Memory should be the starting point of the present.

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: Plymouth rated the third most dangerous city for cyclists

SubjectAuthor
* Plymouth rated the third most dangerous city for cyclistsswldx...@gmail.com
+- Re: Plymouth rated the third most dangerous city for fairy-cyclistsJNugent
+* Re: Plymouth rated the third most dangerous city for cyclistsswldx...@gmail.com
|`- Re: Plymouth rated the third most dangerous city for cyclistsSpike
+- Re: Plymouth rated the third most dangerous city for cyclistsSpike
+- Re: Plymouth rated the third most dangerous city for cyclistsswldx...@gmail.com
`- Re: Plymouth rated the third most dangerous city for cyclistsswldx...@gmail.com

1
Plymouth rated the third most dangerous city for cyclists

<ed034f20-0e94-4d42-877e-2360eadd0835n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9498&group=uk.rec.cycling#9498

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 9 May 2022 04:04:17 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Plymouth rated the third most dangerous city for cyclists
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Mon, 9 May 2022 11:04 UTC

Cycling has grown in popularity since the Covid lockdowns and it is showing no sign of slowing down. People wanting to ride a bike has surged by almost 200 per cent, but experts from Claims.co.uk wanted to find out where the most dangerous places are in the UK for cyclists.

Plymouth has been ranked as the third most dangerous city for cycling. The experts analysed the number of bike accidents, average steepness, surface quality and lighting across cycling routes.

This ultimately assigned a danger score for each city which is then ordered.. The first most dangerous place to cycle according to the experts is Birmingham.

However with a score of 7.17/10 for overall danger score, Plymouth's cycling routes have been reported to have a rather rough road surface, a steep gradient and while there is good lighting on cycle paths, the average bike accident score comes in at 6.2/10- higher than Bristol. In Plymouth there were 18 serious accidents which took place.

Across Plymouth there are 220 cycle routes according to the experts. Here's a list of all the areas for cyclists which were assessed and why our city has been ranked third most dangerous across the UK.
Count of routes: 220
Average steepness of route: 0.86
Steepness score out of 10: 9.75
Sum of fatal accidents: 2
Fatal accidents score out of 10: 7.00
Sum of serious accidents: 18
Serious accidents score out of 10: 7.00
Sum of slight accidents: 81
Slight accidents score out of 10: 6.75
Average bike accident score: 6.92
% of routes with acceptable or better surface quality: 90:45%
Surface quality score: 9.50
% of routes with lighting on path: 70.91
Dim lighting score: 4.75

The experts revealed Chelmsford is the safest UK city for cycling, earning an overall danger score of only 1.79/10. The number of bike crashes (16) is the second-lowest of all places analysed, being slightly behind Gloucester in fifth (12). Boasting an almost perfect road condition for cyclists, over 73% of paths are well-lit in the city.

To read more about Plymouth's cycle routes, visit the Plymouth City Council website.

https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/whats-on/plymouth-rated-third-most-dangerous-7045263

Re: Plymouth rated the third most dangerous city for fairy-cyclists

<jdsqb4Fclk5U2@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9505&group=uk.rec.cycling#9505

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Plymouth rated the third most dangerous city for fairy-cyclists
Date: Mon, 9 May 2022 16:29:40 +0100
 by: JNugent - Mon, 9 May 2022 15:29 UTC

> Fairy-cycling has grown in popularity since the Covid lockdowns and it is showing no sign of slowing down. People wanting to ride a fairy-bike has surged by almost 200 per cent, but experts from Claims.co.uk wanted to find out where the most dangerous places are in the UK for fairy-cyclists.
>
> Plymouth has been ranked as the third most dangerous city for fairy-cycling. The experts analysed the number of fairy-bike accidents, average steepness, surface quality and lighting across fairy-cycling routes.
>
> This ultimately assigned a danger score for each city which is then ordered. The first most dangerous place to fairy-cycle according to the experts is Birmingham.
>
> However with a score of 7.17/10 for overall danger score, Plymouth's fairy-cycling routes have been reported to have a rather rough road surface, a steep gradient and while there is good lighting on fairy-cycle paths, the average fairy-bike accident score comes in at 6.2/10- higher than Bristol. In Plymouth there were 18 serious accidents which took place.
>
> Across Plymouth there are 220 fairy-cycle routes according to the experts. Here's a list of all the areas for fairy-cyclists which were assessed and why our city has been ranked third most dangerous across the UK.
> Count of routes: 220
> Average steepness of route: 0.86
> Steepness score out of 10: 9.75
> Sum of fatal accidents: 2
> Fatal accidents score out of 10: 7.00
> Sum of serious accidents: 18
> Serious accidents score out of 10: 7.00
> Sum of slight accidents: 81
> Slight accidents score out of 10: 6.75
> Average fairy-bike accident score: 6.92
> % of routes with acceptable or better surface quality: 90:45%
> Surface quality score: 9.50
> % of routes with lighting on path: 70.91
> Dim lighting score: 4.75
>
> The experts revealed Chelmsford is the safest UK city for fairy-cycling, earning an overall danger score of only 1.79/10. The number of fairy-bike crashes (16) is the second-lowest of all places analysed, being slightly behind Gloucester in fifth (12). Boasting an almost perfect road condition for fairy-cyclists, over 73% of paths are well-lit in the city.

