Go to a movie tonight. Darkness becomes you.

aus+uk / uk.rec.audio / Battery leakage damage

SubjectAuthor
* Battery leakage damageBrian Gaff \(Sofa\)
+* Re: Battery leakage damageDon Pearce
|+- Re: Battery leakage damageDave Plowman (News)
|`- Re: Battery leakage damageBrian Gaff \(Sofa\)
`* Re: Battery leakage damageUnsteadyken
 `* Re: Battery leakage damageBrian Gaff \(Sofa\)
  `- Re: Battery leakage damageAdrian Caspersz

1
Battery leakage damage

<sphjr8$72p$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=950&group=uk.rec.audio#950

From: bria...@blueyonder.co.uk (Brian Gaff \(Sofa\))
Newsgroups: uk.rec.audio
Subject: Battery leakage damage
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2021 09:04:35 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) - Fri, 17 Dec 2021 09:04 UTC

On a portable radio I have a slight weep has occurred on one end of a
battery, of the alkaline type and the springs surface has become non
conductive. If I can get it apart to get to the spring, is there some
substance I can use on it to remove this rough coating? It kind of looks
like rust, but its hard to tell. Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!

Re: Battery leakage damage

<61bc5e57.206906@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=951&group=uk.rec.audio#951

From: spa...@spam.com (Don Pearce)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.audio
Subject: Re: Battery leakage damage
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2021 09:58:12 GMT
 by: Don Pearce - Fri, 17 Dec 2021 09:58 UTC

On Fri, 17 Dec 2021 09:04:35 -0000, "Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)"
<briang1@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>On a portable radio I have a slight weep has occurred on one end of a
>battery, of the alkaline type and the springs surface has become non
>conductive. If I can get it apart to get to the spring, is there some
>substance I can use on it to remove this rough coating? It kind of looks
>like rust, but its hard to tell. Brian

Acid 9kettle descaler) will get rid of the surface nastiness. The
problem is that you have lost the plating that gives you a reliable
contact. I've made repairs to this situation before with adhesive
copper foil. Stick a piece over the contact and solder it at the edge.
This will do about as well as you can expect short of cannibalizing
some other device for its battery terminal and grafting that in.

Re: Battery leakage damage

<MPG.3c2688e53dabc3729897a7@News.Individual.NET>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=952&group=uk.rec.audio#952

From: unsteady...@gmail.com (Unsteadyken)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.audio
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2021 11:46:26 -0000
 by: Unsteadyken - Fri, 17 Dec 2021 11:46 UTC

In article <sphjr8$72p$1@dont-email.me>,
Brian Gaff (Sofa) says...

> is there some
> substance I can use on it to remove this rough coating?

Emery paper?.

--
Ken

Re: Battery leakage damage

<599c4cfe89dave@davenoise.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=953&group=uk.rec.audio#953

From: dav...@davenoise.co.uk (Dave Plowman (News))
Newsgroups: uk.rec.audio
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2021 15:30:09 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Dave Plowman (News) - Fri, 17 Dec 2021 15:30 UTC

In article <61bc5e57.206906@news.eternal-september.org>,
Don Pearce <spam@spam.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Dec 2021 09:04:35 -0000, "Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)"
> <briang1@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> >On a portable radio I have a slight weep has occurred on one end of a
> >battery, of the alkaline type and the springs surface has become non
> >conductive. If I can get it apart to get to the spring, is there some
> >substance I can use on it to remove this rough coating? It kind of looks
> >like rust, but its hard to tell. Brian

> Acid 9kettle descaler) will get rid of the surface nastiness. The
> problem is that you have lost the plating that gives you a reliable
> contact. I've made repairs to this situation before with adhesive
> copper foil. Stick a piece over the contact and solder it at the edge.
> This will do about as well as you can expect short of cannibalizing
> some other device for its battery terminal and grafting that in.

It's an ongoing problem. Watching Repair Shop, they seem to be able to do
silver plating easily. Wonder if something similar could be used?

--
*Why is it that to stop Windows 95, you have to click on "Start"?

Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Re: Battery leakage damage

<spian3$5gc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=954&group=uk.rec.audio#954

From: bria...@blueyonder.co.uk (Brian Gaff \(Sofa\))
Newsgroups: uk.rec.audio
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2021 15:34:54 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) - Fri, 17 Dec 2021 15:34 UTC

Oh, I rather thought that might be the case. I also have a very nice Pifco
battery so called daylight torch, its a little tube powered by a number of D
cells and very useful for people hunting in dark corners for stuff I lost,
but the switch, a slide one only turns on in the middle of its slide, and
sounds graunchy, I suspect a similar fate has befallen this device at some
time and the brass contacts are now coated with something. Of course there
are no obvious screws to take it apart, just a place to replace the normal
twist in begin tube.
I guess these are just meant to be a bin job. sigh.

"Don Pearce" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message
> On Fri, 17 Dec 2021 09:04:35 -0000, "Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)"
> <briang1@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>On a portable radio I have a slight weep has occurred on one end of a
>>battery, of the alkaline type and the springs surface has become non
>>conductive. If I can get it apart to get to the spring, is there some
>>substance I can use on it to remove this rough coating? It kind of looks
>>like rust, but its hard to tell. Brian
>
> Acid 9kettle descaler) will get rid of the surface nastiness. The
> problem is that you have lost the plating that gives you a reliable
> contact. I've made repairs to this situation before with adhesive
> copper foil. Stick a piece over the contact and solder it at the edge.
> This will do about as well as you can expect short of cannibalizing
> some other device for its battery terminal and grafting that in.

> --

Re: Battery leakage damage

<spib00$7k4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=955&group=uk.rec.audio#955

From: bria...@blueyonder.co.uk (Brian Gaff \(Sofa\))
Newsgroups: uk.rec.audio
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2021 15:39:40 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) - Fri, 17 Dec 2021 15:39 UTC

I have never found that to work very well, but that may well be the lack of
plating as mentioned elsewhere.

In them olden days things used to run on pp3s and hence the only damage to
radios was that you needed a new press stud connector, this runs on two As
and the spring is way down the bit you can only touch with your finger.
It also has those naff slide band switches on for AM FM and short wave, the
other for the bands in the short wave section. Of course getting all these
controls lined up and not destroying the dial string while extricating seems
to be a job for a child sized hand. grin.

"Unsteadyken" <unsteadyken@gmail.com> wrote in message
> In article <sphjr8$72p$1@dont-email.me>,
>
> Brian Gaff (Sofa) says...
>
>> is there some
>> substance I can use on it to remove this rough coating?
>>
> Emery paper?.
>

> --
> Ken

Re: Battery leakage damage

<j25di2F3u3kU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=956&group=uk.rec.audio#956

From: ema...@here.invalid (Adrian Caspersz)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.audio
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2021 06:31:30 +0000
 by: Adrian Caspersz - Sat, 18 Dec 2021 06:31 UTC

On 17/12/2021 15:39, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
> I have never found that to work very well, but that may well be the lack of
> plating as mentioned elsewhere.
>
> In them olden days things used to run on pp3s and hence the only damage to
> radios was that you needed a new press stud connector, this runs on two As

Convert it to run on a single 18650 lithium?

--
Adrian C