How come only your friends step on your new white sneakers?

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: Jersey cycling officer’s £69,000 salary described as “eye watering” by former politician

SubjectAuthor
* Jersey cycling officer’s £69,000 salary describedswldx...@gmail.com
+- Re: Jersey fairy-cycling officer’s £69,0JNugent
+* Re: Jersey cycling officer’s £69,000 salary descrswldx...@gmail.com
|`- Re: Jersey cycling officer’s £69,000 salarSpike
+* Re: Jersey cycling officer’s £69,000 salary descrswldx...@gmail.com
|+- Re: Jersey cycling officer’s £69,000 salarSpike
|`- Re: Jersey cycling officer’s £69,000 salary descrswldx...@gmail.com
+* Re: Jersey cycling officer’s £69,000 salary descrMike Collins
|`* Re: Jersey cycling officer’s £69,000 salarSpike
| `* Re: Jersey cycling officer’s £69,000 salary descrMike Collins
|  +- Re: Jersey cycling officer’s £69,000 salJNugent
|  `- Re: Jersey cycling officer’s £69,000 salarSpike
`- Re: Jersey cycling officer’s £69,000 salary descrswldx...@gmail.com

1
Jersey cycling officer’s £69,000 salary described as “eye watering” by former politician

<2ac058e5-e74c-4f23-9583-87a9d3ac3a26n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9608&group=uk.rec.cycling#9608

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 12 May 2022 10:07:07 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Jersey_cycling_officer’s_£69,000_salary_described
_as_“eye_watering”_by_former_politician_
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Thu, 12 May 2022 17:07 UTC

The Government of Jersey is hiring a new Cycling Officer – and the successful candidate will earn what one former politician has described as an “eye watering” salary.

The role is currently being advertised (link is external) as Jersey’s government aims to “drive forward cycling improvements in the island”.

According to the job description, the successful candidate will support the government’s Sustainable Travel policy to “progress our ‘cycling roadmap’ by overcoming barriers to cycling through better information and the creation of cycle routes that are coherent, legible, and comfortable.”

The job also requires the technical skills to fully develop bike infrastructure concepts alongside engineering colleagues.

However, the salary for the role – which ranges between £63,000 and £69,000 – has been criticised by former Jersey politician Ben Shenton, who has described it as “eye watering”.

Shenton, who served as a senator in Jersey’s parliament between 2005 and 2011 and was the island’s Minister for Health and Social Services, told ITV (link is external) that while the Cycling Officer role was important, it should be priced locally.

“I'm more interested as a tax payer in getting value for money for the taxes I pay,” the 62-year-old said.

“So make sure the role is actually needed. There were two other similar roles to do with the transport strategy and try and hire locally and get the best people but get them at the right price.

“I think if you're a nurse or a vet or a pharmacy person you're going to look at that and just think my goodness what is going on here.”

Responding to Shenton’s comments, the government’s press office told road.cc: “For clarity, the job is not about teaching people to cycle, but about supporting the Government of Jersey Sustainable Transport Policy as a senior engineer, furthering schemes for better cycling infrastructure and contributing to the behavioural change required to reach net-zero emissions.”

The government clarified that the post is designed for a professionally qualified Transport Planner, Highway or Civil Engineer at a Chartered Level, and that the successful candidate will “specifically lead on the development and delivery of infrastructure projects being identified through the Active Travel Plan.”

https://road.cc/content/news/jersey-cycling-officers-salary-eye-watering-292729

Re: Jersey fairy-cycling officer’s £69,000 salary described as “eye watering” by former politician

<je5bdsF1aqqU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9609&group=uk.rec.cycling#9609

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re:_Jersey_fairy-cycling_officer’s_£69,0
Date: Thu, 12 May 2022 22:10:21 +0100
 by: JNugent - Thu, 12 May 2022 21:10 UTC

