Man who arrives at party two hours late will find he has been beaten to the punch.

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Re: sycmore seeds

SubjectAuthor
* sycmore seedsfred
+* Re: sycmore seedsColin Bignell
|`- Re: sycmore seedsAdrian
+- Re: sycmore seedsRod Speed
+* Re: sycmore seedsDavid
|+- Re: sycmore seedsThe Natural Philosopher
|`- Re: sycmore seedswrights...@f2s.com
+- Re: sycmore seedsTim Lamb
+* Re: sycmore seedsGB
|`* Re: sycmore seedsThe Natural Philosopher
| +- Re: sycmore seedsGB
| `* Re: sycmore seedsColin Bignell
|  `- Re: sycmore seedsThe Natural Philosopher
`* Re: sycmore seedsReentrant
 `- Re: sycmore seedsfred

1
sycmore seeds

<605283fa-18a8-4c87-9105-196a90a7b367n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=95908&group=uk.d-i-y#95908

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2023 01:39:15 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: sycmore seeds
From: tpmcc...@gmail.com (fred)
 by: fred - Thu, 20 Apr 2023 08:39 UTC

Last year saw a very large quantities of sycamore seeds helicopter into our garden. This spring every bed is covered in sycamore seedlings. Even the rain gutters have been invaded.
Is this likely to be a one off event or will we have to cut down the sycamore tree :-)

PaulMcCann

I have a theory that every plant/weed has its year. I've seen an excess of various weeds over the years

Re: sycmore seeds

<hQSdnbrWE7ZbYd35nZ2dnZeNn_SdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=95909&group=uk.d-i-y#95909

Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2023 09:51:26 +0100
Subject: Re: sycmore seeds
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
From: cpb...@bignellREMOVETHIS.me.uk (Colin Bignell)
 by: Colin Bignell - Thu, 20 Apr 2023 08:51 UTC

On 20/04/2023 09:39, fred wrote:
> Last year saw a very large quantities of sycamore seeds helicopter into our garden. This spring every bed is covered in sycamore seedlings. Even the rain gutters have been invaded.
> Is this likely to be a one off event or will we have to cut down the sycamore tree :-)

Picking up sycamore seedlings is an annual task in my garden. However,
if they are getting into your gutters, is the tree too close to the
house? Sycamore roots can punch through concrete foundations, so the
minimum recommended distance from any building with foundations is five
metres.

--
Colin Bignell

Re: sycmore seeds

<op.13oz4llobyq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=95910&group=uk.d-i-y#95910

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2023 19:18:11 +1000
 by: Rod Speed - Thu, 20 Apr 2023 09:18 UTC

On Thu, 20 Apr 2023 18:39:15 +1000, fred <tpmccann@gmail.com> wrote:

> Last year saw a very large quantities of sycamore seeds helicopter into
> our garden. This spring every bed is covered in sycamore seedlings. Even
> the rain gutters have been invaded.
> Is this likely to be a one off event or will we have to cut down the
> sycamore tree :-)
>
> PaulMcCann
>
> I have a theory that every plant/weed has its year.

Its a dud theory.

> I've seen an excess of various weeds over the years

Re: sycmore seeds

<kacfp7Fh2iqU4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=95911&group=uk.d-i-y#95911

From: wib...@btinternet.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 20 Apr 2023 09:43:03 GMT
 by: David - Thu, 20 Apr 2023 09:43 UTC

On Thu, 20 Apr 2023 01:39:15 -0700, fred wrote:

> Last year saw a very large quantities of sycamore seeds helicopter into
> our garden. This spring every bed is covered in sycamore seedlings. Even
> the rain gutters have been invaded.
> Is this likely to be a one off event or will we have to cut down the
> sycamore tree :-)
>
> PaulMcCann
>
> I have a theory that every plant/weed has its year. I've seen an excess
> of various weeds over the years

Having previously lived at a house with sycamore in the garden, I hate
them.

Fast growing, wide seeding, pain in the bum.

I would take the tree down, but freely admit to personal prejudice.

Cheers

Dave R

Re: sycmore seeds

<u1r23s$hg9g$10@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=95912&group=uk.d-i-y#95912

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2023 10:54:03 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Thu, 20 Apr 2023 09:54 UTC

On 20/04/2023 10:43, David wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Apr 2023 01:39:15 -0700, fred wrote:
>
>> Last year saw a very large quantities of sycamore seeds helicopter into
>> our garden. This spring every bed is covered in sycamore seedlings. Even
>> the rain gutters have been invaded.
>> Is this likely to be a one off event or will we have to cut down the
>> sycamore tree :-)
>>
>> PaulMcCann
>>
>> I have a theory that every plant/weed has its year. I've seen an excess
>> of various weeds over the years
>
> Having previously lived at a house with sycamore in the garden, I hate
> them.
>
> Fast growing, wide seeding, pain in the bum.
>
> I would take the tree down, but freely admit to personal prejudice.

