When you dig another out of trouble, you've got a place to bury your own.

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Global warming

SubjectAuthor
* Global warmingSimon
+- Re: Global warmingHVS
+- Re: Global warmingAndy Burns
+* Re: Global warmingAdrian
|`- Re: Global warmingSteveW
+- Re: Global warmingBrian Gaff
+* Re: Global warmingwrights...@f2s.com
|+* Re: Global warmingARW
||`- Re: Global warmingwrights...@f2s.com
|+- Re: Global warmingSteveW
|`* Re: Global warmingTim+
| `- Re: Global warmingwrights...@f2s.com
+- Re: Global warmingVir Campestris
`- Re: Global warmingAndrew

1
Global warming

<u0emgf$307a3$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=94510&group=uk.d-i-y#94510

From: simon.fe...@englandmail.com (Simon)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Global warming
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2023 14:06:07 +0000
 by: Simon - Mon, 3 Apr 2023 14:06 UTC

I am just a bum in Birmingham and I know nothing. I am not of one these
Fridays for Future saddos, but...

I went to my local library today. It was hot as hell. The heaters were
pumping at full blast (apparently they "cannot be turned off", the
library manager said). All windows were open. At one point the manager
came and turned the air conditioning on.

Again. I am a scrounger. I don't pay the bill myself but I'd have
thought a bit of common sense would have been to turn the heaters off
and, after that, maybe also open some windows.

But if the manager herself says that "it's not possible to turn the
heaters off", what is the point of having a manager?

Is this just Birmingham or the is concept of having a brain no longer a
requirement nationwide?

Re: Global warming

<XnsAFDB9DB73A82Ewhhvans@88.198.57.247>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=94511&group=uk.d-i-y#94511

From: off...@REMOVETHISwhhvs.co.uk (HVS)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Global warming
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2023 15:30:14 +0100
 by: HVS - Mon, 3 Apr 2023 14:30 UTC

On 03 Apr 2023, Simon wrote

> I am just a bum in Birmingham and I know nothing. I am not of one
> these Fridays for Future saddos, but...
>
> I went to my local library today. It was hot as hell. The heaters
> were pumping at full blast (apparently they "cannot be turned
> off", the library manager said). All windows were open. At one
> point the manager came and turned the air conditioning on.
>
> Again. I am a scrounger. I don't pay the bill myself but I'd have
> thought a bit of common sense would have been to turn the heaters
> off and, after that, maybe also open some windows.
>
> But if the manager herself says that "it's not possible to turn
> the heaters off", what is the point of having a manager?
>
> Is this just Birmingham or the is concept of having a brain no
> longer a requirement nationwide?

I wonder if this reflects an old system, possibly being run to old
rules.

The practice of turning the heating on and off on specified dates --
no earlier or later, and with no exceptions -- used to be fairly
common in large organisations. My wife was faced with it when she was
in charge of a number of NHS care homes in the 1980s: the Estates
Department turned the heat on in October (regardless of the whether
or not it was needed), and come hell or high water it stayed on until
the spring turning-off date.

--
Cheers, Harvey

learning disabled

Re: Global warming

<k90a0kFo9v3U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=94521&group=uk.d-i-y#94521

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2023 16:34:43 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Mon, 3 Apr 2023 15:34 UTC

Simon wrote:

> Is this just Birmingham

Most local authority buildings, heating settings determined by the
calendar rather than a thermostat.

