You can't hug a child with nuclear arms.

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: Driver angered by fairy-cyclists "taking up the road" fined £1,000 after shouting abuse and careless driving

SubjectAuthor
* Driver angered by cyclists "taking up the road" fineswldx...@gmail.com
+* Re: Driver angered by cyclists "taking up the road" fSpike
+- Re: Driver angered by cyclists "taking up the road"swldx...@gmail.com
+* Re: Driver angered by cyclists "taking up the road"swldx...@gmail.com
|`- Re: Driver angered by cyclists "taking up the road" fSpike
+* Re: Driver angered by cyclists "taking up the road"swldx...@gmail.com
|`* Re: Driver angered by cyclists "taking up the road" fSpike
| `- Re: Driver angered by cyclists "taking up the road"JNugent
+* Re: Driver angered by cyclists "taking up the road"swldx...@gmail.com
|`- Re: Driver angered by cyclists "taking up the road" fSpike
+- Re: Driver angered by cyclists "taking up the road"swldx...@gmail.com
+- Re: Driver angered by cyclists "taking up the road"swldx...@gmail.com
+* Re: Driver angered by cyclists "taking up the road"swldx...@gmail.com
|`- Re: Driver angered by cyclists "taking up the road" fSpike
+- Re: Driver angered by cyclists "taking up the road"swldx...@gmail.com
+- Re: Driver angered by cyclists "taking up the road"swldx...@gmail.com
`- Re: Driver angered by cyclists "taking up the road"swldx...@gmail.com

Pages:12
Driver angered by cyclists "taking up the road" fined £1,000 after shouting abuse and careless driving

<a4c4c4d6-7141-4416-97e5-c6f4f4efbdccn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9463&group=uk.rec.cycling#9463

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 8 May 2022 05:47:22 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Driver_angered_by_cyclists_"taking_up_the_road"_fine
d_£1,000_after_shouting_abuse_and_careless_driving
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sun, 8 May 2022 12:47 UTC

Yet another potty mouthed scum driver gets dealt with by the courts.

A driver, incensed by a group of cyclists he perceived to be "taking up the whole road", repeatedly sounded his horn, drove carelessly and abused the riders during an incident described in court as "at the upper end of careless driving".

Iain Macdonald was this week fined £1,040 and given five penalty points for his actions, which unfolded on the B9154 near Moy, around 20 miles south of Inverness, on May 1 last year.

Inverness Sheriff Court heard how the 63-year-old became angered by the group of six cyclists, who solicitor John MacColl, on behalf of his client, argued were "taking up the whole width of the road when there was no need to"..

Macdonald drove close behind the group, repeatedly sounding his horn, before driving past and stopping ahead of them, a manoeuvre which forced the cyclists to take evasive action, The Inverness Courier (link is external) reports.

"His position is that the cyclists were taking up the whole width of the road when there was no need to. He decided he wanted to speak with them, stopped and there was a robust exchange. Then he saw red and used industrial language," solicitor MacColl told the court.

"He has a number of jobs currently from Kiltarlity to Dunbar and he is concerned about the loss of his licence. He drives 30,000 miles a year and employs two people."

Ultimately, having admitted driving carelessly and threatening or abusive behaviour by shouting and swearing, Sherrif Ian Cruickshank said the offence was "at the upper end of careless driving", but decided against giving the motorist enough penalty points to see him banned from driving.

Instead, Macdonald received five penalty points and a £1,040 fine.

https://road.cc/content/news/driver-angered-cyclists-taking-road-fined-ps1000-292615

Re: Driver angered by cyclists "taking up the road" fined £1,000 after shouting abuse and careless driving

<jdpvd7FqgefU2@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9465&group=uk.rec.cycling#9465

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re:_Driver_angered_by_cyclists_"taking_up_the_road"_f
ined_£1,000_after_shouting_abuse_and_careless_driving
Date: Sun, 8 May 2022 13:37:43 +0000
 by: Spike - Sun, 8 May 2022 13:37 UTC

On 08/05/2022 12:47, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

> A driver, incensed by a group of cyclists he perceived to be "taking up the whole road", repeatedly sounded his horn, drove carelessly and abused the riders during an incident described in court as "at the upper end of careless driving".

