There are no data that cannot be plotted on a straight line if the axis are chosen correctly.

aus+uk / uk.rec.gardening / Under a walnut tree

SubjectAuthor
* Under a walnut treeTahiri
+* Re: Under a walnut treeChris Hogg
|`- Re: Under a walnut treeTahiri
+- Re: Under a walnut treeJeff Layman
+* Re: Under a walnut treeNick Maclaren
|`* Re: Under a walnut treeTahiri
| `- Re: Under a walnut treeNick Maclaren
`- Re: Under a walnut treeJeff Layman

1
Under a walnut tree

<7L2dnfGNlr-7Ygv9nZ2dnUU78f3NnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=941&group=uk.rec.gardening#941

From: t2...@t.f9.co (Tahiri)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Subject: Under a walnut tree
Date: Sat, 8 May 2021 22:14:24 +0100
 by: Tahiri - Sat, 8 May 2021 21:14 UTC

A recent thread contained the following comment :-
'The only common UK plant I can think of that seriously causes problems
is walnut which really does have a potent anti competition compound in
its roots called juglone.'

I did not know of this until now. I wish I had known thirty years ago when I
planted a walnut tree about six or so feet from a hedge! We didn't notice
the hedge dying until it was too late as the ivy and brambles are still
healthy. At least now we know why it died...

According to wikipedia some plants are badly affected by juglone and some
not at all affected.(No examples of the latter are mentioned) Does anyone
know of anything in the 'not affected' category that might be usable to
patch the hedge?

Re: Under a walnut tree

<nbve9gtfk6rdo5k4krq9dacqk44j45ap2d@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=942&group=uk.rec.gardening#942

From: me...@privacy.net (Chris Hogg)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Subject: Re: Under a walnut tree
Date: Sun, 09 May 2021 07:17:17 +0100
 by: Chris Hogg - Sun, 9 May 2021 06:17 UTC

On Sat, 8 May 2021 22:14:24 +0100, "Tahiri" <t2@t.f9.co> wrote:

>A recent thread contained the following comment :-
>'The only common UK plant I can think of that seriously causes problems
>is walnut which really does have a potent anti competition compound in
>its roots called juglone.'
>
>I did not know of this until now. I wish I had known thirty years ago when I
>planted a walnut tree about six or so feet from a hedge! We didn't notice
>the hedge dying until it was too late as the ivy and brambles are still
>healthy. At least now we know why it died...
>
>According to wikipedia some plants are badly affected by juglone and some
>not at all affected.(No examples of the latter are mentioned) Does anyone
>know of anything in the 'not affected' category that might be usable to
>patch the hedge?

This article lists quite a wide range or trees and shrubs tolerant of
juglone. https://tinyurl.com/yb2dsy7m I've not read it through in
detail, but I imagine that at least a few of them would make
reasonable hedge plants.

--
Chris

Gardening in West Cornwall, very mild, sheltered
from the West, but open to the North and East.

Re: Under a walnut tree

<a7CdnfKpzss0MAr9nZ2dnUU78c3NnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=943&group=uk.rec.gardening#943

From: t2...@t.f9.co (Tahiri)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Sun, 9 May 2021 10:38:58 +0100
 by: Tahiri - Sun, 9 May 2021 09:38 UTC

>>According to wikipedia some plants are badly affected by juglone and some
>>not at all affected.(No examples of the latter are mentioned) Does anyone
>>know of anything in the 'not affected' category that might be usable to
>>patch the hedge?
>>
> This article lists quite a wide range or trees and shrubs tolerant of
> juglone. https://tinyurl.com/yb2dsy7m I've not read it through in
> detail, but I imagine that at least a few of them would make
> reasonable hedge plants.

Brilliant! Thanks for that - it has just provided a sensible use for the
wild plum suckers at the other side of the garden.

Re: Under a walnut tree

<s78hgo$s9i$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=944&group=uk.rec.gardening#944

From: jef...@invalid.invalid (Jeff Layman)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Sun, 9 May 2021 12:36:56 +0100
 by: Jeff Layman - Sun, 9 May 2021 11:36 UTC

On 08/05/2021 22:14, Tahiri wrote:
> A recent thread contained the following comment :-
> 'The only common UK plant I can think of that seriously causes problems
> is walnut which really does have a potent anti competition compound in
> its roots called juglone.'
>
> I did not know of this until now. I wish I had known thirty years ago when I
> planted a walnut tree about six or so feet from a hedge! We didn't notice
> the hedge dying until it was too late as the ivy and brambles are still
> healthy. At least now we know why it died...
>
> According to wikipedia some plants are badly affected by juglone and some
> not at all affected.(No examples of the latter are mentioned) Does anyone
> know of anything in the 'not affected' category that might be usable to
> patch the hedge?
(reposted via Solani)
An internet search on "juglone" "resistant" "plant" found:
<https://www.mortonarb.org/trees-plants/tree-and-plant-advice/horticulture-care/plants-tolerant-black-walnut-toxicity>
<https://laidbackgardener.blog/2018/05/26/what-to-grow-under-a-walnut-tree/>

(note comment about dense root system rather than juglone causing problems)
<https://www.gardeningchannel.com/juglone-tolerant-plants-grow-black-walnut/>
etc...

