She liked him; he was a man of many qualities, even if most of them were bad.

aus+uk / uk.rec.sheds / Turnip?

SubjectAuthor
* Turnip?RustyHinge
+* Turnip?Tone
|`- Turnip?Don Stockbauer
+* Turnip?Tease'n'Seize
|`- Turnip?Peter
+* Turnip?Ahem A Rivet's Shot
|+* Turnip?Richard Robinson
||`- Turnip?Ahem A Rivet's Shot
|`- Turnip?Adrian
`* Turnip?Mike Spencer
 +- Turnip?RustyHinge
 `* Turnip?Nick Odell
  `- Turnip?Mike Spencer

1
Turnip?

<t3l12o$cs3$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9500&group=uk.rec.sheds#9500

From: rusty.hi...@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Subject: Turnip?
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 01:51:35 +0100
 by: RustyHinge - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 00:51 UTC

Received a text today saying that an arj replacement Monzo card has been
requested to an arj address updated on my account. If this was not me,
please visit uggcf://zbamb-bayvar-ncc.pbz purporting to be sent from a
Uk teffylone number.

I've never heard of zbamb and the message dozen say *which* account, so
I'm assuming yjat this is a Cunning Plan to get me to visit the wibble.

No doubt Sheddi will be too wise to goove 'Nothing to do with me mate,
thanx for the warning' and visit the wibble accordingly if they get such
a message, but be warned. Someone's hfvat sci kolodgy.

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: Turnip?

<t3l549$590$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9501&group=uk.rec.sheds#9501

From: ton...@email.com (Tone)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Subject: Re: Turnip?
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 03:00:41 +0100
 by: Tone - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 02:00 UTC

On 19/04/2022 01:51, RustyHinge wrote:
> Received a text today saying that an arj replacement Monzo card has been
> requested to an arj address updated on my account. If this was not me,
> please visit uggcf://zbamb-bayvar-ncc.pbz purporting to be sent from a
> Uk teffylone number.
>
> I've never heard of zbamb and the message dozen say *which* account, so
> I'm assuming yjat this is a Cunning Plan to get me to visit the wibble.
>
> No doubt Sheddi will be too wise to goove 'Nothing to do with me mate,
> thanx for the warning' and visit the wibble accordingly if they get such
> a message, but be warned. Someone's hfvat sci kolodgy.

As a matter of course I never open/visit anything online that I don't
know about.

Tone

Re: Turnip?

<b0cfc1e5-adcf-4e5b-96fb-e3298726c1ddn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9502&group=uk.rec.sheds#9502

Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 22:26:40 -0700 (PDT)
From: donstock...@hotmail.com (Don Stockbauer)
 by: Don Stockbauer - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 05:26 UTC

On Monday, April 18, 2022 at 9:00:43 PM UTC-5, Tone wrote:
> On 19/04/2022 01:51, RustyHinge wrote:
> > Received a text today saying that an arj replacement Monzo card has been
> > requested to an arj address updated on my account. If this was not me,
> > please visit uggcf://zbamb-bayvar-ncc.pbz purporting to be sent from a
> > Uk teffylone number.
> >
> > I've never heard of zbamb and the message dozen say *which* account, so
> > I'm assuming yjat this is a Cunning Plan to get me to visit the wibble.
> >
> > No doubt Sheddi will be too wise to goove 'Nothing to do with me mate,
> > thanx for the warning' and visit the wibble accordingly if they get such
> > a message, but be warned. Someone's hfvat sci kolodgy.
> >
> As a matter of course I never open/visit anything online that I don't
> know about.
>
> Tone

I extend that rule to everything in real life also.

Re: Turnip?

<teWdnU7n_pilw8P_nZ2dnUU7-dudnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9503&group=uk.rec.sheds#9503

Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 08:01:11 +0100
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: tease-an...@invalid (Tease'n'Seize)
 by: Tease'n'Se - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 07:01 UTC

RustyHinge wrote:

> I'm assuming yjat this is a Cunning Plan to get me to visit the wibble.

phyrefocks flags it as a deceptive site and doesn't want to go there ...