Ive taken two down. They still sprout from the stumps

--
“it should be clear by now to everyone that activist environmentalism
about their freedom, about the relationship between the individual and

Vaclav Klaus

Re: sycmore seeds

<+LkEiOmQ3QQkFwMr@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=95916&group=uk.d-i-y#95916

From: tim...@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk (Tim Lamb)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2023 11:02:56 +0100
 by: Tim Lamb - Thu, 20 Apr 2023 10:02 UTC

In message <605283fa-18a8-4c87-9105-196a90a7b367n@googlegroups.com>,
fred <tpmccann@gmail.com> writes
>Last year saw a very large quantities of sycamore seeds helicopter into
>our garden. This spring every bed is covered in sycamore seedlings.
>Even the rain gutters have been invaded.
>Is this likely to be a one off event or will we have to cut down the
>sycamore tree :-)

Ha! These occasions must be rare or the world would be covered in
Sycamores!
In Southwold recently I chuckled as the carefully preserved Skillmans
Hill grass is larded with Sycamore seedlings:-)
Hand hoe is your friend.

>PaulMcCann
>
>I have a theory that every plant/weed has its year. I've seen an excess
>of various weeds over the years

--
Tim Lamb

Re: sycmore seeds

<u1r7ek$ipji$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=95922&group=uk.d-i-y#95922

From: NOTsome...@microsoft.invalid (GB)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2023 12:25:08 +0100
 by: GB - Thu, 20 Apr 2023 11:25 UTC

On 20/04/2023 09:39, fred wrote:
> Last year saw a very large quantities of sycamore seeds helicopter into our garden. This spring every bed is covered in sycamore seedlings. Even the rain gutters have been invaded.
> Is this likely to be a one off event or will we have to cut down the sycamore tree :-)
>
> PaulMcCann
>
> I have a theory that every plant/weed has its year. I've seen an excess of various weeds over the years

When trees are distressed, they drop masses more seeds than usual. I
think the idea is that, if the tree dies, at least it will have passed
on its genes. We have had some very hot seasons recently, so maybe your
sycamore has been distressed?

Re: sycmore seeds

<u1r7i1$ip43$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=95923&group=uk.d-i-y#95923

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2023 12:26:57 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Thu, 20 Apr 2023 11:26 UTC

On 20/04/2023 12:25, GB wrote:
> On 20/04/2023 09:39, fred wrote:
>> Last year saw a very large quantities of sycamore seeds helicopter
>> into our garden. This spring every bed is covered in sycamore
>> seedlings. Even the rain gutters have been invaded.
>> Is this likely to be a one off event or will we have to cut down the
>> sycamore tree :-)
>>
>> PaulMcCann
>>
>> I have a theory that every plant/weed has its year. I've seen an
>> excess of various weeds over the years
>

> When trees are distressed, they drop masses more seeds than usual. I
> think the idea is that, if the tree dies, at least it will have passed
> on its genes. We have had some very hot seasons recently, so maybe your
> sycamore has been distressed?

Yeah, its the same with humans. The onset of a cold or the flu makes you
horny. Well it always did with me.

look exactly the same afterwards."

Billy Connolly

Re: sycmore seeds

<u1r7ku$ipji$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=95924&group=uk.d-i-y#95924

From: NOTsome...@microsoft.invalid (GB)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2023 12:28:30 +0100
 by: GB - Thu, 20 Apr 2023 11:28 UTC

> On 20/04/2023 12:25, GB wrote:
>> On 20/04/2023 09:39, fred wrote:
>>> Last year saw a very large quantities of sycamore seeds helicopter
>>> into our garden. This spring every bed is covered in sycamore
>>> seedlings. Even the rain gutters have been invaded.
>>> Is this likely to be a one off event or will we have to cut down the
>>> sycamore tree :-)
>>>
>>> PaulMcCann
>>>
>>> I have a theory that every plant/weed has its year. I've seen an
>>> excess of various weeds over the years
>>

>> When trees are distressed, they drop masses more seeds than usual. I
>> think the idea is that, if the tree dies, at least it will have passed
>> on its genes. We have had some very hot seasons recently, so maybe
>> your sycamore has been distressed?
>>

> Yeah, its the same with humans. The onset of a cold or the flu makes you
> horny. Well it always did with me.

It's always good to add some tone to the conversation. :)

Re: sycmore seeds

<HOydnXqsT_YPs9z5nZ2dnZeNn_ednZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=95928&group=uk.d-i-y#95928

Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2023 13:25:19 +0100
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
From: cpb...@bignellREMOVETHIS.me.uk (Colin Bignell)
 by: Colin Bignell - Thu, 20 Apr 2023 12:25 UTC

> On 20/04/2023 12:25, GB wrote:
>> On 20/04/2023 09:39, fred wrote:
>>> Last year saw a very large quantities of sycamore seeds helicopter
>>> into our garden. This spring every bed is covered in sycamore
>>> seedlings. Even the rain gutters have been invaded.
>>> Is this likely to be a one off event or will we have to cut down the
>>> sycamore tree :-)
>>>
>>> PaulMcCann
>>>
>>> I have a theory that every plant/weed has its year. I've seen an
>>> excess of various weeds over the years
>>

>> When trees are distressed, they drop masses more seeds than usual. I
>> think the idea is that, if the tree dies, at least it will have passed
>> on its genes. We have had some very hot seasons recently, so maybe
>> your sycamore has been distressed?
>>

> Yeah, its the same with humans. The onset of a cold or the flu makes you
> horny. Well it always did with me.