Re: Global warming

<dPdyu2IAlwKkFwZl@ffoil.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=94537&group=uk.d-i-y#94537

From: diy...@ku.gro.lioff (Adrian)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2023 18:13:36 +0100
 by: Adrian - Mon, 3 Apr 2023 17:13 UTC

In message <u0emgf$307a3$2@dont-email.me>, Simon
<simon.ferrol@englandmail.com> writes
>I am just a bum in Birmingham and I know nothing. I am not of one these
>Fridays for Future saddos, but...
>
>I went to my local library today. It was hot as hell. The heaters were
>pumping at full blast (apparently they "cannot be turned off", the
>library manager said). All windows were open. At one point the manager
>came and turned the air conditioning on.
>
>Again. I am a scrounger. I don't pay the bill myself but I'd have
>thought a bit of common sense would have been to turn the heaters off
>and, after that, maybe also open some windows.
>
>But if the manager herself says that "it's not possible to turn the
>heaters off", what is the point of having a manager?
>
>Is this just Birmingham or the is concept of having a brain no longer a
>requirement nationwide?

Something like 50 years ago, some council flats just behind us, used to
regularly have the windows wide open on what were probably best
described as unseasonably warm days in spring and autumn. The heating
was on a system where the entire building was either on or off, and some
edict said that the heating had to be on at that time of year. The
flats were newly built at the time.

Adrian
--
To Reply :
replace "diy" with "news" and reverse the domain

If you are reading this from a web interface eg DIY Banter,
DIY Forum or Google Groups, please be aware this is NOT a forum, and
you are merely using a web portal to a USENET group. Many people block
posters coming from web portals due to perceieved SPAM or inaneness.
For a better method of access, please see:

Re: Global warming

<u0fh2r$340bm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=94567&group=uk.d-i-y#94567

From: ste...@walker-family.me.uk (SteveW)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2023 22:39:38 +0100
 by: SteveW - Mon, 3 Apr 2023 21:39 UTC

On 03/04/2023 18:13, Adrian wrote:
> In message <u0emgf$307a3$2@dont-email.me>, Simon
> <simon.ferrol@englandmail.com> writes
>> I am just a bum in Birmingham and I know nothing. I am not of one
>> these Fridays for Future saddos, but...
>>
>> I went to my local library today. It was hot as hell. The heaters were
>> pumping at full blast (apparently they "cannot be turned off", the
>> library manager said). All windows were open. At one point the manager
>> came and turned the air conditioning on.
>>
>> Again. I am a scrounger. I don't pay the bill myself but I'd have
>> thought a bit of common sense would have been to turn the heaters off
>> and, after that, maybe also open some windows.
>>
>> But if the manager herself says that "it's not possible to turn the
>> heaters off", what is the point of having a manager?
>>
>> Is this just Birmingham or the is concept of having a brain no longer
>> a requirement nationwide?
>
> Something like 50 years ago, some council flats just behind us, used to
> regularly have the windows wide open on what were probably best
> described as unseasonably warm days in spring and autumn.  The heating
> was on a system where the entire building was either on or off, and some
> edict said that the heating had to be on at that time of year.  The
> flats were newly built at the time.

I've certainly worked in places where the heating was turned on in
October, off in March and the cooling (just fans blowing outside air
down the same heating ducts, no AC) were turned on in June and off at
the end of August.

One of those places was also where their financial year ran October to
October, so twice (I had moved floors by the second time), I was on a
floor where they took the floor to ceiling, one end of the building to
the other, windows out, in November, to replace them. It took weeks, we
were constantly freezing, even while wearing our coats and we couldn't
hear anything if we needed to make a phone call, as they cut piece by
piece of the metal framing away with angle-grinders.

Re: Global warming

<u0h3ba$3dmcf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=94615&group=uk.d-i-y#94615

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2023 12:57:27 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Tue, 4 Apr 2023 11:57 UTC

A brain? no you are notsupposed to think, its above your pay grade.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"Simon" <simon.ferrol@englandmail.com> wrote in message
>I am just a bum in Birmingham and I know nothing. I am not of one these
>Fridays for Future saddos, but...
>
> I went to my local library today. It was hot as hell. The heaters were
> pumping at full blast (apparently they "cannot be turned off", the library
> manager said). All windows were open. At one point the manager came and
> turned the air conditioning on.
>
> Again. I am a scrounger. I don't pay the bill myself but I'd have thought
> a bit of common sense would have been to turn the heaters off and, after
> that, maybe also open some windows.
>
> But if the manager herself says that "it's not possible to turn the
> heaters off", what is the point of having a manager?
>
> Is this just Birmingham or the is concept of having a brain no longer a
> requirement nationwide?

