Veni, vidi, vici. [I came, I saw, I conquered]. -- Gaius Julius Caesar

aus+uk / uk.rec.audio / Re: Odd fault.

SubjectAuthor
* Odd fault.Dave Plowman (News)
+* Re: Odd fault.Woody
|`* Re: Odd fault.Dave Plowman (News)
| `* Re: Odd fault.Trevor Wilson
|  `- Re: Odd fault.Dave Plowman (News)
+- Re: Odd fault.Don Pearce
+* Re: Odd fault.Phil Allison
|`* Re: Odd fault.Dave Plowman (News)
| `* Re: Odd fault.Don Pearce
|  `- Re: Odd fault.Phil Allison
`* Re: Odd fault.Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)
 +- Re: Odd fault.Dave Plowman (News)
 `* Re: Odd fault.Trevor Wilson
  +* Re: Odd fault.Don Pearce
  |+* Re: Odd fault.Phil Allison
  ||+* Re: Odd fault.Don Pearce
  |||`- Re: Odd fault.Phil Allison
  ||`* Re: Odd fault.Don Pearce
  || `* Re: Odd fault.Phil Allison
  ||  `* Re: Odd fault.Don Pearce
  ||   `- Re: Odd fault.Phil Allison
  |`* Re: Odd fault.Jim Lesurf
  | `- Re: Odd fault.Phil Allison
  `* Re: Odd fault.Phil Allison
   `- Re: Odd fault.Trevor Wilson

1
Odd fault.

<5987a18d9ddave@davenoise.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=923&group=uk.rec.audio#923

From: dav...@davenoise.co.uk (Dave Plowman (News))
Newsgroups: uk.rec.audio
Subject: Odd fault.
Date: Sun, 07 Nov 2021 12:13:30 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Dave Plowman (News) - Sun, 7 Nov 2021 12:13 UTC

Got an odd fault on the ancient AV system in the bedroom. It uses a 40
year old Linsey-Hood amp built by a workmate some 40 years ago.

When you switch the room lights on or off, it occasionally starts humming.
Quite loud, but no where near full output. Sounds just like mains hum.
Power it down, and it's OK again.

Not having experience this sort of fault before, anyone give a guess at
the fix?

The odd thing is it seems to come from both speakers, which to me would
rule out a power amp fault. I can easily unplug the pre-amp, and it still
happens. So maybe the power amp power supply?

--
*A bartender is just a pharmacist with a limited inventory *

Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Re: Odd fault.

<sm8jdt$2d7$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=925&group=uk.rec.audio#925

From: harroga...@ntlworld.com (Woody)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.audio
Subject: Re: Odd fault.
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2021 13:13:33 +0000
 by: Woody - Sun, 7 Nov 2021 13:13 UTC

On Sun 07/11/2021 12:13, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
> Got an odd fault on the ancient AV system in the bedroom. It uses a 40
> year old Linsey-Hood amp built by a workmate some 40 years ago.
>
> When you switch the room lights on or off, it occasionally starts humming.
> Quite loud, but no where near full output. Sounds just like mains hum.
> Power it down, and it's OK again.
>
> Not having experience this sort of fault before, anyone give a guess at
> the fix?
>
> The odd thing is it seems to come from both speakers, which to me would
> rule out a power amp fault. I can easily unplug the pre-amp, and it still
> happens. So maybe the power amp power supply?

Do you have a dimmer on the lights? Does the amp have a good earth? If
its a dimmer, swap it for a trailing edge type (Screwfix) and that will
stop it dead.

Built a LH 75Wpc amp (from Oswestry kit) for f-in-l in mid 70's and it
was still a worker when f-in-l died in Jan 19. Brilliant bit of kit.

Re: Odd fault.

