Proof by seduction: "Convince yourself that this is true! "

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Restoring Faded Plastic

SubjectAuthor
* Restoring Faded PlasticJeff Gaines
+- Re: Restoring Faded Plasticcharles
+* Re: Restoring Faded Plasticalan_m
|`* Re: Restoring Faded PlasticAndy Burns
| `* Re: Restoring Faded PlasticBrian Gaff
|  `- Re: Restoring Faded PlasticAndy Burns
+* Re: Restoring Faded PlasticAndy Burns
|+- Re: Restoring Faded PlasticThe Natural Philosopher
|`- Re: Restoring Faded PlasticBrian Gaff
+* Re: Restoring Faded PlasticThomas Prufer
|`* Re: Restoring Faded PlasticTim Lamb
| `- Re: Restoring Faded PlasticThomas Prufer
+- Re: Restoring Faded PlasticBrian Gaff
+- Re: Restoring Faded PlasticJeff Gaines
`- Re: Restoring Faded PlasticRJH

1
Restoring Faded Plastic

<xn0o0qug08lrud2005@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=95778&group=uk.d-i-y#95778

From: jgnew...@outlook.com (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Restoring Faded Plastic
Date: 18 Apr 2023 14:37:01 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Tue, 18 Apr 2023 14:37 UTC

I want to carry out some maintenance to my rainwater goods when the sun
comes out. It is all brown plastic, seems in good condition but badly
faded. It also has what seems like a bottle cleaning brush (twisted wire
with bristles) in the gutter which has proved a good base for moss to grow
and clog the outlets, I plan to remove and scrap that.

Is there a known method to bring this faded plastic back to life? Google
produces lots of results that seem to involve anything from vinegar to
hydrogen peroxide pus lots of elbow grease. I am happy to put some effort
in but I wouldn't mind a steer to what might work rather than magic
potions :-)

Many thanks.

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
There are 10 types of people in the world, those who do binary and those

Re: Restoring Faded Plastic

<5a9716eaf3charles@candehope.me.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=95780&group=uk.d-i-y#95780

From: char...@candehope.me.uk (charles)
Subject: Re: Restoring Faded Plastic
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2023 16:06:21 +0100
 by: charles - Tue, 18 Apr 2023 15:06 UTC

In article <xn0o0qug08lrud2005@news.individual.net>, Jeff Gaines
<jgnewsid@outlook.com> wrote:

> I want to carry out some maintenance to my rainwater goods when the sun
> comes out. It is all brown plastic, seems in good condition but badly
> faded. It also has what seems like a bottle cleaning brush (twisted wire
> with bristles) in the gutter which has proved a good base for moss to
> grow and clog the outlets, I plan to remove and scrap that.

That stuff is used to prevent the gutter clogging with leaves.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England - sent from my RISC OS 4té

Re: Restoring Faded Plastic

<ka7qmaFtc0nU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=95781&group=uk.d-i-y#95781

From: jun...@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2023 16:18:35 +0100
 by: alan_m - Tue, 18 Apr 2023 15:18 UTC

On 18/04/2023 15:37, Jeff Gaines wrote:

> I want to carry out some maintenance to my rainwater goods when the sun
> comes out. It is all brown plastic, seems in good condition but badly
> faded. It also has what seems like a bottle cleaning brush (twisted wire
> with bristles) in the gutter which has proved a good base for moss to
> grow and clog the outlets, I plan to remove and scrap that.
>
> Is there a known method to bring this faded plastic back to life? Google
> produces lots of results that seem to involve anything from vinegar to
> hydrogen peroxide pus lots of elbow grease. I am happy to put some
> effort in but I wouldn't mind a steer to what might work rather than
> magic potions :-)
Gloss solvent based paint, first clean off with soapy water and then
just a single coat of paint. In my experience the surface will be touch
dry as stated on the tin but underneath will remain soft for days/weeks
so just leave it alone without touching it.

Possibly,
https://www.toolstation.com/everbuild-pvcu-solvent-cleaner/p31464

Re: Restoring Faded Plastic

<ka7rs2Ftk6hU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=95784&group=uk.d-i-y#95784

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2023 16:38:40 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Tue, 18 Apr 2023 15:38 UTC

Jeff Gaines wrote:

> I want to carry out some maintenance to my rainwater goods when the sun
> comes out. It is all brown plastic, seems in good condition but badly
> faded. It also has what seems like a bottle cleaning brush (twisted wire
> with bristles) in the gutter

aka hedgehog brush ... intended to keep leaves etc out of gutter

> which has proved a good base for moss to
> grow and clog the outlets, I plan to remove and scrap that.
>
> Is there a known method to bring this faded plastic back to life? Google
> produces lots of results that seem to involve anything from vinegar to
> hydrogen peroxide pus lots of elbow grease.

sounds like retr0briting, usually dont to lighten platic that's
yellowed, can't see it darkening plastic that's faded ... brown paint?