> Iain Macdonald was this week fined £1,040 and given five penalty points for his actions, which unfolded on the B9154 near Moy, around 20 miles south of Inverness, on May 1 last year.
>
> Inverness Sheriff Court heard how the 63-year-old became angered by the group of six cyclists, who solicitor John MacColl, on behalf of his client, argued were "taking up the whole width of the road when there was no need to".

> Ultimately, having admitted driving carelessly and threatening or abusive behaviour by shouting and swearing, Sherrif Ian Cruickshank said the offence was "at the upper end of careless driving", but decided against giving the motorist enough penalty points to see him banned from driving.

> Instead, Macdonald received five penalty points and a £1,040 fine.

> https://road.cc/content/news/driver-angered-cyclists-taking-road-fined-ps1000-292615

Note that this Act applies to cyclists as well:

[Begins]

The Highways Act 1980:

[Section] 137 Penalty for wilful obstruction

(1) If a person, without lawful authority or excuse, in any way
wilfully obstructs the free passage along a highway he is guilty of an
offence and liable to a fine not exceeding £50.

(2) A constable may arrest without warrant *any* *person* whom he sees
committing an offence against this section.

[Ends]

--
Spike

Re: Driver angered by cyclists "taking up the road" fined £1,000 after shouting abuse and careless driving

<04718424-8727-459d-84a0-fdbddcf97b7dn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9468&group=uk.rec.cycling#9468

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 8 May 2022 08:46:19 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re:_Driver_angered_by_cyclists_"taking_up_the_road"_
fined_£1,000_after_shouting_abuse_and_careless_driving
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sun, 8 May 2022 15:46 UTC

ymm | 7 posts | 4 hours ago
6 likes

🤣🤣 £1000 + fine. Excellent score. Driver will always be cursing cyclists because he is a proven fool. He surely will seek revenge. Watch out for him. His details, reg and photo should be shared with public, 'wanted poster ' style so we can all do our best to keep away from him.

reply quote

Benthic replied to ymm | 36 posts | 2 hours ago
1 like

MACDONALD PLANT LIMITED

Company number SC240498

MACDONALD, Iain

Correspondence address
The Old Inn House, Moy, Inverness, Inverness Shire, IV13 7YP

Role Active
Director

Date of birth
November 1958

Appointed on

Nationality
British

Country of residence
Scotland

Occupation
Contractor

Re: Driver angered by cyclists "taking up the road" fined £1,000 after shouting abuse and careless driving

<9c2609de-7930-4963-854b-8d75a569a1cdn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9471&group=uk.rec.cycling#9471

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 8 May 2022 12:52:24 -0700 (PDT)
fined_£1,000_after_shouting_abuse_and_careless_driving
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sun, 8 May 2022 19:52 UTC

AlsoSomniloquism | 3162 posts | 8 hours ago
12 likes
Decided against giving him enough points to ban him. Gives him five. Anyone think he was already on 6 points?

I would also argue that looking at the road on streetview, it is wide enough to overtake the cyclists if there is no traffic oncoming. Methinks the driver couldn't overtake safely due to this traffic. Still one of those in such a rush that they then have to brake hard in front of the cyclists to "speak with them".

Re: Driver angered by cyclists "taking up the road" fined £1,000 after shouting abuse and careless driving

<1fd986e7-aff5-4511-a30a-51f04fcd254fn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9473&group=uk.rec.cycling#9473

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 8 May 2022 13:13:47 -0700 (PDT)
fined_£1,000_after_shouting_abuse_and_careless_driving
From: cmike8...@gmail.com (Mike Collins)
 by: Mike Collins - Sun, 8 May 2022 20:13 UTC