<5987ab82eadave@davenoise.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=926&group=uk.rec.audio#926

From: dav...@davenoise.co.uk (Dave Plowman (News))
Newsgroups: uk.rec.audio
Date: Sun, 07 Nov 2021 14:02:16 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Dave Plowman (News) - Sun, 7 Nov 2021 14:02 UTC

In article <sm8jdt$2d7$1@dont-email.me>,
Woody <harrogate3@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> On Sun 07/11/2021 12:13, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
> > Got an odd fault on the ancient AV system in the bedroom. It uses a 40
> > year old Linsey-Hood amp built by a workmate some 40 years ago.
> >
> > When you switch the room lights on or off, it occasionally starts humming.
> > Quite loud, but no where near full output. Sounds just like mains hum.
> > Power it down, and it's OK again.
> >
> > Not having experience this sort of fault before, anyone give a guess at
> > the fix?
> >
> > The odd thing is it seems to come from both speakers, which to me would
> > rule out a power amp fault. I can easily unplug the pre-amp, and it still
> > happens. So maybe the power amp power supply?
> >

> Do you have a dimmer on the lights? Does the amp have a good earth? If
> its a dimmer, swap it for a trailing edge type (Screwfix) and that will
> stop it dead.

Absolutely nothing has changed before this fault appeared.

> Built a LH 75Wpc amp (from Oswestry kit) for f-in-l in mid 70's and it
> was still a worker when f-in-l died in Jan 19. Brilliant bit of kit.

Yes - it sounds very nice. Driving a pair of Chartwell LS3/5a which were
assembled from a kit I bought while working for the BBC in the 70s.

--
*Hang in there, retirement is only thirty years away! *

Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Re: Odd fault.

<61880a6d.26485203@news.eternal-september.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=927&group=uk.rec.audio#927

From: spa...@spam.com (Don Pearce)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.audio
Date: Sun, 07 Nov 2021 17:19:51 GMT
 by: Don Pearce - Sun, 7 Nov 2021 17:19 UTC

On Sun, 07 Nov 2021 12:13:30 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
<dave@davenoise.co.uk> wrote:

>Got an odd fault on the ancient AV system in the bedroom. It uses a 40
>year old Linsey-Hood amp built by a workmate some 40 years ago.
>
>When you switch the room lights on or off, it occasionally starts humming.
>Quite loud, but no where near full output. Sounds just like mains hum.
>Power it down, and it's OK again.
>
>Not having experience this sort of fault before, anyone give a guess at
>the fix?
>
>The odd thing is it seems to come from both speakers, which to me would
>rule out a power amp fault. I can easily unplug the pre-amp, and it still
>happens. So maybe the power amp power supply?

If it's on both channels the first place to look is the power supply.
You may have a cracked solder joint on an electrolytic that would make
intermittent contact. Try prodding them around to see if you can make
the fault come and go.

Re: Odd fault.

<iuql48Fjrt3U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=928&group=uk.rec.audio#928

From: tre...@rageaudio.com.au (Trevor Wilson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.audio
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2021 05:44:21 +1100
 by: Trevor Wilson - Sun, 7 Nov 2021 18:44 UTC

On 8/11/2021 1:02 am, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
> In article <sm8jdt$2d7$1@dont-email.me>,
> Woody <harrogate3@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>> On Sun 07/11/2021 12:13, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
>>> Got an odd fault on the ancient AV system in the bedroom. It uses a 40
>>> year old Linsey-Hood amp built by a workmate some 40 years ago.
>>>
>>> When you switch the room lights on or off, it occasionally starts humming.
>>> Quite loud, but no where near full output. Sounds just like mains hum.
>>> Power it down, and it's OK again.
>>>
>>> Not having experience this sort of fault before, anyone give a guess at
>>> the fix?
>>>
>>> The odd thing is it seems to come from both speakers, which to me would
>>> rule out a power amp fault. I can easily unplug the pre-amp, and it still
>>> happens. So maybe the power amp power supply?
>>>

>> Do you have a dimmer on the lights? Does the amp have a good earth? If
>> its a dimmer, swap it for a trailing edge type (Screwfix) and that will
>> stop it dead.
>
> Absolutely nothing has changed before this fault appeared.

**You failed to answer Woody's crucial question (my extra request for
information added):

Do the lights operate via a dimmer, of some kind of non-mechanical
switching system? Is the lamp an electronic (CFL or LED) type?

If the switch is purely mechanical and the lamp is CFL or LED, then try
an incandescent lamp and see what happens.

Re: Odd fault.