> The Government of Jersey is hiring a new Fairy-Cycling Officer – and the successful candidate will earn what one former politician has described as an “eye watering” salary.
>
> The role is currently being advertised (link is external) as Jersey’s government aims to “drive forward fairy-cycling improvements in the island”.
>
> According to the job description, the successful candidate will support the government’s Sustainable Travel policy to “progress our ‘fairy-cycling roadmap’ by overcoming barriers to fairy-cycling through better information and the creation of fairy-cycle routes that are coherent, legible, and comfortable.”
>
> The job also requires the technical skills to fully develop fairy-bike infrastructure concepts alongside engineering colleagues.
>
> However, the salary for the role – which ranges between £63,000 and £69,000 – has been criticised by former Jersey politician Ben Shenton, who has described it as “eye watering”.
>
> Shenton, who served as a senator in Jersey’s parliament between 2005 and 2011 and was the island’s Minister for Health and Social Services, told ITV (link is external) that while the Fairy-Cycling Officer role was important, it should be priced locally.
>
> “I'm more interested as a tax payer in getting value for money for the taxes I pay,” the 62-year-old said.
>
> “So make sure the role is actually needed. There were two other similar roles to do with the transport strategy and try and hire locally and get the best people but get them at the right price.
>
> “I think if you're a nurse or a vet or a pharmacy person you're going to look at that and just think my goodness what is going on here.”
>
> Responding to Shenton’s comments, the government’s press office told road.cc: “For clarity, the job is not about teaching people to fairy-cycle, but about supporting the Government of Jersey Sustainable Transport Policy as a senior engineer, furthering schemes for better fairy-cycling infrastructure and contributing to the behavioural change required to reach net-zero emissions.”
>
> The government clarified that the post is designed for a professionally qualified Transport Planner, Highway or Civil Engineer at a Chartered Level, and that the successful candidate will “specifically lead on the development and delivery of infrastructure projects being identified through the Active Travel Plan.”
>

> https://road.cc/content/news/jersey-cycling-officers-salary-eye-watering-292729

To be fair, it's only eye-watering to the poor taxpayers who have to
finance it and get absolutely nothing useful back in return.

And they don't really matter, do they?

Re: Jersey cycling officer’s £69,000 salary described as “eye watering” by former politician

<96210419-31e3-4a23-9653-000a665749f2n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9621&group=uk.rec.cycling#9621

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 13 May 2022 03:07:02 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re:_Jersey_cycling_officer’s_£69,000_salary_descr
ibed_as_“eye_watering”_by_former_politician
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Fri, 13 May 2022 10:07 UTC

> Responding to Shenton’s comments, the government’s press office told road.cc: “For clarity, the job is not about teaching people to cycle, but about supporting the Government of Jersey Sustainable Transport Policy as a senior engineer, furthering schemes for better cycling infrastructure and contributing to the behavioural change required to reach net-zero emissions.”

Seems a very noble cause - hence the high salary.

Re: Jersey cycling officer’s £69,000 salary described as “eye watering” by former politician

<je6qr0F9q7sU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9626&group=uk.rec.cycling#9626

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re:_Jersey_cycling_officer’s_£69,000_salar
y_described_as_“eye_watering”_by_former_politicia
Date: Fri, 13 May 2022 10:39:30 +0000
 by: Spike - Fri, 13 May 2022 10:39 UTC

On 13/05/2022 10:07, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

>> Responding to Shenton’s comments, the government’s press office told road.cc: “For clarity, the job is not about teaching people to cycle, but about supporting the Government of Jersey Sustainable Transport Policy as a senior engineer, furthering schemes for better cycling infrastructure and contributing to the behavioural change required to reach net-zero emissions.”

> Seems a very noble cause - hence the high salary.

It isn't a 'cause', it's a (politically-inspired)(over-paid) job.

Still, it's small beer compared the the BBC's equivalent:

"BBC chiefs are forced to defend their Diversity Tsar June Sarpong being
paid £267,000-a-year for a three-day week"

<https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9821813/BBC-chiefs-forced-defend-June-Sarpong-paid-267-000-year-three-day-week.html>

--
Spike

Re: Jersey cycling officer’s £69,000 salary described as “eye watering” by former politician

<69bb3809-f523-4bb1-a79e-16ac27300bben@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9631&group=uk.rec.cycling#9631

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 13 May 2022 06:46:21 -0700 (PDT)
ibed_as_“eye_watering”_by_former_politician
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Fri, 13 May 2022 13:46 UTC

> Responding to Shenton’s comments, the government’s press office told road.cc: “For clarity, the job is not about teaching people to cycle, but about supporting the Government of Jersey Sustainable Transport Policy as a senior engineer, furthering schemes for better cycling infrastructure and contributing to the behavioural change required to reach net-zero emissions.”