On Sunday, 8 May 2022 at 14:37:46 UTC+1, Spike wrote:
> On 08/05/2022 12:47, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > A driver, incensed by a group of cyclists he perceived to be "taking up the whole road", repeatedly sounded his horn, drove carelessly and abused the riders during an incident described in court as "at the upper end of careless driving".
>
> > Iain Macdonald was this week fined £1,040 and given five penalty points for his actions, which unfolded on the B9154 near Moy, around 20 miles south of Inverness, on May 1 last year.
> >
> > Inverness Sheriff Court heard how the 63-year-old became angered by the group of six cyclists, who solicitor John MacColl, on behalf of his client, argued were "taking up the whole width of the road when there was no need to".
> > Ultimately, having admitted driving carelessly and threatening or abusive behaviour by shouting and swearing, Sherrif Ian Cruickshank said the offence was "at the upper end of careless driving", but decided against giving the motorist enough penalty points to see him banned from driving.
>
> > Instead, Macdonald received five penalty points and a £1,040 fine.
>
> > https://road.cc/content/news/driver-angered-cyclists-taking-road-fined-ps1000-292615
> Note that this Act applies to cyclists as well:
>
> [Begins]
>
> The Highways Act 1980:
>
> [Section] 137 Penalty for wilful obstruction
>
> (1) If a person, without lawful authority or excuse, in any way
> wilfully obstructs the free passage along a highway he is guilty of an
> offence and liable to a fine not exceeding £50.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLzGj10fg2g

100's of guilty motorists.

Re: Driver angered by fairy-cyclists "taking up the road" fined £1,000 after shouting abuse and careless driving

<jdr515F2tj3U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9474&group=uk.rec.cycling#9474

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re:_Driver_angered_by_fairy-cyclists_"taking_up_the_r
Date: Mon, 9 May 2022 01:19:48 +0100
 by: JNugent - Mon, 9 May 2022 00:19 UTC

On 08/05/2022 09:13 pm, Mike Collins wrote:

> On Sunday, 8 May 2022 at 14:37:46 UTC+1, Spike wrote:
>> On 08/05/2022 12:47, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
>
>>> A driver, incensed by a group of fairy-cyclists he perceived to be "taking up the whole road", repeatedly sounded his horn, drove carelessly and abused the fairy-riders during an incident described in court as "at the upper end of careless driving".
>
>>> Iain Macdonald was this week fined £1,040 and given five penalty points for his actions, which unfolded on the B9154 near Moy, around 20 miles south of Inverness, on May 1 last year.

>>> Inverness Sheriff Court heard how the 63-year-old became angered by the group of six cyclists, who fairy-solicitor John MacColl, on behalf of his client, argued were "taking up the whole width of the road when there was no need to".
>>> Ultimately, having admitted driving carelessly and threatening or abusive behaviour by shouting and swearing, Sherrif Ian Cruickshank said the offence was "at the upper end of careless driving", but decided against giving the motorist enough penalty points to see him banned from driving.
>
>>> Instead, Macdonald received five penalty points and a £1,040 fine.
>
>>> https://road.cc/content/news/driver-angered-cyclists-taking-road-fined-ps1000-292615
>> Note that this Act applies to cyclists as well:
>
>> [Begins]
>
>> The Highways Act 1980:
>> [Section] 137 Penalty for wilful obstruction
>> (1) If a person, without lawful authority or excuse, in any way
>> wilfully obstructs the free passage along a highway he is guilty of an
>> offence and liable to a fine not exceeding £50.

[Someone snipped the bit about the power of a constable to arrest anyone
breaching that Act.]

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLzGj10fg2g
> 100's of guilty motorists.

It is true that there are a lot more motor vehicles than there are
fairy-cyclists.

And the roads should be for the many, not the few.

Re: Driver angered by fairy-cyclists "taking up the road" fined £1,000 after shouting abuse and careless driving

<50e6ac5b-c26f-4939-bb22-dea8229fe88fn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9475&group=uk.rec.cycling#9475

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 8 May 2022 18:15:56 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re:_Driver_angered_by_fairy-cyclists_"taking_up_the_
road"_fined_£1,000_after_shouting_abuse_and_careless_drivin
From: cmike8...@gmail.com (Mike Collins)
 by: Mike Collins - Mon, 9 May 2022 01:15 UTC

On Monday, 9 May 2022 at 01:19:52 UTC+1, JNugent wrote:
> fairy-cyclists.

And immediately lost the argument.