--

Jeff

Re: Under a walnut tree

<s78d3v$eda$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=945&group=uk.rec.gardening#945

From: nmm...@wheeler.UUCP (Nick Maclaren)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Sun, 9 May 2021 10:21:51 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Nick Maclaren - Sun, 9 May 2021 10:21 UTC

In article <7L2dnfGNlr-7Ygv9nZ2dnUU78f3NnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>,
Tahiri <tahiri2@tanygraig.force9.co.uk> wrote:
>A recent thread contained the following comment :-
>'The only common UK plant I can think of that seriously causes problems
>is walnut which really does have a potent anti competition compound in
>its roots called juglone.'
>
>I did not know of this until now. I wish I had known thirty years ago when I
>planted a walnut tree about six or so feet from a hedge! We didn't notice
>the hedge dying until it was too late as the ivy and brambles are still
>healthy. At least now we know why it died...
>
>According to wikipedia some plants are badly affected by juglone and some
>not at all affected.(No examples of the latter are mentioned) Does anyone
>know of anything in the 'not affected' category that might be usable to
>patch the hedge?

It's crap. Firstly, the tree that causes that effect is Juglans nigra,
not Juglans regia and, secondly, the effect is fairly minor - indeed,
I don't even know what plants are definitely affected. My mother had
shrubs growing under a J. nigra, and I have Hamamelis, Viburnum,
Helianthemum and Berberis growing under a J. regia.

What will have happened is that the tree took the water, nutrients and
light from the hedge, and it probably failed because it was out-competed.
Brambles and ivy are undershrubs and are adapted to that. I am not sure
what hedge plants do best as underplants, but I have seen yew and holly
growing as such in woodland.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Re: Under a walnut tree

<s782ih$afh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=946&group=uk.rec.gardening#946

From: jmlay...@invalid.invalid (Jeff Layman)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Sun, 9 May 2021 08:21:53 +0100
 by: Jeff Layman - Sun, 9 May 2021 07:21 UTC

On 08/05/2021 22:14, Tahiri wrote:
> A recent thread contained the following comment :-
> 'The only common UK plant I can think of that seriously causes problems
> is walnut which really does have a potent anti competition compound in
> its roots called juglone.'
>
> I did not know of this until now. I wish I had known thirty years ago when I
> planted a walnut tree about six or so feet from a hedge! We didn't notice
> the hedge dying until it was too late as the ivy and brambles are still
> healthy. At least now we know why it died...
>
> According to wikipedia some plants are badly affected by juglone and some
> not at all affected.(No examples of the latter are mentioned) Does anyone
> know of anything in the 'not affected' category that might be usable to
> patch the hedge?

An internet search on "juglone" "resistant" "plant" found:
<https://www.mortonarb.org/trees-plants/tree-and-plant-advice/horticulture-care/plants-tolerant-black-walnut-toxicity>
<https://laidbackgardener.blog/2018/05/26/what-to-grow-under-a-walnut-tree/>
(note comment about dense root system rather than juglone causing problems)
<https://www.gardeningchannel.com/juglone-tolerant-plants-grow-black-walnut/>
etc...

--

Jeff

Re: Under a walnut tree

<FLmdnXtL_b8RowX9nZ2dnUU78SPNnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=947&group=uk.rec.gardening#947

From: t2...@t.f9.co (Tahiri)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Sun, 9 May 2021 20:57:09 +0100
 by: Tahiri - Sun, 9 May 2021 19:57 UTC

>>According to wikipedia some plants are badly affected by juglone and some
>>not at all affected.(No examples of the latter are mentioned) Does anyone
>>know of anything in the 'not affected' category that might be usable to
>>patch the hedge?
>
> It's crap. Firstly, the tree that causes that effect is Juglans nigra,
> not Juglans regia and, secondly, the effect is fairly minor - indeed,
> I don't even know what plants are definitely affected. My mother had
> shrubs growing under a J. nigra, and I have Hamamelis, Viburnum,
> Helianthemum and Berberis growing under a J. regia.
>
> What will have happened is that the tree took the water, nutrients and
> light from the hedge, and it probably failed because it was out-competed.
> Brambles and ivy are undershrubs and are adapted to that. I am not sure
> what hedge plants do best as underplants, but I have seen yew and holly
> growing as such in woodland.
>

> Regards,
> Nick Maclaren.

Yes, I noticed all the links I have been given were to American sites about
the black walnut. They do include many suggestion for trees and shrubs that
don't mind it. I couldn't remember which species I had, but I have checked
and it is Juglans Regia fortunately. However there is a red oak to one side
and a field maple the other, and their stretches of hedge are not suffering
as badly. My husband is blaming it on the big leaves of the walnut choking
the base of the hedge! He may be partly right. I have room to try a variety
of things but also sometimes have sheep next door so I have to be a bit
careful.
Thank you for your help, and thanks also to Jeff for the other links.

Re: Under a walnut tree

<s79fna$epq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=948&group=uk.rec.gardening#948

From: nmm...@wheeler.UUCP (Nick Maclaren)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Sun, 9 May 2021 20:12:26 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Nick Maclaren - Sun, 9 May 2021 20:12 UTC

In article <FLmdnXtL_b8RowX9nZ2dnUU78SPNnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>,
Tahiri <tahiri2@tanygraig.force9.co.uk> wrote:

>My husband is blaming it on the big leaves of the walnut choking
>the base of the hedge! He may be partly right. I have room to try a variety
>of things but also sometimes have sheep next door so I have to be a bit
>careful.

I agree with him! I have pruned our walnut so that the first 8 feet
of its trunk is bare, and the leaves start at 10 feet. It was very
noticeable how much the lawn perked up when I first started that
process.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.