Re: Turnip?

<20220419090332.e111c087d738a31167c0bf30@eircom.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9506&group=uk.rec.sheds#9506

From: ste...@eircom.net (Ahem A Rivet's Shot)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 09:03:32 +0100
 by: Ahem A Rivet's - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 08:03 UTC

On Tue, 19 Apr 2022 01:51:35 +0100
RustyHinge <rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote:

> Received a text today saying that an arj replacement Monzo card has been
> requested to an arj address updated on my account. If this was not me,
> please visit uggcf://zbamb-bayvar-ncc.pbz purporting to be sent from a
> Uk teffylone number.
>
> I've never heard of zbamb and the message dozen say *which* account, so
> I'm assuming yjat this is a Cunning Plan to get me to visit the wibble.

Yep - any email or text referencing a non-existent account with an
institution you don't deal with is spam or (very very very low probability)
sent to the wrong emule addy. Either way delete and forget.

On the rare occasion the spamming nefrwipes hit the jackpot and
actually name something you use it is almost always so far from the normal
phrasing as to be obviously fake. Delete and forget.

If it looks real - call the institute with the phone number you
already know. If it is real tell them off for sending something that looks
like good quality spam!

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/

Re: Turnip?

<XnsAE7E7661EA3B4Factura3476@144.76.35.252>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9507&group=uk.rec.sheds#9507

From: mys...@prune.org.uk (Peter)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 10:38:15 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Peter - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 10:38 UTC

Tease'n'Seize <tease-and-seize@invalid> wrote in

> RustyHinge wrote:
>
>> I'm assuming yjat this is a Cunning Plan to get me to visit the wibble.
>
> phyrefocks flags it as a deceptive site and doesn't want to go there ...

Likewise Vivaldi.

--
Peter
-----

Re: Turnip?

<DrGdnaWryqeoC8P_nZ2dnUU7-SfNnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9508&group=uk.rec.sheds#9508

Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: richa...@privacy.net (Richard Robinson)
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 06:00:05 -0500
 by: Richard Robinson - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 11:00 UTC

Ahem A Rivet's Shot said:
> On Tue, 19 Apr 2022 01:51:35 +0100
> RustyHinge <rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Received a text today saying that an arj replacement Monzo card has been
>> requested to an arj address updated on my account. If this was not me,
>> please visit uggcf://zbamb-bayvar-ncc.pbz purporting to be sent from a
>> Uk teffylone number.
>>
>> I've never heard of zbamb and the message dozen say *which* account, so
>> I'm assuming yjat this is a Cunning Plan to get me to visit the wibble.
>
> Yep - any email or text referencing a non-existent account with an
> institution you don't deal with is spam or (very very very low probability)
> sent to the wrong emule addy. Either way delete and forget.

The one I get tend to avoid this trap by sticking with hand-waving
generalities - "your bank", "your ISP", etc, without naming names.

The "we have a delivery for you, please go to our website to set a
new time" nearly had me. Until it asked me to "provide ur bank details"
(having already asked for other info that a real delivery would have
known).

But I get the impression that they're mostly giving up on the
deliberate-mistake sucker-filter.

--
Richard Robinson

My email address is at http://qualmograph.org.uk/contact.html

Re: Turnip?

<20220419153120.e25f932d378725a39143e6a9@eircom.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9515&group=uk.rec.sheds#9515

From: ste...@eircom.net (Ahem A Rivet's Shot)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 15:31:20 +0100
 by: Ahem A Rivet's - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 14:31 UTC

On Tue, 19 Apr 2022 06:00:05 -0500
Richard Robinson <richardR@privacy.net> wrote:

> The one I get tend to avoid this trap by sticking with hand-waving
> generalities - "your bank", "your ISP", etc, without naming names.

Even less convincing IMHO.

I get quite a few claiming to be the cpanel for sohara.org and
telling me my inbox storage is full. Those might be more convincing if I
wasn't running my own servers.

> The "we have a delivery for you, please go to our website to set a
> new time" nearly had me. Until it asked me to "provide ur bank details"
> (having already asked for other info that a real delivery would have
> known).