Chelmsford is a fairly well-to-do place. People there can afford cars.

> To read more about Plymouth's fairy-cycle routes, visit the Plymouth City Council website.
>
> https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/whats-on/plymouth-rated-third-most-dangerous-7045263

Re: Plymouth rated the third most dangerous city for cyclists

<f378c3ec-ddff-4d01-b65f-3fb8c6f016d9n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9506&group=uk.rec.cycling#9506

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 9 May 2022 08:31:36 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Mon, 9 May 2022 15:31 UTC

QUOTE: Cycling has grown in popularity since the Covid lockdowns and it is showing no sign of slowing down. People wanting to ride a bike has surged by almost 200 per cent, but experts from Claims.co.uk wanted to find out where the most dangerous places are in the UK for cyclists. ENDS.

It's only "dangerous" due to the idiot drivers out there.
More 20mph zones please.

Re: Plymouth rated the third most dangerous city for cyclists

<jdsso4Fd4kmU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9521&group=uk.rec.cycling#9521

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 9 May 2022 16:10:44 +0000
 by: Spike - Mon, 9 May 2022 16:10 UTC

On 09/05/2022 11:04, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

> Cycling has grown in popularity since the Covid lockdowns and it is showing no sign of slowing down. People wanting to ride a bike has surged by almost 200 per cent, but experts from Claims.co.uk wanted to find out where the most dangerous places are in the UK for cyclists.

> Plymouth has been ranked as the third most dangerous city for cycling. The experts analysed the number of bike accidents, average steepness, surface quality and lighting across cycling routes.

Wonder what the 'violence by cyclist' score is in Hull?

> To read more about Plymouth's cycle routes, visit the Plymouth City Council website.

> https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/whats-on/plymouth-rated-third-most-dangerous-7045263

Plymouth is a dump.

--
Spike

Re: Plymouth rated the third most dangerous city for cyclists

<a6d6ed21-e623-418d-af2c-3f18428ca256n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9525&group=uk.rec.cycling#9525

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 9 May 2022 09:17:29 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Mon, 9 May 2022 16:17 UTC

Cycling has grown in popularity since the Covid lockdowns and it is showing no sign of slowing down.

GOOD NEWS ALL ROUND.

Re: Plymouth rated the third most dangerous city for cyclists

<jdst4pFd4kmU4@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9526&group=uk.rec.cycling#9526

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 9 May 2022 16:17:29 +0000
 by: Spike - Mon, 9 May 2022 16:17 UTC

On 09/05/2022 15:31, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

> QUOTE: Cycling has grown in popularity since the Covid lockdowns and it is showing no sign of slowing down. People wanting to ride a bike has surged by almost 200 per cent, but experts from Claims.co.uk wanted to find out where the most dangerous places are in the UK for cyclists. ENDS.

> It's only "dangerous" due to the idiot drivers out there.
> More 20mph zones please.

With cyclists regularly crashing into stationary objects, how will a
20mph limit affect anything?

<https://www.republicworld.com/entertainment-news/whats-viral/dont-text-and-bike-cyclist-busy-on-phone-crashes-into-parked-van-watch.html>

A 0mph limit for cyclists might help.

--
Spike

Re: Plymouth rated the third most dangerous city for cyclists

<38c0b1c2-839e-47fb-ae7a-772158337167n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9529&group=uk.rec.cycling#9529

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 9 May 2022 09:20:25 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Mon, 9 May 2022 16:20 UTC

> The experts revealed Chelmsford is the safest UK city for cycling, earning an overall danger score of only 1.79/10. The number of bike crashes (16) is the second-lowest of all places analysed, being slightly behind Gloucester in fifth (12). Boasting an almost perfect road condition for cyclists, over 73% of paths are well-lit in the city.

HULL HAS MORE CYCLE LANES AND PATHS.
PLUS RECORD 20MPH ZONES.