Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 6 May 2022 10:25:47 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Peterborough delivery driver who killed 89-year-old cyclist jailed for 13 months
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Fri, 6 May 2022 17:25 UTC

A Peterborough delivery driver who struck and killed an elderly cyclist at a roundabout in Cambridge has been jailed.

Omar Camara-Taborda, 33, was just finishing his shift and was driving in Newmarket Road on 25 March, 2020.

He approached the Barnwell Road roundabout but failed to see the cyclist ahead of him and knocked the 89-year-old off his bike.

The cyclist, Kenneth Turner, of Humberstone Road, Cambridge, was not wearing a helmet ( so what - sm) and was taken to hospital but died of his injuries the following day.

A post-mortem concluded he died of multiple traumatic injuries as a result of a road traffic collision.

When officers arrived, Camara-Taborda claimed he had left his driving licence at the delivery depot. He said he held a full Portuguese licence and was asked to produce this within seven days.

The following day he attended Thorpe Wood enquiry office in Peterborough where he produced a fraudulent Portuguese licence.

Further checks with the DVLA revealed that, in reality, he held a UK provisional licence and had lied to obtain insurance. He also failed to disclose a previous motoring conviction and penalty points.

Camara-Taborda was interviewed at the roadside and admitted he was the driver of the van but claimed he didn’t see the cyclist until he was in front of his van.

However, in police interview, he answered “no comment” to all questions.

Camara-Taborda, of Percival Street, Peterborough, stood trial at Peterborough Crown Court where he was found guilty of causing death by careless driving.

He later also admitted further charges of possessing a false identity document with intent and fraud.

He was sentenced at the same court yesterday (Thursday 5 May), where he was jailed for one year and one month. He was also disqualified from driving for two and a half years, with the requirement to take an extended retest.

Detective Sergeant Mark Dollard, of the Beds, Cambs and Herts (BCH) Road Policing Unit, said: “It’s incredibly sad when we have to attend incidents where drivers have made a mistake resulting in tragedy.

“It is vital that people drive in a safe, considerate way to prevent awful instances like this in future.

“We attend these kinds of incidents far too often and many are completely avoidable.”

https://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/news/crime/peterborough-delivery-driver-who-killed-89-year-old-cyclist-jailed-for-13-months-3682830

Re: Peterborough delivery driver who killed 89-year-old cyclist jailed for 13 months

<20c33a34-9115-4c0c-9599-844ab7f15110n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9397&group=uk.rec.cycling#9397

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 7 May 2022 00:38:38 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Peterborough delivery driver who killed 89-year-old cyclist
jailed for 13 months
From: cmike8...@gmail.com (Mike Collins)
 by: Mike Collins - Sat, 7 May 2022 07:38 UTC

On Friday, 6 May 2022 at 18:25:48 UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> A Peterborough delivery driver who struck and killed an elderly cyclist at a roundabout in Cambridge has been jailed.
>
> Omar Camara-Taborda, 33, was just finishing his shift and was driving in Newmarket Road on 25 March, 2020.
>
> He approached the Barnwell Road roundabout but failed to see the cyclist ahead of him and knocked the 89-year-old off his bike.
>
> The cyclist, Kenneth Turner, of Humberstone Road, Cambridge, was not wearing a helmet ( so what - sm) and was taken to hospital but died of his injuries the following day.
>
> A post-mortem concluded he died of multiple traumatic injuries as a result of a road traffic collision.
>
> When officers arrived, Camara-Taborda claimed he had left his driving licence at the delivery depot. He said he held a full Portuguese licence and was asked to produce this within seven days.
>
> The following day he attended Thorpe Wood enquiry office in Peterborough where he produced a fraudulent Portuguese licence.
>
> Further checks with the DVLA revealed that, in reality, he held a UK provisional licence and had lied to obtain insurance. He also failed to disclose a previous motoring conviction and penalty points.
>
> Camara-Taborda was interviewed at the roadside and admitted he was the driver of the van but claimed he didn’t see the cyclist until he was in front of his van.
>
> However, in police interview, he answered “no comment” to all questions.
>
> Camara-Taborda, of Percival Street, Peterborough, stood trial at Peterborough Crown Court where he was found guilty of causing death by careless driving.
>
> He later also admitted further charges of possessing a false identity document with intent and fraud.
>
> He was sentenced at the same court yesterday (Thursday 5 May), where he was jailed for one year and one month. He was also disqualified from driving for two and a half years, with the requirement to take an extended retest.
>
> Detective Sergeant Mark Dollard, of the Beds, Cambs and Herts (BCH) Road Policing Unit, said: “It’s incredibly sad when we have to attend incidents where drivers have made a mistake resulting in tragedy.
>
> “It is vital that people drive in a safe, considerate way to prevent awful instances like this in future.
>
> “We attend these kinds of incidents far too often and many are completely avoidable.”
>
> https://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/news/crime/peterborough-delivery-driver-who-killed-89-year-old-cyclist-jailed-for-13-months-3682830

I am sure the motorvehiclist did not intend to harm anyone but that just proves how dangerous motor vehicles are.
A temporary 10mph speed limit until all motor vehicles have the driver airbags removed and a 12" metal spike placed in the middle of the steering wheel and make motorcycle helmets illegal.

Re: Peterborough delivery driver who killed 89-year-old cyclist jailed for 13 months

<40849545-6ffc-4b19-8d3b-313a8f6a01cdn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9496&group=uk.rec.cycling#9496

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 9 May 2022 03:40:13 -0700 (PDT)
jailed for 13 months
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Mon, 9 May 2022 10:40 UTC

On Saturday, May 7, 2022 at 8:38:39 AM UTC+1, Mike Collins wrote:

> > https://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/news/crime/peterborough-delivery-driver-who-killed-89-year-old-cyclist-jailed-for-13-months-3682830
> I am sure the motorvehiclist did not intend to harm anyone but that just proves how dangerous motor vehicles are.
> A temporary 10mph speed limit until all motor vehicles have the driver airbags removed and a 12" metal spike placed in the middle of the steering wheel and make motorcycle helmets illegal.

mdavidford replied to EK Spinner | 3328 posts | 53 min ago
0 likes

EK Spinner wrote:

It will also be interesting to hear what the consequences are for his employer

I would guess he effectively was the employer. The 'company (link is external)' he was working for is subject to an 'active proposal to strike off' - likely because the only employee is now behind bars.