Past tense?

--
Colin Bignell

Re: sycmore seeds

<u1rerl$jvap$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=95930&group=uk.d-i-y#95930

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2023 14:31:33 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Thu, 20 Apr 2023 13:31 UTC

On 20/04/2023 13:25, Colin Bignell wrote:
> On 20/04/2023 12:26, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

>>> When trees are distressed, they drop masses more seeds than usual. I
>>> think the idea is that, if the tree dies, at least it will have
>>> passed on its genes. We have had some very hot seasons recently, so
>>> maybe your sycamore has been distressed?
>>>

>> Yeah, its the same with humans. The onset of a cold or the flu makes
>> you horny. Well it always did with me.
>>

> Past tense?

way past

--
"If you don’t read the news paper, you are un-informed. If you read the
news paper, you are mis-informed."

Mark Twain

Re: sycmore seeds

<LRiJHiFg1VQkFwbV@ffoil.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=95940&group=uk.d-i-y#95940

From: diy...@ku.gro.lioff (Adrian)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2023 16:42:24 +0100
 by: Adrian - Thu, 20 Apr 2023 15:42 UTC

In message <hQSdnbrWE7ZbYd35nZ2dnZeNn_SdnZ2d@giganews.com>, Colin
Bignell <cpb@bignellREMOVETHIS.me.uk> writes
>On 20/04/2023 09:39, fred wrote:
>> Last year saw a very large quantities of sycamore seeds helicopter
>>into our garden. This spring every bed is covered in sycamore
>>seedlings. Even the rain gutters have been invaded.
>> Is this likely to be a one off event or will we have to cut down the
>>sycamore tree :-)
>
>Picking up sycamore seedlings is an annual task in my garden. However,
>if they are getting into your gutters, is the tree too close to the
>house?

I get them in my gutters and back garden. The nearest sycamores (they
are in a row) are at the bottom of the gardens of the houses on the
opposite side of the road I live on (several hundred feet away).

It is debatable who they belong to, and they are rumoured to be subject
to a tree order, so getting rid of them, which would be largely
appreciated by many of those living close by is unlikely. Their only
redeeming feature is that they provide a bit of a wind break when the
north wind doth blow, sadly that usually means depositing the seeds in a
wide area to the south of them (which means me).

Adrian.
--
To Reply :
replace "diy" with "news" and reverse the domain

If you are reading this from a web interface eg DIY Banter,
DIY Forum or Google Groups, please be aware this is NOT a forum, and
you are merely using a web portal to a USENET group. Many people block
posters coming from web portals due to perceieved SPAM or inaneness.
For a better method of access, please see:

Re: sycmore seeds

<R4mdnTxCQ8U1Gd_5nZ2dnZfqnPednZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=96006&group=uk.d-i-y#96006

Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2023 13:42:14 +0100
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
From: reentr...@invalid.org.uk (Reentrant)
 by: Reentrant - Fri, 21 Apr 2023 12:42 UTC

On 20/04/2023 09:39, fred wrote:
> Last year saw a very large quantities of sycamore seeds helicopter into our garden. This spring every bed is covered in sycamore seedlings. Even the rain gutters have been invaded.
> Is this likely to be a one off event or will we have to cut down the sycamore tree :-)
>
> PaulMcCann
>
> I have a theory that every plant/weed has its year. I've seen an excess of various weeds over the years

Google the term "mast year".

--
Reentrant

Re: sycmore seeds

<e79cafdb-b2de-4511-90f8-3daec177b39fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=96023&group=uk.d-i-y#96023

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2023 09:19:55 -0700 (PDT)
From: wrightsa...@f2s.com (wrights...@f2s.com)
 by: wrights...@f2s.com - Fri, 21 Apr 2023 16:19 UTC

On Thursday, 20 April 2023 at 10:43:09 UTC+1, David wrote:

> Fast growing, wide seeding, pain in the bum.

Well don't plant 'em in your bum.

Bill

Re: sycmore seeds

<496605fd-7b54-49c0-aaa2-9e65f8bf170fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=96077&group=uk.d-i-y#96077

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2023 02:41:46 -0700 (PDT)
From: tpmcc...@gmail.com (fred)
 by: fred - Sat, 22 Apr 2023 09:41 UTC

On Friday, April 21, 2023 at 1:42:29 PM UTC+1, Reentrant wrote:
> On 20/04/2023 09:39, fred wrote:
> > Last year saw a very large quantities of sycamore seeds helicopter into our garden. This spring every bed is covered in sycamore seedlings. Even the rain gutters have been invaded.
> > Is this likely to be a one off event or will we have to cut down the sycamore tree :-)
> >
> > PaulMcCann
> >
> > I have a theory that every plant/weed has its year. I've seen an excess of various weeds over the years
> Google the term "mast year".
>

> --
> Reentrant

exactly :~-)