Re: Driver angered by cyclists "taking up the road" fined £1,000 after shouting abuse and careless driving

<jds0auF7m69U3@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9478&group=uk.rec.cycling#9478

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
ined_£1,000_after_shouting_abuse_and_careless_driving
Date: Mon, 9 May 2022 08:05:50 +0000
 by: Spike - Mon, 9 May 2022 08:05 UTC

On 08/05/2022 19:52, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> AlsoSomniloquism | 3162 posts | 8 hours ago
> 12 likes

> Decided against giving him enough points to ban him. Gives him five. Anyone think he was already on 6 points?

> I would also argue that looking at the road on streetview, it is wide enough to overtake the cyclists if there is no traffic oncoming. Methinks the driver couldn't overtake safely due to this traffic. Still one of those in such a rush that they then have to brake hard in front of the cyclists to "speak with them".

Just to confirm - you weren't there and didn't see what happened.

--
Spike

Re: Driver angered by fairy-cyclists "taking up the road" fined £1,000 after shouting abuse and careless driving

<jds0bdF7m69U5@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9480&group=uk.rec.cycling#9480

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re:_Driver_angered_by_fairy-cyclists_"taking_up_the_roa
d"_fined_£1,000_after_shouting_abuse_and_careless_drivin
Date: Mon, 9 May 2022 08:06:05 +0000
 by: Spike - Mon, 9 May 2022 08:06 UTC

On 09/05/2022 01:15, Mike Collins wrote:
> On Monday, 9 May 2022 at 01:19:52 UTC+1, JNugent wrote:

>> fairy-cyclists.

> And immediately lost the argument.

When you put one forward, I'm sure we'll have a good laugh at it.

--
Spike

Re: Driver angered by fairy-cyclists "taking up the road" fined £1,000 after shouting abuse and careless driving

<t5alvm$65p$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9482&group=uk.rec.cycling#9482

From: muzhm...@centrum.sk (Peter Keller)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 9 May 2022 21:13:26 +1200
 by: Peter Keller - Mon, 9 May 2022 09:13 UTC

On 9/05/22 12:19, JNugent wrote:
> On 08/05/2022 09:13 pm, Mike Collins wrote:

>>> Note that this Act applies to cyclists as well:
>>
>>> [Begins]
>>
>>> The Highways Act 1980:
>>> [Section] 137 Penalty for wilful obstruction
>>> (1) If a person, without lawful authority or excuse, in any way
>>> wilfully obstructs the free passage along a highway he is guilty of an
>>> offence and liable to a fine not exceeding £50.
>
> [Someone snipped the bit about the power of a constable to arrest anyone
> breaching that Act.]
>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLzGj10fg2g
>> 100's of guilty motorists.
>
> It is true that there are a lot more motor vehicles than there are
> fairy-cyclists.
>
> And the roads should be for the many, not the few.

The roads should be for the many AND for the few.
It is illegal to ride a bicycle on the footpath.

Re: Driver angered by fairy-cyclists "taking up the road" fined £1,000 after shouting abuse and careless driving

<96120654-f2bc-482d-8385-8d0d4f3f622bn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9483&group=uk.rec.cycling#9483

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 9 May 2022 02:20:01 -0700 (PDT)
road"_fined_£1,000_after_shouting_abuse_and_careless_drivin
From: cmike8...@gmail.com (Mike Collins)
 by: Mike Collins - Mon, 9 May 2022 09:20 UTC

On Monday, 9 May 2022 at 01:19:52 UTC+1, JNugent wrote:
> On 08/05/2022 09:13 pm, Mike Collins wrote:

> >> Note that this Act applies to cyclists as well:
> >
> >> [Begins]
> >
> >> The Highways Act 1980:
> >> [Section] 137 Penalty for wilful obstruction
> >> (1) If a person, without lawful authority or excuse, in any way
> >> wilfully obstructs the free passage along a highway he is guilty of an
> >> offence and liable to a fine not exceeding £50.
> [Someone snipped the bit about the power of a constable to arrest anyone
> breaching that Act.]
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLzGj10fg2g
> > 100's of guilty motorists.
> It is true that there are a lot more motor vehicles than there are
> fairy-cyclists.
>
> And the roads should be for the many, not the few.

