wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Mar 2023 15:31:32 +0100, Roger Mills wrote:

>>> How much can you charge against the debit card in one transaction?
>>>

>>> Cheers
>>>

>>> Dave R
>>>

>> As far as I'm aware, there's no limit provided you have money in the
>> account to cover it. I assumed from your OP that you'd only want small
>> amounts to be accessible anyway.
>
> So (trying to clarify) you could suggest a Chase account with minimal
> money in it and no automatic top up, run purely for small payments?
>
> My main concern it to limit the funds available through the phone to a few
> pounds, purely as an emergency measure.
>
> Cheers
>

> Dave R

Yes, that would work fine. Anyone finding your phone couldn't make a
purchase for more than the account balance - and only then, if they
could get into the phone - which you would presumably lock with a PIN
and/or fingerprint or face recognition.

You could top up the card from home from another account, using a
desktop/laptop computer.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Re: OT - rechargeable virual debit card for phone?

<op.12jddxnabyq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=93801&group=uk.d-i-y#93801

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2023 08:45:23 +1100
 by: Rod Speed - Tue, 28 Mar 2023 21:45 UTC

On Wed, 29 Mar 2023 06:23:26 +1100, Andrew <Andrew97d@btinternet.com>
wrote:

> On 27/03/2023 18:51, Chris Green wrote:
>> farter <tsruhf@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Wrong with the best smartphones which can't be used
>>> by anyone but the owner when properly set up.
>> Yes, but most people don't do they!
>> Anyway, if my computer is inaccessible then no one else but me can use
>> it.
>>

> And you are unlikely to lose it or have it stolen.
>
> It's the grief of having to get a new phone and reloading
> it with all manner of stuff that worries me.

No grief at all with an iphone, just enter your apple id and carry on
regardless.

Re: OT - rechargeable virual debit card for phone?

<u018mi$90si$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=93855&group=uk.d-i-y#93855

From: new...@salis.co.uk (Chris B)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2023 12:50:41 +0100
 by: Chris B - Wed, 29 Mar 2023 11:50 UTC

On 28/03/2023 22:19, Roger Mills wrote:

snip.

>>> As far as I'm aware, there's no limit provided you have money in the
>>> account to cover it. I assumed from your OP that you'd only want small
>>> amounts to be accessible anyway.
>>
>> So (trying to clarify) you could suggest a Chase account with minimal
>> money in it and no automatic top up, run purely for small payments?
>>
>> My main concern it to limit the funds available through the phone to a
>> few
>> pounds, purely as an emergency measure.
>>
>> Cheers
>>

>> Dave R
>>

> Yes, that would work fine. Anyone finding your phone couldn't make a
> purchase for more than the account balance - and only then, if they
> could get into the phone - which you would presumably lock with a PIN
> and/or fingerprint or face recognition.

On my Andriod with google pay you can make small purchases (eg £10-£15
in a cafe) without unlocking. You have to wake the screen up but not
unlock it. I don't know how many of these you could make without ever
actually unlocking the phone. (I assume whenever you do actually
unlock it then the counter is reset to zero)

> You could top up the card from home from another account, using a
> desktop/laptop computer.

(This is the exact method I use using a chase account topped up from my
main account via PC Internet banking. )

--
Chris B (News)