<dbcad8da-1fd1-41a0-bf0c-fc92e9a31182n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=929&group=uk.rec.audio#929

Newsgroups: uk.rec.audio
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2021 12:26:03 -0800 (PST)
From: palliso...@gmail.com (Phil Allison)
 by: Phil Allison - Sun, 7 Nov 2021 20:26 UTC

Dave Plowman (Nutcase) wrote:
========================
> Got an odd fault on the ancient AV system in the bedroom. It uses a 40
> year old Linsey-Hood amp built by a workmate some 40 years ago.
>
> When you switch the room lights on or off, it occasionally starts humming.
> Quite loud, but no where near full output. Sounds just like mains hum.
> Power it down, and it's OK again.
>
> Not having experience this sort of fault before, anyone give a guess at
> the fix?

** Scope the outputs.

That "hum" may be the audible result of HF oscillation.

....... Phil

Re: Odd fault.

<5987e8130bdave@davenoise.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=930&group=uk.rec.audio#930

From: dav...@davenoise.co.uk (Dave Plowman (News))
Newsgroups: uk.rec.audio
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2021 01:03:48 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Dave Plowman (News) - Mon, 8 Nov 2021 01:03 UTC

In article <iuql48Fjrt3U1@mid.individual.net>,
Trevor Wilson <trevor@rageaudio.com.au> wrote:
> On 8/11/2021 1:02 am, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
> > In article <sm8jdt$2d7$1@dont-email.me>,
> > Woody <harrogate3@ntlworld.com> wrote:

> >> Do you have a dimmer on the lights? Does the amp have a good earth? If
> >> its a dimmer, swap it for a trailing edge type (Screwfix) and that will
> >> stop it dead.
> >
> > Absolutely nothing has changed before this fault appeared.

> **You failed to answer Woody's crucial question (my extra request for
> information added):

> Do the lights operate via a dimmer, of some kind of non-mechanical
> switching system? Is the lamp an electronic (CFL or LED) type?

There are four circuits. All on dimmers. A mixture of LED and tungsten.
Although the dimmers are old I'd guess trailing edge since they dim the
LEDs OK.

> If the switch is purely mechanical and the lamp is CFL or LED, then try
> an incandescent lamp and see what happens.

And a two way off on switch circuit for the whole lot.

BTW, switching an appliance plugged into a power socket can have the same
effect.

--
*My designated driver drove me to drink

Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Re: Odd fault.

<5987e83c44dave@davenoise.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=931&group=uk.rec.audio#931

From: dav...@davenoise.co.uk (Dave Plowman (News))
Newsgroups: uk.rec.audio
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2021 01:05:32 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Dave Plowman (News) - Mon, 8 Nov 2021 01:05 UTC

In article <dbcad8da-1fd1-41a0-bf0c-fc92e9a31182n@googlegroups.com>,
Phil Allison <pallison49@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dave Plowman (Nutcase) wrote:
> ========================
> > Got an odd fault on the ancient AV system in the bedroom. It uses a 40
> > year old Linsey-Hood amp built by a workmate some 40 years ago.
> >
> > When you switch the room lights on or off, it occasionally starts
> > humming. Quite loud, but no where near full output. Sounds just like
> > mains hum. Power it down, and it's OK again.
> >
> > Not having experience this sort of fault before, anyone give a guess
> > at the fix?

> ** Scope the outputs.

> That "hum" may be the audible result of HF oscillation.

That sounds feasible. I'll do just that.

--
*Why don't you ever see the headline "Psychic Wins Lottery"?

Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Re: Odd fault.

<6188fa0b.3530062@news.eternal-september.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=932&group=uk.rec.audio#932

From: spa...@spam.com (Don Pearce)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.audio
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2021 10:21:56 GMT
 by: Don Pearce - Mon, 8 Nov 2021 10:21 UTC

On Mon, 08 Nov 2021 01:05:32 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
<dave@davenoise.co.uk> wrote:

>In article <dbcad8da-1fd1-41a0-bf0c-fc92e9a31182n@googlegroups.com>,
> Phil Allison <pallison49@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Dave Plowman (Nutcase) wrote:
>> ========================
>> > Got an odd fault on the ancient AV system in the bedroom. It uses a 40
>> > year old Linsey-Hood amp built by a workmate some 40 years ago.
>> >
>> > When you switch the room lights on or off, it occasionally starts
>> > humming. Quite loud, but no where near full output. Sounds just like
>> > mains hum. Power it down, and it's OK again.
>> >
>> > Not having experience this sort of fault before, anyone give a guess
>> > at the fix?
>
>> ** Scope the outputs.
>
>> That "hum" may be the audible result of HF oscillation.
>
>That sounds feasible. I'll do just that.