So what you are saying is the roads are for pedestrians and cyclists because they outnumber motorists.

Re: Driver angered by cyclists "taking up the road" fined £1,000 after shouting abuse and careless driving

<be68e45c-afe4-4278-9b7e-0ec5fdb298b5n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9492&group=uk.rec.cycling#9492

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 9 May 2022 03:19:19 -0700 (PDT)
fined_£1,000_after_shouting_abuse_and_careless_driving
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Mon, 9 May 2022 10:19 UTC

KeithBird | 20 posts | 46 min ago
1 like

It's a short road, with plenty of visibility and overtaking opportunities. This was all about poor anger management, and probably preconceived hatred.

reply quote

Cycloid | 233 posts | 1 hour ago
0 likes

It looks like this guy is in a bad place.
He has gone down the radicalisation road followed by terrorists and come to the conclusion that cyclists are fundamentally bad and must be punished for the good of society as a whole, even if it comes at a cost to himself. Check out "Altruistic Punishment" in any popular psychology book.
The fact that he stopped after he had overtaken the cyclists showed that he was not in a hurry to get to work, he just wanted to punish them
It will impossible to have a rational conversation with him, so the lenient sentance handed out by the court is not seen as the start of a rehabillitaion process, but as a sign of weakness and confirmation of his biased views..
He now knows what he can get away with, maybe next time he will be a bit more covert, but expect to hear about him again.
There again he may be a real nice guy who lost it for a few seconds, and has just made a big donation to the Cyclists Defence Fund in reparation

Re: Driver angered by cyclists "taking up the road" fined £1,000 after shouting abuse and careless driving

<jds8coF9a78U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9493&group=uk.rec.cycling#9493

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
ined_£1,000_after_shouting_abuse_and_careless_driving
Date: Mon, 9 May 2022 10:23:19 +0000
 by: Spike - Mon, 9 May 2022 10:23 UTC

On 09/05/2022 10:19, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

> KeithBird | 20 posts | 46 min ago
> 1 like

> It's a short road, with plenty of visibility and overtaking opportunities. This was all about poor anger management, and probably preconceived hatred.

The sort of 'preconceived hatred' that you find here?

"A man suffered facial injuries after he was robbed by a cyclist as he
walked home through west Hull.

Humberside Police have issued a CCTV image of a man they want to speak
to after the attack off Country Road North. The assault happened on
Saturday, March 12 at around 11.15pm.

The victim suffered facial injuries and was left shaken following the
attack. Officers have now launched an appeal to find a man caught on
CCTV who could help with their inquiries."

<https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/news/hull-east-yorkshire-news/cyclist-assaults-man-demands-money-6895570>

--
Spike

Re: Driver angered by cyclists "taking up the road" fined £1,000 after shouting abuse and careless driving

<6639e616-b0b6-4546-8936-7ae42c155e3an@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9495&group=uk.rec.cycling#9495

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 9 May 2022 03:28:19 -0700 (PDT)
fined_£1,000_after_shouting_abuse_and_careless_driving
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Mon, 9 May 2022 10:28 UTC

On Sunday, May 8, 2022 at 1:47:23 PM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> Yet another potty mouthed scum driver gets dealt with by the courts.
Cycloid replied to Cycloid | 233 posts | 23 min ago
0 likes

PS The lenient sentance has got many people angry.

A quick Google search came up with a record of 68 points and still driving.

BLOODY HELL FIRE.

Re: Driver angered by fairy-cyclists "taking up the road" fined £1,000 after shouting abuse and careless driving

<jdsqipFco0jU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9507&group=uk.rec.cycling#9507

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 9 May 2022 16:33:44 +0100
 by: JNugent - Mon, 9 May 2022 15:33 UTC

On 09/05/2022 10:13 am, Peter Keller wrote:
> On 9/05/22 12:19, JNugent wrote:

>> [Someone snipped the bit about the power of a constable to arrest anyone
>> breaching that Act.]
>>
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLzGj10fg2g
>>> 100's of guilty motorists.
>>
>> It is true that there are a lot more motor vehicles than there are
>> fairy-cyclists.
>>
>> And the roads should be for the many, not the few.
>
> The roads should be for the many AND for the few.