I get too many real deliveries - the tone (not Tone) of those is
always so far off as to be obvious at first sight.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/

Re: Turnip?

<T4BEh0QWLwXiFwrH@ku.gro.lloiff>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9519&group=uk.rec.sheds#9519

From: bull...@ku.gro.lioff (Adrian)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 19:43:34 +0100
 by: Adrian - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 18:43 UTC

In message <20220419090332.e111c087d738a31167c0bf30@eircom.net>, Ahem A
Rivet's Shot <steveo@eircom.net> writes
> Yep - any email or text referencing a non-existent account with an
>institution you don't deal with is spam or (very very very low probability)
>sent to the wrong emule addy. Either way delete and forget.

In the dim and distant past, I used to get such emus on a regular basis,
but I never had one for a onax that I had an account with. The fact
that the emus were sent to (and IIRC occasionally from) Demon message
ids (which had the same format as an emu address) was also something of
a give away.

Adrian
--
To Reply :
Sorry for the rigmarole, If I want spam, I'll go to the shops

Re: Turnip?

<87pmlctvyv.fsf@bogus.nodomain.nowhere>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9520&group=uk.rec.sheds#9520

From: mds...@bogus.nodomain.nowhere (Mike Spencer)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: 19 Apr 2022 21:55:04 -0300
 by: Mike Spencer - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 00:55 UTC

RustyHinge <rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk> writes:

> Received a text today saying that an arj replacement Monzo card has been
> requested to an arj address updated on my account. If this was not me,
> please visit uggcf://zbamb-bayvar-ncc.pbz purporting to be sent from a
> Uk teffylone number.
>
> I've never heard of zbamb and the message dozen say *which* account, so
> I'm assuming yjat this is a Cunning Plan to get me to visit the wibble.

I don't know what a Monzo card is. Would you expect to contact
someone in Russia to deal with one?

bogus% host monzo-online-app.com

monzo-online-app.com has address 62.204.41.174

bogus% whois -H -h whois.arin.net 62.204.41.174

% Information related to '62.204.41.0 - 62.204.41.255'

% Abuse contact for '62.204.41.0 - 62.204.41.255' is
'abuse@gorizontllc.msk.ru'

inetnum: 62.204.41.0 - 62.204.41.255
netname: RU-HORIZONMSK-20211008
country: RU
org: ORG-HL276-RIPE
admin-c: EA7219-RIPE
tech-c: EA7219-RIPE
status: ALLOCATED PA
mnt-by: lir-ru-horizonmsk-1-MNT
mnt-by: RIPE-NCC-HM-MNT
mnt-lower: lir-ru-horizonmsk-1-MNT
mnt-routes: lir-ru-horizonmsk-1-MNT
created: 2021-10-08T15:11:34Z
last-modified: 2021-10-08T15:11:34Z
source: RIPE

organisation: ORG-HL276-RIPE
org-name: HORIZON LLC
country: RU
org-type: LIR
address: per Malyj Lyovshinskij 10, floor IV, office 2/88-7
address: 119034
address: Moscow
address: RUSSIAN FEDERATION
phone: +7 495 008 87 36
admin-c: EA7219-RIPE
tech-c: EA7219-RIPE
abuse-c: AR65536-RIPE
mnt-ref: lir-ru-horizonmsk-1-MNT
mnt-by: RIPE-NCC-HM-MNT
mnt-by: lir-ru-horizonmsk-1-MNT
created: 2021-10-07T14:14:29Z
last-modified: 2021-10-07T14:14:29Z
source: RIPE # Filtered

role: Evgeniy Atnalin
address: RUSSIAN FEDERATION
address: Moscow
address: 119034
address: per Malyj Lyovshinskij 10, floor IV, office 2/88-7
phone: +7 495 008 87 36
nic-hdl: EA7219-RIPE
mnt-by: lir-ru-horizonmsk-1-MNT
created: 2021-10-07T14:14:28Z
last-modified: 2021-10-07T14:14:29Z
source: RIPE # Filtered

> No doubt Sheddi will be too wise to goove 'Nothing to do with me mate,
> thanx for the warning' and visit the wibble accordingly if they get such
> a message, but be warned. Someone's hfvat sci kolodgy.