Re: Restoring Faded Plastic

<ka7ru2Ftk6hU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=95785&group=uk.d-i-y#95785

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2023 16:39:45 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Tue, 18 Apr 2023 15:39 UTC

alan_m wrote:

> Possibly,
> https://www.toolstation.com/everbuild-pvcu-solvent-cleaner/p31464

definitely use a solvent rated respirator with that stuff

Re: Restoring Faded Plastic

<dtht3ih4kpb6o3digov7g2jgln29d4l290@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=95787&group=uk.d-i-y#95787

From: prufer.p...@mnet-online.de.invalid (Thomas Prufer)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2023 18:41:29 +0200
 by: Thomas Prufer - Tue, 18 Apr 2023 16:41 UTC

On 18 Apr 2023 14:37:01 GMT, "Jeff Gaines" <jgnewsid@outlook.com> wrote:

>I am happy to put some effort
>in but I wouldn't mind a steer to what might work rather than magic
>potions :-)

Try "Armor All".

Magic potion on rubber, less so but still good on plastic. Works well on UV
fading, lasts (up to years), is easy to apply (wipe/spray/brush on, don't bother
with wiping off) ...

I like the stuff.

Thomas Prufer

Re: Restoring Faded Plastic

<uYqwGBeWktPkFwHE@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=95795&group=uk.d-i-y#95795

From: tim...@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk (Tim Lamb)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2023 18:53:26 +0100
 by: Tim Lamb - Tue, 18 Apr 2023 17:53 UTC

In message <dtht3ih4kpb6o3digov7g2jgln29d4l290@4ax.com>, Thomas Prufer
<prufer.public@mnet-online.de.invalid> writes
>On 18 Apr 2023 14:37:01 GMT, "Jeff Gaines" <jgnewsid@outlook.com> wrote:
>
>>I am happy to put some effort
>>in but I wouldn't mind a steer to what might work rather than magic
>>potions :-)
>
>Try "Armor All".
>
>Magic potion on rubber, less so but still good on plastic. Works well on UV
>fading, lasts (up to years), is easy to apply (wipe/spray/brush on,
>don't bother
>with wiping off) ...
>
>I like the stuff.

Er. Should someone mention new brown squareline gutter is about £4.0/m?

--
Tim Lamb

Re: Restoring Faded Plastic

<u1mmbb$3kpnd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=95796&group=uk.d-i-y#95796

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2023 19:08:43 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Tue, 18 Apr 2023 18:08 UTC

On 18/04/2023 16:38, Andy Burns wrote:
> Jeff Gaines wrote:
>

>> I want to carry out some maintenance to my rainwater goods when the
>> sun comes out. It is all brown plastic, seems in good condition but
>> badly faded. It also has what seems like a bottle cleaning brush
>> (twisted wire with bristles) in the gutter
>
> aka hedgehog brush ... intended to keep leaves etc out of gutter
>
>> which has proved a good base for moss to grow and clog the outlets, I
>> plan to remove and scrap that.
>>
>> Is there a known method to bring this faded plastic back to life?
>> Google produces lots of results that seem to involve anything from
>> vinegar to hydrogen peroxide pus lots of elbow grease.
>

> sounds like retr0briting, usually dont to lighten platic that's
> yellowed, can't see it darkening plastic that's faded ... brown paint?

There are various car products that may do what you want. Check Halfords
etc.

kind word alone.

Al Capone

Re: Restoring Faded Plastic

<u1oi3d$1208$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=95855&group=uk.d-i-y#95855

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2023 12:08:26 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Wed, 19 Apr 2023 11:08 UTC

I've never found anything that will work myself, as often the plastic goes
brittle so too much attempt at abrasion to reveal a new surface can crack
the plastic. Have you thought of painting it with something?
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"Jeff Gaines" <jgnewsid@outlook.com> wrote in message

> I want to carry out some maintenance to my rainwater goods when the sun
> comes out. It is all brown plastic, seems in good condition but badly
> faded. It also has what seems like a bottle cleaning brush (twisted wire
> with bristles) in the gutter which has proved a good base for moss to grow
> and clog the outlets, I plan to remove and scrap that.
>
> Is there a known method to bring this faded plastic back to life? Google
> produces lots of results that seem to involve anything from vinegar to
> hydrogen peroxide pus lots of elbow grease. I am happy to put some effort
> in but I wouldn't mind a steer to what might work rather than magic
> potions :-)
>
> Many thanks.
>
> --
> Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
> There are 10 types of people in the world, those who do binary and those
> who don't.