That's true enough, but definitely not for only the few as so many
fairy-cyclist nutters seem to want.

It would be fairer to ban fairy-cycling altogether than it it ever can
be to prioritise it as they seek, at the expense of the vast majority.

Only a small proportion of the population will ever take up
fairy-cycling. It isn't 1870 any more!

> It is illegal to ride a bicycle on the footpath.

Don't tell I, tell 'e.

Re: Driver angered by cyclists "taking up the road" fined £1,000 after shouting abuse and careless driving

<392a50f1-891e-462e-a722-b4fddbf5526an@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9508&group=uk.rec.cycling#9508

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 9 May 2022 08:35:20 -0700 (PDT)
fined_£1,000_after_shouting_abuse_and_careless_driving
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Mon, 9 May 2022 15:35 UTC

On Sunday, May 8, 2022 at 1:47:23 PM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> Yet another potty mouthed scum driver gets dealt with by the courts.
bikeman01 wrote:

First I'll state up front that the guy behaved like a bit of a tit and got punished, I've no issue wit that.

BUT the mob mentality here is quite unbelievable. The magistrate heard that he was a busines owner, employing two people and presumably needs his car to visit clients to do quotes etc. He employs two others and presumably, they would be laid off if the company is impacted.

Now of course I'm not condoming his behavour and he of course has a responsibiity to consider the consequences of his actions but he didn't try to kill anyone, he lost his temper and swore a bit.

What sort of world do we now live in where there are calls for someone's lynching when they lose their temper.

And publishing his personal details, whether in the public domain or not, is just incitement. I've a good mind to report this is a non-crime hate incident - look it up.

Get a sense of proportionment people.

I have a couple of issues with what you've written.

Firstly, the fact that he employs two people should be irrelevant to the carrying out of justice as otherwise big companies can just freely break the law and pop out the "but what about mah employees?" excuse.

Secondly, I don't believe anyone is calling for a lynching, but we want people with anger issues to not be on the road in charge of 2 tonnes of speeding metal. There's plenty of deaths out on the roads, so why should we take the risk that this out-of-control self-entitled idiot won't get even angrier next time and take someone's life?

Take away his licence - it is for public safety, and if two or three people have to find alternative employment, then so be it.

Re: Driver angered by fairy-cyclists "taking up the road" fined £1,000 after shouting abuse and careless driving

<jdsqnjFco0jU2@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9509&group=uk.rec.cycling#9509

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 9 May 2022 16:36:19 +0100
 by: JNugent - Mon, 9 May 2022 15:36 UTC

On 09/05/2022 10:20 am, Mike Collins wrote:
> On Monday, 9 May 2022 at 01:19:52 UTC+1, JNugent wrote:

>> [Someone snipped the bit about the power of a constable to arrest anyone
>> breaching that Act.]
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLzGj10fg2g
>>> 100's of guilty motorists.
>> It is true that there are a lot more motor vehicles than there are
>> fairy-cyclists.
>>
>> And the roads should be for the many, not the few.
>
> So what you are saying is the roads are for pedestrians and cyclists because they outnumber motorists.

Try again.

We are all pedestrians, hence the immediate need for a campaign against
footway fairy-cycling (immediate seizure and destruction of the
fairy-cycle and a swingeing fine for the scofflaw fairy-cyclist).

Fairy-cyclists are a tiny and unrepresentative portion of the
population. Pedestrians (ie, all of us) deserve to be protected from them.