CASE CLOSED:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/oct/19/case-closed-999-of-scientists-agree-climate-emergency-caused-by-humans

Re: Jersey cycling officer’s £69,000 salary described as “eye watering” by former politician

<je94l0Fn3gaU2@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9658&group=uk.rec.cycling#9658

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
y_described_as_“eye_watering”_by_former_politicia
Date: Sat, 14 May 2022 07:39:15 +0000
 by: Spike - Sat, 14 May 2022 07:39 UTC

On 13/05/2022 13:46, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

>> Responding to Shenton’s comments, the government’s press office told road.cc: “For clarity, the job is not about teaching people to cycle, but about supporting the Government of Jersey Sustainable Transport Policy as a senior engineer, furthering schemes for better cycling infrastructure and contributing to the behavioural change required to reach net-zero emissions.”

> CASE CLOSED:

> https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/oct/19/case-closed-999-of-scientists-agree-climate-emergency-caused-by-humans

In the Dangerous Unprecedented Catastrophic Anthropogenic Climate Change
Global
Heating Emergency Alarm system, only the future is certain. The past is
constantly being
revised. Unite behind the science!

--
Spike

Re: Jersey cycling officer’s £69,000 salary described as “eye watering” by former politician

<468d9578-974d-4e82-89f9-fd58a40271can@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9672&group=uk.rec.cycling#9672

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 14 May 2022 02:33:33 -0700 (PDT)
ibed_as_“eye_watering”_by_former_politician
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sat, 14 May 2022 09:33 UTC

On Friday, May 13, 2022 at 2:46:22 PM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

> > Responding to Shenton’s comments, the government’s press office told road.cc: “For clarity, the job is not about teaching people to cycle, but about supporting the Government of Jersey Sustainable Transport Policy as a senior engineer, furthering schemes for better cycling infrastructure and contributing to the behavioural change required to reach net-zero emissions.”
> CASE CLOSED:
>
> https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/oct/19/case-closed-999-of-scientists-agree-climate-emergency-caused-by-humans

I blame those pinkos at Exxon!

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/exxon-knew-about-climate-change-almost-40-years-ago/

Re: Jersey cycling officer’s £69,000 salary described as “eye watering” by former politician

<9034160d-9b17-41a1-8a17-ba1097e2c999n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9714&group=uk.rec.cycling#9714

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 14 May 2022 11:51:51 -0700 (PDT)
ibed_as_“eye_watering”_by_former_politician
From: cmike8...@gmail.com (Mike Collins)
 by: Mike Collins - Sat, 14 May 2022 18:51 UTC

On Thursday, 12 May 2022 at 18:07:08 UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> The Government of Jersey is hiring a new Cycling Officer – and the successful candidate will earn what one former politician has described as an “eye watering” salary.
>
> The role is currently being advertised (link is external) as Jersey’s government aims to “drive forward cycling improvements in the island”.
>
> According to the job description, the successful candidate will support the government’s Sustainable Travel policy to “progress our ‘cycling roadmap’ by overcoming barriers to cycling through better information and the creation of cycle routes that are coherent, legible, and comfortable.”
>
> The job also requires the technical skills to fully develop bike infrastructure concepts alongside engineering colleagues.
>
> However, the salary for the role – which ranges between £63,000 and £69,000 – has been criticised by former Jersey politician Ben Shenton, who has described it as “eye watering”.
>
> Shenton, who served as a senator in Jersey’s parliament between 2005 and 2011 and was the island’s Minister for Health and Social Services, told ITV (link is external) that while the Cycling Officer role was important, it should be priced locally.
>
> “I'm more interested as a tax payer in getting value for money for the taxes I pay,” the 62-year-old said.
>
> “So make sure the role is actually needed. There were two other similar roles to do with the transport strategy and try and hire locally and get the best people but get them at the right price.
>
> “I think if you're a nurse or a vet or a pharmacy person you're going to look at that and just think my goodness what is going on here.”
>
> Responding to Shenton’s comments, the government’s press office told road.cc: “For clarity, the job is not about teaching people to cycle, but about supporting the Government of Jersey Sustainable Transport Policy as a senior engineer, furthering schemes for better cycling infrastructure and contributing to the behavioural change required to reach net-zero emissions.”
>
> The government clarified that the post is designed for a professionally qualified Transport Planner, Highway or Civil Engineer at a Chartered Level, and that the successful candidate will “specifically lead on the development and delivery of infrastructure projects being identified through the Active Travel Plan.”
>