Re: Restoring Faded Plastic

<u1oia9$1314$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=95856&group=uk.d-i-y#95856

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2023 12:12:06 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Wed, 19 Apr 2023 11:12 UTC

Would it not be oK out of doors though?. I remember almost passing out once
when I built model aircraft, that clear dope was lethal. Made me go all
squiffy.
Brian

--

--:
"Andy Burns" <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote in message
> alan_m wrote:
>

>> Possibly,
>> https://www.toolstation.com/everbuild-pvcu-solvent-cleaner/p31464
>
> definitely use a solvent rated respirator with that stuff

Re: Restoring Faded Plastic

<u1oifu$13s7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=95857&group=uk.d-i-y#95857

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2023 12:15:07 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Wed, 19 Apr 2023 11:15 UTC

Those brushes can be replaced by a slightly trimmed loo brush of the round
type, but make sure you hook a bit of wire to it so you can suspend it and
have something to pull it out with every so often. I had one on my garage
when I had one and it used to get crud in it surprisingly quickly.
Brian

--

--:
> Jeff Gaines wrote:
>

>> I want to carry out some maintenance to my rainwater goods when the sun
>> comes out. It is all brown plastic, seems in good condition but badly
>> faded. It also has what seems like a bottle cleaning brush (twisted wire
>> with bristles) in the gutter
>
> aka hedgehog brush ... intended to keep leaves etc out of gutter
>
>> which has proved a good base for moss to grow and clog the outlets, I
>> plan to remove and scrap that.
>>
>> Is there a known method to bring this faded plastic back to life? Google
>> produces lots of results that seem to involve anything from vinegar to
>> hydrogen peroxide pus lots of elbow grease.
>

> sounds like retr0briting, usually dont to lighten platic that's yellowed,
> can't see it darkening plastic that's faded ... brown paint?

Re: Restoring Faded Plastic

<kaa226F9ejbU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=95864&group=uk.d-i-y#95864

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2023 12:36:32 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Wed, 19 Apr 2023 11:36 UTC

Brian Gaff wrote:

> Would it not be oK out of doors though?.

Not really, I remember feeling quite woozy while wiping down the garage
PVC fascia with a rag soaked in the stuff, wouldn't want to be up a
ladder using it ...

Re: Restoring Faded Plastic

<xn0o0tdl7b320v6007@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=95905&group=uk.d-i-y#95905

From: jgnew...@outlook.com (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 20 Apr 2023 08:16:22 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Thu, 20 Apr 2023 08:16 UTC

On 18/04/2023 in message <xn0o0qug08lrud2005@news.individual.net> Jeff
Gaines wrote:

>Is there a known method to bring this faded plastic back to life?

Many thanks for all the replies, much appreciated :-)

I will have to think about the cost/effort of cleaning (which may not be
enormously successful) against the cost of replacement.

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
Though no-one can go back and make a new start, everyone can start from

Re: Restoring Faded Plastic

<6ku14ipl8l1pdk7ehrsv2f4tlqllo1kujq@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=95913&group=uk.d-i-y#95913

From: prufer.p...@mnet-online.de.invalid (Thomas Prufer)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2023 11:55:56 +0200
 by: Thomas Prufer - Thu, 20 Apr 2023 09:55 UTC

On Tue, 18 Apr 2023 18:53:26 +0100, Tim Lamb <tim@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>
wrote:

>In message <dtht3ih4kpb6o3digov7g2jgln29d4l290@4ax.com>, Thomas Prufer
><prufer.public@mnet-online.de.invalid> writes
>>On 18 Apr 2023 14:37:01 GMT, "Jeff Gaines" <jgnewsid@outlook.com> wrote:
>>
>>>I am happy to put some effort
>>>in but I wouldn't mind a steer to what might work rather than magic
>>>potions :-)
>>
>>Try "Armor All".
>>
>>Magic potion on rubber, less so but still good on plastic. Works well on UV
>>fading, lasts (up to years), is easy to apply (wipe/spray/brush on,
>>don't bother
>>with wiping off) ...
>>
>>I like the stuff.
>
>Er. Should someone mention new brown squareline gutter is about £4.0/m?

.... which will get you a 300 ml bottle of ArmorAll, which should be good for
several tens of meters. Plus it's a lot less work to wipe on than to install the
new guttering!

Thomas Prufer

Re: Restoring Faded Plastic

<u20vl9$3b2fj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=96115&group=uk.d-i-y#96115

From: patchmo...@gmx.com (RJH)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2023 15:48:57 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RJH - Sat, 22 Apr 2023 15:48 UTC

On 18 Apr 2023 at 15:37:01 BST, "Jeff Gaines" wrote:

> I want to carry out some maintenance to my rainwater goods when the sun
> comes out. It is all brown plastic, seems in good condition but badly
> faded. It also has what seems like a bottle cleaning brush (twisted wire
> with bristles) in the gutter which has proved a good base for moss to grow
> and clog the outlets, I plan to remove and scrap that.
>
> Is there a known method to bring this faded plastic back to life? Google
> produces lots of results that seem to involve anything from vinegar to
> hydrogen peroxide pus lots of elbow grease. I am happy to put some effort
> in but I wouldn't mind a steer to what might work rather than magic
> potions :-)
>
> Many thanks.

Oil-based paint - I used black gloss on faded black gutters and downpipes.
Took some days to dry. Still looks good after several years.

--
Cheers, Rob, Sheffield UK