From: wib...@btinternet.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Subject: Roadside apple trees - self seeded or planted?
Date: 14 May 2021 14:31:22 GMT
 by: David - Fri, 14 May 2021 14:31 UTC

Some of the road sides out in the country here have very pretty apple
trees mixed in with the other trees and bushes.
Others do not.
There is no obvious pattern.

The choice seems to be self seeded from discarded apple cores, or
deliberately planted by some thoughtful person or persons.

I was favouring the apple core theory, but it then occurred to me that I
cannot recall seeing a single apple tree grown from the many years of
rotting apples left behind as windfalls in various gardens.

What does the team think?

Discarded apples or deliberately planted?

Cheers

Dave R

Re: Roadside apple trees - self seeded or planted?

<s7m5ib$khi$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=951&group=uk.rec.gardening#951

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Subject: Re: Roadside apple trees - self seeded or planted?
Date: Fri, 14 May 2021 16:38:51 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Fri, 14 May 2021 15:38 UTC

On 14/05/2021 15:31, David wrote:
> Some of the road sides out in the country here have very pretty apple
> trees mixed in with the other trees and bushes.
> Others do not.
> There is no obvious pattern.
>
> The choice seems to be self seeded from discarded apple cores, or
> deliberately planted by some thoughtful person or persons.
>
> I was favouring the apple core theory, but it then occurred to me that I
> cannot recall seeing a single apple tree grown from the many years of
> rotting apples left behind as windfalls in various gardens.
>
> What does the team think?
>
> Discarded apples or deliberately planted?

Some varieties will self seed - crabs especially.
Nice blossom, poor fruit.

Same with plums - I have wild mirabelle and bullace here as well as
cultivars

> Cheers
>

> Dave R

Re: Roadside apple trees - self seeded or planted?

<en3gnhxglq.ln2@threeformcow.myzen.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=961&group=uk.rec.gardening#961

From: news20k....@threeformcow.myzen.co.uk (#Paul)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Wed, 19 May 2021 19:58:22 +0100
 by: #Paul - Wed, 19 May 2021 18:58 UTC

The Natural Philosopher <tnp@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> Some varieties will self seed - crabs especially.
> Nice blossom, poor fruit.

My parents had a crab apple in their garden along with
a range of other apple trees. At the end of a really
good summer, if you looked carefully, there were some
that had gone very red and could even be sweet enough
to eat (or nibble, at least). But mostly they just went
into making vast quantities of crab apple jelly.

#Paul