--
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada

Re: Turnip?

<t3oa0s$7gd$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9521&group=uk.rec.sheds#9521

From: rusty.hi...@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 07:42:36 +0100
 by: RustyHinge - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 06:42 UTC

On 20/04/2022 01:55, Mike Spencer wrote:

> I don't know what a Monzo card is. Would you expect to contact
> someone in Russia to deal with one?

Nor do I know what a Monzo card is, and I want no dealings with Яussia.

Hmmmmm. Mostly clear as mud.

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: Turnip?

<usjv5h10ae8mnt3vgs3roibvas7o62tcv5@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9529&group=uk.rec.sheds#9529

From: nic...@themusicworkshop.plus.com (Nick Odell)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 11:49:52 +0100
 by: Nick Odell - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 10:49 UTC

On 19 Apr 2022 21:55:04 -0300, Mike Spencer
<mds@bogus.nodomain.nowhere> wrote:wibble.
<snip>
>I don't know what a Monzo card is. Would you expect to contact
>someone in Russia to deal with one?
<snip>

The real Monzo is a UK "Challenger Bank."

Back after 2008 and the collapse of many UK banks and the bailing out
with taxpayer money of others, the government thought that rather than
regulating banking more closely and making sure they all did what they
were supposed to do and did it properly, they would lay the ground for
lots of little banks to be formed which would provide competition so
that the market would regulate itself. Scroll on to 2022 and big banks
are still laundering squillions of pounds of dirty money and locking
it up in obscure offshore locations, most of the Challenger banks are
no longer in business and the others - like Monzo - aren't really much
of a challenge.

It's a bit like the energy industry really. Back in 2010, in response
to instability in the energy field the government thought that, rather
than regulating energy more closely and making sure that the suppliers
did what they were supposed to do and did it properly, they would lay
the ground for lots of little energy companies to be formed which
would provide competition so that the market would regulate itself.
Scroll on to 2022 and the big energy companies are still owned, in
the main, by foreign companies and sovereign wealth funds, still make
in the UK profits which they would not be allowed to make in their
home countries, are still decommissioning generating and storage
capacity because the resilience thus created would be too expensive
for their shareholders and more than 25 of the smaller "challenger"
energy companies went bust in the last three months of 2021 alone,
leaving all their costs to be borne by the survivors who pass those
costs on to their customers.

Do you spot a pattern emerging?

Okay there are other ways of interpreting these stories but I don't
find telling them half as cathartic.

Nick

Re: Turnip?

<87levztr9c.fsf@bogus.nodomain.nowhere>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9561&group=uk.rec.sheds#9561

From: mds...@bogus.nodomain.nowhere (Mike Spencer)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: 20 Apr 2022 17:49:03 -0300
 by: Mike Spencer - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 20:49 UTC

Nick Odell <nick@themusicworkshop.plus.com> writes:

> On 19 Apr 2022 21:55:04 -0300, Mike Spencer
> <mds@bogus.nodomain.nowhere> wrote:wibble.
> <snip>
> >I don't know what a Monzo card is. Would you expect to contact
> >someone in Russia to deal with one?
> <snip>
>
> The real Monzo is a UK "Challenger Bank."
>
> Back after 2008 and the collapse of many UK banks and the bailing out
> with taxpayer money of others, the government thought that rather than
> regulating banking more closely and making sure they all did what they
> were supposed to do and did it properly, they would lay the ground for
> lots of little banks to be formed which would provide competition so
> that the market would regulate itself. Scroll on to 2022 and big banks
> are still laundering squillions of pounds of dirty money and locking
> it up in obscure offshore locations, most of the Challenger banks are
> no longer in business and the others - like Monzo - aren't really much
> of a challenge.
>
> [snip]

Thanks for that. Day-to-day stuff in the UK that I don't hear about
here in my HM Leftpondia badger hole.

--
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada