From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Non-Event of the Day 765: No collision with Pedro
Date: Wed, 11 May 2022 07:50:15 +0000
 by: Spike - Wed, 11 May 2022 07:50 UTC

The key item that is missing from this report is the confirmation that
the cyclist was travelling at more than 10mph.

Today's Near Miss of the Day is a really close call, with an impatient
and dangerous driver — refusing to wait until after the bend to overtake
a cyclist — almost causing a collision with the van driver coming the
opposite way.

road.cc reader Pedro was riding out of Wakefield towards Royston along
the B6132 when the driver sped past, despite oncoming traffic, causing
the van driver to brake to avoid a collision.

The Highway Code, backed up by the 1988 Road Traffic Act, says that when
there are double white lines where the nearest to you is solid:

This means you MUST NOT cross or straddle it unless it is safe and
you need to enter adjoining premises or a side road. You may cross the
line if necessary, provided the road is clear, to pass a stationary
vehicle, or overtake a pedal cycle, horse or road maintenance vehicle,
if they are travelling at 10 mph (16 km/h) or less.

In all honesty we probably did not need to dig out the Highway Code to
see that the driving was not safe...

Anyway, Pedro told us: "The number plate, make and model of the car
cannot be distinguished. I have to increase the quality mode of the
camera as I am still testing it. I didn't report it to the police
because of this problem."

<https://road.cc/content/news/near-miss-day-765-292681>

--
Spike