From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Non-Event of the Day 766: cyclist negotiates junction
Date: Thu, 12 May 2022 08:10:28 +0000
 by: Spike - Thu, 12 May 2022 08:10 UTC

Note that the cyclist in this non-story could have either slowed or
stopped, using the device called a 'brake', rather than the proposed
alternative of taking the secondary position, the 'primary position'
being as laid down in the Highway Code as 'keep well to the left'.

There can be no excuses for the driver featured in today’s Near Miss,
who [ALLEGEDLY] looked directly at the approaching cyclist for several
seconds before pulling out right in front of them [ALLEGEDLY] at the
last possible moment.

The road.cc reader who sent in the video was 70 miles into a century
ride through Cornwall and had [ALLEGEDLY] experienced a number of close
passes on the same road, which [ALLEGEDLY] forced them to ride close to
the footpath.

“I’d pulled in to the gutter to let the traffic behind me pass, because
they were squeezing through anyway. In hindsight I should have just
taken the primary position,” the cyclist [ALLEGED].

“I couldn't believe he looked me in the eye for ages and then pulled
out. I'm glad I was going slowly!”

Unfortunately, the cyclist [ALLEGEDLY] couldn’t see the motorist’s
number plate so was unable to report the incident to the police.

<https://road.cc/content/news/near-miss-day-766-292703>

[CLARIFICATIONS ADDED]

--
Spike