Q: What do you call the scratches that you get when a female sheep bites you? A: Ewe nicks.

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Re: Hedge Trimmer

SubjectAuthor
* Hedge TrimmerJeff Gaines
+- Re: Hedge TrimmerJohn Rumm
+* Re: Hedge TrimmerTheo
|+* Re: Hedge TrimmerSH
||`* Re: Hedge TrimmerTheo
|| +- Re: Hedge Trimmerfred
|| `* Re: Hedge Trimmercharles
||  `- Re: Hedge TrimmerJohn Rumm
|`- Re: Hedge TrimmerJohn Rumm
+* Re: Hedge TrimmerJeff Gaines
|+- Re: Hedge TrimmerTim Lamb
|`* Re: Hedge TrimmerJohn Rumm
| `* Re: Hedge TrimmerTheo
|  `- Re: Hedge TrimmerAndy Burns
`- Re: Hedge TrimmerRDS

1
Hedge Trimmer

<xn0o0tdoub37b5v008@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=95906&group=uk.d-i-y#95906

From: jgnew...@outlook.com (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Hedge Trimmer
Date: 20 Apr 2023 08:20:29 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Thu, 20 Apr 2023 08:20 UTC

It hasn't rained for two days in a row now so I need to think about the
garden.

I have a 6' high fir or fern bush that needs trimming and some low bushy
type plants that need keeping under control. A cordless trimmer will be
more fun than shears, and may help to ensure I do it. What are the more
reliable makes to consider please? The days of Black & Decker for cheap
and Bosch for quality seem a long way in the past.

Many thanks :-)

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
Though no-one can go back and make a new start, everyone can start from

Re: Hedge Trimmer

<u1r63r$il99$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=95919&group=uk.d-i-y#95919

From: see.my.s...@nowhere.null (John Rumm)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Hedge Trimmer
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2023 12:02:17 +0100
 by: John Rumm - Thu, 20 Apr 2023 11:02 UTC

On 20/04/2023 09:20, Jeff Gaines wrote:

> It hasn't rained for two days in a row now so I need to think about the
> garden.
>
> I have a 6' high fir or fern bush that needs trimming and some low bushy
> type plants that need keeping under control. A cordless trimmer will be
> more fun than shears, and may help to ensure I do it. What are the more
> reliable makes to consider please? The days of Black & Decker for cheap
> and Bosch for quality seem a long way in the past.

The "blue" Bosch tools are still very good IME. The green stuff a bit
more variable.

As with most cordless tool questions, you need to start with battery
platform. If you are already invested in a platform, then that usually
makes many of the decisions for you.

If not, then pick a brand that has a range of tools that meets your
needs and go with that.

I have a few[1] Makita garden tools, which generally are pretty good.
They have a pretty extensive range of garden tools on their 18V
platform, including 36V (two battery) versions.

[1] 18V line trimmer - good range of adjustments for length an angle,
head can be rotated. Single line with bump feed that works reliably. Cut
performance is comparable to a traditional single line trimmer like the
original "strimmer" tools - good for grass and edges etc but it is not
going to clear heavy brush. (there are 36V versions if you need that).

18V hedge trimmer - generally very impressive with a substantial run
time from a 5Ah battery (I can slay three large pampas grass on less
than half a charge). Max cut on woody stuff is slightly under what you
would get on a mains one. However the single batt keeps it light enough
for extended use.

36V top handle chain saw, which is very very good - same power and cut
speed as I can get from my 43cc 14" petrol saw. Good oil feed, easy
blade change and adjustment, nicely balanced.

--
Cheers,

John.

Re: Hedge Trimmer

<Jcq*UDeez@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=95920&group=uk.d-i-y#95920

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 20 Apr 2023 12:10:51 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Thu, 20 Apr 2023 11:10 UTC

Jeff Gaines <jgnewsid@outlook.com> wrote:

> It hasn't rained for two days in a row now so I need to think about the
> garden.
>
> I have a 6' high fir or fern bush that needs trimming and some low bushy
> type plants that need keeping under control. A cordless trimmer will be
> more fun than shears, and may help to ensure I do it. What are the more
> reliable makes to consider please? The days of Black & Decker for cheap
> and Bosch for quality seem a long way in the past.

Do you have any other cordless power tools? Do those manufacturers sell the
tool that you want? It is often cheaper to use the batteries from a tool
system you already have, rather than buying new battery/ies and charger on
top of the tool itself.

Although there are also adapters, so it is possible to use them unofficially
on different systems - with some downsides.

OTTOMH the major power tool brands with a wider range of garden stuff:
Bosch
Makita
Ryobi

Each of them have several battery platforms, so you need to confirm which
platform(s) the tool works with.

