From: jgaines_...@yahoo.co.uk (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: Windows 10 - Couldn't Complete the Update
Date: 19 May 2021 10:30:44 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Wed, 19 May 2021 10:30 UTC

I managed to fix this once using the troubleshooter - only time in ANY
version of Windows it has ever achieved anything!

It's come back, strikes me a reinstall is the easiest solution, it's a
laptop used as a remote control to my main machine so no data and very few
apps on it.

Any thoughts?

--
Jeff Gaines Wiltshire UK
640k ought to be enough for anyone.

Re: Windows 10 - Couldn't Complete the Update

<s82tho$d92$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=955&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#955

From: Pancho.D...@outlook.com (Pancho)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: Re: Windows 10 - Couldn't Complete the Update
Date: Wed, 19 May 2021 12:41:43 +0100
 by: Pancho - Wed, 19 May 2021 11:41 UTC

On 19/05/2021 11:30, Jeff Gaines wrote:

> I managed to fix this once using the troubleshooter - only time in ANY
> version of Windows it has ever achieved anything!
>
> It's come back, strikes me a reinstall is the easiest solution, it's a
> laptop used as a remote control to my main machine so no data and very
> few apps on it.
>
> Any thoughts?

If it has nothing important on it, why bother updating at all?

Re: Windows 10 - Couldn't Complete the Update

<xn0my2pky5i4kk003@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=957&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#957

From: jgaines_...@yahoo.co.uk (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 19 May 2021 12:00:06 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Wed, 19 May 2021 12:00 UTC

On 19/05/2021 in message <s82tho$d92$1@dont-email.me> Pancho wrote:

>On 19/05/2021 11:30, Jeff Gaines wrote:
>>
>>I managed to fix this once using the troubleshooter - only time in ANY
>>version of Windows it has ever achieved anything!
>>
>>It's come back, strikes me a reinstall is the easiest solution, it's a
>>laptop used as a remote control to my main machine so no data and very
>>few apps on it.
>>
>>Any thoughts?
>>
>If it has nothing important on it, why bother updating at all?

It's connected to the network so it seem sensible.

--
Jeff Gaines Wiltshire UK
I've been through the desert on a horse with no name.

Re: Windows 10 - Couldn't Complete the Update

<s83cm8$u2$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=969&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#969

From: Pancho.D...@outlook.com (Pancho)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Wed, 19 May 2021 17:00:07 +0100
 by: Pancho - Wed, 19 May 2021 16:00 UTC

On 19/05/2021 13:00, Jeff Gaines wrote:
> On 19/05/2021 in message <s82tho$d92$1@dont-email.me> Pancho wrote:
>
>> On 19/05/2021 11:30, Jeff Gaines wrote:
>>>
>>> I managed to fix this once using the troubleshooter - only time in
>>> ANY version of Windows it has ever achieved anything!
>>>
>>> It's come back, strikes me a reinstall is the easiest solution, it's
>>> a laptop used as a remote control to my main machine so no data and
>>> very few apps on it.
>>>
>>> Any thoughts?
>>>
>> If it has nothing important on it, why bother updating at all?
>
> It's connected to the network so it seem sensible.

OK, I won't pretend to know how real the threat is. I just can't help
but suspect it would be more efficient to implement network security
measures.

Re: Windows 10 - Couldn't Complete the Update

<igl1f6Fj0boU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=970&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#970

From: jai...@usually.sessile.org (Jaimie Vandenbergh)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 19 May 2021 17:50:30 GMT
 by: Jaimie Vandenbergh - Wed, 19 May 2021 17:50 UTC

On 19 May 2021 at 17:00:07 BST, "Pancho"
<Pancho.Dontmaileme@outlook.com> wrote:

> On 19/05/2021 13:00, Jeff Gaines wrote:

>>> If it has nothing important on it, why bother updating at all?
>>
>> It's connected to the network so it seem sensible.
>>

> OK, I won't pretend to know how real the threat is. I just can't help
> but suspect it would be more efficient to implement network security
> measures.

Have you met Windows? Its attack surface is on the geographical scale.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
Tomorrow (noun) - A mystical land where 99 per cent
of all human productivity, motivation and achievement