Re: Global warming

<41011638-d1fb-43cc-b783-9d5115e1b9c3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=94653&group=uk.d-i-y#94653

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2023 09:02:05 -0700 (PDT)
From: wrightsa...@f2s.com (wrights...@f2s.com)
 by: wrights...@f2s.com - Tue, 4 Apr 2023 16:02 UTC

On Monday, 3 April 2023 at 15:06:14 UTC+1, Simon wrote:

> But if the manager herself says that "it's not possible to turn the
> heaters off", what is the point of having a manager?

If you walk about on the flat roof of any public building, when you stand near the edge you can feel the warm updraught from the open windows below you.

Bill

Re: Global warming

<u0hm3p$3gfo1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=94663&group=uk.d-i-y#94663

From: adamwads...@blueyonder.co.uk (ARW)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2023 18:17:45 +0100
 by: ARW - Tue, 4 Apr 2023 17:17 UTC

On 04/04/2023 17:02, wrights...@f2s.com wrote:
> On Monday, 3 April 2023 at 15:06:14 UTC+1, Simon wrote:
>
>> But if the manager herself says that "it's not possible to turn the
>> heaters off", what is the point of having a manager?
>
> If you walk about on the flat roof of any public building, when you stand near the edge you can feel the warm updraught from the open windows below you.

So I am not the only person to have done that?

Re: Global warming

<u0hs1a$3h93c$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=94669&group=uk.d-i-y#94669

From: ste...@walker-family.me.uk (SteveW)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2023 19:58:51 +0100
 by: SteveW - Tue, 4 Apr 2023 18:58 UTC

On 04/04/2023 17:02, wrights...@f2s.com wrote:
> On Monday, 3 April 2023 at 15:06:14 UTC+1, Simon wrote:
>
>> But if the manager herself says that "it's not possible to turn the
>> heaters off", what is the point of having a manager?
>
> If you walk about on the flat roof of any public building, when you stand near the edge you can feel the warm updraught from the open windows below you.

Not in the one I work in. Okay it is not a public building, but it is
owned, run and used by a company that is fully government funded. None
of the bloody windows are unlocked, so we can't open any - even when we
are wilting from the heat.

You know that it is pretty bad, when you have to use a desk fan to be
able to work, while the temperature outside is below zero!

Re: Global warming

<1213775318.702331332.882963.tim.downie-gmail.com@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=94683&group=uk.d-i-y#94683

From: tim.dow...@gmail.com (Tim+)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 4 Apr 2023 20:03:27 GMT
 by: Tim+ - Tue, 4 Apr 2023 20:03 UTC

wrights...@f2s.com <wrightsaerials@f2s.com> wrote:
> On Monday, 3 April 2023 at 15:06:14 UTC+1, Simon wrote:
>
>> But if the manager herself says that "it's not possible to turn the
>> heaters off", what is the point of having a manager?
>
> If you walk about on the flat roof of any public building, when you stand
> near the edge you can feel the warm updraught from the open windows below you.

That could just be an updraft created by sun-warmed masonry.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Re: Global warming

<u0i30u$3i8n1$5@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=94693&group=uk.d-i-y#94693

From: vir.camp...@invalid.invalid (Vir Campestris)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2023 21:58:06 +0100
 by: Vir Campestris - Tue, 4 Apr 2023 20:58 UTC

On 03/04/2023 15:06, Simon wrote:
> I am just a bum in Birmingham and I know nothing. I am not of one these
> Fridays for Future saddos, but...
>
> I went to my local library today. It was hot as hell. The heaters were
> pumping at full blast (apparently they "cannot be turned off", the
> library manager said). All windows were open. At one point the manager
> came and turned the air conditioning on.
>
> Again. I am a scrounger. I don't pay the bill myself but I'd have
> thought a bit of common sense would have been to turn the heaters off
> and, after that, maybe also open some windows.
>
> But if the manager herself says that "it's not possible to turn the
> heaters off", what is the point of having a manager?
>
> Is this just Birmingham or the is concept of having a brain no longer a
> requirement nationwide?