There are other 'garden' specific brands that don't do DIY power tools. You
would need to decide whether buying into their platform makes sense for
whatever else you might use the battery for (other garden tools mainly)

Theo

Re: Hedge Trimmer

<u1r6u6$hnfh$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=95921&group=uk.d-i-y#95921

From: i.l...@spam.com (SH)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2023 12:16:22 +0100
 by: SH - Thu, 20 Apr 2023 11:16 UTC

On 20/04/2023 12:10, Theo wrote:
> Jeff Gaines <jgnewsid@outlook.com> wrote:
>>
>> It hasn't rained for two days in a row now so I need to think about the
>> garden.
>>
>> I have a 6' high fir or fern bush that needs trimming and some low bushy
>> type plants that need keeping under control. A cordless trimmer will be
>> more fun than shears, and may help to ensure I do it. What are the more
>> reliable makes to consider please? The days of Black & Decker for cheap
>> and Bosch for quality seem a long way in the past.
>
> Do you have any other cordless power tools? Do those manufacturers sell the
> tool that you want? It is often cheaper to use the batteries from a tool
> system you already have, rather than buying new battery/ies and charger on
> top of the tool itself.
>
> Although there are also adapters, so it is possible to use them unofficially
> on different systems - with some downsides.
>
> OTTOMH the major power tool brands with a wider range of garden stuff:
> Bosch
> Makita
> Ryobi
>
> Each of them have several battery platforms, so you need to confirm which
> platform(s) the tool works with.
>
> There are other 'garden' specific brands that don't do DIY power tools. You
> would need to decide whether buying into their platform makes sense for
> whatever else you might use the battery for (other garden tools mainly)
>
> Theo

As someone whose majority of power tools are mains powered with only 3
battery power tools (using two different battery systems) the batteries
concerned are now overdue for replacement as they no longer fully charge
or hold charge:

If one is starting out from scratch to build up a collection of battery
powered tools using a single common battery platform, this then leads to
the question of:

Which is the best battery platform to use?

Stephen.

Re: Hedge Trimmer

<Icq*mKeez@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=95925&group=uk.d-i-y#95925

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 20 Apr 2023 12:38:26 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Thu, 20 Apr 2023 11:38 UTC

SH <i.love@spam.com> wrote:
> If one is starting out from scratch to build up a collection of battery
> powered tools using a single common battery platform, this then leads to
> the question of:
>
> Which is the best battery platform to use?

The one that has the tools you want to use.

eg some of them like Makita and Ryobi have a lot of garden tools, while
Milwaukee and Dewalt not as many. Meanwhile those two might be better for
construction than say Ryobi or Greenworks.

Although sometimes individual tools aren't so good - for example I'm in the
market for a multi tool, but Makita's aren't very good. So I'm looking at
using a Makita battery in a Ryobi tool. Ryobi tools tend to have a mixed
reputation (they are cheap and cheerful in the US, but not so cheap here)
but in this instance the Ryobi looks better.

Theo

Re: Hedge Trimmer

<02be3f40-e7e1-4b80-a672-90889cd48653n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=95926&group=uk.d-i-y#95926

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2023 04:51:00 -0700 (PDT)
From: tpmcc...@gmail.com (fred)
 by: fred - Thu, 20 Apr 2023 11:51 UTC

On Thursday, April 20, 2023 at 12:38:32 PM UTC+1, Theo wrote:
> SH <i.l...@spam.com> wrote:
> > If one is starting out from scratch to build up a collection of battery
> > powered tools using a single common battery platform, this then leads to
> > the question of:
> >
> > Which is the best battery platform to use?
> The one that has the tools you want to use.
>
> eg some of them like Makita and Ryobi have a lot of garden tools, while
> Milwaukee and Dewalt not as many. Meanwhile those two might be better for
> construction than say Ryobi or Greenworks.
>
> Although sometimes individual tools aren't so good - for example I'm in the
> market for a multi tool, but Makita's aren't very good. So I'm looking at
> using a Makita battery in a Ryobi tool. Ryobi tools tend to have a mixed
> reputation (they are cheap and cheerful in the US, but not so cheap here)
> but in this instance the Ryobi looks better.
>
> Theo

We have a mixture of Bosch blue and green. The blue would have the edge. We also have Husqvarna hedge trimmer, chain saw and strimmer. Batteries last well in these though recently one battery refused to take a charge (it was tested at having been charged a total of 7 times). It was replaced under warranty after a bit of faffing about

Re: Hedge Trimmer

<5a9811e07echarles@candehope.me.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=95929&group=uk.d-i-y#95929

From: char...@candehope.me.uk (charles)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2023 13:47:30 +0100
 by: charles - Thu, 20 Apr 2023 12:47 UTC

In article <Icq*mKeez@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>,
Theo <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
> SH <i.love@spam.com> wrote:
> > If one is starting out from scratch to build up a collection of battery
> > powered tools using a single common battery platform, this then leads to
> > the question of:
> >
> > Which is the best battery platform to use?