It's very unlikely that both channels should decide to oscillate
simultaneously. You need to start with the only part that is common to
both - the power supply.

Re: Odd fault.

<360910f6-7c97-43a9-b090-16de8fa48337n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=933&group=uk.rec.audio#933

Newsgroups: uk.rec.audio
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2021 02:42:33 -0800 (PST)
From: palliso...@gmail.com (Phil Allison)
 by: Phil Allison - Mon, 8 Nov 2021 10:42 UTC

Don Pearce Psyhco Shithead:

========================

> >> ** Scope the outputs.
> >
> >> That "hum" may be the audible result of HF oscillation.
> >
> >That sounds feasible. I'll do just that.
>
> It's very unlikely that both channels should decide to oscillate
> simultaneously.

** A scope test will tell - fuckhead.

The OP was not certain it was both and HF current has a habit of traveling around.

>You need to start with the only part that is common to
> both - the power supply.

** PSUs do not do what the OP claimed.

FOAD pommy pig.

........ Phil

Re: Odd fault.

<smbf68$adu$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=934&group=uk.rec.audio#934

From: bria...@blueyonder.co.uk (Brian Gaff \(Sofa\))
Newsgroups: uk.rec.audio
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2021 15:19:35 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) - Mon, 8 Nov 2021 15:19 UTC

Yes but maybe also some other interference is coming up the mains and not
being tackled very well. I used to have a dimmer you could plainly here when
it was on in the speakers of a Tandberg amplifier, mind you that beast had a
wide open door for everything from the local sea cadets, to radio china and
thermostats. Perhaps the Norwegians don't have that issue?

I would most certainly suspect capacitors myself. Also as I found out which
was discussed here, any kind of stuff that is on a pcb can go conductive
after some years.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Dave Plowman (News)" <dave@davenoise.co.uk> wrote in message
> Got an odd fault on the ancient AV system in the bedroom. It uses a 40
> year old Linsey-Hood amp built by a workmate some 40 years ago.
>
> When you switch the room lights on or off, it occasionally starts humming.
> Quite loud, but no where near full output. Sounds just like mains hum.
> Power it down, and it's OK again.
>
> Not having experience this sort of fault before, anyone give a guess at
> the fix?
>
> The odd thing is it seems to come from both speakers, which to me would
> rule out a power amp fault. I can easily unplug the pre-amp, and it still
> happens. So maybe the power amp power supply?
>
> --
> *A bartender is just a pharmacist with a limited inventory *
>
> Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW
> To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Re: Odd fault.

<598838e0f6dave@davenoise.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=936&group=uk.rec.audio#936

From: dav...@davenoise.co.uk (Dave Plowman (News))
Newsgroups: uk.rec.audio
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2021 15:46:23 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Dave Plowman (News) - Mon, 8 Nov 2021 15:46 UTC

In article <smbf68$adu$1@dont-email.me>,
Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) <briang1@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> Yes but maybe also some other interference is coming up the mains and
> not being tackled very well. I used to have a dimmer you could plainly
> here when it was on in the speakers of a Tandberg amplifier, mind you
> that beast had a wide open door for everything from the local sea
> cadets, to radio china and thermostats. Perhaps the Norwegians don't
> have that issue?

It is normally absolutely interference free, Brian. It's a switching splat
of some sort that sets it off. And not every time, either. I have
electrically operated curtains in this room, and the motor switching off
does it pretty well every time. Odd, as the lights and curtains are on the
lighting circuit, the amp on the ring main.

--
*A bartender is just a pharmacist with a limited inventory *

Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Re: Odd fault.