Tell the local paper. That will get it fixed.

Andy

Re: Global warming

<8450ea6b-dc84-4df1-bcd8-4d9924cf6f55n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=94707&group=uk.d-i-y#94707

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2023 19:16:30 -0700 (PDT)
From: wrightsa...@f2s.com (wrights...@f2s.com)
 by: wrights...@f2s.com - Wed, 5 Apr 2023 02:16 UTC

On Tuesday, 4 April 2023 at 18:17:49 UTC+1, ARW wrote:
> On 04/04/2023 17:02, wrights...@f2s.com wrote:
> > On Monday, 3 April 2023 at 15:06:14 UTC+1, Simon wrote:
> >
> >> But if the manager herself says that "it's not possible to turn the
> >> heaters off", what is the point of having a manager?
> >
> > If you walk about on the flat roof of any public building, when you stand near the edge you can feel the warm updraught from the open windows below you.
> >
> So I am not the only person to have done that?
No, there's at least me and thee.
Bill

Re: Global warming

<9ec22e1b-4653-499c-a561-874874bf41d6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=94708&group=uk.d-i-y#94708

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2023 19:18:09 -0700 (PDT)
From: wrightsa...@f2s.com (wrights...@f2s.com)
 by: wrights...@f2s.com - Wed, 5 Apr 2023 02:18 UTC

On Tuesday, 4 April 2023 at 21:03:32 UTC+1, Tim+ wrote:
> wrights...@f2s.com <wrights...@f2s.com> wrote:
> > On Monday, 3 April 2023 at 15:06:14 UTC+1, Simon wrote:
> >
> >> But if the manager herself says that "it's not possible to turn the
> >> heaters off", what is the point of having a manager?
> >
> > If you walk about on the flat roof of any public building, when you stand
> > near the edge you can feel the warm updraught from the open windows below you.
> That could just be an updraft created by sun-warmed masonry.

No, it coincides with open windows. Many times I peered over the edge to see where the heat was coming from. I used to get quite annoyed about it.
Bill

Re: Global warming

<u0k1ej$3u5hg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=94793&group=uk.d-i-y#94793

From: Andrew...@btinternet.com (Andrew)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2023 15:43:29 +0100
 by: Andrew - Wed, 5 Apr 2023 14:43 UTC

On 03/04/2023 15:06, Simon wrote:
> I am just a bum in Birmingham and I know nothing. I am not of one these
> Fridays for Future saddos, but...
>
> I went to my local library today. It was hot as hell. The heaters were
> pumping at full blast (apparently they "cannot be turned off", the
> library manager said). All windows were open. At one point the manager
> came and turned the air conditioning on.
>
> Again. I am a scrounger. I don't pay the bill myself but I'd have
> thought a bit of common sense would have been to turn the heaters off
> and, after that, maybe also open some windows.
>
> But if the manager herself says that "it's not possible to turn the
> heaters off", what is the point of having a manager?
>
> Is this just Birmingham or the is concept of having a brain no longer a
> requirement nationwide?

The library building in Chichester is round, built in the
1960's with an inverted concrete roof and metal single
glazed 'crittall' windows running continuously along about
one third of the upper floor, mostly south-facing.

The local authority have listed the whole building because
of its location and 'design'.

This means they cannot replace the windows or improve the
insulation. They are not even allowed to fit 2ndary double
glazing. Their heating bill is enormous.