> https://road.cc/content/news/jersey-cycling-officers-salary-eye-watering-292729

I have to agree, how can someone live off such a low income. 40% of it will subsidise motorists

Re: Jersey cycling officer’s £69,000 salary described as “eye watering” by former politician

<jebr5nF8mq4U3@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9727&group=uk.rec.cycling#9727

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
y_described_as_“eye_watering”_by_former_politicia
Date: Sun, 15 May 2022 08:15:56 +0000
 by: Spike - Sun, 15 May 2022 08:15 UTC

On 14/05/2022 18:51, Mike Collins wrote:

> how can someone live off such a low income. 40% of it will subsidise motorists

Show your working:

--
Spike

Re: Jersey cycling officer’s £69,000 salary described as “eye watering” by former politician

<1f03287b-fd34-4d32-b026-e3fc211dab04n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9731&group=uk.rec.cycling#9731

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 15 May 2022 03:21:59 -0700 (PDT)
ibed_as_“eye_watering”_by_former_politician
From: cmike8...@gmail.com (Mike Collins)
 by: Mike Collins - Sun, 15 May 2022 10:21 UTC

On Sunday, 15 May 2022 at 09:15:54 UTC+1, Spike wrote:
> On 14/05/2022 18:51, Mike Collins wrote:
>
> > how can someone live off such a low income. 40% of it will subsidise motorists
> Show your working:

What maths qualifications do you have and supply certificates to prove it.
I have 3 Maths A-Levels, 1 in pure and 1 in applied.

Re: Jersey cycling officer’s £69,000 salary described as “eye watering” by former politician

<jec7qfFb07fU5@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9740&group=uk.rec.cycling#9740

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re:_Jersey_cycling_officer’s_£69,000_sal
Date: Sun, 15 May 2022 12:51:43 +0100
 by: JNugent - Sun, 15 May 2022 11:51 UTC

On 15/05/2022 11:21 am, Mike Collins wrote:
> On Sunday, 15 May 2022 at 09:15:54 UTC+1, Spike wrote:
>> On 14/05/2022 18:51, Mike Collins wrote:
>>
>>> how can someone live off such a low income. 40% of it will subsidise motorists
>> Show your working:
>>

> What maths qualifications do you have and supply certificates to prove it.
> I have 3 Maths A-Levels, 1 in pure and 1 in applied.

Then show your figures.

If you have any.

Re: Jersey cycling officer’s £69,000 salary described as “eye watering” by former politician

<jec9isFbcaeU2@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9742&group=uk.rec.cycling#9742

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
y_described_as_“eye_watering”_by_former_politicia
Date: Sun, 15 May 2022 12:21:48 +0000
 by: Spike - Sun, 15 May 2022 12:21 UTC

On 15/05/2022 10:21, Mike Collins wrote:
> On Sunday, 15 May 2022 at 09:15:54 UTC+1, Spike wrote:
>> On 14/05/2022 18:51, Mike Collins wrote:

>>> how can someone live off such a low income. 40% of it will subsidise motorists

>> Show your working:

> What maths qualifications do you have and supply certificates to prove it.
> I have 3 Maths A-Levels, 1 in pure and 1 in applied.

Show your working:

--
Spike

Re: Jersey cycling officer’s £69,000 salary described as “eye watering” by former politician

<c1868917-2f72-4d99-b1c3-c8fc9165e5e9n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9747&group=uk.rec.cycling#9747

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 15 May 2022 05:56:13 -0700 (PDT)
ibed_as_“eye_watering”_by_former_politician
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sun, 15 May 2022 12:56 UTC

> “I think if you're a nurse or a vet or a pharmacy person you're going to look at that and just think my goodness what is going on here.”

I'd think that zero polluting transport jobs are being well funded - what else?