<iut8avF4n63U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=937&group=uk.rec.audio#937

From: tre...@rageaudio.com.au (Trevor Wilson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.audio
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2021 05:24:31 +1100
 by: Trevor Wilson - Mon, 8 Nov 2021 18:24 UTC

On 9/11/2021 2:19 am, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
> Yes but maybe also some other interference is coming up the mains and not
> being tackled very well. I used to have a dimmer you could plainly here when
> it was on in the speakers of a Tandberg amplifier, mind you that beast had a
> wide open door for everything from the local sea cadets, to radio china and
> thermostats. Perhaps the Norwegians don't have that issue?
>
> I would most certainly suspect capacitors myself. Also as I found out which
> was discussed here, any kind of stuff that is on a pcb can go conductive
> after some years.
> Brian

**Interference does not "come up the mains". It is radiated by mains
wiring.

Re: Odd fault.

<618973ea.34730359@news.eternal-september.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=938&group=uk.rec.audio#938

From: spa...@spam.com (Don Pearce)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.audio
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2021 19:02:08 GMT
 by: Don Pearce - Mon, 8 Nov 2021 19:02 UTC

On Tue, 9 Nov 2021 05:24:31 +1100, Trevor Wilson
<trevor@rageaudio.com.au> wrote:

>On 9/11/2021 2:19 am, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
>> Yes but maybe also some other interference is coming up the mains and not
>> being tackled very well. I used to have a dimmer you could plainly here when
>> it was on in the speakers of a Tandberg amplifier, mind you that beast had a
>> wide open door for everything from the local sea cadets, to radio china and
>> thermostats. Perhaps the Norwegians don't have that issue?
>>
>> I would most certainly suspect capacitors myself. Also as I found out which
>> was discussed here, any kind of stuff that is on a pcb can go conductive
>> after some years.
>> Brian
>>

>**Interference does not "come up the mains". It is radiated by mains
>wiring.
I've conducted many EMC approvals on mains power supplies. There are
two categories - radiated and conducted.

Re: Odd fault.

<a28b1314-7921-43fa-bf00-71496e8dd472n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=939&group=uk.rec.audio#939

Newsgroups: uk.rec.audio
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2021 12:04:36 -0800 (PST)
From: palliso...@gmail.com (Phil Allison)
 by: Phil Allison - Mon, 8 Nov 2021 20:04 UTC

Trevor Wilson wrote:
===============

> **Interference does not "come up the mains". It is radiated by mains
> wiring.

** Yes, that popular notion is a huge myth that sells useless, plug in line filters to desperate audiophools.

Broad band impulse noise from thermostats being the worst culprit.
Radiated as RF energy, mostly in the MW band.

....... Phil

Re: Odd fault.

<5012e602-d601-4fc1-88e0-618dc6d9ecbcn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=940&group=uk.rec.audio#940

Newsgroups: uk.rec.audio
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2021 12:10:12 -0800 (PST)
From: palliso...@gmail.com (Phil Allison)
 by: Phil Allison - Mon, 8 Nov 2021 20:10 UTC

Dickhead Pearce wrote more Drivel:
=============================

> >**Interference does not "come up the mains". It is radiated by mains
> >wiring.
>
> I've conducted many EMC approvals on mains power supplies.

** Yawwnnnnn - not one bit relevant here.

> There are two categories - radiated and conducted.

** Conducted RF current in the AC power cabling radiates.

According to physical laws discovered by some guy called Maxwell.......

....... Phil

Re: Odd fault.

<iutf2gF5v3uU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=941&group=uk.rec.audio#941

From: tre...@rageaudio.com.au (Trevor Wilson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.audio
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2021 07:19:28 +1100
 by: Trevor Wilson - Mon, 8 Nov 2021 20:19 UTC

On 9/11/2021 7:04 am, Phil Allison wrote:
> Trevor Wilson wrote:
> ===============
>>
>> **Interference does not "come up the mains". It is radiated by mains
>> wiring.
>>

> ** Yes, that popular notion is a huge myth that sells useless, plug in line filters to desperate audiophools.

**Yep. Trying to explain that fact got me banned from a popular audio
group. The advertisers of such useless products got upset with me.

> Broad band impulse noise from thermostats being the worst culprit.
> Radiated as RF energy, mostly in the MW band.

