From: mUNDERSC...@chareDOTorg.uk (Michael Chare)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Solar Panels ensuing that home deivices have priority?
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2023 14:07:28 +0100
 by: Michael Chare - Mon, 17 Apr 2023 13:07 UTC

How does one ensure that power from solar panels goes to house hold
devices and only any surplus goes out to the grid?

Wether or not there is abattery.

--
Michael Chare

Re: Solar Panels ensuing that home deivices have priority?

<ka4vkcFi2j3U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=95677&group=uk.d-i-y#95677

From: adr...@inspired-glass.com (Adrian Brentnall)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2023 14:24:28 +0100
 by: Adrian Brentnall - Mon, 17 Apr 2023 13:24 UTC

On 17/04/2023 14:07, Michael Chare wrote:
> How does one ensure that power from solar panels goes to house hold
> devices and only any surplus goes out to the grid?
>
> Wether or not there is abattery.

It's a thing that's controlled by the setup of the inverter.
The usual arrangement is

1) - supply the house load
2) - then charge the battery (if fitted)
3) - then export any remaining surplus to the grid

If you have a device like an eddi (www.myenergi.com) then it will divert
as much surplus as it can after stage 2 into the domestic hot water, or
any other purely-resistive load (like a simple heater, for instance)

In the setup of the inverter and the eddi, you can set various power
levels, stop export altogether and do all sorts fo weird & wonderful things.

Re: Solar Panels ensuing that home deivices have priority?

<Jcq*Km1dz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=95681&group=uk.d-i-y#95681

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 17 Apr 2023 14:41:39 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Mon, 17 Apr 2023 13:41 UTC

Michael Chare <mUNDERSCOREnews@charedotorg.uk> wrote:
> How does one ensure that power from solar panels goes to house hold
> devices and only any surplus goes out to the grid?
>
> Wether or not there is abattery.

If you don't have a battery it's simple: the inverter generates whatever it
can from your solar. If that is less than the load from your devices,
you'll import the rest from the grid. If it exceeds the load, the rest is
exported.

It may make economic sense not to export, in which case your battery or
immersion heat diverter can sense excess generation and skim that off. It
just needs a sense coil around one of your meter tails to measure inflow and
outflow.

Theo