> The one that has the tools you want to use.

> eg some of them like Makita and Ryobi have a lot of garden tools, while
> Milwaukee and Dewalt not as many. Meanwhile those two might be better for
> construction than say Ryobi or Greenworks.

I'm very happy with Riobi, having adopted the make for a power drill some
15 years ago.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England - sent from my RISC OS 4té

Re: Hedge Trimmer

<xn0o0tm8kbeusai00c@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=95932&group=uk.d-i-y#95932

From: jgnew...@outlook.com (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 20 Apr 2023 13:46:40 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Thu, 20 Apr 2023 13:46 UTC

On 20/04/2023 in message <xn0o0tdoub37b5v008@news.individual.net> Jeff
Gaines wrote:

>It hasn't rained for two days in a row now so I need to think about the
>garden.
>
>I have a 6' high fir or fern bush that needs trimming and some low bushy
>type plants that need keeping under control. A cordless trimmer will be
>more fun than shears, and may help to ensure I do it. What are the more
>reliable makes to consider please? The days of Black & Decker for cheap
>and Bosch for quality seem a long way in the past.

Many thanks for the replies :-)

My electric screwdriver is Ryobi (with a 1.5 A power pack) so i would seem
sensible to go for one of those. BUT corded versions are half the price so
I went for a £45 corded one, it's a small garden and I can get power
everywhere in it so it seems a sensible choice.

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
All those who believe in psychokinesis raise my hand.

Re: Hedge Trimmer

<GuiaL7nKSVQkFw5c@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=95936&group=uk.d-i-y#95936

From: tim...@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk (Tim Lamb)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2023 16:04:42 +0100
 by: Tim Lamb - Thu, 20 Apr 2023 15:04 UTC

In message <xn0o0tm8kbeusai00c@news.individual.net>, Jeff Gaines
<jgnewsid@outlook.com> writes
>On 20/04/2023 in message <xn0o0tdoub37b5v008@news.individual.net> Jeff
>Gaines wrote:
>

>>It hasn't rained for two days in a row now so I need to think about
>>the garden.
>>
>>I have a 6' high fir or fern bush that needs trimming and some low
>>bushy type plants that need keeping under control. A cordless trimmer
>>will be more fun than shears, and may help to ensure I do it. What are
>>the more reliable makes to consider please? The days of Black & Decker
>>for cheap and Bosch for quality seem a long way in the past.
>
>Many thanks for the replies :-)
>
>My electric screwdriver is Ryobi (with a 1.5 A power pack) so i would
>seem sensible to go for one of those. BUT corded versions are half the
>price so I went for a £45 corded one, it's a small garden and I can get
>power everywhere in it so it seems a sensible choice.

Hang the cord over your shoulder rather than trailed. Use a suitable
circuit breaker.

--
Tim Lamb

Re: Hedge Trimmer

<u1rlev$l6mf$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=95939&group=uk.d-i-y#95939

From: rsa...@yahoo.com (RDS)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2023 16:24:15 +0100
 by: RDS - Thu, 20 Apr 2023 15:24 UTC

On 20/04/2023 09:20, Jeff Gaines wrote:

> I have a 6' high fir or fern bush that needs trimming and some low bushy
> type plants that need keeping under control. A cordless trimmer will be
> more fun than shears, and may help to ensure I do it. What are the more
> reliable makes to consider please? The days of Black & Decker for cheap
> and Bosch for quality seem a long way in the past.

I don't know if they do a tool that suits your needs but i've been
delighted with everything i've got from Aldi.

Re: Hedge Trimmer

<u1rt39$mdeq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=95945&group=uk.d-i-y#95945

From: see.my.s...@nowhere.null (John Rumm)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2023 18:34:32 +0100
 by: John Rumm - Thu, 20 Apr 2023 17:34 UTC

On 20/04/2023 12:10, Theo wrote:
> Jeff Gaines <jgnewsid@outlook.com> wrote:
>>
>> It hasn't rained for two days in a row now so I need to think about the
>> garden.
>>
>> I have a 6' high fir or fern bush that needs trimming and some low bushy
>> type plants that need keeping under control. A cordless trimmer will be
>> more fun than shears, and may help to ensure I do it. What are the more
>> reliable makes to consider please? The days of Black & Decker for cheap
>> and Bosch for quality seem a long way in the past.
>
> Do you have any other cordless power tools? Do those manufacturers sell the
> tool that you want? It is often cheaper to use the batteries from a tool
> system you already have, rather than buying new battery/ies and charger on
> top of the tool itself.
>
> Although there are also adapters, so it is possible to use them unofficially
> on different systems - with some downsides.
>
> OTTOMH the major power tool brands with a wider range of garden stuff:
> Bosch
> Makita
> Ryobi

Milwaukee also have some garden tools like chainsaws etc - although
newer to the UK market.