**Yep.

Re: Odd fault.

<61899053.42002859@news.eternal-september.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=942&group=uk.rec.audio#942

From: spa...@spam.com (Don Pearce)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.audio
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2021 21:03:23 GMT
 by: Don Pearce - Mon, 8 Nov 2021 21:03 UTC

On Mon, 8 Nov 2021 12:10:12 -0800 (PST), Phil Allison
<pallison49@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dickhead Pearce wrote more Drivel:
>=============================
> > >
>> >**Interference does not "come up the mains". It is radiated by mains
>> >wiring.
>>
>> I've conducted many EMC approvals on mains power supplies.
>
>** Yawwnnnnn - not one bit relevant here.
>
>> There are two categories - radiated and conducted.
>
>** Conducted RF current in the AC power cabling radiates.
>
> According to physical laws discovered by some guy called Maxwell.......

Obviously. That's why you have to do a radiated test as well as a
conducted one. Jeez - would have thought that was obvious enough not
to need comment.

Re: Odd fault.

<61899136.42230250@news.eternal-september.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=943&group=uk.rec.audio#943

From: spa...@spam.com (Don Pearce)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.audio
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2021 21:07:51 GMT
 by: Don Pearce - Mon, 8 Nov 2021 21:07 UTC

<pallison49@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dickhead Pearce wrote more Drivel:
>=============================
> > >
>> >**Interference does not "come up the mains". It is radiated by mains
>> >wiring.
>>
>> I've conducted many EMC approvals on mains power supplies.
>
>** Yawwnnnnn - not one bit relevant here.
>
>> There are two categories - radiated and conducted.
>
>** Conducted RF current in the AC power cabling radiates.
>
> According to physical laws discovered by some guy called Maxwell.......
>

>...... Phil

Learn a few things from an actual test house. These are the people I
would have had to satisfy. I'm sure they would have been impressed by
you if you showed up with a piece of kit and told them there was no
such thing as conducted EMI.

https://emcfastpass.com/emc-testing-beginners-guide/emissions/

Re: Odd fault.

<fb64ed07-2fb9-43fb-bb68-130badd4acecn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=944&group=uk.rec.audio#944

Newsgroups: uk.rec.audio
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2021 14:13:01 -0800 (PST)
From: palliso...@gmail.com (Phil Allison)
 by: Phil Allison - Mon, 8 Nov 2021 22:13 UTC

Dickhead Pearce wrote more Drivel:
=============================

> >> I've conducted many EMC approvals on mains power supplies.
> >
> >** Yawwnnnnn - not one bit relevant here.
> >
> >> There are two categories - radiated and conducted.
> >
> >** Conducted RF current in the AC power cabling radiates.
> >
> > According to physical laws discovered by some guy called Maxwell.......
> >
> Obviously.

** Not to you.

> That's why you have to do a radiated test as well as a
> conducted one.

** Conducted RF radiates.

The distinction is moot - like you IDIOT post.

FOAD troll
...... Phil

Re: Odd fault.

<af29424f-5844-4943-9a5b-69f71542371en@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=945&group=uk.rec.audio#945

Newsgroups: uk.rec.audio
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2021 14:15:50 -0800 (PST)
From: palliso...@gmail.com (Phil Allison)
 by: Phil Allison - Mon, 8 Nov 2021 22:15 UTC

Dickhead Pearce wrote more Drivel:
=============================

> >> I've conducted many EMC approvals on mains power supplies.
> >
> >** Yawwnnnnn - not one bit relevant here.
> >
> >> There are two categories - radiated and conducted.
> >
> >** Conducted RF current in the AC power cabling radiates.
> >
> > According to physical laws discovered by some guy called Maxwell.......
> >

> Learn a few things from an actual test house.

** Nothing for me to learn there.

All " rule fool" regulation following BS - not real world fact fact.

FOAD troll

...... Phil

Re: Odd fault.