Re: Driver angered by cyclists "taking up the road" fined £1,000 after shouting abuse and careless driving

<jdsqonFco0jU3@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9510&group=uk.rec.cycling#9510

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
_fined_£1,000_after_shouting_abuse_and_careless_driving
Date: Mon, 9 May 2022 16:36:55 +0100

On 09/05/2022 11:23 am, Spike wrote:
> On 09/05/2022 10:19, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
>
>> KeithBird | 20 posts | 46 min ago
>> 1 like
>
>> It's a short road, with plenty of visibility and overtaking opportunities. This was all about poor anger management, and probably preconceived hatred.
>
> The sort of 'preconceived hatred' that you find here?
>
> "A man suffered facial injuries after he was robbed by a cyclist as he
> walked home through west Hull.
>
> Humberside Police have issued a CCTV image of a man they want to speak
> to after the attack off Country Road North. The assault happened on
> Saturday, March 12 at around 11.15pm.
>
> The victim suffered facial injuries and was left shaken following the
> attack. Officers have now launched an appeal to find a man caught on
> CCTV who could help with their inquiries."
>
> <https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/news/hull-east-yorkshire-news/cyclist-assaults-man-demands-money-6895570>

West Hull again.

Did anything good ever come from the place?

Re: Driver angered by cyclists "taking up the road" fined £1,000 after shouting abuse and careless driving

<1a70ab21-86b2-484d-bce8-8aad596be6fdn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9511&group=uk.rec.cycling#9511

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 9 May 2022 08:37:09 -0700 (PDT)
fined_£1,000_after_shouting_abuse_and_careless_driving
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Mon, 9 May 2022 15:37 UTC

He didn't just swear a bit - he endangered them by close passing and brake checking them (road.cc also says he drove close behind them, but I don't see that in the source report, so maybe they mangled that bit).

[Edit] I'm doing road.cc a disservice - it appears an earlier version of the story did say that he 'drew up too close behind them'. So endangered their safety at least three times - he may not have tried to kill anyone, but he wasn't trying very hard not to.

Re: Driver angered by fairy-cyclists "taking up the road" fined £1,000 after shouting abuse and careless driving

<b4b9e8ce-8265-40f5-b73e-663d0b6af055n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9512&group=uk.rec.cycling#9512

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 9 May 2022 08:39:39 -0700 (PDT)
road"_fined_£1,000_after_shouting_abuse_and_careless_drivin
From: cmike8...@gmail.com (Mike Collins)
 by: Mike Collins - Mon, 9 May 2022 15:39 UTC

On Monday, 9 May 2022 at 16:36:21 UTC+1, JNugent wrote:
> On 09/05/2022 10:20 am, Mike Collins wrote:

> >> [Someone snipped the bit about the power of a constable to arrest anyone
> >> breaching that Act.]
> >> It is true that there are a lot more motor vehicles than there are
> >> fairy-cyclists.
> >>
> >> And the roads should be for the many, not the few.
> >
> > So what you are saying is the roads are for pedestrians and cyclists because they outnumber motorists.
> Try again.
>
> We are all pedestrians, hence the immediate need for a campaign against
> footway fairy-cycling (immediate seizure and destruction of the
> fairy-cycle and a swingeing fine for the scofflaw fairy-cyclist).
>
> Fairy-cyclists are a tiny and unrepresentative portion of the
> population. Pedestrians (ie, all of us) deserve to be protected from them..

Thank you for proving my point.

Re: Driver angered by cyclists "taking up the road" fined £1,000 after shouting abuse and careless driving

<a96ce60e-e0d8-4c1c-b746-3746234a7d48n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9513&group=uk.rec.cycling#9513

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 9 May 2022 08:40:11 -0700 (PDT)
fined_£1,000_after_shouting_abuse_and_careless_driving
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Mon, 9 May 2022 15:40 UTC

Problem is when this happens with motor vehicles they are force multipliers.. So "behaved like a bit of a tit" and "lost his temper and swore a bit" - what humans do sometimes - has to be put in context: "after choosing to drive a motor vehicle". If you lose your cool while walking and start shouting and throwing your weight around you're unlikely to kill anyone. You're committing some kind of public order offense or just merit a talking to. If you're driving a motor vehicle and the other parties are not the risk of "inadvertantly" causing serious injury or death is much, much higher. If only because while a car may be an extension of your body it's not so well controlled.