--
Cheers,

John.

Re: Hedge Trimmer

<u1s20f$n545$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=95956&group=uk.d-i-y#95956

From: see.my.s...@nowhere.null (John Rumm)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2023 19:58:23 +0100
 by: John Rumm - Thu, 20 Apr 2023 18:58 UTC

On 20/04/2023 13:47, charles wrote:
> In article <Icq*mKeez@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>,
> Theo <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
>> SH <i.love@spam.com> wrote:
>>> If one is starting out from scratch to build up a collection of battery
>>> powered tools using a single common battery platform, this then leads to
>>> the question of:
>>>
>>> Which is the best battery platform to use?
>
>> The one that has the tools you want to use.
>
>> eg some of them like Makita and Ryobi have a lot of garden tools, while
>> Milwaukee and Dewalt not as many. Meanwhile those two might be better for
>> construction than say Ryobi or Greenworks.
>
> I'm very happy with Riobi, having adopted the make for a power drill some
> 15 years ago.

Just steer well clear of their petrol line trimmers - they are very very
poor IME!

--
Cheers,

John.

Re: Hedge Trimmer

<u1s222$n545$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=95957&group=uk.d-i-y#95957

From: see.my.s...@nowhere.null (John Rumm)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2023 19:59:14 +0100
 by: John Rumm - Thu, 20 Apr 2023 18:59 UTC

On 20/04/2023 14:46, Jeff Gaines wrote:
> On 20/04/2023 in message <xn0o0tdoub37b5v008@news.individual.net> Jeff
> Gaines wrote:
>

>> It hasn't rained for two days in a row now so I need to think about
>> the garden.
>>
>> I have a 6' high fir or fern bush that needs trimming and some low
>> bushy type plants that need keeping under control. A cordless trimmer
>> will be more fun than shears, and may help to ensure I do it. What are
>> the more reliable makes to consider please? The days of Black & Decker
>> for cheap and Bosch for quality seem a long way in the past.
>
> Many thanks for the replies :-)
>
> My electric screwdriver is Ryobi (with a 1.5 A power pack) so i would
> seem sensible to go for one of those. BUT corded versions are half the
> price so I went for a £45 corded one, it's a small garden and I can get
> power everywhere in it so it seems a sensible choice.

What voltage battery platform? For garden tools you are likely to want
18V as a minimum.

--
Cheers,

John.

Re: Hedge Trimmer

<Hcq*IIgez@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=95963&group=uk.d-i-y#95963

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 20 Apr 2023 21:37:29 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Thu, 20 Apr 2023 20:37 UTC

John Rumm <see.my.signature@nowhere.null> wrote:
> On 20/04/2023 14:46, Jeff Gaines wrote:
> > Many thanks for the replies :-)
> >
> > My electric screwdriver is Ryobi (with a 1.5 A power pack) so i would
> > seem sensible to go for one of those. BUT corded versions are half the
> > price so I went for a £45 corded one, it's a small garden and I can get
> > power everywhere in it so it seems a sensible choice.
> >

> What voltage battery platform? For garden tools you are likely to want
> 18V as a minimum.

You'll probably also want a bigger number of Ah, not just for the extra
runtime but larger Ah batteries are capable of higher currents which are
necessary for more powerful tools. 3/4/5Ah may be necessary.

I like the theory of the Makita 2x18V system, where two LXT batteries powers
a 36V tool. Other brands have 40 or 60v systems, but you can't as easily
share those batteries with smaller tools.

Dewalt and Aldi (Ferrex) have switchable 20/40v systems where the cells can
be in series or parallel depending on the tool. They get shorter runtime in
40V mode, whereas the dual battery systems are heavier but have more
runtime.

Theo

Re: Hedge Trimmer

<kadmj1Fqo1sU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=95964&group=uk.d-i-y#95964

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2023 21:45:19 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Thu, 20 Apr 2023 20:45 UTC

Theo wrote:

> I like the theory of the Makita 2x18V system, where two LXT batteries powers
> a 36V tool.

I have several 36V tools (chainsaw, brushcutter, SDS) and I'm grateful
for not having to buy 40V batteries, though they do now make 2x40V tools
for the heavier stuff ...