<618a2e7a.144046@news.eternal-september.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=946&group=uk.rec.audio#946

From: spa...@spam.com (Don Pearce)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.audio
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2021 08:21:34 GMT
 by: Don Pearce - Tue, 9 Nov 2021 08:21 UTC

On Mon, 8 Nov 2021 14:15:50 -0800 (PST), Phil Allison
<pallison49@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dickhead Pearce wrote more Drivel:
>=============================

>> >** Yawwnnnnn - not one bit relevant here.

>> >** Conducted RF current in the AC power cabling radiates.
>> >
>> > According to physical laws discovered by some guy called Maxwell.......
>> >

>> Learn a few things from an actual test house.
>
>** Nothing for me to learn there.
>
> All " rule fool" regulation following BS - not real world fact fact.
>
> FOAD troll
>

>..... Phil
You are probably right. Nothing you are capable of learning there. You
already know it all and years of experience from others will mean
nothing to you. This applies even when you can get it from the horse's
mouth - me. When I was designing low noise signal generators and
analysers for Marconi Instruments we had to design our own mains
filters to feed each row of benches. Without them the conducted crap
in the building's mains wrecked all our measurements.

Conducted, not radiated. Our enclosures were very well sealed against
RF incursion.

Wasted words, of course, but they need to be out there so others can
understand how the real world operates - not the fairyland inside
Phil's head.

Re: Odd fault.

<2c68c2dc-94a9-4a00-8821-66812df09eb1n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=947&group=uk.rec.audio#947

Newsgroups: uk.rec.audio
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2021 01:22:24 -0800 (PST)
From: palliso...@gmail.com (Phil Allison)
 by: Phil Allison - Tue, 9 Nov 2021 09:22 UTC

Dickhead Pearce wrote more Drivel:
=============================

> >> Learn a few things from an actual test house.
> >
> >** Nothing for me to learn there.
> >
> > All " rule fool" regulation following BS - not real world fact fact.
> >
> > FOAD troll
>>

> You are probably right. Nothing you are capable of learning there. You
> already know it all and years of experience from others will mean
> nothing to you. This applies even when you can get it from the horse's
> mouth - me.

** Don's anatomy is just a bit off.
Every bit of his vile crapology comes straight from the horse's arse.

Very smelly = peeuukee

...... Phil

Re: Odd fault.

<59889c9183noise@audiomisc.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=948&group=uk.rec.audio#948

From: noi...@audiomisc.co.uk (Jim Lesurf)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.audio
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2021 09:55:15 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Jim Lesurf - Tue, 9 Nov 2021 09:55 UTC

In article <618973ea.34730359@news.eternal-september.org>, Don Pearce
<spam@spam.com> wrote:

> >**Interference does not "come up the mains". It is radiated by mains
> >wiring.
> I've conducted many EMC approvals on mains power supplies. There are two
> categories - radiated and conducted.

Yes. I've experienced, measured, and fixed both types.

e,g, The Nak cassette deck I use has a flaw. Brief spikes on the mains can
re-set the counter. The makers issued an add-in sheet to the manual saying
you should fit an internal cap in a key location.

However when my deck kept doing it I added a small RF filter to the mains
lead. No more problem.

Jim

Electronics https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~www_pa/Scots_Guide/intro/electron.htm

Re: Odd fault.

<682003b4-d64f-4da4-bc44-2187bd6ac88en@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=949&group=uk.rec.audio#949

Newsgroups: uk.rec.audio
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2021 13:28:33 -0800 (PST)
From: palliso...@gmail.com (Phil Allison)
 by: Phil Allison - Wed, 10 Nov 2021 21:28 UTC

Jim Lesurf wrote:
=============

> > >**Interference does not "come up the mains". It is radiated by mains
> > >wiring.
>
> > I've conducted many EMC approvals on mains power supplies. There are two
> > categories - radiated and conducted.
>
> Yes. I've experienced, measured, and fixed both types.
>
> e,g, The Nak cassette deck I use has a flaw. Brief spikes on the mains can
> re-set the counter.

** Different issue.
Audible pops and clicks are the issue.

>The makers issued an add-in sheet to the manual saying
> you should fit an internal cap in a key location.

** How uninformative.

Bet the real issue was missing or suppressed cycles due to inrush surges.
DBX160 compressors used to mute when that happened.

Could stop a whole PA system during a live show.

....... Phil