"he didn't try to kill anyone" - debatable but again with a car the distance between "threat" and "assault" can only be sketchy

Re: Driver angered by cyclists "taking up the road" fined £1,000 after shouting abuse and careless driving

<jdsssmFd4kmU2@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9523&group=uk.rec.cycling#9523

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
ined_£1,000_after_shouting_abuse_and_careless_driving
Date: Mon, 9 May 2022 16:13:10 +0000
 by: Spike - Mon, 9 May 2022 16:13 UTC

On 09/05/2022 10:28, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Sunday, May 8, 2022 at 1:47:23 PM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

> PS The lenient sentance [SIC] has got many people angry.

> A quick Google search came up with a record of 68 points and still driving.

> BLOODY HELL FIRE.

ITS A GOOD JOB CYCLISTS DON'T HAVE LICENCES THEY COULD SCORE THAT IN A DAY

--
Spike

Re: Driver angered by cyclists "taking up the road" fined £1,000 after shouting abuse and careless driving

<c87366be-7d46-467a-888c-116cbc3f1adan@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9530&group=uk.rec.cycling#9530

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 9 May 2022 09:21:17 -0700 (PDT)
fined_£1,000_after_shouting_abuse_and_careless_driving
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Mon, 9 May 2022 16:21 UTC

Our legal system allows for flexibility. Actually quite a bit. Your "A significant fine and 5 points is proportional punishment." is in the eye of the beholder. For me the fine is small there should be at least a temporary suspension of licence. Disagree with that but note if you follow your logic we'll not be punishing anyone who owns a business or has children or parents or animals they need to look after...

Putting the address up here is not in great taste but as others have noted this is all entirely public. Companies House and all that...

Re: Driver angered by cyclists "taking up the road" fined £1,000 after shouting abuse and careless driving

<jdstf2Fd4kmU5@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9531&group=uk.rec.cycling#9531

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
ined_£1,000_after_shouting_abuse_and_careless_driving
Date: Mon, 9 May 2022 16:22:58 +0000
 by: Spike - Mon, 9 May 2022 16:22 UTC

On 09/05/2022 15:40, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

> Problem is [SIC] when this happens with motor vehicles they are force multipliers. So "behaved like a bit of a tit" and "lost his temper and swore a bit" - what humans do sometimes - has to be put in context: "after choosing to drive a motor vehicle". If you lose your cool while walking and start shouting and throwing your weight around you're unlikely to kill anyone. You're committing some kind of public order offense [SIC] or just merit a talking to [SIC]. If you're driving a motor vehicle and the other parties are not the risk of "inadvertantly" [SIC]causing serious injury or death is much, much higher. If only because
while a car may be an extension of your body it's not so well controlled
> "he didn't try to kill anyone" - debatable but again with a car the distance between "threat" and "assault" can only be sketchy

--
Spike

Re: Driver angered by cyclists "taking up the road" fined £1,000 after shouting abuse and careless driving

<f17c22cf-de6c-4595-8c2b-66eb88eaf713n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9532&group=uk.rec.cycling#9532

Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!weretis.net!feeder8.news.weretis.net!ecngs!feeder2.ecngs.de!178.20.174.213.MISMATCH!feeder1.feed.usenet.farm!feed.usenet.farm!news-out.netnews.com!news.alt.net!fdc2.netnews.com!peer03.ams1!peer.ams1.xlned.com!news.xlned.com!peer01.iad!feed-me.highwinds-media.com!news.highwinds-media.com!news-out.google.com!nntp.google.com!postnews.google.com!google-groups.googlegroups.com!not-for-mail
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 9 May 2022 09:23:52 -0700 (PDT)
fined_£1,000_after_shouting_abuse_and_careless_driving
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Mon, 9 May 2022 16:23 UTC

I understand the sentiment, but disagree with the conclusion.

There are way too many cases in this country where dangerous drivers (and some behaving "like a bit of a tit" behind the wheel falls into that category) are allowed to keep their licence because it will impact on their family/work/company/whatever (delete as appropriate).

Someone who relies on driving for those things needs to take responsibility for not driving in a way that endangers their licence (and other humans) and not suspending their licence at all doesn't reinforce that message at all, it reinforces a message that if their car is important to them they can get away with behaving like a bit of a tit behind the wheel.

The "mob mentality" comes from the fact that readers on this site have seen it too many times without the prospect of it changing and are fed up of there being no genuine consequences for terrible driving.